• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crybaby characters in anime drive anyone crazy?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naitron

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
I've just been watching stellvia and I'm liking the show so far. Well until the main character screams and whines like a little girl even though she's so damn talented. Kinda reminded me of watching End of Evangelion and well wanting to tell Shinji to STFU. I like Stellvia for the story more than the character dynamics.

I just really think the whole finding yourself and growing up theme is getting old. Especially when they make the characters seem so talented.

Theres a few other shows I've felt annoyed by the whinning but I can't remember any off the top of my head.

Anyways I'm sure someone posted this before so sorry ahead of time.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
"a few"?! Like, you can count them on one hand? Wow, maybe I just have higher standards than you, but hell yeah, that bugs me all the time. Sometimes it is reasonable, but most of the time it just comes across as annoying. There's a certain amount that each character gets to complain and wallow in self-pity, but once they've used up their quota, everything else they do just earns them boatloads of enmity from me. I would say well over 70% of male anime protagonists (in particular) share this trait of over angsting.

Don't get me wrong, I love Stellvia, and I think there's a great deal of her angsting that can be forgiven... but I think she's one of the few characters that could potentially be genuinely diagnosed as bipolar from her intense and disproportionate mood swings. If you want an example of a character that bugs most people as much (or more... in my case, more) than Shinji, look no farther than Shinn Asuka from Gundam SEED Destiny. It is one thing to be frustrated at yourself or to be insecure, it is quite another to angst for 30 or 50 straight episodes and refuse to see even the most obvious contradictory circumstances that should lead you out of your rut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
Koyuki from BECK irritates me whenever he cries or gets bullied. I kept saying "Damn it, stand up for yourself!". His excessive crying made me think what the hell does Maho see in him? He's in a band, a relatively well known and succesful band. He should use that to back him up a bit. He's probably the character in BECK that I like the least.

And maybe Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi. Actually she's whines more than she cries, which usually results from "I can do it!" to "I can't do it after all!". Maybe she should just stay put, oh wait, maybe she'll whine about how lonely she is and start crying again. sheesh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
Ugh, crybabies get on my nerves. They just seem spineless dweebs that just only know how to cry. However, my most hated crybably is... Yes, the best-known there is (IMHO): Tsukino Usagi. She (and her LA dub voice) made me hate Sailor Moon (if we put aside the shojo theme).

I sometimes wished I was there to slap her face and shout "GROW UP, MORON!" at her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
zombie828

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
The Japanese are just very emotional people! :P

Shinji from Evangelion never bothered me at all, I don't quite get why everyone hates him so much. Yes, he whines a whole lot, but that's simply his character (image him being Sousuke from FMP, except without having guard duty - it wouldn't be nearly as interesting). It's like hating Gendo for being a jerk and a crappy dad, if he was a much nicer guy who was the perfect father - would it really make the anime better? Without the two most hated characters, there'd be a whole lot less drama and everyone would have constant smiles on their faces (exactly what everyone seems to want all anime to be).

But perhaps I just haven't seen enough crybaby anime to be annoyed by them.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Koyuki from BECK irritates me whenever he cries or gets bullied. I kept saying "Damn it, stand up for yourself!". His excessive crying made me think what the hell does Maho see in him? He's in a band, a relatively well known and succesful band. He should use that to back him up a bit. He's probably the character in BECK that I like the least.

And maybe Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi. Actually she's whines more than she cries, which usually results from "I can do it!" to "I can't do it after all!". Maybe she should just stay put, oh wait, maybe she'll whine about how lonely she is and start crying again. sheesh.

he is A LOT more ballsy in the manga. i only saw a little of the anime, but the manga is a lot better. and i can also tell that judging by your description. the guy who created BECK was at AnimeNEXT last year, and im really pissed that i hadnt picked up the manga sooner. hell i should have just bought the first volume and got it signed.

by the way, its Gundam ANGST
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Ugh, crybabies get on my nerves. They just seem spineless dweebs that just only know how to cry. However, my most hated crybably is... Yes, the best-known there is (IMHO): Tsukino Usagi. She (and her LA dub voice) made me hate Sailor Moon (if we put aside the shojo theme).

I sometimes wished I was there to slap her face and shout "GROW UP, MORON!" at her.
Expect, you know, she does if you actually watch more than one episode. And yeah, let's hate shoujo anime for no reason at all other than it being shoujo because we all know how much logical sense that makes. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:

Awww, yes our dear Usagi cries at the drop of a hat. But she does grow out of it. By the end of the series (usually) she only cries for the important things.

Actually, an anime character crying at the drop of a hat, doesn't bother me. Unless it's a guy doing it. (Keitaro of Love Hina only cries after he's had the snot punched out of him, so that one is iffy.) I actually understand. I'm one of those people that when I'm so angry or extremely stressed, I cry. I don't know why but it's the only way that I can deal with things and I usually feel better afterwards.

Have some sympathy for us crybabies. Wink
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
My biggest beef is with the characters who have been given a special ability to fight, need to use this ability in order for the 'bad guys' to be defeated... and WON'T. Ala Jubei-chan. Just shut up and put on the @#$%ing eyepatch already, or do you want someone to get killed?!?! (I half-expect someone to pop up and say Jubei-chan 2 is better, but she drove me so crazy in the first series I don't think I could ever stand to sit down and watch more.)
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Saya from Blood+ comes to mind. man she gets on my nerves. she's supposed to be the ultimate weapon against the chiroptera, yet pretty much the entire series she made everyone else fight her battles, while she whined and cried about how weak she is.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue May 01, 2007 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
TestamentSaki wrote:

Expect, you know, she does if you actually watch more than one episode. And yeah, let's hate shoujo anime for no reason at all other than it being shoujo because we all know how much logical sense that makes. Rolling Eyes

*Ahem* I didn't just watch ONE episode. I saw the entire series (because I was a stupid kid at that time)

And sorry... I got carried off by my way of being... It's just that having grown up alone and having to withstand many harsh things made me almost (if not totally) insensitive -_-U, so I'm used to keep my trouble to myself and not express my feelings. I still dislike crybabies, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I have a higher tolerance for cry-babies in anime I like vs. anime I don't like as well.
I frequently wanted to slap Renton and kids in Eureka 7.

Crying alone isn't as bad as the snot hanging out of the nose, that for me is a particular sign I could live without seeing.

The crybaby in Ghost Story however was amusing to me. (English dub)
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hachi from NANA at the beginning i couldn't stand her Mad now is better but still i do not like her.

i agree with TestamentSaki Usagi is annoying crybaby

DuelLadyS wrote:
My biggest beef is with the characters who have been given a special ability to fight, need to use this ability in order for the 'bad guys' to be defeated... and WON'T.

for that reason i hate Kagome. she usually only scream Inuyasha except moments when her a** was in real danger later she started to help other but unfortunately it was too late
covah

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
pretty much a bunch of the characters in Gundam Seed do this for me. I don't know, maybe I just didn't watch enough (about the first 10 or so episodes) but all I saw was a bunch of "boohoo I don't want to fight" and "My daddy is dead!!!" nonsense. Couldn't deal with it.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
First thing I thought of when reading the name of this thread: C-ko.

I've just been watching Project A-Ko for the first time.

Of course you guys are talking about serious angsty-type crybabies, not a comedic character like C-Ko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4