• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
sweet column this time around.

I enjoyed the coplay question because I had the same idea.

also to the flake even though high school sucked, my friends and I did the same thing. Well..we didn't look in a dictonary but we picked names.
We never got ragged on for the names but when we read manga and wore t-shirts with charcters on them then we got talked about. Which looking back on is ood.

Also try not to toss random japanese into your senteces. That really is annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Hmm, experienced high school girls. I can think of a few that had an ex or switched boyfriends during a show, but it was either a no-sex relationship or one where it's never clearly stated if it involved sex. However, it's noteworthy that even in the (supposedly) enlightened west fans will all too readily label the girls as sluts if they stray from the ideal of only having sex with the chosen one you love 100%. Preferably nothing kinkier than missionary sex. I'm certain the anime producers are all too aware of this fan reaction and as such are very reluctant to stray from the approved formula.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I might be totally missing something, but I kind of got the impression from the question about anime girls that the question was directed to your more shoujo female archetype. Yet in Anime girls are always portrayed as innocent, naive, virgins who are always experiencing their first real romantic encounter- Sounds more like a blushy shoujo girl than a sexbomb shounen girl, but I could be wrong. Or it could be referring to both.

Probably not because you don't really see this in shoujo titles that are licensed much less the ones that aren't. I am thinking of shows like NANA, Kare Kano, Boys Be, Yamato Nadesico Shichihenge and Paradise Kiss. Granted some of these girls might be virgins. The majority of people are at 15 in Japan and America. But they don't fit the popular pretty shy sterotype. Plus remember anime is still geared more towards boys in the US. We don't get a lot of the titles that are geared toward teen and adult woman (like NANA) yet. So most licensed anime will seem like teen boy wish fulfillment.

Beyblade- This anime wil always be the greatest mystery to me. I could at least see why the children liked Pokemon though I sure as heck never did. I was forced to sit through one episode of this while babysitting. As far as I could tell it was a show about spinning tops. SPINNING TOPS! Possibily the oldest childrens toy known to man. How those little boys could be excited about watching someone else spin tops when the only joy out of spinning tops in my day was doing it yourself will forever be mind boggling to me.

Rant-I got the impression the Ranter was suggesting newer anime fans check out old titles more then he was arguing for stores to stock more. In any case I disagree. There are many great old titles. But there are also many great new titles and most of their production values are better. The fact is Bubblegum Crisis and Evangelion type shows have been redone half a dozen times. We old fans like them best because we saw them first. You love the shows that got you into anime and the early great shows you saw. They seem special and newer shows rarely live up to them. But a newer fan seeing some of these same shows might not have the same love. They have their own shows that started them out and their own generations greats. Plus they are hardly deprieved. There are plenty of current titles to watch that rival any of the shows you mentioned. I say why burden fans with a huge catalog of old titles they should see. If you find yourself out of anime to watch then go old school, but otherwise it's ok to continue from where you start.

Last edited by sabriyahm on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
How those little boys could be excited about watching someone else spin tops when the only joy out of spinning tops in my day was doing it yourself will forever be mind boggling to me.

Those shows act as advertisements to sell more spinning tops "with special powers." Period. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the rant this time around very much. I agree that it'd be nice for people to check out older titles and give them the same shot that they'd actually give a newer anime title. I don't see much of that happening in today's hyperkinetic, spur of the moment society though. Very unfortunate. I know there are still quite a few people out there who truly enjoy older anime for what they are and not just because of the nostalgia factor but, they're pretty far and few between nowadays. This is not to say that I don't enjoy newer anime, I just prefer anime from the 80's and early 90's compared to more recent titles. If you're looking for older titles, I'd try Fry's Electronics. They actually have a lot bigger selection of anime than either Suncoast or Best Buy, so if you're close to one, check 'em out. I've seen volumes of Kimagure Orange Road and Urusei Yatsura still in stock at the one in my home state which is about 40 minutes away from where I live. They've got quite a few other titles that I know for a fact Best Buy doesn't carry any longer--older stuff from U.S. Manga, Animeigo and even a few of the Urban Vision discs that got released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sweet Lou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, this new rant system will have its pros and cons, but I think a major problem with it is that people will be encouraged to write just to win a prize. The kind of rants Zac is looking for now are going to come from people who geniunely care about the topic they're ranting about and have something worth our time to say. Not to knock on people who sent in rants this week, I'm sure you all put effort into it. I had been trying to organize my thoughts for a rant and I sent in something I threw together in about an hour for this week's column. That said, I'm not surprised that mine wasn't published. A prize is a good incentive to get the kind of rant Zac is looking for, but I think the real winner is going to come from someone who's writing from the heart, as cheezy as that may sound.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
[quote="sabriyahm"]
Quote:

Probably not because you don't really see this in shoujo titles that are licensed much less the ones that aren't. I am thinking of shows like NANA, Kare Kano, Boys Be, Yamato Nadesico Shichihenge and Paradise Kiss. Granted some of these girls might be virgins. The majority of people are at 15 in Japan and America. But they don't fit the popular pretty shy sterotype. Plus remember anime is still geared more towards boys in the US. We don't get a lot of the titles that are geared toward teen and adult woman (like NANA) yet. So most licensed anime will seem like teen boy wish fulfillment.

You left out a lot of big popular shoujo that do adhere to the blushy clumsy girl looking for romance. Your list includes a lot of shoujo I would consider more 'off kilter,' especially YamatoNadeshin. Sunako is in a class by herself. Some really substantiative shoujo- Fushigi Yuugi, Red River, Ghost Hunt, Fruits Basket, and of course Sailor Moon all feature that kind of girl as their lead. The clumsy naive girl with a heart of gold is a very popular standard.

I am not saying this is a bad archetype, but it is very common in shoujo.

And none of those girls are twelve. All are teenagers.

As I said, it was just the first impression I got from the post. But that also could be because I kind of intentionally avoid fanservicy romance shounen, so it came to mind only when I saw the reply.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
I might be totally missing something, but I kind of got the impression from the question about anime girls that the question was directed to your more shoujo female archetype. Yet in Anime girls are always portrayed as innocent, naive, virgins who are always experiencing their first real romantic encounter- Sounds more like a blushy shoujo girl than a sexbomb shounen girl, but I could be wrong. Or it could be referring to both.

I actually got that impression as well.
I can think of quite a few shojo/josei whatever titles that have their lead character going through their first love.
Lovely Complex, Saiunkoku Monogatari, La Corda D'Oro, Desire Climax (manga) Honey x Honey Drops, just to name a few.

Last edited by Eruanna on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
I usually watch the weather report to find out whether it will be rainy, or sunny. Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. Though it was a good rant all in all, and I agree the young-uns don't seem to realise that a few of the now popular titles, had older titles as examples of where that genre came from. Some, though looking dated now, were the "bee's knees" when they were new. It will be interesting to see how many of todays Hits are still that popular in 20, or even 10 years from now.

That tiger cub reminds me of Kisa from Fruits Basket. "SOOOO CCCUUTE!
" as Queen Misaki would say. Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
i doubt Priss could take revy without her hardsuit.

Kei from Dirty Pair however...
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
I love tigers.

@ rant:
Classics are always good; it's kind of like looking into the past. Yeah, the animation and sound quality may not be as good as current releases; but it's nice to see just how far it's come.
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised the percentages for Japanese schoolgirls who are virgins aren't lower- that's still half of them coming out of high school as virgins.

If you want a more realistic- and hilarious- take on schoolgirls in shounen, read High School Girls. It's done by a female mangaka, and it really shows the vulgar and frank side of girls.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote
[quote="kazenoyume"]
sabriyahm wrote:
Quote:

You left out a lot of big popular shoujo that do adhere to the blushy clumsy girl looking for romance. Your list includes a lot of shoujo I would consider more 'off kilter,' especially YamatoNadeshin. Sunako is in a class by herself. Some really substantiative shoujo- Fushigi Yuugi, Red River, Ghost Hunt, Fruits Basket, and of course Sailor Moon all feature that kind of girl as their lead. The clumsy naive girl with a heart of gold is a very popular standard.

I am not saying this is a bad archetype, but it is very common in shoujo.

I wanted all my examples to be shows about real people and the real world without fantasy elements (or I would have added Saiunkoku Monogatari). I thought non-fantasy shows were better examples since i don't expect realism from a show about magical girls transforming. And I did think I included some of the more popular shows. But I see your point. It is a common archetype. I just don't think it's the prevading sterotype in shoujo or josei like it is in shounen works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6