• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Tunnel of Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
lady_youko wrote:
There is no way you can compare a personal account of the Vietnam war to five minutes of blank space in an anime. Bad analogy.

Maybe it is, but there were times when the book was boring and repetitive, but Tim did it intentionally because he wanted the readers to feel the way he felt. That's what I'm comparing to the "blank space" in Haruhi Suzumiya. Other than that the two fictions are nothing alike.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Stuff that was hyped, 'Cowboy Bebob', 'DBZ', 'Pokemon', 'Tenchi', 'Love Hina', 'Sailor Moon', 'FF7, 'FFX' and eventually 'FFXIII'. The list goes on and on.

Very Happy I'm so surprised you didn't list Evangelion. (I don't like the series but maybe that's just cause I made the mistake of watching the dub and got annoyed by the voices...)

Personally I have a lot of friends that like Suzumiya Haruhi, and when it first aired I thought the animation was cute, read a few threads on forums about it (usually the "OMG this series is crap!" ones because a person only watched the episode that was the student film), and kind of forgot about it until I heard it was licensed. Then I did some actually research on it (which really you would think spoils an anime, but I still end up wanting to see the things happen) and will probably end up getting the DVDs when they come out.

Over-hyped or not, I think it's always worth it for people to at least give a series a try from their own perspective and not just listen to what other people say (because really you have half the crowd going "Oh it's so awesome!" and the other half going "It's so over-rated!", it gets confusing as to who you should listen to).

Though, I know most people who want to try out a series would probably go the renting it route, I don't know if any video rental stores will carry it... last I saw they still had 75% of the stuff they carried when I first got interested in anime over seven years ago.
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

But more to the point, these characters were supposed to be parodies of anime chiches. Moe girl, silent girl, mysterious transfer student, and the character who knows everything but can't tell. They were supposed to be so over the top that they're funny.

-Not enough plot. I wanted less plot. I thought the best parts of the series was the slice-of-life stuff. There's an unrecognized sub-genre of anime I call "WTF is going on here?!" It includes shows like Air and Utena, about situations where something mysterious and magical is occurring, but we don't know what until later episodes. And while the shows may be good, it's usually not because the mystery. SHnY follows this pattern. The show was not about the aliens, espers, and time travellers. It was about the people.

I agree as well that SHnY wasn't about the plot. Sure, the plot was interesting: trying to find aliens, time travellers, and espers. In the end, it wasn't really all that original, however I really enjoyed the slice of life aspect in the story. But the show wasn't all about the plot but rather the character interactions. I ultimately think this is what made SHnY so popular.
radda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
radda wrote:
Quote:
The Ana chronological\Chronological debate. Who ever decided to air this series out of order and\or without a script rewrite to make this series flow better is an idiot.

The original novels were written that way. Granted, I understand why you don't like the way the series was presented, but calling the producers idiots because they decided to stage the story like the novels did is asinine, and proves that you didn't do your research at all.

YOU are the one who didn't do your research. Volume one of the novels, named "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" covered the chronological episodes 1-6.

I believe a NO U! is in order here.

The third volume of the series (from which the Island, baseball, and cave cricket episodes come from) takes place BEFORE the second, which is about filming the movie. The third follows the fourth (which takes place after the festival), but the fifth goes before AND after the second (it's where the game competition comes from, but it has some stories that take place before the festival). The sixth is after the second, as it tells of the festival itself (more specifically the concert), and the seventh follows it, although I haven't finished reading it yet.

They're out of order, just like the series.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
ice9 wrote:
Everyone wanted the show to be longer (it was stopped so Kyoto Animation could do the remake of Kanon).
The ANN Trivia on tMOHS wrote:
Speculation says that Kyoto Animation's decision to end this anime at 14 episodes is due to their restaffing of manpower to work on the upcoming Kanon remake. This most likely is not true, however, since most anime episode counts are decided before the anime is aired.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
I like all of the Inuyasha movies, but my favorite is the third movie because it deals with Inuyasha's father and the sibling rivalry between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. It also seemed like the fighting didn't drag on as much in that movie.
You and my sister would get along so well. She loved Swords of an Honorable Ruler for the exact same reasons.

Personally, I liked Affections Touching Across Time best, but I'm a sucker for any Kagome/Inuyasha scenes.

I've always wondered why people get so down on anime movies based on shows most of the time though. I mean, what do people expect them to be? They can't generally make radical changes to the ongoing series plot if the show is based on a manga, unless the anime makers want to go the FMA route and ditch the manga. They have to be self-contained "filler" stories. Or would you like them to take a manga arc, condense it massively, and air that as a movie?

Personally, I just try to enjoy the usually fun story. Same with filler in a series, I just try to enjoy it for what it is. Not every single second of anime has to be devoted to the main plot.

Sandstar wrote:
Also, Kodocha's crap. Or at least the trailer is. I went from mildly interest in it to not at all interested, just based on the trailer.
Well, that's your choice, but I would recommend actually trying to watch the series if you haven't. It's very good in my opinion, although it starts off kind of weak with the whole Sana vs. Akito thing. Once it moves beyond that her trying to figure out why Akito is so messed up, then the series starts to really get good in my opinion.

On the subject of shoujo anime in general, some of it I like and some is just not my scene. I think it can be successful here but I think the fanbase needs to realize that they can't always wait to buy some series. A series like Kodocha doesn't have the same fanbase as, say, Bleach. It needs people to buy it as soon as possible. I've been buying Kodocha's singles and I'm waiting for a Bleach boxset. Why? Because Kodocha needs support and Viz boxsets beat their singles in my opinion.

Also, I think there's a serious problem with anime marketing. As in, there really isn't a lot of marketing going on. Advertising is important. Advertising outside the anime magazines and comic shops and anime blocks on networks is essential. Maybe I'm naive, but I think there are a lot of people who would embrace anime and manga if only they could be exposed to what it really is rather than what they think it is.

At one point, I held a negative view of anime. Then I started to get exposed to a few kids shows and I met some people who liked anime that was a little more serious. Finally, I discovered Blood: The Last Vampire and realized that anime was worth my attention.

I'd been a cartoon lover for years, but it wasn't until then that I started to get into anime, because my exposure was so limited. Advertising is necessary!
gæfuleysi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
Is there a function that pinpoints or finds the worst rated reviews, similar to how is the "top 10 best rated anime/manga" in the Encyclopedia section of ANN?

I wish.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

Also, Kodocha's crap. Or at least the trailer is. I went from mildly interest in it to not at all interested, just based on the trailer.

Kodocha is nowhere near crap. It's awesome. It just takes a while to get into the humour. It's also a series that does work a LOT better in Japanese, since the humour flows better.

Jeez, judging an anime based on the TRAILER? And I thought basing your opinion on one episode was shallow-minded.

So you're saying that a trailer's NOT supposed to make me interested in the anime? What is a trailer supposed to do then? Why should I say "Hmm, I don't like the trailer, and the anime doesn't look like it'd be my thing, but what the hell, rather than buy something I KNOW I'll like, I'll blow the cash on something I've already got a negative opinion about, just so that I can be fair." (no, telling me to d/l fansubs or watch it on YouTube doesn't cut it.)
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
A trailer is suppose to give you a short of the show. So,judging a show by it trailer and buying its not a good idea. Trust me the trailer is probably the only enjoyment you get out of the anime or vise versa.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

Kodocha is nowhere near crap. It's awesome. It just takes a while to get into the humour. It's also a series that does work a LOT better in Japanese, since the humour flows better.

Jeez, judging an anime based on the TRAILER? And I thought basing your opinion on one episode was shallow-minded.

So you're saying that a trailer's NOT supposed to make me interested in the anime? What is a trailer supposed to do then? Why should I say "Hmm, I don't like the trailer, and the anime doesn't look like it'd be my thing, but what the hell, rather than buy something I KNOW I'll like, I'll blow the cash on something I've already got a negative opinion about, just so that I can be fair." (no, telling me to d/l fansubs or watch it on YouTube doesn't cut it.)

Kodocha is, as who_is_friend said, nowhere near crap. It's excellent and you really shouldn't label a show just by a trailer. You haven't seen the actual show, so even if you didn't like what you saw, saying a show is crap without even viewing it, is shallow.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi...well i was going to buy the dvd to see what the fuss is about but if im disappointed then i could just trade it in to get credit.

anyway the rant was overall good in my eyes. But i hope we still have a rant every column!

The way he looks back at his answers and explains whats wrong with it and how'd hed answer it now is cool. Its like proofreading you.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

Kodocha is, as who_is_friend said, nowhere near crap. It's excellent and you really shouldn't label a show just by a trailer. You haven't seen the actual show, so even if you didn't like what you saw, saying a show is crap without even viewing it, is shallow.

No, what he said was: In my OPINION, Kodocha's nowhere near crap. I also flipped through the manga, and wasn't really all that impressed. And, yes I CAN judge a show by it's trailer. That's what the trailer's for! To let me judge wether I want to see it or not. And I don't. Case closed. I don't have to watch Love Hina to know it's crap. I don't have to watch Kanon to know it's crap. Just because I haven't watched a show doesn't mean I can't know it's crap.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
No, what he said was: In my OPINION, Kodocha's nowhere near crap. I also flipped through the manga, and wasn't really all that impressed. And, yes I CAN judge a show by it's trailer. That's what the trailer's for! To let me judge wether I want to see it or not. And I don't. Case closed. I don't have to watch Love Hina to know it's crap. I don't have to watch Kanon to know it's crap. Just because I haven't watched a show doesn't mean I can't know it's crap.
So when he says that he doesn't think Kodocha is crap is just his opinion, whereas when you say it's crap it's somehow a fact? Can I call you crap because I read one post of yours before I actually meet you in person and say it's a fact that you're crap? Stop being a hypocrite and realize that when you say that Kodocha is crap, that's just as much your opinion as it is someone else's opinion to like it. Your opinion is not the be all end all of opinions nor are you some sort of perfect God that knows everything and can dictate what's crap and what isn't and ignore everybody else's opinion about a cartoon. Judging whether or not you want to see it is your opinion and you're free to do it if you want, but labeling something as crap before you've actually seen the anime (note, I said the anime, not the manga) makes you look like your opinion is somehow more authoritative and it makes you look ignorant.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

You can't judge anything based on a trailer. Look at recent movies like Pan's Labyrinth and Bridge to Terabithia. The trailers are nothing like the movies (at least BtT). How can you know if you'll like it if the trailer doesn't give the full picture.

Kodocha's also much better than the manga.

And Kanon is not crap by any length. ANY length. Animation's amazing, most of the characters are likeable, it's a fantastic adaptation, and the story is good.

In short, yes, you do need to watch a show to see if it's crap or not. Otherwise, how do you know?
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

You can't judge anything based on a trailer. Look at recent movies like Pan's Labyrinth and Bridge to Terabithia. The trailers are nothing like the movies (at least BtT). How can you know if you'll like it if the trailer doesn't give the full picture.

Kodocha's also much better than the manga.

And Kanon is not crap by any length. ANY length. Animation's amazing, most of the characters are likeable, it's a fantastic adaptation, and the story is good.

In short, yes, you do need to watch a show to see if it's crap or not. Otherwise, how do you know?

Tell you what: You buy me the DVDs, and I'll watch them. Then I'll tell you if I like it or not. Deal?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6