• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Neon Genesis Resurrection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
MidnightDemon wrote:
I also remember it [Parasyte] waaay back in the one volume of mixx that I bought
(and that was for the sailor moon, I was really little, gimme a break Razz)

Hey, I originally picked up MixxZine because of both Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth (a very bold move for a high school-aged boy! Razz ), but I ended up really liking Parasyte. Now Ice Blace I could have done without.....if I want a procedural crime drama, I think I'd rather watch Law & Order reruns.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Woot! Evengelion is out! I love that anime and I'm glad they still have the manga! The shonen-ai story sounds like something I'd recommend to my yaoi fangirls friends.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I've also had Aoi Hana sitting on my computer for a while. Should really look into it, especially since the same publisher also put out Nijigahara Holograph. Exclamation (Really should start a thread on that soon.)

Yeah, I've wanted to start a thread for a while, but I've been lazy and starting a NH discussion would probably take even more effort than that Texhnolyze discussion. Soon, soon...
Aoi Hana is a very nice little manga. Can't say its characters are endeared to me as much as everybody's favorite grade school gender-benders, but its close.

Quote:
Hey, I originally picked up MixxZine because of both Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth (a very bold move for a high school-aged boy! Razz ), but I ended up really liking Parasyte. Now Ice Blace I could have done without.....if I want a procedural crime drama, I think I'd rather watch Law & Order reruns.

Eh, I've grown kind of weary with Law&Order with stuff like The Wire out there, but Jiraishin (Ice Blade) is much better that the censored material Mixx published would lead you to believe. About five or so volumes into it Takahashi really starts developing as a writer and gets that hang of characterizations. There are good volumes and there are bad volumes, but at its best he can churn out gritty yarns often filled with some fascinating themes and ideas. He always has trouble making some of the themes and plotting coherent, and most stories have very odd endings, but his execution usually makes for good reading once you get past the first three or so volumes. The main character becomes very badass as well, and his art really matures beautifully. There are probably better Takahashi manga out there (Blue Spring, Tetsuwan Girl) but Jiraishin is a good start. Certainly just as interesting as watching McCoy act like an @sshole.

As for Parasyte, they did a fine job on the new edition (kudos to Andrew for the translation). Hopefully it will sell well and lead to Histore being licensed, which would really be awesome.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I haven't checked out Parasyte yet, but it looks freakin' awesome from everything that I've read about it. Really glad that Del Rey is re-releasing this series. Perhaps its translator will come by and put in his two cents...?

Why not?
Parasyte is one of the best and most influential manga of its time, and one of the most satisfying jobs I've ever had. Loved working on it, can't wait to get my copy.

I also really like Princess Resurrection - I picked it up with no expectations, and the first volume made me laugh a lot. I liked it enough to pick up the second and third volume, but I only just got around to reading them a couple of weeks ago, and it really takes off - you mention the genre tropes, but it makes all of them feel fresh, and has some bits that are inventive on a Jojo's level. Wait till you see the giant flying shark.
Asako

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy they rereleased Parasyte... those mixx books are hard to come by Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Where are those idiot pundits who say that manga is appealing because dead characters stay dead and storylines come to an end? These alchemists are getting resurrected faster than Superman ever did!

American comic publishers usually kill characters to sell more copies, not because it ties in with the story. In fact, the phenomenon's even been
parodied. (Although they were dicks in the way they made Captain America and the second Robin kick the bucket...)

Andrew: Finally got a copy, and the art style took me back to the days of Guyver. (I hope Del Rey gets that one, too.) I'm surprised it was only rated 16+, though, because it's as violent as Berserk. I'm also surprised you didn't try to sell more copies by saying, "Soon to be made into a movie" on the cover. But yeah, thanks for bringing it here, since I was getting tired of that hippy horror crap from Umezu and Ito.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
As I understand, they could get away with 16+ because the sexual content is minimal.
Nothing as embarrassing as "Soon to be a major motion picture" (like there are minor motion pictures) when the movie never gets greenlit. I imagine it'll go on there if they start shooting before volume 8...
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
So the sluggish Satamoto finally got something done. Another year before another one comes out? Too much into the anime still. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
Roy: He's kinda busy with other projects like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Besides, his buddy Anno didn't put in any effort into the story, so why should he? The whole thing's gonna be irrelevant after that anime re-boot anyway. But now I know how the average DC and Marvel writer feels.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
I was very amused by the reviewer's coments on the SEED Destiny manga, but I would have loved a scan of even one page to illustrate the art problems, since I always like to see what a reviewer is talking about when they compliment/trash the artwork in something.
ikky

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Oh, I thought the rerelease of Parasyte was just a rumour! Surprised I will definitely start collecting the new release. Nice to see that it has been retranslated as well, manga released before 2000 were usually very americanised.

Isn't the main character's name Shinji though?
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I was very amused by the reviewer's coments on the SEED Destiny manga, but I would have loved a scan of even one page to illustrate the art problems, since I always like to see what a reviewer is talking about when they compliment/trash the artwork in something.

Del Rey's website doesn't even have a preview art for it, if that gives you some idea how bad it is...heh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

Del Rey's website doesn't even have a preview art for it, if that gives you some idea how bad it is...heh.

Found it! Wait a minute....
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Picked up the new NGE manga yeserday after realizing it was out.

I am stil enjoying the hell out of this. Say what you want, I think the refocusing on different aspects of the characters is allowing Sadamoto to make something new that still [i]feels[/] like Eva while being very different in scope, and it's the subtleties in the way he does it, not the blatant diversions, that make the series worth keeping up with. Little things like how Kawarou is suddenly a little more worldly (look at the way he's trying to actively meet the youth culture "norm" in the background throughout volume 10 after the initial fight instead of just appealing to Shinji alone). Or how spoiler[Touji's death] has caused the entire "support group" cast at the school to practically disappear, forcing Shinji and Asuka to more directly confront their own insecurities.

The best part of it? Shinji is still the whiny anti-hero, not some sudden superhero. He's still got all of the problems of the original anime, but very slowly changing--we're not loking at a revolution, we're looking at an evolution, where we can expect that things are going to stay very similar, but the small twists will define how he (and others) will slightly change the course of the story. The biggest question is if these small, minor issues are enough to actualy change anything in the end, and if so to what scale?

Typically, most Evangelion fanfiction/doujinshi seems to focus on the idea that a single major event suddenly turns Shinji from geek to chic. That a spine grows like bamboo at a moments notice. Almost always, the ending is suddenly turned fom "sad" to "happy," giving him the willpower to demand what he wants for himself and becoming some sort of world-saviour at the end.

What's interesting in the manga though is that despite developing more willpower, Shinji hasn't lost his sense of helplessness. In fact, it almost seems to be reinforced. Every time he tries to do "the right thing," the consequneces are even worse tan in the anime. Instead of failure, he's constantly achieving some sort of phyrric victory, seemingly losing while winning. Seeing how that plays out in his subconcious is going to be what makes the endgame of this series so interesting. If all he knows is how to win at the expense of victory, what sort of choice would he make in determining the ultimate fate of humanity?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I ordered Parasyte and Princess Resurrection off rightstuf when they had their Del Rey sale. Stil waiting for it. They have the first 6 volumes of the Parasyte Mixx manga (hardcover no less) at the library I visit. Picked them all up one day out of boredom and loved it.

and I completely agree with Gundam Seed Destiny. I gave up half way through the second chapter, I had no idea what the hell was going on. And then those bastards at the library tried to charge me $2 in overdues because they were too lazy to check the damn book in before they shelved it. I wouldn't have been that pissed off if it was actually something good but not this crap Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4