• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am Number Six

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Exactly! But do we get that sapphic goodness in the anime? No. No we don't. *sigh*
You totally do, though. I mean, unless your appetite won't be sated without them participating in a naked, oily threesome on a yacht and then they start removing each others fake limbs. The Major's seen with her "special friend" a few times in the series.

Getting into skimpy lingere and eating parfait seems like a big clue. I don't regularly do that with my besty.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Rutilcaper wrote:
Getting into skimpy lingere and eating parfait seems like a big clue. I don't regularly do that with my besty.

What?! You don't? Uhhhh, I mean. Yeah!! I don't either.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Pity about the GitS compilation, still love the series, need to pick up the GitS SSS on BD though.

Definitely going to pick up the second Utena series based on this review.

Heard the same about Number 6, pity they didn't keep to the initial story, and instead made this a bromance. Hate series that don't know what kind of show they are.

Be nice if they made a sequel to Ergo Proxy, detailing the return of the normal humans, and the interactions with the caretaking population.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Pity about the GitS compilation, still love the series, need to pick up the GitS SSS on BD though.

Yargh... I hate leaving things on the to-do list, but someone keeps letting the BVU folks rummage through the price lists, which makes re-buys ever so much harder than necessary.
Quote:
Man, why do utopias turn into dystopias so quickly?

Because some find that conflict=story/plot, and take a dim view on those they find lacking.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Rutilcaper wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Exactly! But do we get that sapphic goodness in the anime? No. No we don't. *sigh*
You totally do, though. I mean, unless your appetite won't be sated without them participating in a naked, oily threesome on a yacht and then they start removing each others fake limbs. The Major's seen with her "special friend" a few times in the series.

Did we watch the same series? No, seriously, did we? Sure the Major wore some rather daring and salacious outfits, and it could be simply a matter of lost memory (not that I'd ever forget a morsel that good), but I don't recall any naughty parfait eating.

Regardless, when you put the manga and anime back-to-back and you compare them, the anime is pretty tame, bordering on non-existant with regards to yuri goodness. And without reading the manga, I'd highly doubt your average viewer would know that's how she swung.

And if my "Besty" looked like the Major, I'd totally do that! ;3
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Be nice if they made a sequel to Ergo Proxy, detailing the return of the normal humans, and the interactions with the caretaking population.
I wholeheartedly concur. Ergo Proxy was shafted with only 23 episodes to tell its story. I'm also glad to see Ergo Proxy is still alive and well on ANN, not only here in the forums but in this week's Mike Toole column. Very Happy Very Happy

I thought No. 6 would be close to Ergo Proxy but it has missed by a mile, and that's being generous. What could have been an awesome dystopian tale set in a grim future has instead turned into a yaoi soap opera in the same setting. No. 6 has done one thing for me, and that is to further demonstrate "fangirl vision", to show a straight male such as myself what the average fangirl sees when spying 2 male characters in anime, regardless of how hetero they may be/seem. I never understood things like the yaoi obsession with death note, but between this and the infamous episode 2 of Genshiken (the hilarious gay fantasy episode) I'm beginning to understand. Laughing

Please let me know if No 6 gets better. I was letting the nostalgia for The Prisoner ("You ARE number six!") carry me through the tedious doldrums of the later episodes, but even that can only get me so far.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
I wholeheartedly concur. Ergo Proxy was shafted with only 23 episodes to tell its story.

I would LOVE to see more of the characters too, but I'd wager that Dai Sato was very pleased with his "Deus Ex Machina" ending.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
A Cat named Naruto... really?

Believe it!!!

bravetailor wrote:
I hate to sound like a broken record to people who frequent other anime forums, but I want to ask you Erin, what's your setup for watching this Utena release?

PS3 hooked up via HDMI cable to a 1080p Samsung HDTV.

Rutilcaper wrote:
...on a yacht...

1. If I had a cyborg body I would wear lingerie, too.
2. I think I'd rather eat parfaits alone on this yacht.

That said, I read the ending of the series as a love triangle. spoiler[I think the Major is in love with Kuze (childhood friends!!) and Batou is in love with the Major]. Anyway, in such a future couldn't anyone just switch into a cyborg body of another gender or just use freaky avatars on the Net?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
I wholeheartedly concur. Ergo Proxy was shafted with only 23 episodes to tell its story.

I would LOVE to see more of the characters too, but I'd wager that Dai Sato was very pleased with his "Deus Ex Machina" ending.
Was it really a deus ex machina? I didn't think so. I enjoyed it far more than GitS:SAC. The ending to Ergo Proxy was, I thought, far more logical than the ending to the GitS:SAC. The Proxies kicking ass and taking names was far more entertaining than spoiler[whining about corporations/governments being evil, specifically concerning healthcare], and the plot more intriguing, IMO. I'll take Will B. Goode over GitS:SAC's explanation about what a "Stand Alone Complex" is any day, but that's just me. Wink

erinfinnegan wrote:
Anyway, in such a future couldn't anyone just switch into a cyborg body of another gender or just use freaky avatars on the Net?
Did anyone else think of the cheesy movie Xchange when they read this?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I see someone else is a collector of the Kotobukiya bishoujo comic book figures.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Was it really a deus ex machina? I didn't think so.

The title of the final episode is "Deus Ex Machina" and proxies are compared to gods throughout the show. When the spoiler[ big, scary spaceships return to earth with who knows what kind of "humans", the final shot is of Vincent, with his glowing proxy eyes, smiling. Even though we don't see what happens next, Sato leaves us with the suggestion that Vincent, a "god", will make everything okay.]
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
I wholeheartedly concur. Ergo Proxy was shafted with only 23 episodes to tell its story. I'm also glad to see Ergo Proxy is still alive and well on ANN, not only here in the forums but in this week's Mike Toole column. Very Happy Very Happy

I thought No. 6 would be close to Ergo Proxy but it has missed by a mile, and that's being generous. What could have been an awesome dystopian tale set in a grim future has instead turned into a yaoi soap opera in the same setting. No. 6 has done one thing for me, and that is to further demonstrate "fangirl vision", to show a straight male such as myself what the average fangirl sees when spying 2 male characters in anime, regardless of how hetero they may be/seem. I never understood things like the yaoi obsession with death note, but between this and the infamous episode 2 of Genshiken (the hilarious gay fantasy episode) I'm beginning to understand. Laughing

Please let me know if No 6 gets better. I was letting the nostalgia for The Prisoner ("You ARE number six!") carry me through the tedious doldrums of the later episodes, but even that can only get me so far.

I actually really like what No. 6 has pulled off as far as genre-mashing. Chances are, if it had been straight up BL I probably would have watched it because I like BL. Had it been a straight-up dystopian-future scifi show I prolly would have watched it also because I like that sort of thing too. But combining the two... combining the two is actually quite smart. And unusual. You gotta give credit where it's due: we haven't seen this happen in anime before.
I also appreciate that even with the tantalizing almost-canon relationship between two boys, it's still more a scifi show than a BL one. A lot of BL fans prefer plot along with the romance, after all.

Granted, I won't argue that some parts of No. 6 have been boring and the ~magical~ garbage they just threw in makes me want to punch something, but I'm still interested to see where it all ends up.

I think it's funny, though, Echo_City, that your nostalgia for The Prisoner made you watch this show and then you got bored.. I can't even think of The Prisoner without yawning hugely. Talk about dull xD (Until the end, of course; it takes shockingly few renditions of "Dem Bones" before something becomes nails-on-a-chalkboard level irritating.)
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
that I started to wonder who Rat was based on in the author's real life.

On the knowledge of her or her editor that BL fanservice sells.

here-and-faraway wrote:
But aside from the distopia theme, the two really are different beasts.

Yes, the setting is very similar indeed, but the execution is completely different. Imho the main difference is that Ergo Proxy was made for an adult audience, while No. 6 is based on a young adult / teenage novel. And you can feel that. No. 6 is just very childish and simplistic at points ... and of course caters to the Fujoshi audience.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
What?! You don't? Uhhhh, I mean. Yeah!! I don't either.

Your avatar isn't convincing us of that. Anime hyper
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
In conclusion I think it's safe to say people shouldn't waste their time on compilation movies... I still don't know why they bother making them. The tv series was hands down one of the best shows of the past decade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3