• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speech Synthesis Software for Anime Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I think that it is a good idea if used sparingly at its current level of technology. Train station announcers, computer voices, police radio speakers, and other minor voices that don't require emotional range to convey info could easily be done with the synthesis software imo.

Emotional range still requires a human voice imo.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's too big of a threat. *Maybe* for American voice actors, but not Japanese. Japanese idols can be a pretty big industry over there, and I don't think they'll get rid of that. But it's a much larger industry in Japan than it is here, so I can see it getting more use in English dubs than it would in Japan.

I can see it being used to voice robots, announcements (like the train announcements), animals (if it can mimic animal sounds), and things like that, but not major characters.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I like voice actresses, and don't want to do away with their charm.

At the same time, as an amateur game developer, this sounds really useful. I don't have a budget to pay studios with professionals. I compose my own music, and with this (if it were in English), I can have voice acting as well!

I haven't browsed through their sites yet, but the thing that impresses me about the sound of this news item is though, they seem to be targeting industry houses which can already afford real actors. I say make it for the hobbyist and one-man studios.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a good idea. *dodges*

Seriously, it's not like they're going to fire off voice acting anytime soon. (And I'm pretty sure that in some cases, like crappy dubs in ... certain languages, like Chinese and... others..., the technology will soon surpass the actors... "ability.") If this decreases costs and make anime cheaper, I'm all for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3