• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - All-Star Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
The protests are specific to depicting female vulnerability--particularly when the product is aimed at adult males who have little familiarity with actual female concerns--in a fetishized manner to where there are no nuances to the characters. It's a cliché to mention Kanon and K-On, but they are still useful as popular reference points. The girls in those types of shows bear no real resemblance to reality. That in itself isn't a problem however, as plenty of stories rely on stereotypes and archetypes and are successful.

Of course, the criticisms to deliberately moe-planned characterizations can still be made with this in mind. The overriding one as it relates to social concerns--and as much as some would like to pretend to, you cannot separate fiction from reality, because the former is in some way a reflection of the latter--is that these female characters are not actual girls with their own strengths and weaknesses in their own rights, but rather heavily idealized, romanticized pets. They give viewers the same feelings as those who watch cute cat/dog/bunny/penguin/llama videos. They're reduced to infantalized, cute objects.

I would say to you that your problem is how the FANDOM has developed around these series rather than the depictions themselves. I think K-On is the parfect example of what I mean. First an foremost, K-On is basically Azu Manga Daioh with musical instruments. Both are 4-koma that make general jokes that are intended to be easily digestible rather than full of deep insight. I don't know about now, but I know when it came out, AzuManga was basically considered an anime sitcom rather than "moe". I don't see why stylistic art changes should convert something basically from "harmless, fluff amusement" to "society destroying mysoginy". Heck, take off the "magical girl" component and Yui from K-On is basically Usagi from Sailor Moon (a clumsy, sometimes lazy girl who is not good at school but tries her best and is strongly devoted and affectionate with her friends). Who else is basically the same character: Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Ahiru (Princess Tutu), Fein&Rein (Futago Hime), and probably 50 others from popular GIRLS shows I'm not aware of or can't remember off the top of my head. I think part of the problem people have with the "moe-backlash" is that detractors carpet-bomb against it and basically lump all titles they don't like (unless they are so clearly NOT "moe", like a bad hentai or naruto-filler, for example) into "moe" because they are artistically similar and many FANS choose to view them that way. To give the difference IMO, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu is "moe" (the character is painfully constructed to appeal to a moe fanbase, altho the show has the most picture perfect Akihabara depiction I can think of) whereas K-On is not. They are stylistically similar, and many fans may "treat" the characters the same, but the characters are totally different.

"Moe" as a concept is also not really understood by most (all?) westerners (including myself). Pick up one of the later volumes of Genshiken, one of the guest mangaka bits is a bonus in the back with the caption "Madarame is the most 'moe' character in Genshiken (yes, I'm serious)" (or something like that). But I don't think anyone would call Genshiken a "moe" manga/anime. Which reminds me of an interesting point, is "moe" any more harmful in terms of objectification than "BL"? I ask because much is often made of how perverse and mysoginistic male otaku are for crafting these fantasy characters (moe) and how awful it is that all (exagerrated) anime is being made to cater to moe-fans. But (granted, maybe I'm not reading the right discussions) little is made of how a large percentage of female targeted anime/manga is obsessed with the objectification of men as "pretty" dolls for the girls to play with. (I note this considering the recent turn of the Genshiken manga and it's depiction of fujoshi combined with my own experience with female targetted doujinshi, plus a small touch of the "Twilight" phenomenon)
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
"It's a cliché to mention Kanon and K-On, but they are still useful as popular reference points. The girls in those types of shows bear no real resemblance to reality.

Huh.. I guess I should inform my friend who claims she acts exactly like Azusa then and relates a lot to her. Razz

Quote:
Of course, the criticisms to deliberately moe-planned characterizations can still be made with this in mind. The overriding one as it relates to social concerns--and as much as some would like to pretend to, you cannot separate fiction from reality, because the former is in some way a reflection of the latter--is that these female characters are not actual girls with their own strengths and weaknesses in their own rights, but rather heavily idealized, romanticized pets. They give viewers the same feelings as those who watch cute cat/dog/bunny/penguin/llama videos. They're reduced to infantalized, cute objects.

People keep using that word, but no one actually bothers explaining what they mean. How does Yui not act similar to real life girls? How is she infantalized? Because she can't really take care of herself out of laziness and clumsiness? Then what do you call Ui who CAN take care of herself (and her sister to boot, which is kind of one of the jokes of the show)?

I can name some characteristics those characters have that I find in various people I know. Are they exaggerated? Of course, it's a comedy show, that's the point. Just like in a One Piece Luffy displays a lot more unrealistic motives and emotions than you'll find in the average guy. Does that make shounen sexist because the typical 'too dumb to live' stereotype like Luffy or Goku exist? Or displays an unrealistic amount of determination that give guys an insecurity or false sense of standards to live up to? How are Goku and Luffy not 'infanalizied' as you put it but Ritsu and Ui are? Ui can actually survive on her own.. not so sure about Luffy. Razz

HeeroTX wrote:
I would say to you that your problem is how the FANDOM has developed around these series rather than the depictions themselves. I think K-On is the parfect example of what I mean. First an foremost, K-On is basically Azu Manga Daioh with musical instruments. Both are 4-koma that make general jokes that are intended to be easily digestible rather than full of deep insight. I don't know about now, but I know when it came out, AzuManga was basically considered an anime sitcom rather than "moe". I don't see why stylistic art changes should convert something basically from "harmless, fluff amusement" to "society destroying mysoginy". Heck, take off the "magical girl" component and Yui from K-On is basically Usagi from Sailor Moon (a clumsy, sometimes lazy girl who is not good at school but tries her best and is strongly devoted and affectionate with her friends). Who else is basically the same character: Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Ahiru (Princess Tutu), Fein&Rein (Futago Hime), and probably 50 others from popular GIRLS shows I'm not aware of or can't remember off the top of my head. I think part of the problem people have with the backlash" is that detractors carpet-bomb against it and basically lump all titles they don't like (unless they are so clearly NOT "moe", like a bad hentai or naruto-filler, for example) into "moe" because they are artistically similar and many FANS choose to view them that way. To give the difference IMO, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu is "moe" (the character is painfully constructed to appeal to a moe fanbase, altho the show has the most picture perfect Akihabara depiction I can think of) whereas K-On is not. They are stylistically similar, and many fans may "treat" the characters the same, but the characters are totally different.

Oh yeah, that is funny how K-ON is considered 'sexist garbage' by a very very vocal minority, yet those same people usually give Azumanga Daioh a free pass, despite being similar shows, because Azumanga Daioh is a 'classic' or something. Same show, different paint (though I'd say Nichijou is my favorite right now)

I do like the comparison to Usagi.. both her and Yui are pretty clumsy and simple people. To bash one and not the other is pretty hypocritical.

Quote:
"Moe" as a concept is also not really understood by most (all?) westerners (including myself). Pick up one of the later volumes of Genshiken, one of the guest mangaka bits is a bonus in the back with the caption "Madarame is the most 'moe' character in Genshiken (yes, I'm serious)" (or something like that). But I don't think anyone would call Genshiken a "moe" manga/anime. Which reminds me of an interesting point, is "moe" any more harmful in terms of objectification than "BL"? I ask because much is often made of how perverse and mysoginistic male otaku are for crafting these fantasy characters (moe) and how awful it is that all (exagerrated) anime is being made to cater to moe-fans. But (granted, maybe I'm not reading the right discussions) little is made of how a large percentage of female targeted anime/manga is obsessed with the objectification of men as "pretty" dolls for the girls to play with. (I note this considering the recent turn of the Genshiken manga and it's depiction of fujoshi combined with my own experience with female targetted doujinshi, plus a small touch of the "Twilight" phenomenon)

For proof, just go look at the Saimoe Tournament thread, people are confused at the various characters Japan considers 'moe' because it doesn't fit with their preconceived definition of the word. Razz They have like an 80 year old woman listened in the tournament after all.

I guess it pretty much is a western thing. I still stand by my statement of how it's great Japan keeps making shows starring females. 'Sexist moe trash' or not, because I guess one person's trash is another person's treasure, as they say. I suppose the way some people in the west complain about those shows is the exact reason we don't really have any shows starring females here (or good female characters in general.. even in the boy shows the girls tend to be awful) Confused We're too obsessed with being 'PC' that networks don't even bother making cartoons starring girls anymore (well unless it's Barbie or My Little Pony or whatever)
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
I would counter-argue that what you just described here is more or less the definition of what a character in a work of fiction IS.
I would hope that you wouldn't think that all characters are like that, though. And again, I'm not saying that idealized/romanticized depictions are inherently wrong.

Quote:
Your comment about fiction being inseparable from reality ignores a critical point: Of course there is a connection, and it's relevant to explore critically, but there's a big difference between objectifying actual, living women, and female characters in a work of fiction.
No, I'm fully aware of that. But while there's no moral issue about objectifying characters--since no actual living thing is being harmed--that doesn't really devalue complaints about the specific objectification we're talking about.

Quote:
Characters are meant to be objectified.
In the strictest sense, yeah. But that doesn't mean there can't be a gulf of nuances between them. Black characters really shouldn't be reduced to Amos n' Andy depictions, for example.

HeeroTX wrote:
I would say to you that your problem is how the FANDOM has developed around these series rather than the depictions themselves.
I don't see how both can't be issues, though.

Quote:
I think K-On is the parfect example of what I mean. First an foremost, K-On is basically Azu Manga Daioh with musical instruments.
On a fundamental level, I agree with this.

Quote:
Heck, take off the "magical girl" component and Yui from K-On is basically Usagi from Sailor Moon (a clumsy, sometimes lazy girl who is not good at school but tries her best and is strongly devoted and affectionate with her friends). Who else is basically the same character...
To be honest, the only characters I'm familiar with are Ahiru and Usagi, and I haven't seen either of the series in years (Sailor Moon even more, considering my exposure has just been through television back in the '90s). So on a very basic, reductionist level, I cannot dispute the base characterization that you describe. But I don't think it's good to just use that as a judgment of the characters without also including nuances and differences in their depictions.

Quote:
I think part of the problem people have with the "moe-backlash" is that detractors carpet-bomb against it and basically lump all titles they don't like (unless they are so clearly NOT "moe", like a bad hentai or naruto-filler, for example) into "moe" because they are artistically similar and many FANS choose to view them that way.
I would agree that there's very broad, self-defeating criticisms being made

Quote:
"Moe" as a concept is also not really understood by most (all?) westerners (including myself). Pick up one of the later volumes of Genshiken, one of the guest mangaka bits is a bonus in the back with the caption "Madarame is the most 'moe' character in Genshiken (yes, I'm serious)" (or something like that).
You're referring to Hirano (of Hellsing fame) and his little contribution, IIRC. I thought that was hilarious. Laughing

Quote:
Which reminds me of an interesting point, is "moe" any more harmful in terms of objectification than "BL"?
Well, yes and no. Yes, if only for the very simple reason that men hold greater power in society than females. (Again, this is keeping in mind that Japan's obsessions with cuteness and youth are issues at large, and moe is merely a symptom.) No, because both tend to be severe idealizations of a specific gender.

Jessica Hart wrote:
Huh.. I guess I should inform my friend who claims she acts exactly like Azusa then and relates a lot to her. Razz
There are likely people out there who claim they act like and can relate to Kamina from Gurren Lagann. That doesn't mean it's actually the case, unless someone really is just a cardboard cutout.

Quote:
People keep using that word, but no one actually bothers explaining what they mean. How does Yui not act similar to real life girls? How is she infantalized? Because she can't really take care of herself out of laziness and clumsiness? Then what do you call Ui who CAN take care of herself (and her sister to boot, which is kind of one of the jokes of the show)?
Just because someone is capable of something doesn't mean that any idealization of laziness and clumsiness--and when the character is just that--show a kind of infantilization. Yui is not a real person, but that doesn't mean any depictions of women like this isn't an issue.

Quote:
Does that make shounen sexist because the typical 'too dumb to live' stereotype like Luffy or Goku exist? Or displays an unrealistic amount of determination that give guys an insecurity or false sense of standards to live up to? How are Goku and Luffy not 'infanalizied' as you put it but Ritsu and Ui are
Goku and Luffy are both a kind of man-child (men-children?), but the reason for why they're like that doesn't really have much of a basis in reality. People don't think, "Gosh, I wish more men were childish like Goku and Luffy."

Quote:
I suppose the way some people in the west complain about those shows is the exact reason we don't really have any shows starring females here (or good female characters in general.. even in the boy shows the girls tend to be awful) Confused We're too obsessed with being 'PC' that networks don't even bother making cartoons starring girls anymore (well unless it's Barbie or My Little Pony or whatever)
Uh, which is why the attractive woman is frequently married/attractive to a not-as-attractive, frequently dumb man (see: The King of Queens, nearly every Adam Sandler movie ever made, etc.)? Whether at the forefront or just in a supporting role, women as objects (compared to various desires, interests, etc. that the men may have) isn't good. The reason why you have trouble getting main female leads isn't being we're "PC" or due to feminism or whatever: it's because those in charge of putting the shows out are still incredibly sexist against females.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Which reminds me of an interesting point, is "moe" any more harmful in terms of objectification than "BL"? I ask because much is often made of how perverse and mysoginistic male otaku are for crafting these fantasy characters (moe) and how awful it is that all (exagerrated) anime is being made to cater to moe-fans. But (granted, maybe I'm not reading the right discussions) little is made of how a large percentage of female targeted anime/manga is obsessed with the objectification of men as "pretty" dolls for the girls to play with. (I note this considering the recent turn of the Genshiken manga and it's depiction of fujoshi combined with my own experience with female targetted doujinshi, plus a small touch of the "Twilight" phenomenon)

Don't feel like touching the rest of your post, but do want to talk about this.

First: You really must be hanging out on the wrong parts of the Internet if you haven't seen people, often women, objecting to the Seme/Uke stereotypes in BL anime.

Second: What is wrong with women wanting some male objectification? Why is it a bad thing that women want shows with an all Bishonen cast?
It's not. And in theory neither is wrong with men wanting female objectification, if all things were equal. But it's not. Japan, America, and the world at large have a culture that is relentlessly paternalistic and sexist. Female objectification is everywhere and omnipresent. I love anime that's both aimed at both men and women, and I've seen a wide variety of shows. But it seems every single one of them has some panty shot or close up on a woman's breasts, unless the series is actually noted for avoiding fanservice.

And that's another thing, you notice how what people describe as fanservice, the panty shots & bouncing boobs, are all directed towards men. No precursor, no modifier , just flat out sexulalization of women for the male audience's pleasure is blanketly called fanservice, Does this mean I can't enjoy shows or series in spite of this? Of course not, if I didn't tolerate fanservice I couldn't be a fan of Anime or Manga.

Third: And here's where I get to why whenever the discussion of female objectification in either Western or Eastern culture, someone always stands up and goes “what about the women objectifying the men?” enrages me full-scale.

Women are a minority. If you calculated out the numbers of every person on earth, the gender divide falls along a 51-49 percentage divide, with women outnumbering the men slightly. What does that mean? Not a damn thing, because as far as pop culture, familial culture, or any culture men are “the default” and women are “the other”.

While we've overcome in leaps and bounds the genuinely horrific treatment of women in centuries and millenia past, there are still remains remnants that color our attitudes today.

As for example the ye old, since this discussion is about female sexuality, expectation that women are to be virgins until their wedding day, while men are free to sleep around until they settle down with “the right kind of girl”. There are of course people who still believe that whole-heartedly, but at least they are in the minority now. But this attitude is still prevalent. Men who sleep around are studs, women who do the same are sluts.

You can see this all over American culture, but it's not nearly as... passionate as some parts of the Japanese and much more specifically the otaku culture, see the recent massive otaku shitfit over the revelation that a female idol was not in fact a virgin. Dear god, how dare she have a sexuality all her own that prevents us from projecting our fantasies onto her.

Forth: There is a reason most people don't try to compare the male audience with female objectification to the female audience with male objectification, because you really can't. The male audience is the default and the objectification of women is everywhere. Marketing towards women, especially the fujoshi demographic, is a niche market (within the already niche anime market). Fanservice towards women is the exception, and you can for the most part avoid it completely.

There is no insane cultural pressure from birth on men to conform to the unreasonable expectations set out culturally in regards to sex. Objectification of women is sexist because it demeans women into unrealistic ideals, if she does not fulfil your sexual fantasy, she's not a person.
Banden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Quote:
Your comment about fiction being inseparable from reality ignores a critical point: Of course there is a connection, and it's relevant to explore critically, but there's a big difference between objectifying actual, living women, and female characters in a work of fiction.
No, I'm fully aware of that. But while there's no moral issue about objectifying characters--since no actual living thing is being harmed--that doesn't really devalue complaints about the specific objectification we're talking about.

Quote:
Characters are meant to be objectified.
In the strictest sense, yeah. But that doesn't mean there can't be a gulf of nuances between them. Black characters really shouldn't be reduced to Amos n' Andy depictions, for example.

Not merely in the strictest sense, but literally in every aspect! That's literally what any character in a work of fiction is: A shorthand imagined representation of a real person, deliberately constructed by the author to invoke certain reactions from readers.

Whether it's a moeblob anime character pandering to male otaku, or an empowered career woman character written to appeal to someone with sensibilities more like yours, in the world of fiction both are equally objectified representations of womanhood. There's no way to get rid of that objectification, because they aren't real people. There's no oppressed identity behind the character to free from the stereotype, because all of it is completely imaginary. When you ask for female characters to be more empowered, all you are really asking for is to replace one kind of objectification for another. You may find the results more satisfying, but nothing's really changed in terms of the power dynamic.

Sewingrose wrote:
Objectification of women is sexist because it demeans women into unrealistic ideals, if she does not fulfil your sexual fantasy, she's not a person.

Yes, but cartoons are not people, so that solution doesn't fit the problem?

As I said before, if you're talking about women in the real world, and not characters, that's completely different, and a completely valid topic for discussion. But if fiction isn't allowed to experiment with characterizations that readers are enthusiastic about, we can no longer call it fiction.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Not merely in the strictest sense, but literally in every aspect! That's literally what any character in a work of fiction is: A shorthand imagined representation of a real person, deliberately constructed by the author to invoke certain reactions from readers.
But not all shorthands are equal...

Quote:
Whether it's a moeblob anime character pandering to male otaku, or an empowered career woman character written to appeal to someone with sensibilities more like yours, in the world of fiction both are equally objectified representations of womanhood. There's no way to get rid of that objectification, because they aren't real people. There's no oppressed identity behind the character to free from the stereotype, because all of it is completely imaginary.
... because, as I said before, fiction reflects reality, whether how it is or how certain people think it is (edit: or should be). Let's say there is a trend of black characters in films engaging in buffoonery. Or them working in the fields, eating watermelon. Or any number of other stereotypes about them. (Or we could even look back and see how blacks were depicted on-screen in America over the first half of the 20th century. And, what do you know, in real life, things were pretty damn horrible for them!) The characters themselves obviously aren't oppressed because they don't exist. No duh. But if that is how they are depicted on-screen, that is indicative of at least some people viewing them like that in real life, and continues to perpetuate the stereotype. Same thing applies here.

I don't think anyone harbors illusions that women in Japan will have their problems solved if female characters are treated equally in the cartoon and live-action series. But it's regressive to say that it cannot be critiqued and considered symptomatic of a larger issue of how many men view women.

Last edited by Bonham on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
The male audience is the default and the objectification of women is everywhere. Marketing towards women, especially the fujoshi demographic, is a niche market (within the already niche anime market). Fanservice towards women is the exception, and you can for the most part avoid it completely.

I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna touch the rest of this if you're going to make the argument that the fujoshi demographic is a "niche" but "moe" is the norm. That's just ridiculous. (and I realize that's not what the above says, but that's what I was making note of and SPECIFICALLY what I questioned, BL vs. moe, NOT BL vs. "all objectifcation depictions in perpetuity")
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna touch the rest of this if you're going to make the argument that the fujoshi demographic is a "niche" but "moe" is the norm. That's just ridiculous.
Well, I don't exactly keep up with the absurdities of fandom, but this seems like a dodge on Sewingrose's points as I don't recall reading anything like this coming from the fujoshi portion of the it*:

Sewingrose wrote:
You can see this all over American culture, but it's not nearly as... passionate as some parts of the Japanese and much more specifically the otaku culture, see the recent massive otaku shitfit over the revelation that a female idol was not in fact a virgin. Dear god, how dare she have a sexuality all her own that prevents us from projecting our fantasies onto her.

*I suppose one could make a distinction between parts of the fandom who love moe and those who love voice actresses and idols, but there seems to be way too much overlap between the two for that argument to be really credible.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
But it seems every single one of them has some panty shot or close up on a woman's breasts, unless the series is actually noted for avoiding fanservice.

..What's wrong with that? We have boobs.. sometimes they jiggle and get in the way depending how 'endowed' you are. I'd rather they be treated normally than seen as non-existent or evil like in western cartoons where you're lucky if the animators even acknowledge girls have boobs and draw a little cleavage line. Anime tends to be pretty equal in this, just about any shounen will features the guys shirtless for a good portion of screen time Wink

Quote:

Um, if you mean that Aya Hirano thing then isn't that kind of the point? Aren't idols are meant to be seen that way since that's what they are, culturally? That's what being an idol is. Just like a nun/priestess in western culture? If a nun slept around and stuff then yes, that'd be a cause of alarm for those circle of people. Though I still like her Very Happy

Bonham wrote:
Uh, which is why the attractive woman is frequently married/attractive to a not-as-attractive, frequently dumb man (see: The King of Queens, nearly every Adam Sandler movie ever made, etc.)?

Yeah, stuff like that. Guys can be dumb, stupid, ugly, but women have to be perfect/hot/smart. Women will always be right. End of story. If there's a Men VS Women episode, the women will almost always win, or they'll tie and learn about equality and most of the time it's started because of the men badmouthing women or something. And while 'women are perfect' is flattering and all, it's also patronizing and boring. Razz I like Yui, she's silly and dumb, but fun to watch (well, actually my favroites are Ritsu and Mugi, but still). I like the crazy/goofy/cute girls in anime usually. Or really any of them with an interesting personality. Anime isn't really afraid to make them out to be stupid, silly, dumb, or clumsy.

Quote:
The reason why you have trouble getting main female leads isn't being we're "PC" or due to feminism or whatever: it's because those in charge of putting the shows out are still incredibly sexist against females.

Yeah, that's true too, but by PC I meant more what I said in my previous paragraph. Like unless the girl is perfect, people will complain about 'bad role models' so we just get the boring perfect female stereotype. I'm mostly talking about animation though, not live action movies and shows where there's a bit more variety. I mean how like the only girls you see in action shows are like Kim Possible; perfect and excel at everything and have no real flaws outside maybe an 'moral of the day' episode. In other words, kinda boring. If they tried to make a female hero like Usagi here (crybaby, runs away, clumsy, etc) it'd probably get under fire from femnist groups as being seen as a poor role model.... which is why i don't like calling myself a femnist much, the word has a bad history.

Though when it comes to kids stuff, that's really just networks being sexist here. I've read a lot of articles and posts about people in the industry who were flat out told by CN/Nick execs that "Girls don't sell, we're not going to make a show with a female lead unless given a good reason, period" Or maybe it's the audiences' fault if they don't 'sell' like said. I guess it's a chicken or the egg thing... which causes which.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
I'd rather they be treated normally than seen as non-existent or evil like in western cartoons where you're lucky if the animators even acknowledge girls have boobs and draw a little cleavage line.
Well, normal would be treating nudity and revealing clothing as just another fact of life, rather than having the hero STUMBLE AND NOSE BLEED AND STUTTERING ARGH.

Quote:
Yeah, stuff like that. Guys can be dumb, stupid, ugly, but women have to be perfect/hot/smart. Women will always be right. End of story.
The message in those scenarios I mention seem more to me to say, "Look at these idiot, loser guys keep on scoring these hawt women," rather than suggesting that men are hopeless compared to amazing women. Even when something along those lines are suggested, you can result in stuff like this.
Banden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Banden wrote:
But not all shorthands are equal...

Of course not. My stereotypes of you are regressive, but your stereotypes of me are entirely progressive, I think is how that line of thinking usually goes? Of course, people generally go to extreme lengths to avoid owning up to manifestations of their own prejudices, agreed? Smile

Bonham wrote:
I don't think anyone harbors illusions that women in Japan will have their problems solved if female characters are treated equally in the cartoon and live-action series. But it's regressive to say that it cannot be critiqued and considered symptomatic of a larger issue of how many men view women.

I believe I have acknowledged this twice so far. Fiction, by it's nature of pandering to different readers' proclivities, is indeed a reflection of how men view women (and vice verse, of course...) in the real world. We are agreed on this point. My point is that all fiction is stereotype or objectification to one degree or another, and that in the absence of characters who are real people with real personalities that can evolve without some creative team's guiding hand, the only thing you can to do in an attempt to change that would be for you to replace other people's stereotypes with your own, effectively placing yourself in the role of objectifier-in-chief. You seem to be decidedly unreceptive to my point of view.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
(feminist argument/rant full of straw man arguments and unexamined assumptions (I disagree with) about how society should be organized)

Yeah ok.

I can't fully reply to this due to time. But...

Sewingrose wrote:

Second: What is wrong with women wanting some male objectification? Why is it a bad thing that women want shows with an all Bishonen cast?
It's not. And in theory neither is wrong with men wanting female objectification, if all things were equal. But it's not. Japan, America, and the world at large have a culture that is relentlessly paternalistic and sexist. Female objectification is everywhere and omnipresent.

Yeah, that's why it's ok for Palestinians to fire rockets at Israeli citizens, but not ok for Israelis to fire rockets at Palestinian citizens.

Bonham wrote:
Jessica Hart wrote:
I'd rather they be treated normally than seen as non-existent or evil like in western cartoons where you're lucky if the animators even acknowledge girls have boobs and draw a little cleavage line.
Well, normal would be treating nudity and revealing clothing as just another fact of life, rather than having the hero STUMBLE AND NOSE BLEED AND STUTTERING ARGH.

I hypothesize that, for adolescent Japanese school boys (which most of the protagonists in such shows are), this is a realistic way of responding to an attractive naked girl.

Keeping mind that the nose bleed is just an artistic shorthand for showing sexual arousal, since it's a lot easier (and more acceptable to the Broadcast Standards guys) than zooming in on a boy's crotch.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Of course not. My stereotypes of you are regressive, but your stereotypes of me are entirely progressive, I think is how that line of thinking usually goes? Of course, people generally go to extreme lengths to avoid owning up to manifestations of their own prejudices, agreed? Smile
Okay. Maybe it's because I'm distracted at the moment, but this reply seems to have insinuations that I don't get. Perhaps if you could be more direct in clarifying...?

Quote:
My point is that all fiction is stereotype or objectification to one degree or another, and that in the absence of characters who are real people with real personalities that can evolve without some creative team's guiding hand, the only thing you can to do in an attempt to change that would be for you to replace other people's stereotypes with your own, effectively placing yourself in the role of objectifier-in-chief. You seem to be decidedly unreceptive to my point of view.
In basic terms: the black characters depicted in Do the Right Thing should be considered just as valid and objectified as the black characters in The Birth of a Nation.

einhorn303 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
(feminist argument/rant full of straw man arguments and unexamined assumptions (I disagree with) about how society should be organized)

Yeah ok.
Uh, I don't get how pointing out historical and continued inequality and privilege relates to that at all. And that you include "feminist argument" (with all of the connotations that includes when guys say something like that) is rather alarming.

Quote:
Yeah, that's why it's ok for Palestinians to fire rockets at Israeli citizens, but not ok for Israelis to fire rockets at Palestinian citizens.
Did you really have to invoke that?

Quote:
I hypothesize that, for adolescent Japanese school boys (which most of the protagonists in such shows are), this is a realistic way of responding to an attractive naked girl.
Maybe Japanese school boys are cartoonish, but neither myself nor any of the guys I've ever known have acted like that (including any points that may be exaggerated).

Quote:
Keeping mind that the nose bleed is just an artistic shorthand for showing sexual arousal, since it's a lot easier (and more acceptable to the Broadcast Standards guys) than zooming in on a boy's crotch.
But there are other ways to do depict sexual arousal that don't have the be a wrecking ball.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Yeah ok.
Uh, I don't get how pointing out historical and continued inequality and privilege relates to that at all. And that you include "feminist argument" (with all of the connotations that includes when guys say something like that) is rather alarming.

There's nothing more alarming than someone having a different opinion.

...But nah, I don't want to play the snark game. But in all seriousness, I do think you're underestimating the similar social pressures males have to live with. Like going through every day worrying if people think you're a sexual predator, or getting serious death threats in middle school because another boy thinks you're gay (and that's socially-ingrained self-gender hatred). And a wide variety of things which already fill many books.

Quote:
Quote:
Did you really have to invoke that?

I didn't want to myself, and tried to reword it in a situation-neutral way, but that just made it awkward.
Banden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Banden wrote:
Okay. Maybe it's because I'm distracted at the moment, but this reply seems to have insinuations that I don't get. Perhaps if you could be more direct in clarifying...?

I can't read minds, but many of your comments give an impression that you believe there is some kind of mutually agreed standard of what kinds of gender and racial character types are progressive and/or regressive. Obviously there is no such standard, and something you might read in a book or see in a movie that you think is sexist, other women won't necessarily agree with you on every time. It's a very slippery slope, particularly when the discussion is about fictional characters, because they aren't sentient creatures with minds of their own who have problems or struggle with gender issues. They are artificial creations, designed for a specific object purpose, to validate or invalidate someone's point of view somewhere in the creative process. Even characters like Ally McBeal and Carrie Bradshaw that many self-identifying gender progressive women like, ultimately boil down to objectified depictions that validate some people's views of how women should behave (primarily the viewers themselves of course).

That's how fiction works. It's unavoidable. You can change the world so that all female characters in anime are confident, successful, and independent women, and marginalize the creative people who would depict them as anything flattering, but in doing so all you would really be accomplishing is to claim the objectivizer's chair for yourself. The power dynamic wouldn't change.

Again though, none of this applies to the objectification of real women in real life. That is a completely separate conversation in which your arguments here carry more weight. Movie rules don't apply to real life. Movies are crazy, movies are dangerous. They have disclaimers telling us not to try this at home for a reason. That doesn't mean they are a problem and we need to reform them. It just means that we need to respect them for what they are, and maintain a keen awareness of the difference between fiction and reality.

Bonham wrote:
Banden wrote:
My point is that all fiction is stereotype or objectification to one degree or another, and that in the absence of characters who are real people with real personalities that can evolve without some creative team's guiding hand, the only thing you can to do in an attempt to change that would be for you to replace other people's stereotypes with your own, effectively placing yourself in the role of objectifier-in-chief. You seem to be decidedly unreceptive to my point of view.
In basic terms: the black characters depicted in Do the Right Thing should be considered just as valid and objectified as the black characters in The Birth of a Nation.

What does that even mean? "Valid"? Do you even fully understand what you are saying yourself, I wonder?

Valid to incorporate into works of fiction? Of course! How else are films like The Help going to get made? Not by slapping arbitrary labels on character types as "valid" or "invalid". If there's anything more regressive than trying to cover up our collective past mistakes by concealing it or purging it from films and literature, I'm not sure what it would be.

Last edited by Banden on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8