• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: How Should Funimation Release One Piece?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I personally appreciate the "I don't particularly care about One Piece, but I demand a voting option that allows me to express my lack of interest in the topic" option; it made me laugh (and, incidentally, was the option I chose).

This is why I love ANN's polls.

Although it wasn't how I voted, I must admit that option is freaking hilarious. If wasn't talking to a customer on the phone at the time, I would have laughed as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey, at least the "Start from the beginning..." and "Alternate..." options are at front. Since FUNi isn't foolish in discerning what the fans want (outside of their video issues, that is), then I'd suspect that fans will get the earlier episodes dubbed soon enough.

No real problem with me, though, as I'm just sticking to buying the manga and maybe catch an episode here and there on Toonami if I've nothing much else to do (it'll give me a reason to watch anime on television again, at least).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Not that I plan on EVER getting this series but I voted that Funi should start from the very beginning.
Why not? It's a surprisingly good shounen series. Weird as hell at time but some of the stories can flat out make you cry. (Try to watch Robin's backstory without shedding a tear.)

Well, when it shows up on Cartoon Network, I may give it a shot...if it starts from the beginning. But, as much as I enjoyed Inu Yasha and I'm enjoying
Bleach
, I'm actually not into super long fighting anime.

But, I will give it a shot...has to be from the beginning, though.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
>>Start from the beginning - 393 (52.5%)

Ye gods.

Most of the edits of 4Kids, at least pertaining to censorship and terminology, were dictated by Toei Animation, and FUNimation is contractually bound to stick with them - that means we'll still have lolipops, "Zolo" and "the Navy" instead of "the Marines". No obnoxious music or corny dialogue, but the edits remain. The basic story will be the same.

Are people really so dense as to think that starting over from episode one is going to "kick-start" the OP franchise? I've always advocated that if another company does get the OP license, it should pick an arc with a lot of action (like Skypiea or Baratie) and advertise it on Toonami as "new and improved" (my example was "Don Krieg's Revenge").

But from the beginning? Where the show sucked? I'm not just speaking for myself, but almost every fan of One Piece admits the show didn't really get glorious until the end of Drum and all of Arabasta, with Arlong being a foreshadow to future legendary status; Skypiea is along the same caliber as Arabasta and, perhaps most of all, it's original, refreshing, and epic, with all the familiar elements of a pirate story (Native Americans, gold, religion, forests, war, sailing, skull island, legends, mysterious artifacts, ruins, giant beasts) and is basically a summary of what the series is about.

I know a lot of people skipped Skypiea for Ener knows why, but jeez, people, use your heads. Won't the general populace be, I dunno, sick of never-ending East Blue saga episode spams? After the number of reruns 4Kids saturated Toonami and Miguzi with?

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Well didn't they kinda do the alternating thing with Case Closed? They're gonna show it on TV starting from where 4kids left off right? Or am I remembering wrong?
Either way alternating is just fine. New fans can get introduced, and people who were following the 4kids version (despite the dub) will get to continue also.

I'm just excited to hear their new voices.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the edits of 4Kids, at least pertaining to censorship and terminology, were dictated by Toei Animation, and FUNimation is contractually bound to stick with them - that means we'll still have lolipops, "Zolo" and "the Navy" instead of "the Marines". No obnoxious music or corny dialogue, but the edits remain. The basic story will be the same

They were dictated by Toei for 4kids range of censorship they do. FUNimation's censorship levels are on a different level and Toei may and probably will change it up. In fact I know they will, Sanji will have his cigs and Smoker will have his Cigars and his name. Zolo may stay the same and for the love of god make it the Marines again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

They were dictated by Toei for 4kids range of censorship they do.

Yeah, I'm sure "G. Zass Burgess" is totally kosher with the parents of the children catered to by 4Kids.

And it's not like FUNimation is going to be appealing to anyone different - OP is still going to be on Toonami, not [adult swim], so the audience should still be the same even if FCC censorship regulations do not apply.

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

FUNimation's censorship levels are on a different level and Toei may and probably will change it up.

From what AP has been told in the past couple days, everything is in Toei's hands, while 4Kids/FUNimation just does the grunt work (dubbing/scriptwriting/translating) and does the distribution. Heck, not even VIZ Media has much fo a say in what's going on here, which should incidate even Shueisha/Shogakukan are locked out of this deal.

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

In fact I know they will, Sanji will have his cigs and Smoker will have his Cigars and his name. Zolo may stay the same and for the love of god make it the Marines again.

Sanji won't have his cigarettes, but Smoker will still have his cigars.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
They have the option to start from the beginning? I thought that Funi only had the license for eps 114 and up. No point voting on an option they don't have right?

I still have yet to investigate the series..I may take a peek at it Funi does get the oppurtunity to start from the beginning though.
From my understanding, Funi has the rights to all the episodes, but they've been asked to pick up where 4Kids left off for the broadcast version. However, they are releasing episodes 1-144 on DVD and are asking fans if they think they should release the DVDs from where 4Kids left off or start from the beginning for the DVD release. Personally, I think they should start from the beginning. Given how low the ratings for the edited dub were, I doubt there were many people following it anyway, especially when it came to buying the dub-only DVDs. Starting the DVDs from the beginning will allow people who never saw the show to get hooked on the series, particularly those who hated the 4Kids dub but didn't have access to the fansubs, and people who have been keeping up with the series can always watch the Toonami broadcast, and if you're that desperate to catch up to Japan, there's always going to be someone fansubbing the new episodes like with Naruto.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
To me, FUNimation should start releasing it from the beginning because it's best if the series's story was changed if it's getting re-licensed and re-dubbed. What if someone wants to see a dubbed version of a scene they missed due to 4kids and their decapitating rampage? An example of the beginning's original content before it was taken out is one of the most infamous edits ever.

Helmeppo puts a gun at spoiler[Coby's head]. 4kids made the gun into a hammer-type object that shouldn't be considered a weapon. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tarrin4ever

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are people really so dense as to think that starting over from episode one is going to "kick-start" the OP franchise?

Going off the rest of your posts, I think you've mistaken what the poll was asking.

This is DVD releases they're talking about, not the TV broadcast. And on the DVD's there will be no edits like which you described. It's already been decided that the broadcast is starting right where it left off, leading right into one of the "high-action" story arcs that you mentioned.

Let them play around with the TV broadcast all they want. If we've learned anything from them in the past, they tend to give more slack on the censorship as the series progresses (to meet popular demand).
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
tarrin4ever wrote:

This is DVD releases they're talking about, not the TV broadcast.

By jove, you're right! My apologies; maybe someone should clarify the first two options and change the large blue title-text? Embarassed

In this case, starting the DVDs from the beginning would be the right course of action - the only people purchasing the OP DVDs now are not OP fans, but parents of children who watch the show on 4Kids.tv and the like. What happens if a flood of new DVDs come out with characters the parents have not seen before, in a new, considerably more offensive dub with cursing in the subtitles and a heck of a lot more controversial material? That should be somewhat upsetting.

If FUNimation re-releases the older episodes, I'd say those parents would pass up the new episodes (because they've already bot the "original" versions) and have some time to "adjust" to the new Skypiea dub - if the complaints should fly in, they won't be as numerous as if the DVDs of Skypiea and Skypiea itself were released alongside one another because there will be less surprise.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
So, FUNimation's broadcast episodes will start with 144, right? Is this the beginning of a new story arc, so I can just pick it up from there? Just curious...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I could care less about FUNimation's redubbing or its TV version, I just want to start watching the uncut show (preferrably from the beginning) in Japanese with subtitles on DVD. They can make the TV version nine times worse than 4Kids and it doesn't matter, as long as the DVD version is uncut.

Starting from the beginning is the wisest move - the fandom needs to be cleansed of the 4Kids version completely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd like them to start from the beginning; then the release of the Arlong/Nami arc will be faster, and that's the one arc that I'd like to have on DVD.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I voted for starting from the begining. I don't think it will be that much of a problem to get them to sell all they really need to do is pull all the 4kids DVD's from the shelves, show a commercial for them on tv, and on the box put something like "featuring the new voices, new japanese music, and never before seen episodes"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4