• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soprano Sarah Brightman Sings 10th Pokémon Movie Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aniboy1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
'Internationally acclaimed soprano'? I think not. *snort*

All real opera singers think Sarah Brightman is a joke, and the only acclaim she receives is from her record company when her latest new age album sells well.

But that's not really important. I just find that description very irksome. *G*

I don't think it's such a bad thing for her career to be on the Pokemon soundtrack -- since the only people who will actually know are anime fans, I'm sure her own fans wouldn't have a clue, so it's not a big deal either way. Whatever pays the bills, right? Smile

I think if you check your facts youd find that she is the worlds biggest selling soprano and had the 3d highest grossing tour of 2004. Multi platinum and gold record sales negate any jealous comments from other performers or naysayers in general. This is not the first time she has recorded a song for the Asian region, besides the aforementioned Sarahbande, she also did a song entitled Namida (When Firebirds Cry) for a video game. As a fan from Long Beach myself I did create an account here just to let you and others know that her fans are well aware of this move in her career and are thrilled. As I understand it the song is mainly english with the title sung in Japanese. Cant wait to hear the full version. Oh and yes, big anime fan here as well.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
Hmm, got some people hatin' on either Sarah Brightman or the fact that she's going to do Pokemon, as to saying that it's a step down in her career. I don't see the problem here with that. It's Pokemon, harmless, and many more people will know about her, or at least if at all remember the voice that was heard for the theme song for the movie.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:58 am Reply with quote
I've never seen The Sopranos (haha, get it, Soprano) and so I've never heard her before.

Seriously though, she was in Cats and that didn't help it, so I don't really know where she's coming from for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote
This is a step down? Ok, I'm confused. When have performers ever hurt their careers by appearing briefly for children's animation? I don't see this as any different than any of the celebrities who appear in cartoon roles (which is... a lot of them).
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
This is a step down? Ok, I'm confused. When have performers ever hurt their careers by appearing briefly for children's animation? I don't see this as any different than any of the celebrities who appear in cartoon roles (which is... a lot of them).

It's not an animation, but Vanilla Ice's appearance in TMNT 2 was pretty bad. I would say it hurt his career. And I quote...

Vanilla Ice wrote:
"Ninja, ninja rrrrap! Ninja, ninja rrrrap! Go ninja go ninja go! Go ninja go ninja go!"
mokitty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Seriously though, she was in Cats and that didn't help it, so I don't really know where she's coming from for this.

Sarah was in Cats before Phantom, and it did help her a great deal because that's how she met Andrew Lloyd Webber. Smile But that was decades ago.

Nowadays she's rolling in dough doing "classical crossover" -- a sort of opera lite, if you will, which uses operatic vocals and pop/rock/whatever everything else. There are a lot of people whose renown would probably not be as great if she hadn't opened the door for a lot of people to listen to opera (Il Divo and Josh Groban come to mind though I'm sure someone out there will flame me for saying this).

And I had forgotten about Namida; as aniboy mentioned, the song was recorded for Tengai Makyou 3 on PS2. The difference here being, it seems that this song for Pokemon was actually recorded for her upcoming album and is just being licensed for the movie, where Sarahbande and Namida (When Firebirds Cry) were both recorded specifically for the media they appeared in and never saw a release except as bonus tracks on the Japanese version of her last album.
So really, being critical, this is actually a step UP from recording a song just for a little-known series of RPGs that's not available outside Japan. Laughing And putting a song that was going to be released anyway in a movie is very unlikely to hurt anyone's career.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
Well, they always go all out for the movies. Animation, music, a story of sorts.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Well, they always go all out for the movies. Animation, music, a story of sorts.

That's what I find interesting about Japanese movies, a lot of them always have somebody sing an ending theme song for them, sometimes that song will be totally out of tune with what the movie was all about. This isn't the first I've heard about getting a non-Japanese person/group to sing. Remember there was the Red Hot Chili Peppers who sang "Dani California" for the first Death Note movie.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the problem. It seems like it's being licensed out to the movie, and not specifically written for it. With my own opinions of Pokemon, it would seem like a step down to me, but I can't deny their popularity, so it doesn't appear to be a bad decision.
She has a good voice (though sometimes it's a bit lifeless) so I would say good job to the Pokemon people for getting someone so renowned into their movie.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
aniboy1 wrote:

I think if you check your facts youd find that she is the worlds biggest selling soprano and had the 3d highest grossing tour of 2004

I *never* said she wasn't a big seller (I think I rather emphasized the point) or that she wasn't popular. I know these things very well. I've been aware of her career for over 20 years, please don't assume I don't know these things because I do.

Popular and talented are not always the same thing. Yes, she is a very good singer. She is not, however, a very good opera singer. There is a difference.

I also never said it was a bad thing for her career to sing this theme. It sounds rather lovely, in fact, and I hope it boosts her album sales. I am not 'hating' on Sarah Brightman at all. I have no problem with her being popular, or renowned, or anything of the sort. My only issue seems to have been entirely of my own manufacture, I misread the press release and got annoyed by a turn of phrase that was not actually there, for which I do apologize. I know people *have* addressed her as an 'acclaimed opera singer' in the past and that label really, really irritates me, as I am also a singer who has trained in under a professional opera coach and know for a fact that most true sopranos dislike her intensely. Or at least, they dislike the songs she sings that many of her fans assume is operatic and is in fact classical pop music.

Whew! Can we get back to being pleasant and happy now please? It's ever so much more fun. Smile
Dune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not an animation, but Vanilla Ice's appearance in TMNT 2 was pretty bad.

Just recently I found the official Go Ninja music video. Be honest, how can something so extreme be bad? Laughing

If the next Pokemon movie rushes to a complete halt so that Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket could stumble into the middle of a Sarah Brightman concert... yeah, that'd be fun.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon is but a trickle now compared to the tidal wave it was about 7 years ago. So she's not really getting the mainstream attention many people are thinking she'll get.
Jamee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
So it's really true! Shocked

Well, good for her.
Jamee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, double post.
Belldandy's Lover!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Just to set it straight, any person that cares about pokemon at all should understand that it doesn't matter whos singing what, but that it is still pokemon and the singers won't change that. But btw, Sarah Brightman is an acclaimed singer so we should be happy for her singing the pokemon theme, especially because it is the tenth anniversary movie apparently. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3