• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Writer Urobuchi Compares Plot to Al-Qaeda

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
Fine! I'm wrong in my personal opinion on the show and everyone's right. Can we just move on please? I don't need to be showered with example after example, I get the point.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
[/img]
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Huh, well I found a fuller translation of the original interview, courtesy of symbv of the EvaGeeks forum.

Quote:

"Someone's justice is someone's evil"

spoiler[
Asahi: Madoka Magica is an original story. Where did the idea come from?

Urobuchi: I received a request to write a sanguinary story where mahou shoujo appear and then drop out one by one. I turned my attention to the aspects in conventional “mahou shoujo anime” that do not look right or are overlooked. I thought that when [someone] acquired superhuman power and thus became an existence that was removed from the world, contradictions and trade-offs would be generated.

Asahi: Mahou Shoujo who were full of hope working to save people became tormented with hatred and jealousy before long, and they turned into the witches, their enemies. The change from good to evil made a strong impression.]

Urobuchi: For example, Al-Qaeda brought down the Twin Towers in order to fulfill their own sense of justice. Justice for some people is evil for some. Good intentions, kindness, and hope will not necessarily make people happy.

spoiler[Asahi: At the climax of the anime, a bunch of witches merged and brought catastrophe onto the city. And even in real life society, could the negative emotions of human be the precise thing that could destroy this world?

Urobuchi: Perhaps we can say “a curse calls for another curse” – Hatreds form a chain. And I think that is the most terrifying. One can talk about positive words like happiness, victory, glory only after he dumped anything that stands in contrast to them to the trash bin. But even when stenches emerged from there and it got infested with maggots, he still pretended he did not see that and attempted to illuminate the whole world in bright lights. Countries such as America push this kind of negative management towards the third world while showing themselves as being prosperous.]

spoiler[Asahi: Facing the catastrophe, one of the characters in the cast kept starting over the time in an attempt to prevent it. Her action is so tragically heroic. This kind of “time loop genre” technique has become a prominent way of expression in the 2000s.

Urobuchi: I think that is a convenient way to express the feeling of entrapment. The “King of Terror” of 1999 did not end the world. During the 80s and 90s, there was the impatience and festival mood regarding a possible end of the world and people were able to share an apocalyptic image like nuclear war.

Asahi: But the world kept going.

Urobuchi: Although the end did not come, situation does not necessarily turn for the better. The mood is now one where the days in which some sort of troubles keep tormenting [people] seem to be going to last forever. ]

spoiler[Asahi: So there is no absolute justice nor absolute termination. In the anime, there is a scene in which one of the mahou shoujo, who was being philosophical, said “if we pray for hope, there will be a same amount of despair scattered around. The balance in the world is obtained by both canceling each other out.”

Urobuchi: If one chases after hope, despair will always follow. And one must take this as the precondition. Just like you must solidify the oil and throw it away when you make tempura, there is no way you can produce only nice things without producing any waste.]

Asahi: Nuclear power was supposedly established with the wish for life of abundance but now we have nuclear radiation being scattered around. It brings to mind the aphorism “Hope that is not in keeping with reason brings about distortion” from the dialogues.

Urobuchi: Now that it is power conservation, power conservation, but it would have been better if some thoughts had gone to [creating] a world that does not need to have dangerous things made. Do we want the shiny Christmas illumination after full consideration of the risk of radioactive contamination?

Asahi: But then people cannot live without hoping for something....

Urobuchi: Let me go back to the topic of Al-Qaeda. There is no doubt that they have the thought of wanting to righteously guide the world. spoiler[Madoka, the protagonist, made a certain decision at the end, and that was because she did not want to negate what the many mahou shoujo had wished for themselves.]

I really can't make sense of the connection between that last statement on Al-Quaeda and the following spoiler-tagged sentence about Madoka, though. It feels like there's a sentence missing in that last bit... does anyone care to make the connection for me? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
I'm not really sure, either, actually. My best guess is that he's talking about respecting others' efforts simply on the merit that they're doing what they believe is for the best? As in, he's saying he doesn't agree with AQ's methods, but at some level he still respects what he sees as their desire to better their world... or something?

spoiler[Twice, Madoka made it obvious (once when making her wish, once when talking to Sayaka) that even if she didn't necessarily agree with everything all the magical girls have ever done (methods), she respected their efforts and their attempts to create a better tomorrow (means), for themselves or others.] Perhaps that's what he's getting at.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks veers, that does make a bit more sense to me now that you've phrased it like that.... I kept going over the two sentences in my head over and over, and there was no logical connection that I could make between them.

Even so, though, the comparison between respecting magical girls' intentions and respecting Al-Quaeda's intentions makes his worldview seem... well... wishy-washier than it probably actually is. Razz I mean, that's about the same as respecting the intentions of the Nazis to create a purer world, even though that translated into the genocide of millions of Jews and other non-Aryans. That line of thinking is off-kilter, yo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that Mr. Urobuchi is stupid for saying something like that. Al-Qaeda is a terrorist organization that murdered three thousand Americans because we don't worship the same god they do. They and others like them believe that Americans must forced to practice the same religion that they do. I found his remarks stupid and foolish and that Mr. Urobuchi should be called on them.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I mean, that's about the same as respecting the intentions of the Nazis to create a purer world, even though that translated into the genocide of millions of Jews and other non-Aryans. That line of thinking is off-kilter, yo.
Honestly, it's kind of hard to tell... it's a translation of a response that really doesn't seem to answer the question, so it's hard to tell. I'm not saying I agree with him, if that's what he really means, or that it was a wise parallel to draw; I think it a rather pretentious thing to say, at face value and without a better explanation (which we're lacking), anyway. On the other hand, it kind of fits with the "grey" message that is really central to Madoka's story.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I think that Mr. Urobuchi is stupid for saying something like that. Al-Qaeda is a terrorist organization that murdered three thousand Americans because we don't worship the same god they do. They and others like them believe that Americans must forced to practice the same religion that they do. I found his remarks stupid and foolish and that Mr. Urobuchi should be called on them.

man you must've been drinking the neocon coolaid...
"don't worship the same god?" uh, hello? It's the same damn Abrahamic God. The same Moses and even the same damn Jesus. Explicitly mentioned in their religion. (the split in Abrahamic history really comes between Ishmael vs Isaac)

The whole idea of sending planes into buildings in America in order to convert Americans over to Islam is just.... I don't know what to say

Not that I agree with Islam at all (nor Christianity, Judaism, or whatever) and yes there are atrocities but like ALL of them from ANY religion and ANY strongly held belief or need over others--the point he's trying to make--is that the perpetrators never see it the same way. He's not trying to apologize. He's trying making a detached, unbiased observation, when tasked with having mahou shoujos dropping off (he could've gone for the much simpler, morally black and white, evil bad guy kills girls), decided to subvert the whole genre, sort of like a parable but presenting a mirror against common themes e.g. "making the world a better place", for some introspection, by questioning righteousness and rightness, where the two are different depending on perspective. Imagine if aliens without any of our own biases watched us throughout history, they'd probably have similar observations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3