• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Books-A-Million Seeks to Acquire 14 Borders Stores

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
Rats! I was hoping they'd grab the Eatontown, NJ store seeing it was close to Monmouth University.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
I was pretty surprised to hear on the news this morning that they gabbed both Maine Borders stores. Not that I actually go to book stores anymore.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
Huh, none in my area yet...
nekedo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quote
I would have liked one in MA...

But I hope BAM is very careful. Over-extension is part of reason Borders got in trouble in the first place.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quote
Good news: If this happens, then the Columbia Crossing, Columbia, MD will be the closest Borders near me!!

Bad news: I'm at college....in Richmond, VA. Sad
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
I wish they had opened a BAM store somewhere closer to me. Traverse City is a few hours away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
Yes! Yes! Please buy the Davenport one, otherwise all that will be left in the area for bookstores are B&Ns.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
lol the closest one looks to be Canton, OH and thats a 3 hour drive possibly more depending on traffic.

There is a Books A Million store an hour from here I don't know about their manga selection though and I doubt my parents or anyone would drive me there after/before going to the mall since its out of the way. Dx
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Come on lets this happen my store is on the list
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope BAM acquires the one in Dolphin Mall in Miami.
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Good news: If this happens, then the Columbia Crossing, Columbia, MD will be the closest Borders near me!!

Bad news: I'm at college....in Richmond, VA. Sad

I imagine they won't be keeping the Borders name. Also, there is a Books-a-Million on the 8000 block of Broad Street, as well as a Barnes & Noble just past Willow Lawn. But if you're driving anyway you're better off going to the one in Short Pump.

I much rather wish it was BN picking up these stores. BAM has until recently been primarily a southern chain, with the conservative viewpoint to prove it. But if they're having some success maybe they'll pay their employees more instead of more marketing campaigns based around the CEO's third wife. Bitter ex-employee; can you tell? Wink

Last edited by corinthian on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Funny they're not taking up the store here in Toledo though. Love to see how Aussie-based Westfield will try to fill up that gap!
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Books-A-Million is okay as they sometimes have a manga deal of buy one, get one free. I have a membership with them. Since one of my malls already has a BAM, the biggest mall in my town will not get a BAM due to this. But in truth, I wouldn't mind having two BAMs because that mall has become pretty boring without a bookstore (with the exception of the AMC theater). :/ Either that or B&N acquire that former Borders spot, even though, there's already two B&Ns within the approximate area.

(G.S. Plaza, you're driving me maaaad with no Borders!!!)

The only thing with BAM is that, unlike Borders' price tag stickers, BAM's sticker quality is not that nice. It's hard to peel them off. =___= Just to pre-warn you guys. Do not attempt to peel them unless you have a really good method of getting BAM stickers off.

This is why, I'm kind of reluctant of getting anything from BAM unless I can't help it. >,<

corinthian wrote:

I much rather wish it was BN picking up these stores. BAM has until recently been primarily a southern chain, with the conservative viewpoint to prove it. But if they're having some success maybe they'll pay their employees more instead of more marketing campaigns based around the CEO's third wife. Bitter ex-employee; can you tell? Wink

And thanks for this little tidbit of info. I knew of BAM a little before it moved into my town (here in NJ), but I was kind of shocked when seeing it. I knew it was a strictly regional bookstore chain prior to its expansion. Funny thing, I haven't really felt any conservative viewpoints (if you mean by book selection) surrounding the store, but that may be due to being very far from the South. Haha.. ^^;
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't speak for the chain, but the local Books-a-Million is very slow to stock. Sometimes weeks or months after the official release date. On the other hand they keep titles longer than B&N.

In addition they have as much, if not more, space for remainders than for current books. I quit shopping there because I couldn't find anything.

They are no where close to as good as Borders was. Unfortunately, they were listed as an excuse by Borders for not opening a store here when they closed the local Walden Books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2