• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokitty

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Anno is right, children can be pretty scary -- they can see right through the fronts that grown ups sometimes try to put on. I can see how for someone with little confidence and a poor self-image that would be terrifying.

But, when they're not busy sensing how you really feel about things, it's hard not to smile at them. It's too bad this is so rare, it sounds fantastic seeing someone like him realize this.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
That's nice. He manages to receive his therapy. That doesn't mean that I've changed my opinion of the guy.

Anime, as with everything else, is not something that should be done by the depressed. As a matter of fact, I bet that he could make a lot more money as a painter or background artist than somebody in charge of making anime.

Recreating the essence of industrial visual with nightmarish percission... The timely and hand-made takings of chemicals plooming from smokestacks and chemically stained telephone polls that hang their cables so saddenly...

Anno should've been the prince of industrial gothic noir as oppose to some smuck in the industry who took five harsh criticisms too many.
HarlockHero

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
I chose the name because it sounds complicated.

I told you all he just picks and chooses that crap at random.

I know you're probably just joking, but I was actually thinking about this just the other day:

It's not so much that the religious imagery and symbols in Evangelion are "chosen at random", but nor is it that there's a concrete interpretation of them possible to the viewer. The point, I realized after ten years, is that they're meaningful to Anno in a particular way that no one else can possibly understand, and that this is probably a deliberate restatement of the entire theme of the show: that complete understanding of one another isn't possible, but as sad or painful as that might be, if the world were otherwise and we went around "breaking through each other's AT fields" (so to speak, penetrating all defenses and obfuscation), it would be tantamount to the loss of individuality altogether (the Human Instrumentality Project).

I'm not sure if Anno consciously chose to do that or not, but either way when the revelation hit me, it almost doubled my liking for the show. Maybe one day soon I'll rewatch it for the 4000th time...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I didn't even know kids in Japan watched Eva. I always thought it was more for older fans. Shocked I guess you learn something new everyday.

Depends I guess. There's probably kids watching AKira these days, because both these titles are well known and pretty much mainstream, unlike certain anime that goes during the late hours of the night.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Well I disliked Eva before, I dislike it now. Honestly, I really only read this to find out about old anime, couldn't you have covered an anime too, like when you did silk road and LTCLTW? Sorry, but I love this column and it's infrequent as it is, some actual anime coverage would be great.

I can see your point. I'm not much of either an Eva fan or an Anno fan. When I read Justin's opening paragraph, I thought "Oh, jeez, more fanboy gushing over Anno Hideaki..." but by the end, I really thought Justin brought it all together by talking about Anno's eccentric (by Japanese standards) personality and relating it back to some of his actual works and it was really a worthwhile read, even for a non-fan.

Even if Evangelion isn't a buried treasure itself, with as much attention as it gets and the amount of attention as Anno gets as some sort of genius, a piece like this that can provide a little more insight isn't a bad thing. It's not something that can be applied to every director nor can it even be applied to all of Anno's work (I'm a much bigger GunBuster fan and think it is a much better work).

I personally like reading the article for Justin's side notes, like his commentary on the Silk Road documentary or about the To-Y Restoration Group, or another perspective on an old title I'd forgotten (after reading the Robot Carnival one, I realized my distaste for it when I originally saw it a decade ago may just have been an age thing and I might appreciate it now). But to have such an unknown yet intimate glimpse into one of those figures in the industry whose name is dropped so much, I still enjoyed this article.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Anime, as with everything else, is not something that should be done by the depressed.
So, only happy people can do something with their lives? Rolling Eyes I certainly hope that you aren't a therapist.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Anime...is not something that should be done by the depressed.

Oh, I strongly disagree. People who live in interesting times or with serious disorders tend to be the most creative in my view. Even though NGE was hardly my kind of series, it was a title that I still felt compelled to watch and reflect upon. It's one of those anime series that's almost a required belt notch for serious fans to digest before they can truly understand the full spectrum of the medium.

Kouji wrote:
So, only happy people can do something with their lives? I certainly hope that you aren't a therapist.

Heh, I recently got myself into trouble for suggesting that chronically depressed people should try to address their problems before attempting to seek out a new romantic interest. Maybe I'm way off base with this, but why would anyone want to hook up with somebody who can't manage to break out of their own internal dramas?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
karenai_hana wrote:
@ Ingraman:
It was the July 2003 issue with Stellvia on the cover.

Well, I dug through the shelf that I keep my old (and dismembered) anime magazines on, and found that I've got AnimePlay issues 1 and 2. Stellvia is on #1. Yay! I've got the video! ^_^

Yeah, the subtitling leaves a little to be desired. ^_^; I'll (?re-)watch it tonight.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Kids' anime is not something that should be done by the depressed.

There, fixed it.

And you're lucky Picasso wasn't around to hear you say that "as with everything else" part. He would have stabbed you with the handle of his paintbrush. And Van Gogh would have cried and cut off his other ear. The list goes on but I don't have the time to type it out here.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
It's not Anno's depression which made Evangelion so annoying. It's his conceit towards the audience.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
That was a really touching segment. Now it makes me want to see the feature myself. It would be cool if something like this were to pop up again like a bio tribute celebrating his years a famous director. Maybe it will happen if they do a retrospective on him. Something like this would be good for a library's video collection.

I always enjoy reading stuff like this. I often wondered what the man behind 'EVA' was all about. And again you can see much of his persona in 'EVA'. It really gives you a whole new perspective on things.

Thanks so much for putting up this great article. Smile
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I chose the name because it sounds complicated.

I told you all he just picks and chooses that crap at random.

I know you're probably just joking, but I was actually thinking about this just the other day:

It's not so much that the religious imagery and symbols in Evangelion are "chosen at random", but nor is it that there's a concrete interpretation of them possible to the viewer. The point, I realized after ten years, is that they're meaningful to Anno in a particular way that no one else can possibly understand, and that this is probably a deliberate restatement of the entire theme of the show: that complete understanding of one another isn't possible, but as sad or painful as that might be, if the world were otherwise and we went around "breaking through each other's AT fields" (so to speak, penetrating all defenses and obfuscation), it would be tantamount to the loss of individuality altogether (the Human Instrumentality Project).

I'm not sure if Anno consciously chose to do that or not, but either way when the revelation hit me, it almost doubled my liking for the show. Maybe one day soon I'll rewatch it for the 4000th time...

Actually, I think he really does make it all up as he goes along, he strikes me as someone who's deluded themself into a sense of being incomplete as an individual, plus he's a misogynist, if he'd drop that he'd be happier, or at least a more decent person.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
"Kids' anime is not something that should be done by the depressed." There, fixed it.

And you're lucky Picasso wasn't around to hear you say that "as with everything else" part. He would have stabbed you with the handle of his paintbrush. And Van Gogh would have cried and cut off his other ear. The list goes on but I don't have the time to type it out here.

Picasso. Van Gogh. Anno would've been the 3rd of famous painters.

But yeah. Mental Disability. It's mainly the ideas of what to deal with it and how to overcome it. And last I checked; there are people in this world who are doing fine with their mental disabilities placed in check.

It's a sign of weakness when one refuses to deal with one's own mental problems. And, as one of the forefront creators of anime, Anno's therapy came a decade too late.
bcbenn

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Two unrelated observations:

1) Anno's T-shirt was not easily acquired; it commemorates the JOIDES Deep Sea Ocean Drilling Project that began in the 1960's with the Glomar Challenger (sister ship to a famous CIA ocean wreckage recovery vessel) and continuing into this century with other ships.

2) I think I know one common reason many people dislike NGE, regardless of how well it was done, how good it was, or what the story meant to Anno:

Orson Scott Card suggested that storytellers should start their stories within a framework that tells the audience what type of story they will get and then stay true to the story type they expect. When an author changes the story type it may be unacceptable to many in the audience regardless of how well-done either part of the author's work is done.

In the case of NGE, the story began quite conventionally as an action-adventure teenage power fantasy: a tiny group of teenagers with special powers will save the world from powerful, cruel and incomprehensible enemies. In fairness there is much effort to draw characters and relationships from the beginning, but the emphasis remains on what seem to be giant robots controlled by the teens that save the world by fighting physical enemies, one after another.

THEN, the story line veers into uncharted territory attempting to plumb the psyches of these special children and the nature of the human mind. Whether it's done well or ill is not the point; a psychodrama was not what most viewers were expecting based on the beginning of the story and this change in story type is not acceptable to many in the audience.

Personally, I liked NGE pretty well except for the incomprehensible last two episodes of the TV show; End of Evangelion answered most of the pressing questions of 'how and why' (except what happens after the final scene).

As an American non-Japanese speaker and as a Christian I also see many profound differences related to language, philosophy, culture and religion that could easily account for why I did not understand this or that part of the story, and I accept the fact I shouldn't judge the quality of things I don't understand. I wish more forum flamers would accept that as well.

It seems to me that something by Japanese that is popular in Japan can't be really awful, regardless of my personal tastes.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Maybe I'm way off base with this, but why would anyone want to hook up with somebody who can't manage to break out of their own internal dramas?
Maybe because love is a feeling that's unconditional? But I forgot that we live in a society where caring about someone unless you get something out of it is old fashioned.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6