• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Plucked From Obscurity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
My question is; Why did the producers waste this animators talent on a show so puerile as Naruto? The largely parochial audience for this show is not going to understand this, as illustrated by this youtube link.
Pierrot has doing this kind of thing for almost 20 years now. It goes back as far as Yu Yu Hakusho with the Akiyuki Shinbo (episode director)and Atsushi Wakabayashi (animation director; also the guy who's responsible for the Naruto episode in question) episodes that applied a similar approach to their episodes. If you've ever seen complaints about Yu Yu Hakusho's suddenly turning into "rubber" then these two guys were probably responsible. Their efforts set up a precedent in the studio that still continues to this in their works.

That said, I've seen the same core animators responsible for this episode work on stuff like Birdy the Mighty Decode, and it resulted them getting similar reactions to their work. So I wouldn't say this reaction is something specific to Naruto's audience. It's just that a show like Naruto has so many more fans that the overall feedback is much more virulent compared to what comparatively niche show like Birdy will get.

I don't have a problem with this kind of animation being on such a mainstream show. It gets these animators and their style of animation exposed to a much wider audience. It's not like they don't work on other shows that are popular, but I think them having an entire episode to showcase their talents to an audience that normally would not exposed to this kind of material is actually something productive. I know my views and expectations on animation would have not have been the same had I not been exposed to Atsushi Wakabayashi and Norio Matsumoto's work on Naruto. There are others like me who got interested in the specific animators involved in anime because they watched an episode that Atsushi Wakabayashi or the Toshiyuki Tsuru and Hirofumi Suzuki duo were responsible for crafting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
My question is; Why did the producers waste this animators talent on a show so puerile as Naruto? The largely parochial audience for this show is not going to understand this, as illustrated by this youtube link.
Pierrot has doing this kind of thing for almost 20 years now. It goes back as far as Yu Yu Hakusho with the Akiyuki Shinbo (episode director)and Atsushi Wakabayashi (animation director; also the guy who's responsible for the Naruto episode in question) episodes that applied a similar approach to their episodes. If you've ever seen complaints about Yu Yu Hakusho's suddenly turning into "rubber" then these two guys were probably responsible. Their efforts set up a precedent in the studio that still continues to this in their works.

That said, I've seen the same core animators responsible for this episode work on stuff like Birdy the Mighty Decode, and it resulted them getting similar reactions to their work. So I wouldn't say this reaction is something specific to Naruto's audience. It's just that a show like Naruto has so many more fans that the overall feedback is much more virulent compared to what comparatively niche show like Birdy will get.

I don't have a problem with this kind of animation being on such a mainstream show. It gets these animators and their style of animation exposed to a much wider audience. It's not like they don't work on other shows that are popular, but I think them having an entire episode to showcase their talents to an audience that normally would not exposed to this kind of material is actually something productive. I know my views and expectations on animation would have not have been the same had I not been exposed to Atsushi Wakabayashi and Norio Matsumoto's work on Naruto. There are others like me who got interested in the specific animators involved in anime because they watched an episode that Atsushi Wakabayashi or the Toshiyuki Tsuru and Hirofumi Suzuki duo were responsible for crafting.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. It was very interesting.

I've seen this kind of animation on Naruto before, and it is always gets the same poorly spelled "WTF" comments from adolescent fans. Personally, I think it's very dynamic and exciting to watch. Will have to check out Yu Yu Hakusho now. (been thinking about getting those blue-rays anyway Wink )
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

I don't have a problem with this kind of animation being on such a mainstream show. It gets these animators and their style of animation exposed to a much wider audience. It's not like they don't work on other shows that are popular, but I think them having an entire episode to showcase their talents to an audience that normally would not exposed to this kind of material is actually something productive.

Ya say that now, until they get Peter Chung to guest. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3