• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
I know, Kouji. I don't think I'd want my (hypothetical) elementary school-age kid watching Asuka get spoiler[mindraped and end up naked in a tub] (or countless other things in that series). Even the berserker sequences from episode 2 on are too intense for kids IMO.

AWO: Yeah, man, upload that sucker! YouTube it (or whatever floats your boat).

Edit: Yeah, I can read Rolling Eyes 6th grade is not elementary school unless you cram K-6 into one school.

Edit to Previous Edit: Yeah, but Japanese schools are apparently 1-6 in one school! If anyone can think of anything else to edit in this post, feel free to point it out, I'm on a roll.

Last edited by Iritscen on Thu May 03, 2007 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow, this is brilliant. Isn't it odd to think that if Anno went into a 6th-grade class now, most of the kids would have been crawling around and biting things when Evangelion first aired?

@AWO: Pretty Please?
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Why is that robot-thingy called Evangelion?"

"It comes from a Christian word meaning 'Gospel' and it's supposed to bring blessings. It has has some Greek roots. I chose the name because it sounds complicated."

truley there must be more to it then this. Eva fans will be jumping off of roofs if they can't analyse it and rewatch episodes and have dicertations on individual frames. I think anno was obviously just joking with the kids because nothing eva is ever as simple as "it sounded complicated" /sarcasm Laughing
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Maybe I should encode this thing so others can check it out since it is pretty unique? Razz

If you do, don't post a torrent link here. Just a reminder. (But while you're at it, fix the subs. The translation is passible, but the timing is horrendous. ) Very Happy

Iritscen wrote:
6th grade is not elementary school unless you cram K-6 into one school.

Japanese elementary schools are pretty much all 1-6. I believe Kindergartens are usually separate. Which makes sense, since it was modified to be more like the American system after WWII.

GATSU wrote:
How the hell can he be afraid of kids, when half the stuff he loves was made for kids?!

Besides Dr. Seuss, many famous kids' content creators are terrible with actual kids. Miyazaki and Roald Dahl are two that come to mind immediately.

Honestly, at about 12 years old, I think I'd rather have my kids watching Eva than half the crap on TV these days. Then again, it's probably a good thing I don't have children (yet).

Ranmah wrote:
The "tap" is called a "Peg Bar." It's called "Registration Marks" no "holes." Sorry for being nit-picky. I've studied animation.

And I clearly haven't! "Tap" is what the show's translation called it, so I didn't think twice about it. Registration marks can mean almost anything (including the colored crossbar on the side flaps of boxes of cereal), so I thought the holes part was important.
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I really want to see this, because I worship and idolize Anno... I want to be just like him when I grow up...
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
If there was ever a chance to see this personally, I would jump at it without a thought.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I disliked Eva before, I dislike it now. Honestly, I really only read this to find out about old anime, couldn't you have covered an anime too, like when you did silk road and LTCLTW? Sorry, but I love this column and it's infrequent as it is, some actual anime coverage would be great.
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This column was rather amusing -- I just wish I could see the actual footage. Sigh.
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
Maybe I should encode this thing so others can check it out since it is pretty unique? Razz

If you do, don't post a torrent link here. Just a reminder.

Why not? Sad
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
(Gerald)

I actually have a copy of this sitting around and it was certainly VERY weird.

If it's handy enough, could you indicate which issue that DVD came with? I've got a couple of the early issues, but if it's from a later one, then I won't bother trying to dig through my old anime magazines.

Thanks... ^_^;
Dark Mysty

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Now I want to kick myself for not buying AnimePlay when it was out in stores. This is my favorite Buried Treasure column so far. I'm really interested in watching this.
virtuoussin13

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
(Gerald)

I actually have a copy of this sitting around and it was certainly VERY weird. Especially since it's obvious that NHK didn't really know what they were getting into when they asked him to do this. There are times when the female announcer makes some comments like "What a strange thing for a grown man to do?".

It was pretty eye opening and it shows just how strange and complex a guy Anno is, I also seem to remember him having a major problem relating to the kids except for this one little girl who seemed to be a Kamen Rider or Ultraman fan, with whom he seemed engaged in rather in depth discussion of.

You must do so for great justice!!!
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:

If you do, don't post a torrent link here. Just a reminder.

Why not? Sad

Simply put, unauthorized torrent links are banned from the forums. Check out this thread for any more info.
karenai_hana

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
@ Ingraman:
It was the July 2003 issue with Stellvia on the cover.
10円

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Excellent and interesting article. Why don't anime DVD's come with original and entertaining clips like this as extras instead of the same old tired junk they usually throw in there? The only anime magazine I ever tried was New Type. I ordered for a year but didn't really get anything out of it and just gave them all away. I guess we'll have to start searching for "Hideaki Anno NHK" over and over again until it shows up god only knows where.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6