• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2007 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
MAN!!! I'm gonna have to revamp some of this overview of what I thought. It's so efffing confusing. I got names mixed up in there and there role in this. Momoka isn't the maid, and the maid as a love interest was slightly out of place but may still hold, not to mention I completely forgot about "Mako-chan", man I have no place to try and prove I know what's going on.

I wasn't going to say anything...cause it looked like you knew what you were talking about...and I didn't really know what was going on either.

I will go ahead and add that which was not in the 2007 preview guide but is part of this season...can we do that...

Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny: Well this is certainly bloodier then the first season, I don't recall anyone getting ripped in two in the last season. Twisted Evil I am really liking it so far, the story is being excuted nicly and I love the characters...no not just the female ones. Wink Though Kan-u...damn Razz But yes the new characters bring alot of action into the fold. I anticipate every episode and every time I download it I make a quick chuckle of joy...seriously I don't but it is very enjoyable. Very Happy

Ya, I was thinking and thinking about it and that's what I came up with, but I got some names messed up and their roles changed slightly in ep.3 so.....I can't say.

I will agree with you on Ikki Tousen. I'm loving this one so far, more than the last anyway, and I'm loving this, all but the goth loli girl in episode 5. Introduced, winning, oneshotted, winning again, then beat down....I was disappointed in that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Think of it as a wine tasting, minus the pleasant buzzed feeling and free liquor.

I love that line. It so describes this column perfectly, and thanks goes to all of the contributers.

I'll jump on the bandwagon promoting Claymore. I watched the first episode and it's got the fantasy world down pact - I can't wait to watch more. Smile
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Here are the ones I've seen:

Darker than BLACK: Probably my favorite out of the season, since I love these type of mystery/action type of shows. The animation was great, and I wanted more after it was done. Although some people say Hei is bland, I personally like him and find him interesting.

Seirei no Moribito: I initially watched it to satisfy my L'Arc obsession, but it was a great series on it's own. The animation was breath taking. I'm curious how this show will turn out.

Claymore: I had fun watching this show, and I'm curious about Clare's background. I'm happy that people have said it gets better.

Hayate no Gotoku!: A good comedy anime with a lot of references to other animes. I noticed I watching so many action shows. I still need more comedy. haha
wings of words

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
What's wrong with Lucky Star is that it's really targeted toward Japanese people. All the jokes are for a Japanese sense of humor, and I doubt anyone outside of Japan will really get the whole ED Karaoke. (until episode 3, with an FMP song)
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
PaladinBlue wrote:
Oh, and the interval is ten years, not two.

I think he was talking about time between airings (i.e. A's was in 2005 strikers is 2007).

omar235 wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
MAN!!! I'm gonna have to revamp some of this overview of what I thought. It's so efffing confusing. I got names mixed up in there and there role in this. Momoka isn't the maid, and the maid as a love interest was slightly out of place but may still hold, not to mention I completely forgot about "Mako-chan", man I have no place to try and prove I know what's going on.

I wasn't going to say anything...cause it looked like you knew what you were talking about...and I didn't really know what was going on either.

I will go ahead and add that which was not in the 2007 preview guide but is part of this season...can we do that...

Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny: Well this is certainly bloodier then the first season, I don't recall anyone getting ripped in two in the last season. Twisted Evil I am really liking it so far, the story is being excuted nicly and I love the characters...no not just the female ones. Wink Though Kan-u...damn Razz But yes the new characters bring alot of action into the fold. I anticipate every episode and every time I download it I make a quick chuckle of joy...seriously I don't but it is very enjoyable. Very Happy

it's probably missing from the review since aside from a bump to the visuals (especially the ED ;D ) there isn't much new to the series. Whereas people can argue about Nanoha being a different, Ikkitousen ...

Well girls fighting and having their clothing explode is the same no matter how many different shirts they blow up.

It's fun to watch for the right crowd (which I'll admit I'm in), but it's not like its changed enough to merit mentioning.

Altho' I have to admit I'm sick of Gakshu getting thrashed by tiny girls. it's somethign that comes with the show .. but you know... He's got arms like tree trunks and probably eats steroid for breakfast.

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
I will agree with you on Ikki Tousen. I'm loving this one so far, more than the last anyway, and I'm loving this, all but the goth loli girl in episode 5. Introduced, winning, oneshotted, winning again, then beat down....I was disappointed in that.

Eh? I loved seeing her get own'd after being so arrogant while throwing around all that fanatical trash talk. There have always been oneshot characters in this series tho' It's just the nature of things when they have to pit non-,main characters against main characters (what with the whole toushi ranking system).
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
PaladinBlue wrote:

Then you have the fact that StrikerS had very little to do with the heroines from A's for the first episode, and has really relegated them to the senpai position up to now in favour of starring Subaru, Tiana, Carol, and Elio as the new leads.

Oh, and the interval is ten years, not two.

First of all I was talking about airing interval, not in-anime time, and it was quite obvious from my post.
AS for the rest, well that's actually not true giving the amount of screen time the "old" characters get, something that is reinforced by later episodes.
Neuroretardant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
The only thing I have to add to the discussion is that if you're following Gurren-Lagann in real-time as the episodes come out each week, do yourself a favor and pretend that Episode 4 never existed. Move directly from episode 3 to 5: I repeat, directly from 3 to 5. I won't really delve too much into the continuity issues (plot, character mindset), mouths moving with no sound, questionable animation, bad jokes, etc, but if this image is any cause for concern to you, I would strongly recommend taking a pass on ep4.

The series itself, though, is proving to be fairly entertaining so far.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the Preview Guide, ANN! I found it very useful. There are so many shows that look interesting! And by the way, I agree that the previews, whether positive or negative, are all generally good enough to provide enough information to help readers make their own decision.

Anime on the list that I will likely be checking out:

Claymore - From what I've seen, I don't like the character designs so much, but for some reason (maybe it's that screenshot in the preview) I'm drawn to the action.

Hayate the Combat Butler - Maybe. I like the basic setup and the art looks nice. I just hope the humour isn't too maniacal.

Heroic Age - Won over by the art. Or at least, the screenshot provided coupled with the fact that Hisashi Hirai is the character designer. Also, the story sounds like it could turn out to be exciting.

Idolmaster Xenoglossia - Pretty girls with pretty voices (and Akira Ishida to boot). It might turn out to be a big bore, but I'm going to give it a chance nonetheless.

Kamichama Karin - I'm just going to have a quick peek at it. Promise. (If only the official site had better pictures of the characters – my personal database loves 50x50 portraits!)

Lucky Star - Maybe. Just maybe.

Romeo × Juliet - I can't wait to check out this one. I never was too fervent a fan of the play itself, but I've always wondered what it would be like in anime. The art looks great, the character tweaks sound interesting and the cast looks promising. Count me in.

Last edited by Ai no Kareshi on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Claymore - From what I've seen, I don't like the character designs so much, but for some reason (maybe it's that screenshot in the preview) I'm drawn to the action.

Nah. The character designs can get pretty fugly-- but they're a lot more polished than the manga where they have the tendency to make some people look like they have Down Syndrome.

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Idolmaster Xenoglossia - Pretty girls with pretty voices (and Akira Ishida to boot). It might turn out to be a big bore, but I'm going to give it a chance nonetheless.

I'd go with Gigantic formula over it-- the animation is better, the mecha designs more interesting, and the G gundam premise (especially with the UN involved Anime hyper) is more interesting than the idol school thing. That and as mentioned the animation is done by the people that did Kamichu! so it looks great (altho' some of the lines aroudn the eyes irk me).

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Hayate the Combat Butler - Maybe. I like the basic setup and the art looks nice. I just hope the humour isn't too maniacal.

The real problem is that some of the humor is has random references to anime.

I picked up on some One Piece, Black Lagoon, and NGE references in earlier episodes. But in episode 04 I couldn't figure out what they were parodying (Fist of the North Star or saint seiya I think, but I'm probably wrong).
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
I'd go with Gigantic formula over it-- the animation is better, the mecha designs more interesting, and the G gundam premise (especially with the UN involved Anime hyper) is more interesting than the idol school thing. That and as mentioned the animation is done by the people that did Kamichu! so it looks great (altho' some of the lines aroudn the eyes irk me).

Oh, but the idol school thing is part of the attraction for me. I'm not exactly a mecha junkie, you see.

teferi wrote:
The real problem is that some of the humor is has random references to anime.

That's what I was afraid of. I've watched anime before that parody others, and I usually end up feeling completely lost. I guess I'll put Hayate at the bottom of my wish list, then.

And, wait… you don't happen to be the teferi from Baka Neko Community, do you? Shocked
Zilveari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
No Nanoha makes Zilveari a saaaaaad paaaanda.

Other than that, looks like a subpar season. Thank god I bought FF12 and Ar Tonelico to get me through.
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh I know why it wan't on there teferi Wink Very Happy Mostly because it was a second season, and it only presented the same theme as the first one...I mean it is to say there isn't much to say about it that wasn't said for the last season.
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Hehehe Mamoru certainly is the One True King. Wink

My friend, that sweet voiced angel of a boy is the only reason I'm thinking of watching this anime Cool If it's too terrible, I can always just close my eyes...

So far I've seen Claymore and Darker than BLACK and I'm liking both, with the latter one winning by a thin margin right now... but I've voiced my opinions in the appropriate threads. I have Romeo x Juliet waiting for me and I do intend to watch it... I have a feeling this one will be one of those titles that suffers fansubbed, Gonzo means it needs to be DVD quality to get the full audiovisual experience. And I have no doubt it'll be licensed sooner rather than later.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I personally think this season looks fairly decent. There are a lot of series I want to check out and follow.

Lucky Star: I am in love with it opening, both the song and animation. I really do not understand these attacks on it animation being bad, as it is defenatly not true. While it may not be Kanon, Air, or Haruhi, it is still better then it should be for a 4-koma anime. It's animation flows incredibally well when it is not being still. As for the humor, I can see where many would dislike it. It is not anything incredibally laugh out loud like Pani Poni Dash, but mostly slice-of-life, which doesn't nessasary require humor. Lucky Star doesn't stand out as a humoress show, but more of a moe fix show. I found the show cute, but I don't think I will be watching this soley for its humor (except for Lucky Channel).

Kamichama Karin:
Quote:

I have a love-hate relationship with Koge-Donbo. I love her cuter-than-cute character designs and story ideas. I hate when she puts those story ideas into practice, because they all end up being average to terrible. And Kamichama Karin is very, very average. The entire opening scene, for example, is so over the top with frilly shoujo-fantasy goop that it's hard to tell if they're being funny or being dead serious. ("Power of Neptune!" "Power of Uranus!")

I really would not put the blame soley on Koge Donbo for the mess, but more into the hands of the anime's producers. That scene was related to "Kamichama Karin Chu", which doesn't happen until later in the story, and of course the anime has to make the scene more "maho shoujo" buy giving them transformation-type scenes. It really is an out of place moment for the series that even fans of the manga didn't understand or care for.

Being a huge fan of the manga however, I will be watching this series. It certainly isn't as great as the manga, but it is still fun and cute, just as it should be. At first I hated the Ali Project opening, but by episode three I have warmed up to it, and actually kind of like it now. It may not be ground-breaking mahou shoujo classic, but it is a good romp if your into that type of genre.

El Calador de la Bruja: I watched the first episode I am actually liking this so far. It may not be Noir or Madlax, but I actually like it more. Noir bore since the first episode, with it's saving grace being Chloe and a few episodes. Madlax wasn't as fortunate for me, since I could not find a saving grace. El Calzador however, being more light and having characters that I find particularly interesting, has managed to make me want to continue it.

Hayate the Combat Butler: I like the manga, and the anime is just a appealling to me so far. This is defenitly a keeper for me.

RomeoxJuliet: This is the one Shakesphear story that I know by heart and even really like. The first episode was a good enough deviation from the origional while also being faithful to it. So far I am greatly liking its take on the story, so I will be following this no doubt. Plus the animation is just great.

Guren Lagann: I have a thing for Gainax anime, so Gurren Lagann is right up my alley. So far I really like a characters. Unorigional be damned, I don't mind it as long as it makes up for it in some sort of way. So far Gurren Lagann has made up for that in energy and animation. I really like where this show is going, and I plan to stick with it.

As for the series I haven't seen yet but want to check out, I would really like to see Darker then Black, Claymore, Heroic Age, and Lovely Complex.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Neverwhere wrote:
Hehehe Mamoru certainly is the One True King. Wink

My friend, that sweet voiced angel of a boy is the only reason I'm thinking of watching this anime Cool If it's too terrible, I can always just close my eyes...

*laughs* Same here. I'm fairly interested in the whole 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms' twist and the seiyuu involved are of course making it more appealing. Even if it probably is the silliest sort of garbage. Bweee. Very Happy

You like Claymore too? Hmmm. I wasn't going to watch this but now it seems to be fairly popular among People With Good Taste so I might watch an episode or two. Smile

...I still can't get over the fact that the same person who voices such sweet seduction in anime once sang onstage with a tennis racket as a dancing partner. While wearing a towel on his head. *laughs*
Of course, it makes more sense when you know that in real life Mamoru is a total SPAZ. Hehehehehehe. Mr. Green
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8