• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka 7 DVD 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this volume was incredible. I watched episode 26 over and over again in the fansubs. It is no doubt that I will get this ASAP.

However, did you REALLY have to compare it to Evangelion again? This is not to say anything good or bad about EITHER series, but they are completely different in focus and in storytelling methods. There are some similarities, but not enough for people to keep comparing them six volumes in.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
I don't believe that Key was directly comparing E7 to Eva. He only stated that, like Eva, E7 has focused heavily on character development.

Yes. episode 26 is definitely one of the best of the whole series. Actually, all of the episodes get better with repeated viewings. I've been following the show on AS, and when I then watch the DVDs, I realize just how much I missed during the first viewing. I love that! Very Happy
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quote
If anything I kept thinking about Ramba Rall and Hamon while watching this DVD. I also enjoyed the change of pace that the last episode has, since the series was getting a bit too dreary. My favorite shot is the one with the three mugs. I don't know why, but this shot resonates with me and reminds me of my own family where everyone had their signature mug. It also reminds me of the coffee cups in Rumbling Hearts. I actually didn't bother with the shirt and manga combo, since the first manga didn't catch my attention, and I really don't care for the Gecko State shirt with it's false aging included with the first volume. I hope the new shirt looks better. I wish that Bandai would go back to the shirts with character images on them like the volume 1 Robin or Hack shirt instead of the ones included with My-Hime and Eureka that only have text.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
Well, my first comment is "it's about time". Took so long for this release to hit the shelves that I had to rewatch the last volume just to catch up. Easily worth the wait though.

I do believe that the "mom" and "dad" bits seemed a little awkward, I understand the role it had in character development but it just felt awkward. I also noticed the odd art at times in the series where the character designs just didn't seem to be consistent with the rest, but I didn't notice it too often and really never noticed it until now so it's not a huge deal.

I'm still really loving this series though, the great artwork and use of color and the diverse cast of characters and good mix of action and story/character development has really made it a fun ride. Just wish they'd release it faster, looks like the next doesn't hut until early June.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kolibri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
How does the mom/dad thing go in Japanese? I was wondering about that when I was watching the dub, and my DVD hasn't arrived yet.
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Yeah, this volume was incredible. I watched episode 26 over and over again in the fansubs. It is no doubt that I will get this ASAP.

However, did you REALLY have to compare it to Evangelion again? This is not to say anything good or bad about EITHER series, but they are completely different in focus and in storytelling methods. There are some similarities, but not enough for people to keep comparing them six volumes in.

Actually, I can find some points which leads me to think that Eureka is almost like the opposite of Evangelion.

Eureka, who is spoiler[not human] ends up learning and acquiring human emotions. Rei, who is supposed to be human, almost, but never really develops emotions. And there's the 'immature brat growing up' - Shinji was annoying from beginning to the end, while Renton definitely gone through a lot and matured a lot from the beginning to the end of a series. And if you watch episode 50, I could almost feel that some scenes were meant to mirror End of Eva.

Eureka Seven's definitely one of the best, if not the best anime I've ever watched. 26's my second favorite episode though....my favorite goes to episode 48, because I like Anemone and Dominic more than Eureka and Renton...for those who know what I mean Smile
MNanimefreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
GREATEST SERIES EVER Very Happy !!!!!

No comparison to Eva, there is no contest. Read [as] boards, they compare all the time and there is none.

So well made, its breathtaking.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
MNanimefreak wrote:

No comparison to Eva, there is no contest. Read [as] boards, they compare all the time and there is none.

Eureka 7 is a good series, granted, but let's not go overboard. Even though it does better than most with its character development, at its best it still doesn't match the depth and complexity of Evangelion. (And yes, it was the character development - and only that - that I was comparing between the two. Despite Eureka initially giving Rei vibes, these are two entirely divergent series.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
episode 26 ends with the first closing theme, not the first opening theme.

all in all, this was probably the best arc in the series.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
And there's the 'immature brat growing up' - Shinji was annoying from beginning to the end, while Renton definitely gone through a lot and matured a lot from the beginning to the end of a series.

Well, it helps when you have people wanting and telling you to change, not to mention actually giving you support. spoiler[Renton sure as heck received all of that, while Shinji didn't really have anyone.]

Quote:
And if you watch episode 50, I could almost feel that some scenes were meant to mirror End of Eva.

Huh? I'm lost on that comparison.

MNanimefreak wrote:

Meh. This is why I place the E7 fanatics that always have this urge to put down NGE, regardless of whether or not the former is mentioned, on the same level for those NGE fanatics that want to say that E7 or whatever "unconventional" mecha anime that has come out in recent years is a rip-off.

v1cious wrote:
all in all, this was probably the best arc in the series.

Ray and Charles, you mean? Yeah, I'd have to agree on that. Episode twenty-three really hit home for me and is probably my favorite episode in this massive fifty episode series, just ahead of episode sixteen and seven. And we finally get to what the major theme (or at least as I see it) is for Eureka Seven in episode twenty-five. Whoo, took Dai Sato long enough.

And since everyone is gung-ho about comparisons, I find E7 a good anime to recommend in a heartbeat to one who has not become jaded about entertainment altogether, including anime obviously, though I don't hold it in high esteem like many on here. As far as other mecha anime goes, that "other one that BONES did" I believe to be far, vastly superior in content and execution.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
This volume kicked ass, I think this series is going to be my number one obssession to collect on DVD now that Mai-HiME is over Anime hyper

Despite the first five volumes being slow in giving facts away -though immensely entertaining- I knew all along they will all lead to something this good, the characters with the exception of Holland and that bitch Talho are begining to grow on me, especially Renton and Eureka, they are so cute together Anime catgrin

I didn't care much for the music from the begining, but the awesome music in this volume made my decision to get the soundtrack, I hope Bandai is going to include it as a bonus in one of their future releases instead of another stupid T-shirt.

Can't wait for volume seven.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
This volume kicked ass, I think this series is going to be my number one obssession to collect on DVD now that Mai-HiME is over Anime hyper

This year seems to be a slim one for Bandai Entertainment. I'm looking forward to the much talked about Haruhi (which I know nothing about) and also ordered Tide Line Blue (which I also know nothing about) during the recent TRSI Bandai sale. I couldn't find anything else coming out from BEI in the next few months since I'm already collecting Eureka, and Seed Destiny and am not a .Hack fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1