• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soprano Sarah Brightman Sings 10th Pokémon Movie Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Pokemon is but a trickle now compared to the tidal wave it was about 7 years ago. So she's not really getting the mainstream attention many people are thinking she'll get.

Yes, that statement would be true... In America. However, it doesn't seem you realise how big the Pokemon movies still are in Japan.

Just look at the rankings for the 8th Pokemon movie in Japan 2 years ago.

It was second in anime films only to Howl's Moving Castle. That means it beat Detective Conan, Crayon Shin-chan, One Piece, Naruto and even Fullmetal Alchemist. As you can see, in Japan, Pokemon is serious business.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
'Internationally acclaimed soprano'? I think not. *snort*

All real opera singers think Sarah Brightman is a joke, and the only acclaim she receives is from her record company when her latest new age album sells well.

But that's not really important. I just find that description very irksome. *G*

I did read your further clarification as well, but I have no idea how that statement should be irksome because whether you like her or not she is an internationally acclaimed soprano. And to say the only praise her albums get is from her records company is just kind of funny, considering that she's also internationally extremely well reviewed.

Additionally, I doubt 'all real opera singers' think she is a joke. I think that's a bit of a sweeping generalization. I'll make sure to ask around, and if they like her they must not be real opera singers. The woman can still sing opera, and darn well, she's just decided to cross over into other genres. Big deal.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Pokemon is but a trickle now compared to the tidal wave it was about 7 years ago. So she's not really getting the mainstream attention many people are thinking she'll get.

Yes, that statement would be true... In America. However, it doesn't seem you realise how big the Pokemon movies still are in Japan.

Just look at the rankings for the 8th Pokemon movie in Japan 2 years ago.

It was second in anime films only to Howl's Moving Castle. That means it beat Detective Conan, Crayon Shin-chan, One Piece, Naruto and even Fullmetal Alchemist. As you can see, in Japan, Pokemon is serious business.

They even have a Pokemon theme park.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
I ment in america. In Japan it's a given. Sheesh. Rolling Eyes
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:

Popular and talented are not always the same thing. Yes, she is a very good singer. She is not, however, a very good opera singer. There is a difference.

I also never said it was a bad thing for her career to sing this theme. It sounds rather lovely, in fact, and I hope it boosts her album sales. I am not 'hating' on Sarah Brightman at all. I have no problem with her being popular, or renowned, or anything of the sort. My only issue seems to have been entirely of my own manufacture, I misread the press release and got annoyed by a turn of phrase that was not actually there, for which I do apologize. I know people *have* addressed her as an 'acclaimed opera singer' in the past and that label really, really irritates me, as I am also a singer who has trained in under a professional opera coach and know for a fact that most true sopranos dislike her intensely. Or at least, they dislike the songs she sings that many of her fans assume is operatic and is in fact classical pop music.

Whew! Can we get back to being pleasant and happy now please? It's ever so much more fun. Smile

I feel that as a fellow singer I should back you up on this, and give another singer's opinion. I am very opinionated on the quality of "popular" or "acclaimed" singers (American Idol drives me mad).

I think that Brightman has a good and unique quality of voice, but as I mentioned before, she can be a little lifeless. And she's a (self-admitted) horrible actress. I don't think of her as a "joke," as I have heard her do some very beautiful pieces. However I'm not really into her style.

I think I can help clarify Neverwhere's opinion here. He thinks that referring to her as an "opera singer" is the problem; that she is not an opera singer, but a pop singer. And by saying that she's an "acclaimed SOPRANO," she's being classified as an opera singer. We don't call Britney Spears a "soprano." Maria Callas on the other hand was a soprano. I'm not sure if I agree with Neverwhere's opinion here regarding Brightman (or on this definition of a soprano), but I thought I should help clarify what he might have been trying to say.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
I think I can help clarify Neverwhere's opinion here. He thinks that referring to her as an "opera singer" is the problem; that she is not an opera singer, but a pop singer. And by saying that she's an "acclaimed SOPRANO," she's being classified as an opera singer. We don't call Britney Spears a "soprano." Maria Callas on the other hand was a soprano. I'm not sure if I agree with Neverwhere's opinion here regarding Brightman (or on this definition of a soprano), but I thought I should help clarify what he might have been trying to say.

All this discussion for words that never appeared in the article. Smile The article calls her an "internationally renowned soprano," with no mention of "acclaimed" or "opera singer."

The word "soprano" does not equate "opera singer." "Soprano" is a musical term used extensively outside operas, such as for Broadway and London musicals—including The Phantom of the Opera. The term "soprano" in music predates the evolution of operas. Even the Japanese newspaper articles call Brightman a soprano. Actor Tim Curry was a boy soprano, but he didn't appear in any operas back then. Wink

http://www.stageagent.com/shows.php?id=1015
http://www.bravobroadway.com/bravo/bravo.nsf/artists?OpenForm
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I had no idea my little irrational remark would spark such vitriol, am most exceedingly suprised. Crying or Very sad

I may have overreacted, but so are the people attacking me. I did apologize and admitted my mistake, there's no need to be quite so rude.

From now on I will definitely confine my comments to analysing and remarking upon the joys of anime, and leave my personal life and opinions off the board. Confused

I'm so sorry I said anything. Can we please just go back to sharing the anime love? Yay Pokemon. Yay internationally famous singers singing for anime. And so on. Anime smile
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Anyways...o-o

I can't wait for the 10th movie since who knows what the animators have in store for us this time. It's the 10th anniversary!

Hopefully there will be a lot of Satoshi shots. Embarassed -falls over-

Many people believe that Pigeot from the trailer is Satoshi's. Who knows...though it would be awesome if it was. Good ol' Pigeot to the rescue. Anime hyper

I'm definately going to get the soundtrack when it comes out. The music sounds really good from what I've heard so far in the trailers.

Um yeah..

Hopefully PokemonUSA will keep the song instead of constructing another one like they did with Sowelu's "Mamoru Beki Mono" song.
libralion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
Hello all,
I love the new song, Be with you. I think Sarah really sings it great! Just like before Namida. That was a fantastic song too!

Johanna Very Happy
www.sarah-brightman.nl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
demon2025

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of Sarah Brightman! my Brother Likes Pokemon so I am pleased that they are together because it wasnt long ago that I was just as obsessed with pokemon as he is! noe even though its not age appropriate I still on occasion enjoy watching it and adding more cards to my collection! I really dont understand what people have against Sarah, I mean If I were a performer I guess Id be a tad envious of her but I wouldnt trash her! Did you know she has sold over 25 million Cds and over 2 million Dvds in the last 8 years Alone? lets not forget all the album she sold back when She was in Hot Gossip, Nightingale and the Trees they grow so High! I am also a member of her Official website fan group and I must say that we most certainly are aware of this fact about her being in the pokemon movie and about 90% of us are thrilled! any way I cant wait for this Pokemon movie 2 get 2 America!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3