• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Please Save My Earth

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoya_C

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Out of print? Evil or Very Mad
Looks like an online scan reading marathon is about to start.
But maybe its worth downloading, since Jason recommends it so highly....

Should I watch the OVAs first or later????
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
It depends. The OVAs cover about the first 9 volumes of the manga, but remove a majority of the humor to go for a more dramatic interpretation. Honestly, I prefer how the OVA handles the same material up until the point near the end of the 6th episode where they're skipping around (what a freaking c***-tease). But I still really love the manga, and the humor is amusing. It just... throws me off sometimes.

The art is also a lot more gorgeous in the OVAs. The manga, however, has a lot of charm and the art does greatly improve over time.

I guess it just depends if having to adjust from gorgeous artwork and a more dramatic interpretation to average character designs and random, silly humor mixed in would throw you off too much. The OVA basically ends on a cliffhanger, so you'd have to read to manga to get the rest of the story.

And that's not to say that the manga is all silly humor. It gets a lot more dramatic over time (especially once we find out more about the 7 scientists' pasts). But there is a noticeable difference between the OVA and manga with how the initial material is covered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I know this is a bit off-topic but I'd love to see someone write a book on how America is portrayed in anime and manga. I think it would be a fascinating book to read. I think that someone like Jason Thompson can handle the manga part. Someone else can handle the anime part. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I've heard this title mentioned around here before, namely how hard it is to find all the volumes, which made me a bit hesitant to read but after seeing so much praise for it I've got to go out and find it. Actually, if Viz still has the license for it, I wonder if there's any chance of them releasing it on their new manga-reading website. I've been reading Red River recently (another Viz title) and I'm hoping that Viz will put that one up since I simply don't have room for another 28 manga volumes, think there's any chance of them getting digital releases?

Also, I consider myself a fan of shojo manga but I always feel so inadequate here, the amount of shojo some of you guys and gals have read is amazing and my hat is off to you!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah wrote:
This is my absolute favorite manga series! I love it! I watched the OVA before they released the manga. I was so glad when it started coming out. I bought each volume as it was released. I would also enjoy more of the cat. He's quite cool. I'd love it if they'd put the sequel out here. I'd buy it up in a second. I had no problems with the ending. I really enjoyed how twisted some things got. Thanks for writing about this one!

I don't mind the twistedness! I didn't like the ending as much as the stuff before mostly for two reasons: spoiler[(1) the big reveal of what Shion/Rin was going to do with the moonbase wasn't actually that big of a deal in the end and (2) it didn't really make sense to me how the personalities of Shion and Rin were split off in the last few volumes... lemme puzzle it out, so Shion never really loved her but Rin did? So the 'evil' Shion got separated from the 'good' Rin, allowing Rin to be redeemed and also to keep the psychic powers and the maturity-beyond-his-years? So *none* of them were exactly the same people as their past selves after all? I guess that's the message, but it didn't quite come together for me. Maybe it's just my personal preference and I just like more depressing endings. -_-]

Oh BTW! If anyone reading this column is going to Kumoricon in Vancouver, Washington this weekend, I'm going to be there! Come and see my panels!

http://www.kingofrpgs.com/king-of-rpgs-kumoricon-schedule/
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Hmm, I've heard this title mentioned around here before, namely how hard it is to find all the volumes, which made me a bit hesitant to read but after seeing so much praise for it I've got to go out and find it. Actually, if Viz still has the license for it, I wonder if there's any chance of them releasing it on their new manga-reading website. I've been reading Red River recently (another Viz title) and I'm hoping that Viz will put that one up since I simply don't have room for another 28 manga volumes, think there's any chance of them getting digital releases?

Also, I consider myself a fan of shojo manga but I always feel so inadequate here, the amount of shojo some of you guys and gals have read is amazing and my hat is off to you!

It would be awesome if Viz would put more older titles like PSME up online (on their app or whatever). They seem to have been focusing on digitizing newer titles, which sell better so I understand the logic, but the newer titles are much easier to find in bookstores (or, you know, other places).
lys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Zoya_C wrote:
Ugh. Out of print? :evil:

Aww, nooo! I think it's worth buying the volumes you can find—TRSI lists all but four volumes (1-2, 7 and 13) on the website, and used copies of 1-2 (and most volumes, really) can be found pretty cheap on Amazon. Or look for it at your library (maybe?? is it too old for most collections?) Or at least send a message to Viz and tell them you want to read this series and they need to make it available!! I don't know what kind of work or re-licensing fees would go into making it available online, but I think it'd be a great way to go.

Snomaster1 wrote:
I know this is a bit off-topic but I'd love to see someone write a book on how America is portrayed in anime and manga.I think it would be a fascinating book to read. I think that someone like Jason Thompson can handle the manga part. Someone else can handle the anime part. What do you guys think?

This would be a fascinating topic!! My favourite depiction of the US in manga is from Cipher (which is set in the US, with American protagonists), mainly because of the odd little details (like holiday celebrations) that I found surprisingly realistic. There were other things that had me cracking up and going "Whaaaa?," but in general it put in a lot more effort than most "Hey let's go to America!" storylines I've seen. And it's another great, older shoujo manga.

ptolemy18 wrote:
I don't mind the twistedness! I didn't like the ending as much as the stuff before mostly for two reasons[...]

I remember having a discussion about the second issue on an old thread here... let's see, most of the posts were on this page: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23380&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1020 I don't know if my interpretation is "right" or "wrong" but it's what makes sense to me.

(Ahh... between this and the recent podcast, I'm really craving old shoujo manga now.)
Zoya_C

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Zoya_C wrote:
Ugh. Out of print? Evil or Very Mad

Aww, nooo! I think it's worth buying the volumes you can find—TRSI lists all but four volumes (1-2, 7 and 13) on the website, and used copies of 1-2 (and most volumes, really) can be found pretty cheap on Amazon. Or look for it at your library (maybe?? is it too old for most collections?) Or at least send a message to Viz and tell them you want to read this series and they need to make it available!! I don't know what kind of work or re-licensing fees would go into making it available online, but I think it'd be a great way to go.

Since there is an ongoing manga sequel to PSME which started in 2005...'Embraced by the Moonlight', that hasn't been licensed yet....
Wouldn't VIZ reprint Please save my Earth if they licensed Embraced by the Moonlight ???

We can hope... Ah, and thanks for your suggestions, but seeing as I live in India, manga is hard to come by.
Save corners of ancient bookstores, which is where I got my TP edition of Fruits Basket 1. I was beyond lucky- books in India are dirt cheap, it cost me barely 5 USD after converting. Very Happy

I'd rather not spend a fortune on shipping....
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I have only the first volume which I found on the bargain bin of my local comic store (I couldn't believe nobody bought it O.o) so I guess I will spend years and years yearning for the rest -.-
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
I think the thing that bothered me most in PSME was that Mokuren was so cool and Alice was so...quiet (AKA passive) most of the time. spoiler[ I do think that Shion grew to genuinely love Mokuren, though. His feelings for her, like his attitude towards everything, were conflicted and complicated by his nasty childhood. But in the end, where it counted, he didn't kill himself or mess with her plants, because he believed in her.]

All I have to add is that the manga is awesome, I hope Viz licenses the sequel ASAP, and if you have a library look through the catalog and try interlibrary loans to obtain the volumes you can't/can't afford to buy!
jennye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I borrowed the entire series through interlibrary loan and had no problems finding libraries willing to lend it, so if you have that option and can't afford to hunt down volumes to purchase, don't pass up the chance to read it.

There's a sequel in progress?! I'll have to add my excited pretty-pleases to the voices hoping for an English release (and a re-release of the original).

BTW, Kyaa is cool and cuddly...and almost creepy, in that Hypno Toad kind of way. It's those eyes.... Very Happy
escahime65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
Don't forget about ebay for all your manga needs. I just checked and vol 1 is available for a decent price and there are some sellers selling the entire series. I bought the whole series myself a few years ago on ebay and it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Such a great series! I love the OVA too. You definitely need to experience both to get the most enjoyment out of it. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2