• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - All-Star Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I like how "Not to be rude, but" is always followed by someone being rude. You were rude earlier too! Boy you're just not very good at this "not being rude" thing are you?

Hey, I'm not trying to get into an argument with you, Zac, so don't bother trying to say something like that since it's not going to work, whether you actually want an argument or not. You could have simply gone into talking about G Gundam in your post rather than bring any of this up. I have no problem with you being cynical, as you do bring up valid points and it can lead to entertaining conversation, but sometimes it does end up with you saying some things that just don't exactly agree with how things actually are. You did bring up how being a anime fan for so long makes your "BS-Meter" more sensitive, but at the same time it might be a little too sensitive at times.

Quote:
As for G-Gundam, I've been working with anime for a very long time, have known countless Gundam fans who would talk my ear off about the franchise and have literally not once ever in my entire history as a fan and a professional ever heard anyone even one time talk about G-Gundam in any capacity OTHER than how zany and hilarious the stereotype Gundams are. That is all anyone has -EVER- said about the show within my range of hearing in 15 years as an anime fan. Maybe you should spearhead the movement to get people to talk about the series' other merits instead of just LOL MEXICAN GUNDAM.

Well, that's how you've heard it and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how a lot of West Coast fans take it, not to mention people who are bigger fans of the more realistic Gundam series. To them the semi-realism is what makes Gundam interesting for them, so naturally they'll look at G Gundam and see nothing but "stereotyped Gundams". Not much you can really do about that. And, really, Tequila Gundam isn't even the silliest Gundam in the show... There are even crazier ones in the show.

Here on the East Coast, on the other hand, I've heard it go both ways, but overall there's a lot more love for the actual characters of G Gundam and not just "Hey, look at the silly mechs!". In fact, my friends love G Gundam because they have awesome characters, with the silly mechs being nothing more than an added bonus. To us, G Gundam is a super robot show with the Gundam name, or a shounen-styled series with the Gundam name. Honestly, when I was watching G Gundam back while it was airing on Toonami nearly 10 years ago I was entertained more by the characters, and I barely paid attention to how stereotyped the characters and Gundams were; maybe that was just me being utterly oblivious during my mid-teens, but oh well. I loved watching G Gundam for the actual show it was and that's simply how I see it.

I'm not saying that simply looking at the mechs in the show and think "This is so silly" is a bad way to look at the series, because the Mobile Fighters can be rather silly (Nether Gundam, anyone?), but to think that's how EVERY SINGLE ANIME FAN thinks of the show is, admittedly, a little shallow; you said that that's all you heard "within your range of hearing", so it's not like it's the law of G Gundam. As for other people talking about G Gundam's actual merits, just look at this topic for a start and then start looking around the internet, because there are plenty of people out there who talk about how they love G Gundam for more than just the silly mechs.

Thank you, and good night.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Well if you boil it down to the most rudimentary concept then sure, you can get a show about 'a kid who does stuff' in just about any country in the world, but it's the execution and content that separates them. I mean, just compare those two. What's appropriate in terms of violence is like day and night (Avatar couldn't show people getting punched or anything.. while Naruto has guys getting their heads/limbs chopped up and beaten to a pulp/stabbed) Or in terms of the writing, you have the 'good guys' in Naruto assassinating innocent people in cold blood and all kinds of morally ambiguous things that would never fly in kid's shows here.

Or for another example, Detective Conan being a kids show in Japan that routinely deals with gruesome murder cases of men, women, children, animals, and other horrible things. The most Scooby Doo does is a guy in a mask who wants to like steal the deed to a property or something. Razz No way you could make a show like Conan here (it had to be stuck on at like 2AM on Adult Swim) Despite them both being 'mystery cartoons' they're not comparable at all.

So, your argument is that because Japanese shows for children are more violent than we have here in the US, that makes them better? Different I can maybe agree with, but the basic plots are still pretty damn similar. And I don't think having more blood in a cartoon makes it anymore special. Baccano!, for example, is a great show, and also a very violent show--but it's not great because it's so violent, it's great because of the eccentric cast, the strong sense of setting, the fantastic acting in both the Japanese and English tracks, the animation, the unusual way it tells its story, etc.

Quote:
Plus general things some people take for granted like actual good music,

You think we don't have shows with good music in the USA? Heck, do you think that Avatar (or MLP:FiM even) doesn't have good music?
Quote:
opening and endings (multiple ones that change as the show goes on, no less), eyecatches, next episode previews, omakes, and all that stuff.

Do any of those really add a huge amount to the show, though? Sure, they're nice extras, but does having a good opening and a gag in-between episode breaks make a show better? I don't think it does, not by much.

Quote:
Basically, if you wanted to make a show like that here, you'd be out of luck since you have to conform to kids network regulations in terms of not only censorship and stuff, but also the way cartoons are made (seems like networks are trying to abolish theme songs all together these days to make way for more commercials.. Cartoon Network limits them to like 10 second melodies ... Sad I know Greg Weisman who made the current Young Justice cartoon said something similar in an interview how opening themes are a thing of the past)

That sucks, yeah, and I think a pretty bad idea in terms of marketing--how many of us can sing the theme songs for Scooby Doo, Spongebob Squarepants, Samurai Jack and others just after hearing a few bars? But I don't care too much about having an opening theme if the story itself is good. Again, I don't think having a good opening necessarily makes the show itself any better.

I think what the guys in the podcast were talking about when they said you wouldn't see something like Redline here isn't that you wouldn't see things like eyecatches or more violence or J-Pop opening themes in a show here. That's a given, it's a cultural thing. I think what they meant is more in terms of style, story content, etc. Sure, Naruto has some anime conventions that haven't made it over here because of the different ways our industries work, or cultural things, etc--but that doesn't really make Naruto all that unique or special.

Quote:
But probably the best example is how people complain about moe or whatever a lot, but did you know pretty much every show pitched to the networks that features a female is shot down in America outside once in a blue moon? You should be thankful Japan has no problems letting a female star in a cartoon. Confused I know I am.

Okay. I want to preface this by saying I don't hate moe anime. I love Toradora! (is that moe? I don't even know anymore, that word gets thrown around so much) and Clannad, and Madoka Magica is one of my favorite shows. That being said, I don't really think that moe shows are something to be thankful about as a woman just because they have female characters. The girls in poorly-written, fanbait moe shows are basically no more than objects. They're products, specifically crafted to appeal to a certain demographic. While some moe shows feature well-written characters (Toradora and Madoka are two I'm thinking of in particular), the generic harem show has girls that are less characters and more a collection of popular character traits. (This isn't even just a moe thing or a female character thing--look at any reverse harem show, like Uta-Pri or Pretear, and you get the same thing. Hell, a lot of Ouran's humor is skewering this practice in shoujo series.) The idea of a female character as a beautiful object meant to sell merchandise is not something I'd particularly like to celebrate.

Also, I think you're wrong that shows featuring female main characters get shot down. There is some idea that girls don't watch cartoons out there, but even that has been directly challenged. Just look at Powerpuff Girls and how much of a phenomena that was. Take a look at My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and how its popularity has sky rocketed. (In particular, MLP was made with the goal in mind to prove that a show could feature a diverse, well-written cast of females as the main characters and do well.) Also, if you haven't heard yet, Avatar has a new cartoon series coming out soon--it'll feature a female avatar as the main character.

I don't think "no female characters at all" or "fanboy fap fodder" have a clear "winner" in terms of choices. I don't think either should be celebrated. Well written female characters should be, and those are lacking in both western AND Japanese animation, in my opinion. (Although I do think Japan has some great female characters I could mention, and they luckily don't think that girls don't like cartoons.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay, more to discuss about. I'm very much looking forward to watching REDLINE. It sounds like a movie I'd enjoy. I'm really sorry to hear that the movie didn't perform well in sales.

Haha, recurring tropes that piss me off. I agree with what was already mentioned by Mike, Daryl, Justin (I laughed hard when you mentioned of the death scene), and Zac. I have a hard time thinking of some myself, but I just came across one in an episode of Angelic Layer I'm watching (I can think of a few CLAMP-specific ones that annoy me, but I'll avoid them for now). So Character A is in the middle of eating some food, Character B says something that embarrasses Character A (often played up between people who have a crush on each other in a "LIKE LIKE" sense), Character B begins choking on food and begins to pound his/her chest. AAAAAGH. Not cute, not funny.

Aw, hell, I'll take another step and just say I pretty much dislike most everything that comes from two people (typically teenagers or pre-teens) crushing on each other in cutesy anime. The "handing something over to another person but then both characters realize they're holding one another's hand and so blush and quickly let go" to the "kiss being the most ultimate expression of love two characters can go and so the anime builds up to that scene" to the "differentiation between two types of love as being LIKE or LIKE LIKE".

Harem and/or hentai romcom anime piss me off as well with their trope. OH HO HO, falling into boobs, that's HI-LA-RI-OUS!

I like the tag-team duo type of relationships, where characters perform well with one another and bounce off of each other's strengths and weaknesses (which may eventually form into a romance). Like Rosette/Chrono. Or Lawrence/Holo.

Last edited by Crisha on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
That being said, I don't really think that moe shows are something to be thankful about as a woman just because they have female characters. The girls in poorly-written, fanbait moe shows are basically no more than objects. They're products, specifically crafted to appeal to a certain demographic.

I agree with you in regards to this subject 100%.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
@Jessica Hart,

I'm not arguing against your contention but this is exciting: Merida from Pixar's Brave, to be released next year.

With a beautiful fighting girl as the protagonist, it is sooooo anime.

I heard the director was fired from that... and that's never a good sign, but eh, I'm not really a big Pixar fan to begin with. Also it just kind of adds to the whole stigma of "every female starring animated movie in America has to be a fairy tale princess flick". At least Lilo & Stitch wasn't Smile Way back when. You'll never see a movie like Perfect Blue or Paparika out of them.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Just to clarify, you're strictly talking in terms of animation, right?

This was originally about 'animation that can only be made in Japan', so yes.

Quote:
But even if you are sticking solely to animation, Naruto's writing and such sure as hell isn't anything of any real quality, especially not compared to that plenty of other anime out there. But, then again, the series as a whole isn't of quality compared to plenty of other stuff out there either, tbh.

And it's still something western animation companies can only dream of producing. Wink I mean, you have the guys behind Ben 10 and Avatar gushing about Naruto.. and Ben 10 is like the biggest (action) cartoon property in the US. (well, Transformers is big too, but it's half Japanese and is more about the live-action movies these days rather than the cartoon, so I'm not sure if you'd count that) but still.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
So, your argument is that because Japanese shows for children are more violent than we have here in the US, that makes them better? Different I can maybe agree with, but the basic plots are still pretty damn similar. And I don't think having more blood in a cartoon makes it anymore special. Baccano!, for example, is a great show, and also a very violent show--but it's not great because it's so violent, it's great because of the eccentric cast, the strong sense of setting, the fantastic acting in both the Japanese and English tracks, the animation, the unusual way it tells its story, etc.

It's more they have the freedom to do what they want. If they want to have an action show where you can actually hurt and kill people, it's not a huge deal like it is here. Especially if it's a show about war or superheroes and it's always dumbed down and sugar coated for kids here. Do you really think a cartoon like Baccano could be made in the US? You'd have to not only convince networks adult animation doesn't have to be Seth McFarland humor and can actually be more mature/serious, but animation can be used to tell a story and also end after a set amount of episodes and be primarily creator owned/driven.

Quote:
PlYou think we don't have shows with good music in the USA? Heck, do you think that Avatar (or MLP:FiM even) doesn't have good music?

...My Little Pony? No, no I don't. Avatar's music was forgetable (since I can't recall a piece of music from it right now Razz) and My Little Pony... eh... seriously? The few songs I heard were really annoying/kiddy, like they belong on Dora the Explorer. Not really the same thing I'm talking about.

Quote:
Do any of those really add a huge amount to the show, though? Sure, they're nice extras, but does having a good opening and a gag in-between episode breaks make a show better? I don't think it does, not by much.

Of course it does. Openings and endings set the mood; music is an extremely powerful tool in story telling. The right opening can get you pumped up or prepared for a certain show (especially if it changes to fit the current arc, like a more dramatic one for the climax of a series) Ending themes as well; a good example is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Often times the ending song starts playing a minute or two before the actual ending animation starts, usually in the last few minutes of the climax of the episode (Mustang blowing up his hideout to Shunkan Sentimental then marching towards the invading war as it cuts to the actual ending animation is just beyond epic) Then you have special ending themes made specifically for that episode to drive home the drama and emotion (in the original Fullmetal Alchemist, for example, the famous Nina Tucker episode had it's own unique ending animation which pretty much nailed the sadness of that episode) Or for a non FMA example for a change, the last episode of Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl's special ending showcasing the cast relaxing and reliving their memories of their journey before parting forever.

As for the other stuff, yeah, love them too. It makes the characters feel more lifelike and alive, with actual personalities. Same reason I love character image songs they release on CDs. There's nothing like hearing your favorite anime characters singing in-character, for better or for worse in some cases Razz plus other funny and awesome stuff that fleshes things out (CD Dramas and stuff).

Quote:
I think what the guys in the podcast were talking about when they said you wouldn't see something like Redline here isn't that you wouldn't see things like eyecatches or more violence or J-Pop opening themes in a show here. That's a given, it's a cultural thing. I think what they meant is more in terms of style, story content, etc. Sure, Naruto has some anime conventions that haven't made it over here because of the different ways our industries work, or cultural things, etc--but that doesn't really make Naruto all that unique or special.

But that's more if he said "I'd say Redline is more unique than current anime" as opposed to the statement made of 'Redline couldn't be made anywhere but Japan, which is a feeling I don't get from anime on Japanese TV"

Quote:
Okay. I want to preface this by saying I don't hate moe anime. I love Toradora! (is that moe? I don't even know anymore, that word gets thrown around so much) and Clannad, and Madoka Magica is one of my favorite shows. That being said, I don't really think that moe shows are something to be thankful about as a woman just because they have female characters. The girls in poorly-written, fanbait moe shows are basically no more than objects. They're products, specifically crafted to appeal to a certain demographic. While some moe shows feature well-written characters (Toradora and Madoka are two I'm thinking of in particular), the generic harem show has girls that are less characters and more a collection of popular character traits. (This isn't even just a moe thing or a female character thing--look at any reverse harem show, like Uta-Pri or Pretear, and you get the same thing. Hell, a lot of Ouran's humor is skewering this practice in shoujo series.) The idea of a female character as a beautiful object meant to sell merchandise is not something I'd particularly like to celebrate.

When you said 'what's moe and what isn't is impossible to tell anymore given how often that word gets thrown around' that kind of proves my point. Who are you (or anyone, really, not really singling you out) to decide if a show is just 'pointless fap fodder' or an actual good show? K-ON seems to be called moe by a lot of people, but guess what: in ANN's last poll about it, there were far more females supported the series than males, so apparently they don't have much of a problem with it. Smile Most K-ON fans I know are female, who love the characters and relate to them. Are you going to tell them they're wrong? Unless we actually analyze the characters and stop making sweeping generalizations like 'all moe is poorly written', then it's extremely unfair to just lump everything together.

But I have noticed most people who bash moe for being sexist tends to be males.. females don't seem to make as big of a deal about it, funny enough Razz

Or to put it in a more real world setting, those kinds of attitudes is what keeps females out of starring roles in animation here. Confused They have to be so concerned with who thinks the leads will be 'sexist' or just 'fap fodder' or whatever. You have to jump through a lot of hoops and homogenize your lead heroine here so as not to offend people (just look at all the backlash and bile Princess and the Frog went through when Disney made the mistake of saying it was the first 'black Disney Princess'.. suddenly everyone had to inject on how a black character would 'act' and they couldn't please everyone since everyone had different ideas that contradicted one another.) It's no longer 'your character', it's a character designed by the committee to be as 'sensitive' and 'PC' as possible. PC-ness is really the main problem here. Cutey Honey would probably be called 'moe fap fodder' or something by people if they tried to make a new season today (let alone here, where it'd probably be called vile and sexist or something) but it's one of my favorite shows. I'm glad Japan just continues making their stuff without caring about those kinds of groups think (if they even do, in Japan)

Quote:
Also, I think you're wrong that shows featuring female main characters get shot down. There is some idea that girls don't watch cartoons out there, but even that has been directly challenged. Just look at Powerpuff Girls and how much of a phenomena that was. Take a look at My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and how its popularity has sky rocketed. (In particular, MLP was made with the goal in mind to prove that a show could feature a diverse, well-written cast of females as the main characters and do well.) Also, if you haven't heard yet, Avatar has a new cartoon series coming out soon--it'll feature a female avatar as the main character.

Well let's break these down.

-Powerpuff Girls was from 1998. Over 12 years ago.
-My Little Pony is based on a doll line, like those Barbie movies they do sometimes. Those do seem to have more leeway of getting made if they know it'll promote a doll line. (Though I think you're taking the internet meme fad a bit too seriously, the show itself gets really poor ratings, it's not an actual big thing)
-The new Avatar show more than likely only got greenlit because they already made a previous show and it has brand recognition going for it. If it was a completely original show rather than a sequel, it wouldn't have gotten made.

And this isn't even getting into the 'quality' of these shows (one of which won't be out for a few years so who knows how bad it could be)

And that's about three shows. If three shows in over a decade really impressive to you compared to the hundreds that star males, then I just have to disagree and restate my original statement. If Japan can make tons more female-starring shows (and better ones, I'll say, before someone tries to interject) in one season than the US can in a decade, that's just... not a good sign)
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

When you said 'what's moe and what isn't is impossible to tell anymore given how often that word gets thrown around' that kind of proves my point. Who are you (or anyone, really, not really singling you out) to decide if a show is just 'pointless fap fodder' or an actual good show? K-ON seems to be called moe by a lot of people, but guess what: in ANN's last poll about it, there were far more females supported the series than males, so apparently they don't have much of a problem with it. Smile Most K-ON fans I know are female, who love the characters and relate to them. Are you going to tell them they're wrong? Unless we actually analyze the characters and stop making sweeping generalizations like 'all moe is poorly written', then it's extremely unfair to just lump everything together.

But I have noticed most people who bash moe for being sexist tends to be males.. females don't seem to make as big of a deal about it, funny enough Razz

Or to put it in a more real world setting, those kinds of attitudes is what keeps females out of starring roles in animation here. Confused They have to be so concerned with who thinks the leads will be 'sexist' or just 'fap fodder' or whatever. You have to jump through a lot of hoops and homogenize your lead heroine here so as not to offend people (just look at all the backlash and bile Princess and the Frog went through when Disney made the mistake of saying it was the first 'black Disney Princess'.. suddenly everyone had to inject on how a black character would 'act' and they couldn't please everyone since everyone had different ideas that contradicted one another.) It's no longer 'your character', it's a character designed by the committee to be as 'sensitive' and 'PC' as possible. PC-ness is really the main problem here. Cutey Honey would probably be called 'moe fap fodder' or something by people if they tried to make a new season today (let alone here, where it'd probably be called vile and sexist or something) but it's one of my favorite shows. I'm glad Japan just continues making their stuff without caring about those kinds of groups think (if they even do, in Japan)

Me: Female.
Me: Moe at it's very core is based on infantilizing female characters. There are exceptions, there are extremely well made examples that involve moe, that can still have strong female characters and be engaging to any audience of any gender. But as it stands the idea behind many shows in Japan, not just Moe but that is a part, is treating female characters as objects to ogle, objects to protect, objects in general. There is nothing wrong with having a female character having sexuality, there is nothing wrong with a female character not being emotionally secure with herself and being adorable. There is everything wrong with a culture that seems to focus on those being the main values any woman could possibly or should possess.
So yeah, I see moe as hella sexist.

I'm going to completely ignore you PC rant, because that's going to get me five kinds of rage-y, and I don't want to waste my energy in writing a lengthy retort.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
I heard the director was fired from that... and that's never a good sign, but eh, I'm not really a big Pixar fan to begin with. Also it just kind of adds to the whole stigma of "every female starring animated movie in America has to be a fairy tale princess flick". At least Lilo & Stitch wasn't Smile Way back when. You'll never see a movie like Perfect Blue or Paparika out of them...

According to Wikipedia Brenda Chapman (Pixar's first female director) conceived the project, co-wrote the script and began directing it before being sacked over creative differences. I wonder if Pixar lost their nerve and wanted to dilute the content?

From Noir to Moribito and others besides, anime has many memorable female protagonists (as well as bucketloads of cringe-inducing sexism). They, along with Perfect Blue and Paprika, were possible partly due to the pioneering efforts of works such as Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which is, at its heart, a "fairy tale princess flick". If Brave can open possibilities for the future, then it will have been a good thing.

Sewingrose wrote:
...Moe at it's very core is based on infantilizing female characters...

That's not just a "moe" problem, that's an all too pervasive "anime" problem. And not just female characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

That's not just a "moe" problem, that's an all too pervasive "anime" problem. And not just female characters.

It happens a lot more to female characters the male (admittedly by my own estimates), and it ties back to the obsession Japan has for "Cute". It seems in stories the girls are always complaining about "I'm not cute enough" not "I'm not pretty enough" not "I'm not sexy enough".

And I'm trying to tie it more to the moe genre, because the only real thing I seem to be able to glean that everyone agrees what "moe" means is: "Protective feelings towards cute things". Which yeah, treat the characters as cute little children, not the high-school aged women they are. But it does seem to be a very large cultural trope in terms of anime and it rather frightens me with how omnipresent it appears.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Justin convinced me to pick up the Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal Blu-ray before it's sold out. I'd originally decided to pass because of the price, but I like that OVA quite a bit and I'm a sucker for new HD telecines of cel-based anime (even though I know some digitally composited cuts have been upscaled). This will be the only RK BD I purchase, though. Reflections and (especially) the movie are not must-haves, IMO.

As for Redline, I also imported the Japanese Blu-ray and I was disappointed that I wasn't blown away by it. Too much hype? Probably. It's certainly not a bad movie, and the animation is terrific, but it's not the second coming of Akira.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
And it's still something western animation companies can only dream of producing. Wink
Pfft, like hell. They've already produced plenty of things far better anyway, so there's no point in them 'dreaming' of taking 2 steps back.Rolling Eyes

Jessica Hart wrote:
I mean, you have the guys behind Ben 10 and Avatar gushing about Naruto...
When the hell was that? I'm gonna need links/sort of proof, or I'll just categorize that as more bullshit.

But even when/if you do show some of it, I still can't say I give a damn, seeing as anime is still my favorite entertainment medium(alongside video games). It's just that Naruto sure as hell isn't worth anybody gushing over. Rolling Eyes If you're gonna go on about how much better you think anime is than American animation, the least you could do is make sure your example is actually of quality. -_-
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I like the tag-team duo type of relationships, where characters perform well with one another and bounce off of each other's strengths and weaknesses (which may eventually form into a romance). Like Rosette/Chrono. Or Lawrence/Holo.

I agree, those are some of the best types of character pairings. It's a shame they're not always the norm.

@Jessica Hart--I could keep arguing but I think we'll probably just end up going around in circles since our tastes are very clearly different, so I'm going to just nip this in the bud and agree to disagree. I will say this, though--I am actually a woman, and while I don't think all "moe" shows are necessarily degrading or sexist, I think a lot of them are. I don't always care for being "PC" because I don't always agree with what people think of as being PC, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want fully fleshed out, well-written female characters. I'd much prefer Tiana from The Princess and the Frog to a stereotypical moe heroine. She's a realistic character with flaws, a clear motivation and goal (that isn't tied to her love interest), and changes throughout the story. That's not to say moe heroines can't have that (Taiga in Toradora! does, for instance), but in the worst moe shows, fully realized characters are discarded in favor of a checklist of traits otaku consider attractive. The problem isn't that they're cute, the problem is there's nothing to them other than that.

Last edited by MorwenLaicoriel on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I agree, those are some of the best types of character pairings. It's a shame they're not always the norm.
Here, here!

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
@Jessica Hart--I could keep arguing but I think we'll probably just end up going around in circles since our tastes are very clearly different, so I'm going to just nip this in the bud and agree to disagree. I will say this, though--I am actually a woman, and while I don't think all "moe" shows are necessarily degrading or sexiest, I think a lot of them are. I don't always care for being "PC" because I don't always agree with what people think of as being PC, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want fully fleshed out, well-written female characters. I'd much prefer Tiana from The Princess and the Frog to a stereotypical moe heroine. She's a realistic character with flaws, a clear motivation and goal (that isn't tied to her love interest), and changes throughout the story. That's not to say moe heroines can't have that (Taiga in Toradora! does, for instance), but in the worst moe shows, fully realized characters are discarded in favor of a checklist of traits otaku consider attractive. The problem isn't that they're cute, the problem is there's nothing to them other than that.

Frankly, I've been avoiding this argument for a while. It seems whenever this argument of East vs. West comes up, many of the same people are arguing in it. Lately, a lot of focus has come up about female characters, and I have been tempted to respond but always held back. But now I feel like doing so (against my better judgment).

I guess I should first note that I'm a woman who considers herself a feminist, and all of the following observations are ones I've made over time and/or have read about in articles written by other feminists who I follow.

I think both the East and the West have issues with sexism, which show up in their animated shows/movies.

So let's discuss some popular Western animations, particularly the powerhouse of Disney/Pixar, which suffer from different issues. First, Disney.

1. With Disney, we have a Princess syndrome, where a damn good majority of their female main characters are princesses, marry up to become princesses, or hell, just plain marry up to a guy of higher status. As if we just can't have more normal, middle-class girls who just stay middle-class normal girls. But, hey, considering the type of audience for these movies, they're catering these movies to little girls who want to imagine they're little princesses and will buy their Disney Princess-line clothing and other merchandise.

2. Also, damsel-in-distress syndrome. A lot of Disney movies often have the female protag needing to be rescued by her man at some point or another.

3. The Disney gals want MORE MORE MORE, and ultimately settle for the guy as if that was their greatest goal in life (as if marrying the Prince suddenly fulfills all of those desires).

All three are big issues, but guess what? Disney has been improving over time. Belle and Ariel weren't quite the pushovers that Snow White, Cinderella, and Aurora were, Mulan was more proactive and didn't need to be rescued in the end, Tiana is a working woman who continues her dream of owning a restaurant and ends up confronting the main baddie on her own. And then there's Lilo, who diverts away from the romance angle and focuses on family. It's not like they haven't tried different things and yet still tried to keep it marketable.

And as for point #3, the gals aren't the only one who are obsessed with finding love interests. Aladdin pretended to be a Prince to get close to Jasmine, Hercules gave up godhood for Megara, Quasimodo rebelled against Frodo for Esmeralda (which didn't work out exactly the way he wanted it to in the end, but he still received love). Disney is just all about the idealistic, sappy love stories, for girls and guys.

So, now, Pixar. Pixar's main issue comes from not even having a female as the main character. And this is a big issue that shows off the male privilege still rampant within our society nowadays. Because it's normal and expected for a woman to enjoy stories made for men or stories with leading male characters. But lead female characters? Hell no, that's for girls. It's still frowned upon in our culture for males to have an interest in female activities - often being told to 'man up' or 'stop acting like a sissy girl' - else he be labeled as 'gay'. And guys often have a harder time connecting with lead women characters than women do with lead men characters. Male is the default and female is the deviation.

So, 17 years later and after 12 full-length feature films, we're finally getting a main female protagonist from Pixar. A movie that focuses on HER story and development and not HIS. Because while Pixar may have come up with strong, memorable female characters (Elastigirl, Violet, Jessie, EVE - arguable since robots technically don't have a sex, but WTF ever, Pixar felt like assigning her a gender-specific role), they were always supporting characters for HIS story (Mr. Incredible, Woody, Buzz, WALL-E).

And so what does Brave finally give us? A Princess who has issues with the role she was given by society and her parents and so rebels against them. Oh, like we haven't seen that story done before. Rolling Eyes I reserve further comments on the movie, because I still have quite a bit of hopeful enthusiasm for it. I really wish that they would have worked outside of their bounds further, but as long as this is the first of more female-driven movies I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since they often do great with characterization.

Now, what about the East? Well, we have an entirely different market out there. I could go focus on several different routes (yes, as some people argue, Japan has more diversity when it comes to animation), but I think I'll focus on the market for otaku.

Well, what more could I speak on this than what has already been said. Japanese culture is still very sexist nowadays in regards to the roles of men and women, and I still see scenes cropping up in anime of middle-aged women (often 30-y.o. teachers) lamenting over the fact that they're now old hags and still haven't married. Japan has a strong obsession with youth and cute, which is prevalent everywhere, from entertainment to clothing to mannerisms. From Hello Kitty to goth loli to Pokemon characters adorning the sides of airplanes to obsession with male androgyny (bishounen) to moe. Hell, I've watched both American porn and Japanese porn, and while both obviously objectify women, even the way the women acted was a bit different - American women tended to go for a more sultry performance and Japanese women tended to go for a more cute performance.

So, moe - female characters are infantilized so that the male audience, because that is what moe is marketed for, can have strong feelings of protection for said characters. And perhaps be titillated as well (gotta sell those pillows and scanty-clad figures). Sometimes, we can still get good characters and story lines from them, other times they are just generic blobs going down a checklist of tropes. Some people will simply see shows of pointless fap fodder, and others will gain something more out of it.

Not even Madoka Magica gets a free pass card. While the show has a dedicated fanbase (even I loved the show) and think that it really reaches beyond its tropes, not everyone agrees. Here's a quote from someone's opinion not on this site:
Quote:
First, I hate the way that this show acts like it is the FIRST EVER "clever" deconstruction of the magical girl genre. I hate the way that this show is consistently praised as being a totes original deconstruction of the magical girl genre.

[...]

The only thing new that Madoka Magica has brought to the table is upping the gore and violence factor, which as anyone who reads Western comics and is sick of grimdarkviolent storylines being mistaken for being "more grown-up" content can tell you, is not the way to make you cartoon show more mature.

If Madoka Magica is meant to deconstruct the notion that magic can be empowering to little girls, who exactly is this message aimed at? (The answer: Adult men. Madoka Magica is absolutely not being promoted in any media outlets targeted towards girls or women. It's being promoted strictly to an adult male audience.)

[...]

If the show is intended as a general "magic can be false empowerment" message separate from a deconstruction of magical girl empowerment specifically, then that again brings us around to the question of why the creative staff thought that the best way to convey this message was to show a bunch of vulnerable moe little girls being tortured and terrified week after week in a show that is aggressively marketed toward an adult male audience in the first place. (Answer: Because fanservice, that's why.)

This. This is why I can't stand Madoka Magica. It's not that I don't like the idea of deconstructing the magical girl genre period - in case that still needs to be clarified for anybody - but it's just that Madoka Magica is DOIN IT WRONG.

In the end, moe is fanservice-laden, male-oriented marketing. Different people will find different things offensive and objectionable depending upon their tastes. That doesn't mean there aren't good moe shows out there, but they're restricted to their marketing like Disney is with its Princess line and Pixar is with its mainstream "default" audience.

And guess what? All three try to improve and break beyond their restrictions, which have resulted in several good animations from all of them. In the end, both the East and West have issues with sexism that show up in popular culture.

And, damn, I could have millions more to say, but I'm tired and this crap has gone on long enough and by tomorrow my arguments will be picked apart anyways. So have at it, peeps, get your jollies on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I think both the East and the West have issues with sexism, which show up in their animated shows/movies.

I pretty much agree with all of the points in your post, I think, particularly this one. I'm not really of the opinion that we don't see sexism in cartoons in the West, it's definitely there. My main argument is just that I don't think moe shows are necessarily "better" just because they feature more female characters than western animation tends to do. So...yeah. No picking apart from me!
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

...Me: Moe at it's very core is based on infantilizing female characters...
So yeah, I see moe as hella sexist...

But moe 2D girls have nothing to do with 3D girls.

IMHO, saying that moe causes sexism is like saying that old Looney Toons cartoons cause violence...both are clearly a cartoon-ish fantasy without relation to reality.

Edit: Rewritten for syntactical symmetry.

Last edited by einhorn303 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
But moe 2D girls have nothing to do with 3D girls.

IMHO, saying that moe is related to sexism is like saying that old Looney Toons cartoons encourage violence...both are clearly a cartoon-ish fantasy without relation to reality.

In this postmodern world, if someone can see sexism in 2D cartoons, who are you to say they can't? Wink

Also, there's an unwarranted logical leap in your argument. I would say that "moe is related to sexism" equates more with "old Looney Toons cartoons are related to violence". See how you're skewing your argument? Even better, I would say, "moe displays sexism; Looney Toons display violence."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8