• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross F, Madoka Magica, Hetalia Win Anime Kobe Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Theme Song Award
"Shinryaku no Susume☆" by ULTRA-PRISM with Ika Musume (Hisako Kanemoto)

oh hell yes. song is epic win
Juhachi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Theme Song Award
"Shinryaku no Susume☆" by ULTRA-PRISM with Ika Musume (Hisako Kanemoto)

Now I've seen everything.
scchan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
I bet Kyoko gave all the judges some Pocky to eat.

Laughing
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
I'm happy knowing Mari Okeda got an award. Her work on Hourou Musuko was amazing, and I'm sure she did well with AnoHana. (I haven't watched much of it beyond the first episode, but it seemed promising.) And yay, Madoka Magica gets an award. It's not at all surprising, but it's still good to know.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
...I really enjoyed Ika Musume but that song was ear cancer.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Madoka getting an award for anything is disappointing. Urobuchi's writing was unusually lackluster, and Shinbou's direction was extremely distracting given the nature of the show. Kajiura's soundtrack was excellent as usual, but that alone does not make up for this pitiful stain on the mahou shoujo genre, perpetuated by children who have never actually seen a real mahou shoujo anime and yet still cite the show as a "deep deconstruction" of the genre.

Such are the anime industry and its fans. Shows with plots driven by legitimately mature psychological exploration are discarded to make way for pseudo-intellectual drivel that rides only on its shock value.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite happy about Madoka Magica getting the Television award, and I think most of those that have sen the show are quite happy too. (Not too sure I understand how Shinbo's direction or Urobuchi's writing could've been significantly disappointing, though ... different strokes for different folks I guess.)

Ika Musume's OP getting the award, though? I dunno... I thought it was quite cute and fitting as I watched the show, and the visual gags during the OP certainly helped my enjoyment. Not so sure about it being particularly high quality in of itself, though...

What Anime Awards will we be seeing voice actors get recognition at? (I'm surprised the Kobe Awards aren't covering them...) That's another area that I think Madoka Magica should excel at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
a real mahou shoujo anime
Care to name a few? Your trolling is so obvious it hurts, but I'm still curious what titles among the genre you hold in high enough regard to snub something like Madoka and its fans with such unnecessary bile, because basically you just sound like you're mad that it's popular, which is hilarious.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
So we enter the age of Madoka backlash, where everything poplar must have it's equal share of haters.

Props to Detective Conan team.

Ika Musume's OP is an odd choice.. I can think of a lot of other openings I liked more.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
AilisKnil wrote:
a real mahou shoujo anime
Care to name a few? Your trolling is so obvious it hurts, but I'm still curious what titles among the genre you hold in high enough regard to snub something like Madoka and its fans with such unnecessary bile, because basically you just sound like you're mad that it's popular, which is hilarious.

Surely I must be trolling because I dislike a show you like!

I'm not saying I hold any mahou shoujo anime in particularly high regard. I am saying that the majority of Madoka fans I am aware of claim it is the greatest show in the genre having not even seen a typical mahou shoujo anime. They claim to like it because it is "not like other mahou shoujo," or because it "deconstructs" the genre. It had the potential to deconstruct the genre, sure. In practice, it did not. We could argue back and forth about this as long as you wanted, but the show is lacking in many of the aspects that make a good story, instead, as I said before, choosing to ride on the shock value created by contrasting mahou shoujo and gore. Even Nanoha, which is by no means a perfect anime, is more successful in its experimentation with the genre.

So of course I am a bit angry that it's popular. Because I don't think it deserves its popularity. If we allow anime to be defined by the mediocre, then soon enough we'll be getting nothing but trash, as if we don't get enough of that already.

I'd much sooner take something like Precure over Madoka, despite the fact that the former's target audience is little girls. At least it doesn't pretend to be revolutionary.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Puella Magi Madoka Magica was a deconstruction of the genre for the first eleven episodes. The final episode was a reconstruction of epic proportions, basically making Madoka herself the spoiler[Patron Goddess of Magical Girls.]

At this point in time I rate the show as the second best Anime I have ever seen. Period. I do not expect that to change any time soon, not with RahXephon being so perfect. What, you thought I meant that it might slip in the ranks? Oh, you.

On a side note, people complain about current Anime as usual, but I think this year (2011) has so far been pretty good in the scheme of things.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Surely I must be trolling because I dislike a show you like!
My liking it or disliking it doesn't have anything to do with how trollish and venomous your previous post was. Anyway, moving on.

Quote:
They claim to like it because it is "not like other mahou shoujo,"
I'm having a hard time seeing how you can even begin to disagree on the point that Madoka is not the genre norm, unless to you the genre norm is things like Princess Tutu, Nanoha, Figure 17, and Tweeny Witches. Then again, I guess the genre is almost to the point, if it isn't already, where the "genre norm" is a pretty vague term, but even if we discard that term, Madoka still has some uniqueness, and arguing against that fact is just being bullheaded. Does merely standing out equate to greatness? Of course not, but for me and many others it did help make the entire experience more enjoyable.

Quote:
or because it "deconstructs" the genre.
Madoka subverts expectations by not following genre tropes by the book, and it deconstructs what it means to be a magical girl, but I don't think deconstructs the genre itself--certainly not in any kind of self-aware way. It's not the first show to do these things, but it doesn't make any claim to be, as far as I can tell, but it still did them very effectively.

Quote:
but the show is lacking in many of the aspects that make a good story, instead, as I said before, choosing to ride on the shock value created by contrasting mahou shoujo and gore.
So to be good, a story shouldn't do anything unexpected, follow its own rules, serve as a vehicle to examine real life issues, use foreshadowing or contrast effectively, try to evoke sympathy, let characters learn or develop, or be violent? Just making sure we're on the same page here.

Quote:
So of course I am a bit angry that it's popular. Because I don't think it deserves its popularity. If we allow anime to be defined by the mediocre, then soon enough we'll be getting nothing but trash, as if we don't get enough of that already.
So you've created a mission statement for the show based on your idea of a good mahou shoujo story and by reading posts by anime newbies on 4chan, and since the show doesn't live up to your expectations, you hate it. Alright.

Last edited by Veers on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
I can see why people are afraid of Grim Dark magical girls. Grim Dark superheroes are considered a joke nowadays. That doesn't mean that Madoka Magica is a bad show, just that we should beware imitators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1