• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Limited Editions for Black Lagoon and Haruhi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the quick response. I pre-ordered volumes 1-3 of Black Lagoon for $17.54 during the last Geneon TRSI sale, and wish I had ordered the limited editions during the sale for a tad more instead, The Black Lagoon LE are still far enough out that I can order them for their pre-order price, although it isn't as cheap as the Geneon sale. I didn't realize that the LE Black Lagoon had a DTS mix along with a bonus DVD. Thank you for the heads up Tony, I will be sure to preorder these especially since the series is packed onto three discs. I'm looking forward to the bonus discs if they are like the bonus discs on the Hellsing releases. I always enjoy the titles listed on the spines of the Geneon tins. If only Bandai Visual would follw Geneon's lead and release their titles in two different price points. Then again Geneon has twice the episode count, an English dub and better extras for the same price as a BVE release.

Fortunately only the first volume of Haruhi at $16.19 was available during the Bandai TRSI sale. The LE of volume one is currently only 10% off and is almost sold out. Bandai's trinkets that are included with Scrapped Princess, .Hack and GITS seem rather silly and expensive. The GITS SAC extras got rather ridiculous with the mousepad, playing cards, ID cards, cheap toys, etc. I really want mini square bound books and bonus discs with my LE, much like the gorgeous Patlabor LE. The difference between my pre-order price and the current $58.48 price tag seems like a big leap. Do the bonus discs only include the same episodes in a different order? It seems as though the standard editions also have the commercials, making of, and ASOS Brigade extras. I hope I don't regret passing this one up, but the price difference is a bit high for a series that (what little I know about it) hasn't grabbed my attention. Selling out a month before release would indicate that this will be really hard to find and even might be worth a minor fortune in a couple of years.

DTS has twice the sampling rate as DD which is more compressed. The audio quality of the two are fairly close, and isn't as big of a difference as the the highly compressed MP3 audio or the uncompressed PCM tracks. For me the 5.1 (or the handful of 6.1 DVDs) mix over a 2.0 mix is a much bigger difference (one that anyone can notice immediately) than the quality improvement between DD and DTS which is hard to notice, even on an amazing system. My Laser Disc DVD combo from the 90s also predates DTS, although most newer DVD players have this feature.

The 5.1 digital tracks can be carried by either optical or digital coax cable. The digital coax cables resemble composite, subwoofer, and component cables and carries all of the audio information digitally across one cable. My receiver only has 3 optical inputs, so I actually use both digital cables types. Fortunately my video processor adds another 4 digital ins not counting audio over the HDMI cables so lack of inputs are (finally) no longer a problem.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Honestly, I'm a bit annoyed with the Haruhi LEs right now... I love LEs, but I can't say I'm looking forward to paying $60 a pop for the show. I'd rather lose some of the extras (I'll never use that armband!) and get a lower price... $40-$45 each would be lovely. Very Happy

Well, if you pre-order the LEs at TRSI, you'll paying about $48 or a bit less if you have the GA. I re-pre-ordered the first volume at the Bandai sale and got it for about $37. I'm going to pre-order the second LE next week with whatever sale TRSI has.

I also pre-ordered the Black Lagoon LE and the next two volumes. I think the steelcases look nice and saving shelfspace is always a plus. As far as I know, the LE of the second volume is just adding in dog tags and there's no way I'm paying extra for just that especially since I got the RE with the Geneon sale.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
You guys do know that there are others sites where you can pre-order these titles, right? My two favorite sites outside of TRSI's coupon/Got Anime deals are Deep Discount and DVD Pacific.

I pre-ordered my BL LE Vol.1 at DD for about $27 and Haruhi from DVDPac for about $37. Of course the shipping from DVDPac will ultimately bring it to around $42, but it's still not bad if you consider just how many pre-orders TRSI will be able to fill since they were the first site to start taking them.

For those of you still curious to preorder the first LE sets of BL and Haruhi, here are some links:

Deep Discount
Black Lagoon LE Vol.1 = $26.83 + FREE shipping
Haruhi LE Vol.1 = $39.69 + FREE shipping

DVD Pacific
Black Lagoon LE Vol.1 = $24.82 + shipping
Haruhi LE Vol.1 = $36.67 + shipping

The only thing about DVDPac to warn you of is that they've recently cheated some of their shipping. It used to be a rate of disc count at $0.99 plus $0.50 per additional disc. But now they count all sorts of other things within the case. Like when I pre-ordered .hack//Roots they charged me $3.94 for Media Mail shipping and listed the weight as "5 items:" the dvd, the artbox, the soundtrack, the t-shirt, and the video game demo. They'll probably charge in the range of 6-7 "items" for Haruhi, so be aware of that as well if you're going to pre-order from them.

Currently, their standard Media Mail shipping is $1.58 plus $0.59 for every additional "item" or DVD in a set, so you do the math.

But worst of all they DO charge you for separate shipments even if they're in the same order. So if you order both BL and Haruhi from them, they'll charge you shipping on two separate occasions, once for BL and once for Haruhi, regardless of actually purchasing them at the same time.

I ordered a crapload of anime during a sale they had last summer and was stupid enough to pick Priority thinking they would apply just one lump sum to the order. But instead, they must've made a good $40-50 extra from my shipping costs after all of those were released between and throughout the different release dates and backorders. Damn them!
Zork

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
Robert's Anime Corner Store just announced that they received volume 1 of Black Lagoon, both the regular edition and the limited edition. They have it almost two weeks before the release date of May 22. I guess other sites would have it for sale now as well.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Robert's Anime Corner Store just announced that they received volume 1 of Black Lagoon, both the regular edition and the limited edition. They have it almost two weeks before the release date of May 22. I guess other sites would have it for sale now as well.

Yeah, mine already shows as reserved for my order at TRSI, so I'm pretty sure most places will have it in stock now. I preordered all three volumes during the last Geneon sale and I can't wait to have a look at it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2