• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Tunnel of Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
When Zac said that he was going to revisit past articles, I was hoping that he would also revisit and commoent on "Flake of the Week" in a past article (especially the really funny ones)

Flakes of the Week is mainly the reason I read "Hey Answerman!" (not that the questions and rants are not interesting), so that I can get a good laugh.

Speaking of a good laugh, I've been looking @ past reviews of DVD and mangas in ANN Reviews section, trying to see if those reviews were graded "F" because I know that the critic will bash that DVD or manga-such as "Baoh!"- so much that the criticism's are hillarious. (Sorry if I'm a jerk for doing that)

Is there a function that pinpoints or finds the worst rated reviews, similar to how is the "top 10 best rated anime/manga" in the Encyclopedia section of ANN?
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
Haruhi. Serious business. Rolling Eyes

Can't we just have some fun philosophical crack every now and then? I agree with some review I saw shortly after -- Haruhi is all hyped not necessarily because it's so insightful or anything, but because it's different. Also, it's clearly humor. Take it too seriously, and it loses almost all merit.

EDIT: fixed tag
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Sadly, evidence suggests that volume 13 will be the last volume Funi releases, leaving half the series unreleased.
Don't lose hope. They might choose to continue it at a later time or the sales might pick up at some point.

I cling to my desperate hope.

The problem with shoujo anime releases is that both males and females buy shounen but most guys are unwilling to buy shoujo and, strangely, I don't think a lot of the ladies are buying it either.

Also, Kodocha's crap. Or at least the trailer is. I went from mildly interest in it to not at all interested, just based on the trailer.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
dormcat wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:
But Yuki is also my favorite character. I am not a big MOE fan, so Mikuru wasn't my cup of tea.

The fact is, if you ask a random fan of the series "who is more moe: Yuki or Mikuru?" Chances are you'll get Yuki:Mikuru = 2:1.

I have no idea how Yuki could possibly be considered more moe than Mikuru. That doesn't even make any sense to me. I realize that moe has come to mean varying things and has no concrete definition, but it seems like the majority see it as the kind of watery-eyed naive character that Mikuru is. (The most common features include youthfulness as a physical trait (younger age or twintails) or as an emotional trait (naive or innocent outlook) and some obvious sympathetic weakness the character works hard to correct (extreme clumsiness or a life-threatening disease).)- Wikipedia's definition.

So then perhaps if some people do consider Yuki moe, I should clarify. I don't like the 'innocent watery-eyed guys please do me. I look like jailbait even if I'm not actually' character type that most moe seems to refer to. I don't strongly dislike Mikuru, but she's not my favorite. I'd like her less if the series took her seriously, but the presentation of her character is obviously done as a parody of moe stereotypes and I can deal with parody.

There is only one single truism regarding moe, and it is simply that "your moe may not be my moe." For the past several years, 2-chan (Japanese message board) has been hosting an annual "SaiMoe" tournament where people can vote for the most moe female (doesn't have to be human - just female) character from anime that aired or was released as an OVA in the past year. The competition runs for several months, but eventually they wind up with with a final slate of several dozen entrants who are then matched in a single elimination tournament. Last year, the bracket draw resulted in Yuki going head-to-head against first Haruhi, and then Mikuru. Here are the results:

Nagato Yuki - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu – 1112
Suzumiya Haruhi - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu – 991

Nagato Yuki - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu – 944
Asahina Mikuru - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu – 859

Moral of the story: Lots of people think Yuki is moe. Smile Just for the record - Yuki made it to the quarter-final round, where she lost to Suiseiseki from Rozen Maiden ~Traumend~ by a vote of 1704 to 1518. Suiseiseki would go on to defeat Fate Testarossa from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's in the final and win the SaiMoe Tournament. Animated dolls don't happen to be my moe, but apparently many others have a different opinon. Laughing
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

Also, Kodocha's crap. Or at least the trailer is. I went from mildly interest in it to not at all interested, just based on the trailer.

Kodocha is nowhere near crap. It's awesome. It just takes a while to get into the humour. It's also a series that does work a LOT better in Japanese, since the humour flows better.

Jeez, judging an anime based on the TRAILER? And I thought basing your opinion on one episode was shallow-minded.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'm usually the first person to slam on the "pretentious" button for things with obtuse subtexts that I don't feel like even trying to understand, but Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer is my all-time favourite anime film. I guess what some people write off as "pretentious" in that film I find to be wonderful mysteries that aren't meant to be understood, but to each his own, I guess.

And I also prefer the first Patlabor movie to the second one, for the comedy and because it's actually a Patlabor movie, not a "couple of detectives taking most of the screentime away from the SV2" movie. (Though I do get a chuckle when Gotoh says "I can sing along if you like"... I like the second film, just not as much.) But I find several episodes of the 2nd Patlabor OVA series to be far superior to either Patlabor film, for comedy, drama, action, and even just slice-of-life (depending on the episode).

dormcat wrote:

The fact is, if you ask a random fan of the series "who is more moe: Yuki or Mikuru?" Chances are you'll get Yuki:Mikuru = 2:1.

The most hardcore moe fans I've seen seem to like "Imouto" (Kyon's younger sister, whose real name is never given) best, at least according to a moe battle I've seen on another website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
I like what I've seen of Kodocha.

As for the rant. Sorry ranter, but your rant is simply your opinion, not a fact, just like all of the other reviews out there are just opinion. I think Haruhi Suzumiya is a very fun show and I fully intend on buying it.

Often times when someone hears so much hype about something they get really disappointed when they actually see it because their hopes are so high. That's probably why I didn't think Evangelion was that great. A lot of people say they were disappointed by FMA after all of the hype they heard about it. I never heard any hype about FMA before watching it and it's one of my favorite anime.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
I couldn't help but stop over here and check out what 'Answerman's got to say. When I saw his "rant" on 'MHS', I was like..."oh boy, it's coming." Me thinks he likes punishment. Just like the folks, at the 'GIA', who ragged a terrible game that eventually won the hearts of some people.

Of course I had to laugh. "Don't believe the hype?" So, does this make you a 'Public Enemy' fan now? Razz

See me, I enjoyed the show but not to the extent of the so called "purists". "Bbbbbbbbrrr!!!" I really hate that word.

I'm really on the easy going side. I don't get hyped up for a show because everyone else is. I watched the show because people talked much about it. But mind you what little I managed to get wasn't nearly that "loud". I watched it and enjoyed it. And that was it. I have very mixed standards about what will bring me to a show. And it's usually by my own merits and not everyone elses. Though I'll look into suggestions. If it floats my boat I'll say, "ok!" if not...
I've watched many of the shows that folks were crazy about and I either took it with a grain of salt or went and watched paint dry.

I will eventually go out and purchase it but it's not really on the top of my list right now. It's a decent show even without the hype. If fans want to want to froth at the mouth about it then let them.

Fans will always hype over stuff. And they're entitled. That's why you test the waters before you dive in.

Stuff that was hyped, 'Cowboy Bebob', 'DBZ', 'Pokemon', 'Tenchi', 'Love Hina', 'Sailor Moon', 'FF7, 'FFX' and eventually 'FFXIII'. The list goes on and on.

There will always be hype. You can b***ch about it but you can't stop it. Heheh!

Oh I happen to like 'Kodocha' too, but I don't like it that much to devote my time to it. I only like certain parts of the show which are during the earlier episodes. Maybe one day I'll take it on.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
lady_youko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
Sweet Christ on a cracker! Finally someone understands the truth behind all this Haruhi mania- propaganda!

Yes it had its funny points and like Zac said it was mostly Kyon mentally angsting over what he's gotten himself into now. But when I watched this series I thought "Okay this is alright but most of the the time the humor is lost or the show is going now where at all."
Like spoiler[in the second to last episode (in anachronological order) where Kyon has to carry a heater around in the rain and we get a good 3 minutes of nothing but Yuki reading a book. Its like the animators pulled a Trinity Blood and said "Okay we have five minutes to fill but nothing to fill it with...um empty space time!]

For a show that has been advertised and reviewed as pretty much the second coming of Anime Christ, I would expect it to be a frantically paced non-stop laugh till you hurt fun fest. Not so, School Rumble 2 was funnier than this and that says A LOT!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
lady_youko wrote:

Like spoiler[in the second to last episode (in anachronological order) where Kyon has to carry a heater around in the rain and we get a good 3 minutes of nothing but Yuki reading a book. Its like the animators pulled a Trinity Blood and said "Okay we have five minutes to fill but nothing to fill it with...um empty space time!]

Of course it's the next episode in Kyon's order is where you figured out where KyoAni concentrated most of their budget.
ice9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
While I will say that pretty much everything the ranter said is true, that's why I like the series. The only reasons I could find in that whole rant for why he didn't like the show was because Asahina was just for fanservice, the writing was confusing, and it should have been longer. The fanservice thing is actually the express reason Asahina is in the series (according to Haruhi) and everyone wanted the show to be longer (it was stopped so Kyoto Animation could do the remake of Kanon). I will admit that the plot was rather inscruitable at times, but I hardly think the last half of the series was filler and I thought the last episode in particular was very sweet. Alright, the Day of Sagitarius III episode was filler, as was the ENOZ episode, but those are some of the funnest filler episodes I've ever seen.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I don't recall seeing any incest in the first Tenchi movie but then again it's been a long time since I've seen it. I personally don't think it's fair to call movies like the Sailor Moon and Inuyasha movies "sequels" since they're more of self-contained stories rather than a direct continuation of the previous film. I consider those types of "sequels" to be more like extended filler-in episodes with a big movie budget rather than true "sequels." And The Cat Returns isn't a sequel. The only connection it has to Whisper Of The Heart is that both movies feature the Baron, but the plots are otherwise unrelated. I think "spin-off" would be a more appropriate term for it. And I love how the ranter tells others not to believe the hype behind Haruhi but then expects people to agree with them that Haruhi is "over-rated." Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I think Haruhi Suzumiya's animation was great throughout the entire series. I didn't think that scene with Yuki reading the book for 5 minutes was cheapness. I just thought it was a slow paced episode with not much going on so the people who made it wanted the viewer to feel the same way. It's kinda like what Tim O-Brein did with his novel The Things They Carried.
lady_youko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
There is no way you can compare a personal account of the Vietnam war to five minutes of blank space in an anime. Bad analogy.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
There is no such thing as overrating anime because its the opinion of the person who watch the anime. So,if you think the anime is so-so in your opinion than that your opinion not anyone else. Saying that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is not as good as everyone says is as bad as rabid fanboys/fangirls saying that the greatest anime ever and do not argue with its. I hate when anime fans tried to hijack your feelings about a series that you think is a Masterpiece and tell you that its suck!!!

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6