• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Official Slam Dunk Uniforms for Sale in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strephon

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
To offer a slight correction, Viz is already releasing the SD manga in serialized form in Shonen Jump; September is the release date for the first collection.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. One hundred bucks for a fake team's jersey? How stupid does Toei think people are over there? I'm sure you can make one yourself for at least a fraction of that price. Anyway, at least it's not panties for once...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
So...if I put on these uniforms, I can be a genius basketman too? Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ugh. One hundred bucks for a fake team's jersey? How stupid does Toei think people are over there? I'm sure you can make one yourself for at least a fraction of that price. Anyway, at least it's not panties for once...

Stupid enough to pay $40-50 for 1-2 episodes of an anime series on DVD...which is the exact market that Toei is aiming these jerseys at.
subaru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Geeee........... took the Japanese long enough to release something like this......... I've seen unofficial ones 10 years ago in Hong Kong....... and they looked good enough to me.
domino

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

$100 is cheap for a costume there. I've also seen Evangelion plugsuits with several thousand dollar price tags...
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Dude, it's made for hardcore collectors. I do agree that price is awfully high. Even after considering the clothing cost and extreme quantity control in Japan, it's still too much. I would pay about $50 for it. There are other factors to consider. You think some mom & pop sports uniform makers in Japan would take a chance to mass produce copyrighted fictional uniforms? How are they going to market them without incurring lawsuits? Also how can you make a uniform without looking tacky? Even here, those regular athletic uniforms has to be ordered in quantity. Anyway... those custom, limited quantity clothing are expensive because of the small market demand.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
It just occurred to me that there's something else that's kind of silly about complaining about this price. Think about how much authentic sports jerseys go for actual players on actual teams here. $100 is about par for the course. Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun: Yes, but those are real teams.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yes, but there are probably a lot of people far more interested in characters from the series than actual athletes. There's no accounting for taste, but there you have it. Razz
superdeformed

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Yes, but there are probably a lot of people far more interested in characters from the series than actual athletes. There's no accounting for taste, but there you have it. Razz

Did you just compare the Niche market of Anime, no wait a single a series of Anime to the mainstream multi-billion dollar worldwide market of the NBA? China's fanbase for Yao Ming, alone, rivals the entire population of Japan.

What would be really nice would be maybe finishing Slam Dunk itself.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Who said anything about comparing numbers? I simply meant that there are people out there who would much rather pay $100 for the jersey of a fictional character than $100 for the jersey of a real athlete. And that's exactly the audience that these things are aimed at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1