• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz, T3 Networks Partner to Market Anime for TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
As I understand it, T3 isn't a network in and of itself, but a company that sells the right to air shows to various networks, a middleman between Viz, and say, NickToons or The CW.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a shojo anime has been on American TV since "Sailor Moon" (unless "Descendants of Darkness is shojo, I'm not sure), which is why it will be so hard to sell Vampire Knight in particular.

Inuyasha and Death Note have both been on [as]. Both Naruto series have been on TV. Nura looks enough like other shonen properties that it shouldn't raise too many executives eyebrows.

But "Vampire Knight"? It just doesn't fit. You couldn't get further from the male 7-14 year old demographic that all (most, I'm looking at you, "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic") cartoons in the U.S. supposedly target.

Now, if they can follow Vampire Knight with "Nana," I'll be really impressed! Very Happy

not quite, cardcaptor sakura localized as "cardcaptors" albeit magical girl is still shoujo and it aired on the kids wb (hacked to pieces and truncated to 39 episodes, but it did air Rolling Eyes), Tokyo Mew Mew localized as "Mew Mew Power" and Do Rei Mi which aired on 4kids tv were also aired here. So no, Sailor Moon isn't the only shoujo anime to make it to american tv, but lets face it all of those were magical girl shows and with the exception of Sailor Moon, none of them really fared well in the ratings department, so it's unlikely a straight up shoujo that's all drama and no magic is likely to fair much better but who knows times are changing. To address your second point about Vampire Knight not standing a chance because of the standard demographic, I'd also have to disagree on that too. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, airs on the hub and if you've noticed that channel has an encouraging line up of shows that aren't completely aimed at young boys. Like the old 80's classic Jem and the Holograms. The channel is pretty young, but it would be nice to see something like Vampire Knight end up there because at least it'd get proper treatment. But even still selling Vampire Knight as animated Twilight might be enough all by itself to get broadcast networks interested.

Quite Honestly, I'm just glad to see one of the major licensing companies starting to look at getting anime on tv again. I'm not a fan of the defeatist attitude that a lot of people in the industry have taken on about the future of anime on tv. There's a reason why anime blew up in the early 2000's and it wasn't because people were blind buying dvds. These companies need to get their heads out of the sand and seriously start being more aggressive about getting anime on tv again. The act of watching shows on a tv isn't dead yet, and they've said themselves in typical pessimistic fashion that simulcasts and streams alone will not be able to keep the ship from sinking. Hopefully Viz sees some success in this venture because maybe it'll help to convince other companies to start doing the same thing (I'm looking at you funi, your funimation channel that airs in all of 3 cities does not garner the visibility of a cable network).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

not quite, cardcaptor sakura localized as "cardcaptors" albeit magical girl is still shoujo and it aired on the kids wb (hacked to pieces and truncated to 39 episodes, but it did air Rolling Eyes), Tokyo Mew Mew localized as "Mew Mew Power" and Do Rei Mi which aired on 4kids tv were also aired here. So no, Sailor Moon isn't the only shoujo anime to make it to american tv, but lets face it all of those were magical girl shows

Not anime, but there's also Winx and W.I.T.C.H. Laughing
Those lasted at least 2 seasons worth.

Anyways, T3 reminded me of this:

configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
^ lol, but you know, that's the kind of marketing and channel-block-making they really need for anime in general, even the shoujo stuff (just reverse the gender demographics) You're just asking for more trouble and more significantly more expense due to having the broadcasters audit every second of video to censor or edit. Besides they're most likely going to get a nighttime or early a.m. timeslot anyways
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote
Centuries ago, people were terrified of being buried alive and there's recorded evidence there was some justification for this fear as coffins have been found with fingernail marks engraved from the occupants trying to dig themselves out.

This news reminded me of this because I see this effort as a "too little, too late" and Viz is now trying to dig itself out of being buried alive. I understand a company needs to milk a few products as best it can, but this is ridiculous.

What's next, 13 different iterations of Death Note, each with their own Bluray release?

Don't forget the trinkets, Viz.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Teen Nick's experimental 'The 90s Are All That' proved to be a huge success so a shoujo block may work well if they air Vampire Knight and Nana. I know nostalgia was a big factor for "The 90s..." but it goes to show that if marketed correctly, even something experimental can do well on TV.
jlaking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I'm looking at you funi, your funimation channel that airs in all of 3 cities does not garner the visibility of a cable network.

The reason is that some cable and satellite service providers don't think that there is demand for a 24/7 anime channel in the US. So, if there is no demand, you will never get it.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
So is Naruto not on Disney X-D anymore? Because Im confused why they would be shopping it around otherwise. Death Note even - it already had a TV run.

And why isnt Tiger & Bunny on this list?

Last edited by Hagaren Viper on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
^

Also more importantly, why isn't Reborn! on that list? Laughing

And agreed, Death Note is already insanely popular, already had it's TV run, all DVDs out, why does it need to run again? Rolling Eyes

Not too interested in what Viz does anymore. They can out every single show they have on TV and I wouldnt care. Not until I get my fav manga and anime released here in the states. Until then, Viz....what's that? It's dead to me. Mad
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
^

Also more importantly, why isn't Reborn! on that list? Laughing

And agreed, Death Note is already insanely popular, already had it's TV run, all DVDs out, why does it need to run again? Rolling Eyes

Not too interested in what Viz does anymore. They can out every single show they have on TV and I wouldnt care. Not until I get my favorite manga and anime released here in the states. Until then, Viz....what's that? It's dead to me. Mad

Well for one Viz doesn't own Reborn outright. They just stream it. They said this themselves on their facebook. And Tiger and Bunny isn't even done yet with no news for a dub so why rush.

ANd just because Shippuden is on Disney Anime hyper doesn't mean they can't come on another channel, (Dragonball Z Kai)
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Do you have any particular objections to streaming it on Hulu, where it is available freely in both dub or sub?
Quality. While neither will be as high as from physical media, a linear chanel will have less compression than an internet stream (even one claiming high resolution.) Further, while you can plug a computer into a TV/AV setup, it tends to be hard to get it out of the way about pre-processing the content, rather than letting your components do the work they are there to do (scaling, deinterlacing, etc.)
chrisb wrote:
Teen Nick's experimental 'The 90s Are All That' proved to be a huge success so a shoujo block may work well if they air Vampire Knight and Nana.
I haven't gotten around to watching VK yet, but given all the folks saying it would be marketed at tweens/teens, wouldn't that be a bad pairing for a show that (at least without some censoring) really shouldn't?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2