• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - All-Star Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
@Jessica Hart,

I'm not arguing against your contention but this is exciting: Merida from Pixar's Brave, to be released next year.

With a beautiful fighting girl as the protagonist, it is sooooo anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
dang no love for tenchi muyo .That stinks .
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

That's understandable... it's cool to hate things that are popular, after all Razz
No, there are plenty of other reasons to hate Naruto.

Quote:
But seriously, despite it being a worldwide hit, no country has really been able to replicate it or anything similar to it on a global scale; in terms of writing or anything of that sort.
Just to clarify, you're strictly talking in terms of animation, right? Neutral If you are, then I can sorta see what you mean, to some extent. If you aren't, though, then--let's be serious--that's total bullshit(and, FTR, so was your earlier comment about punches and stuff not being thrown in Avatar). There are tons of insanely better and more popular properties out there.

But even if you are sticking solely to animation, Naruto's writing and such sure as hell isn't anything of any real quality, especially not compared to that plenty of other anime out there. But, then again, the series as a whole isn't of quality compared to plenty of other stuff out there either, tbh.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:50 pm; edited 7 times in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
For the record, my love of G Gundam is entirely sincere. Cool

(I'm one of those kids who grew up with it, so...)

Same here, although I was in high school. Though it was the first Gundam that I watched, so I watched it as an anime I'd never seen, as opposed to another Gundam series. Even after watching several Gundam series, I still like it, and have to wonder, is it so bad to have a series that really deviates from the norm of the franchise when there are so many that stick to it?

Yeah, I likewise watched G Gundam back when it was airing on Toonami. It was the first Gundam I ever saw, as I wasn't watching Toonami when Wing and 0079 were airing, and I still love it to this day with it being one of my absolute favorite animes ever. And, yes, I have seen parts of it recently so it's not just the nostalgia talking.

I really don't know where Zac got this idea of "Oh it's only popular becuase of the silly stereotypes", which is honestly a fairly shallow way of looking at the show. Not to be rude, but it does seem like Zac's cynicism sometimes goes a little too far, since he felt that Daryl's reasoning that people actually grew up with G Gundam, which a bunch of us have, wasn't a valid-enough reason to warrant why it received such a good response at the Sunrise panel. Are the stereotypes funny and entertaining? Yeah, but that's honestly only a small portion of why G Gundam is really fun to watch.
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
There is no irony in this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StdI6TpZMfw
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
@errinundra

I hope that Pixar can bounce back after that disaster known as Cars 2 came out. Sure it may have done well financially but critically wise, it is widely considered to be Pixar's worse film and coming from a major respectable animated powerhouse like Pixar, that says something.

Plus, why did they change the original title from "The Bear and The Bow" to "Brave"? The new title just sounds rather lame to me.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Short and snappy, I suppose. And, yeah, I hope it lives up to its promise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
G Gundam = Only Gundam series worth watching for me.

After years of avoiding Gundam because of how bad Wing was (heck, i refused to finish it on Toonami back in the day because it was so bad) along with how many shows & films this franchise has, i gave in and blind-bought both G Gundam sets a few months ago because i've heard many good things about it (even from people who bashed it) including how it's very different from the other Gundam titles and that it's more for the shonen crowd and in the end i actually enjoyed it. Not to the point that i'm interested in the other Gundam shows but to the point that i don't regret buying the sets and will be keeping them until there's an upgraded version available here like Blu-ray.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@errinundra

I hope that Pixar can bounce back after that disaster known as Cars 2 came out. Sure it may have done well financially but critically wise, it is widely considered to be Pixar's worse film and coming from a major respectable animated powerhouse like Pixar, that says something.

Plus, why did they change the original title from "The Bear and The Bow" to "Brave"? The new title just sounds rather lame to me.

Pixar wasn't trying to go for critical acclaim with Cars 2, they wanted to add more fire into the billion dollar franchise of the first film. Saying "bounce back" makes it sound like they didn't have their B-team on this film while most of the staff was working on "Brave." Making a overall ill-received but still a financial juggernaut to pay for the more experimental films is hardly a new concept. Hell it's mentioned in this podcast in terms of Japanese Animation studios doing it, why should it be any different for a western studio? Pixar needs to keep Disney off their back so they can continue to make outstanding films, I hardly see releasing one meh film stopping that.

Quote:
it is widely considered to be Pixar's worse film and coming from a major respectable animated powerhouse like Pixar, that says something.

No kidding. It's mediocre at best, (well in terms of story, animation is still fantastic), but if it's their worst film, that's still saying something. Because it's main competitor, Dreamworks, has a lot bigger and more spectacular blow-outs with out any redeeming quality. Dreamworks and other studios have actually gone and made bad movies, if the worst Pixar can make are only mediocre? Still says something about the overall ability of Pixar.

Also for the title of "Brave", marketing. They thought it would appeal to a larger audience that way, shocker of shockers that does happen. And your opinion on the title does not equal everyone elses.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

I really don't know where Zac got this idea of "Oh it's only popular becuase of the silly stereotypes", which is honestly a fairly shallow way of looking at the show. Not to be rude, but it does seem like Zac's cynicism sometimes goes a little too far, since he felt that Daryl's reasoning that people actually grew up with G Gundam, which a bunch of us have, wasn't a valid-enough reason to warrant why it received such a good response at the Sunrise panel. Are the stereotypes funny and entertaining? Yeah, but that's honestly only a small portion of why G Gundam is really fun to watch.

I like how "Not to be rude, but" is always followed by someone being rude. You were rude earlier too! Boy you're just not very good at this "not being rude" thing are you?

As for G-Gundam, I've been working with anime for a very long time, have known countless Gundam fans who would talk my ear off about the franchise and have literally not once ever in my entire history as a fan and a professional ever heard anyone even one time talk about G-Gundam in any capacity OTHER than how zany and hilarious the stereotype Gundams are. That is all anyone has -EVER- said about the show within my range of hearing in 15 years as an anime fan. Maybe you should spearhead the movement to get people to talk about the series' other merits instead of just LOL MEXICAN GUNDAM.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It is a little strange that G4 doesn't air those Marvel anime more because they used to run anime into the ground back when they had the Anime Unleashed block. Same with TechTV before it. Then again, that network dropped anime entirely years ago, so I'm guessing they were still reluctant to give anime lots of air time, even with Marvel attached.

Well I'm DVRing these shows and they air on Low Def G4 at least three times a week, so I was left wondering is this a issue with the HD version of the channel or what?

According to TitanTV these shows are air this following week as follows (the times are Central, there were additional listings but I figured this was enough for this post, and I also cut out the Iron Man listings for DisneyXD )

Quote:
Tomorrow
8:00 AM G4
Iron Man
Outbreak
(Repeat, 8/26/2011, TV-14)
Tomorrow
10:00 PM G4
Iron Man
Outbreak
Mon, Aug 29

Mon, Aug 29
1:00 AM G4
Iron Man
Outbreak
Mon, Aug 29
2:00 PM G4
Iron Man
Outbreak
Thu, Sep 01
11:00 PM G4
Iron Man
Outbreak
Fri, Sep 02
10:00 PM G4
Iron Man
Technical Difficulties
(New, 9/02/2011, TV-14)
Sat, Sep 03
10:00 AM G4
Iron Man
Japan: Enter Iron Man
(Repeat, 7/23/2011, TV-14)
Sat, Sep 03
10:30 AM G4
Iron Man
Going Nuclear
(Repeat, 8/05/2011, TV-14)

Tomorrow
8:30 AM G4
Wolverine
Asano
Tomorrow
10:30 PM G4
Wolverine
Asano
Mon, Aug 29
1:30 AM G4
Wolverine
Asano
Mon, Aug 29
2:30 PM G4
Wolverine
Asano
Thu, Sep 01
11:30 PM G4
Wolverine
Asano
Fri, Sep 02
10:30 PM G4
Wolverine
Min
(New, 9/02/2011, TV-14)
Sat, Sep 03
8:00 AM G4
Wolverine
Kikyo
(Repeat, 8/12/2011, TV-14)
Sat, Sep 03
8:30 AM G4
Wolverine
Omega Red
(Repeat, 8/19/2011, TV-14)
Sat, Sep 03
9:00 AM G4
Wolverine
Asano
Sat, Sep 03
9:30 AM G4
Wolverine
Min
(Repeat, 9/02/2011, TV-14)

I'm going to stop here because I'm on the verge of writing a long rambling post about fans, fandoms, language, those who think they need to feel like they are better than other fans, fans who want to just talk about how the subculture of fandoms work, and the question of why do fandoms have to become diluted and/or change at all? It's too long of a discussion to delve into in this format.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
v1cious wrote:
I'm gonna guess the Gainax flop V is referring to is The Idolmaster anime. That was expected to be a really huge it for them, and it flopped hard.

Gainax has nothing to do with Idolmasters, the game is created by Namco Bandai, the first anime was done by Sunrise, and the second anime tv series was A-1 pictures.

Not to mention the sales figures for Idolmaster are going to be misleading considering NAMCO Bandai are going to release the video game along with the anime. And such the numbers will count on the video game side not the anime side.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh G-Gundam. I remember enjoying it, but at the time I liked the other gundams I saw more. Wing, the original series (yes, I'm one of the few who liked it back then lol), and 08th MS Team. It just seemed like an weird mix of giant robots, stereotypes, and Dragonball Z. Shinning Finger!

I might enjoy it more if I saw it again, even though it's been nearly 10 years. The only other super giant robot show I've seen is Gurren Lagann. That was about a year 2 ago and I really liked it.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
@Sewingrose

I guess that's what happens when you have high expectations from a critically acclaimed studio that has churned out critical hit after critical hit.

For that bounce back bit, I hope Pixar won't fall down the same path as Shyamalan.

I never really understood why they want to go back to give Cars a sequel since it is the weakest of Pixar's library and at least when watching all of the Toy Story films, they were all excellent and proven to be worthy of being made but Cars just isn't it for me. They want to make a sequel to Cars because it made a profit? Where's the sequel to The Incredibles? We all want that instead!

As for the Brave title, I still say it sounds rather lame to me but lets wait and see if this film would rank next to be either one of Pixar's best or Pixar's worst.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@Sewingrose

I guess that's what happens when you have high expectations from a critically acclaimed studio that has churned out critical hit after critical hit.

For that bounce back bit, I hope Pixar won't fall down the same path as Shyamalan.

I never really understood why they want to go back to give Cars a sequel since it is the weakest of Pixar's library and at least when watching all of the Toy Story films, they were all excellent and proven to be worthy of being made but Cars just isn't it for me. They want to make a sequel to Cars because it made a profit? Where's the sequel to The Incredibles? We all want that instead!

As for the Brave title, I still say it sounds rather lame to me but lets wait and see if this film would rank next to be either one of Pixar's best or Pixar's worst.

I've read (don't take my word on it though) that the reason Pixar made a sequal to Cars rather than the Incredibles is rather simple: Merchandising. Incredibles may've gotten more critical acclaim and box office gross , but Cars sold a crapload more toys, which is to be expected seeing as the characters are a bunch of talking vehicles. Same with Toy Story as well.

But like what the Anncast guys said in regard to noitaminA playing otaku-bait like Black Rock Shooter, you should take solace in the idea that the little bit of "soul-selling" that Pixar is doing with Cars 2 may mean that it'll give them more clout and money to experiment with more auteur fair like the upcoming Brave.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8