• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toon Disney Licenses 5th Digimon Series for Fall 2007

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eruanna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
Digimon: Data Squad is the most terrible name for this series ever Anime hyper
Anyways, its actually somewhat suprising to me that they are even touching this show. Im really hoping for not many changes, but judging from what they edited out in the previous seasons, this show is looking at getting hacked up fairly badly.
Lets see, theres
A) Alot more fanservice, which was completly cut out from the english versions of the other seasons.
B) Alot of religious referances, which also faced heavy cutting in the earlier seasons, but in the case of this season are ALOT more important to the plot.
C) And lastly, the earlier seasons cut out any violence demonstrated by the children, but this one has a main character whos main theology in life is "If I punch it, things will work out!" He is the most violent character a Digimon series has ever seen, and theres no way they can cut that out without doing MAJOR damage.

Well, Ill be interested to see how they handle it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
WHOOOO HOOO!!

As a huge digimon fan I've been waiting to see this series for quiet some time! I'm looking forward to it! I'll be doing my best to support on TV, in hopes of DVD releases, in hopes of the previous seasons getting DVD releases.

Must tell everyone I know Very Happy
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:

True, but keep in mind it's been around four years since there's been a new Digimon series in the US, standards have changed a bit since then. Also it's not Saban that will be doing the edits this time around so there's nothing to really base the edits on. And you're wrong about religion being heavily edited out of the previous series, don't forget about all of the angel Digimon that played key roles throughout the series and definitely don't forget about season ones explanation of 666 and the sign of the beast, that was pretty heavy stuff for any 90s cartoon. I think Toon Disney is going to give us some surprises, too bad TWC doesn't carry it in my area...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eruanna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Eruanna wrote:

True, but keep in mind it's been around four years since there's been a new Digimon series in the US, standards have changed a bit since then. Also it's not Saban that will be doing the edits this time around so there's nothing to really base the edits on. And you're wrong about religion being heavily edited out of the previous series, don't forget about all of the angel Digimon that played key roles throughout the series and definitely don't forget about season ones explanation of 666 and the sign of the beast, that was pretty heavy stuff for any 90s cartoon. I think Toon Disney is going to give us some surprises, too bad TWC doesn't carry it in my area...

Emerje

A few angel Digimon,. yes, but this one has a Digital World god, and the main character is his son. And they actually refer to him as the messiah of the Digimon in some places. This feels alot more substantial to me.

Anyways, I had forgotton that they changed liscensors. Your right! Perhapes Digimons Savers future isnt as bleak as I thought.
...Oh wait. DATA SQUAD. Anime cry Just the fact that they are calling it this gives me doubts. But if thats all they change, Ill be happy.

And yes, I AM hoping for DVD releases that will hopefully domino into DVD releases of the previous seasons.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Why does Di$ney [GET IT, I PUT A DOLLAR SIGN WHERE THE S IS TO INDICATE THAT DISNEY MAKES A LOT OF MONEY, REVERE MY SCATHING ORIGINAL WIT] keep picking up seasons of shows which are no longer popular? Do they really need something to fill their schedules that badly, or do they actually believe they can make money from a dead franchise?
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, now this is interesting, I knew that sooner or later it would get licensed.

also, Saban no longer exist anymore, Disney bought out all rights to Saban right in the middle of the 3rd Season of Digimon which now became sensation animation,which took over for the dub of Frontier.

I highly doubt Savers will get butchered like Seasons 1 and 2 did,but I just hope they don't add in alot of corny jokes and puns in there. I expect Savers to get the Tamers treatment. One episode of Digimon adventure 1 had a scene cut out with Myotismon beating Gatomon to death with his whip.

Hoever despite some of the edits that saban did in seasons 1 and 2,but in times, they actually mention topics about death spoiler[like in season 2 when Ken found out his brohter Sam was killed being runned over by a car,that was sad.]

as for Tamers(Season 3),dued to many Staff members of Evangelion and Serial Experiments Lain working on that season,it got a much better treatment that the first 2 seasons dued to it's darker tone. I expect Savers to go the Tamers route.

so yeah, ever since Saban became sensation animation,they've lightend up on Toning down the violence,Hell, they even showedspoiler[that gruesome death of Leomon getting pierced in the chest by Beezlemon in Tamers and they even letted him threaten Takato with his guns (things that a 4Kids dub refuse to show), so I doubt they'll try to down down Masaru in Savers.]

Last edited by ChronoBall X on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Why does Di$ney keep picking up seasons of shows which are no longer popular? Do they really need something to fill their schedules that badly, or do they actually believe they can make money from a dead franchise?

Perhaps they see the 'mon' at the end are hoping to make this their own little pokemon. And it's not like Disney has anything better on their airwaves other then Power Rangers which is still doing alright.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I am both excited and depressed at the same time. That being I don't have Toon Disney and know no one who does. *hopes for a dvd release* I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Digimon: Data Squad is the most terrible name for this series ever Anime hyper
Anyways, its actually somewhat suprising to me that they are even touching this show. Im really hoping for not many changes, but judging from what they edited out in the previous seasons, this show is looking at getting hacked up fairly badly.
Lets see, theres
A) Alot more fanservice, which was completly cut out from the english versions of the other seasons.
B) Alot of religious referances, which also faced heavy cutting in the earlier seasons, but in the case of this season are ALOT more important to the plot.
C) And lastly, the earlier seasons cut out any violence demonstrated by the children, but this one has a main character whos main theology in life is "If I punch it, things will work out!" He is the most violent character a Digimon series has ever seen, and theres no way they can cut that out without doing MAJOR damage.

Let me clarify this for you. Toon Disney has only luicensed the broadcasting rights. They don't actually have the dubbing rights. Toei Animation is doing the dubbing at Studiopolis and then will send the episodes to Toon Disney to air. Any editing that's done will be by Toei, not Toon Disney.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm excited for this one. I love seasons 1-3 (Tamers was incredible) and 4 was weak. Savers has boring, generic designs and doesn't look so interesting. But I shouldn't judge it just yet, I'll make sure to see Savers when it comes out (Yay! I actually have Toon Disney!).
Gage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I lost interest in the Digmion series back when the third season began. Even though it may sound weird, I might try to catch this series at the BEGINNING rather than the middle of the first Season.

Hopefully this will be the last in the series - I'm starting to be reminded of the whole Mario Party series, just keeps going and going and going.... I mean, people want something different; just hope there may be a nice plot twist to this series. Something fresh!

Suggestions?
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
YES YES YES! YES YES YES!

but...still they might make it suck. but im glad digimon has made a return to american tv. i love it and still watch the repeats.

Also does anyone know how well its does on toon disney. it has to do well to have whole marathons and them showing it all the time 4 times daily and them dubbing the remaining unreleased movies.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, I really hope they release it on DVD... or any of the previous seasons. I'd love to have those!

As long as it gets promoted or I'm reminded AND it has a consistant airing schedule, I'll definitely try to catch this season on Toon Disney. The biggest problem I have with Toon Disney is that I never know when things are coming on... the few times I tried to search their website for a schedule was extremely hard and not worth it. I don't know if they've upgraded it since though, as it has been awhile since I tried.
LxTrix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
Unfortunately, I lost interest in the Digmion series back when the third season began. Even though it may sound weird, I might try to catch this series at the BEGINNING rather than the middle of the first Season.

Hopefully this will be the last in the series - I'm starting to be reminded of the whole Mario Party series, just keeps going and going and going.... I mean, people want something different; just hope there may be a nice plot twist to this series. Something fresh!

Suggestions?

Why can't you people be happy for good news? Any true Digimon fan is happy. I liked seasons 1-3. 4 sucked, even though i watched some of it. For what six years, the US has had no new Digimon. If you want to complain about something, complain about pokemon. I must admit i like the little Jetix block of programing. It works nicely. Reminds me of what Fox Kids used to be. Kids used to get up early on Saturday mornings just to watch their favorites. I'm glad there may be a new generation of kids who will get to experience Digimon.

\Toei has this thing where they favor certainn projects and Disney isn't all too great about releasing dvds for tv series. We can only hope though. I remember when thousands of digimon fans signed an online petition to get Digimon back and look they got it. I'd love to own the first three seasons. I watched some of Digimon Savers and it did Digimon justice and who knowxs maybe it will make people forget about the shame of kids turning into digimon season 4 brought.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
Gage wrote:

Suggestions?

Why can't you people be happy for good news? Any true Digimon fan is happy. I liked seasons 1-3. 4 sucked, even though i watched some of it. For what six years, the US has had no new Digimon. If you want to complain about something, complain about pokemon. I must admit i like the little Jetix block of programing. It works nicely. Reminds me of what Fox Kids used to be. Kids used to get up early on Saturday mornings just to watch their favorites. I'm glad there may be a new generation of kids who will get to experience Digimon.

\Toei has this thing where they favor certainn projects and Disney isn't all too great about releasing dvds for tv series. We can only hope though. I remember when thousands of digimon fans signed an online petition to get Digimon back and look they got it. I'd love to own the first three seasons. I watched some of Digimon Savers and it did Digimon justice and who knowxs maybe it will make people forget about the shame of kids turning into digimon season 4 brought.

I defentilly agree with LxTrix here, most of you people are consufusing yourselves of Digimon with Pokemon, Digimon is indeed underated here in the U.S, seriously people, Compared to the overated hyped Pokemon which has been rediculously been going on for a good 10 years of 10 seasons, Digimon does'nt really have that much seasons. and many Digimon fans are happy to finnay see a New series in the U.S after a 3 year Hiatus of endless repeats of Seasona 1-4.

and not to mention that Digimon is far superior to Pokemon which each season being fresh new with orginal ideas with an actual darker story,character development,drama,better humor which kept it from turning into another Pokemon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2