• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Offer Death Note Downloads via Direct2Drive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Ah ok. That makes me feel so much better. Thanks guys.

Don't worry the anime community has got your back.... Very Happy

In other news after checking out most of the downloads offered through Direct2Drive older stuff (astro boy) was a $1.99 and the newer stuff (GITS:SAC) per episode was $3.99 which is right on that line of where it's an impulse buy much like the games/TV shows on Xbox live marketplace. I think that it would of been really cool if Death Note had been available via XBL, but Direct2Drive is a start. Also with Viz releasing this series I am sure that the DVD's won't have more then 4 episodes per disc if it even has that. So at four dollars an episode it's not all that bad, all those $3 would be the sweet spot.
adonais

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Sylphiel wrote:
rhondavb wrote:
I can't be the only bummed out Mac user.

No, you're not the only one. But like you said we're definitely the minority here. I can't say I'm surprised.

Well I'm out too then.....and I was actually looking forward to this.

(Unless it'll work under Parallels Desktop? Hmmmm will have to try!)
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Kinda sucks that you cant burn a DVD from it, especially since you are paying the same price for a DVD as you do for the download. Well maybe one day they will get their act together and offer the DVD burning, but it is an alternative for many people that have problems getting anime locally and dont want to buy online.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
adonais wrote:
Sylphiel wrote:
rhondavb wrote:
I can't be the only bummed out Mac user.

No, you're not the only one. But like you said we're definitely the minority here. I can't say I'm surprised.

Well I'm out too then.....and I was actually looking forward to this.

(Unless it'll work under Parallels Desktop? Hmmmm will have to try!)

You should be able to run DirectX games under Parallels - so give it a try - it should work just fine!
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Nifty! I don't support digital download with DRM, but this is a good step in the right direction.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I was actually looking forward to the download thing, but at this point I 'd rather have the news on when the DVDs will be released. I mean I may but probably will not buy the later episodes I haven't seen from the download thing when they come out, but just looking at that site gives me a headache because of the potential hassles. And I'm a windows user.
DKong

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I was really excited when they announced this....about 2-3 months ago/15 eps ago.

I don't really understand it. How long does it really take to set up this service and the subs? Obviously fansub groups can get eps up really fast, so I'd assume a pro group can do it just as fast, so I assume that it's just the issue of setting up the service.
But hell, wouldn't you think they'd wait to announce it til they were a little closer to setting up the service?

Anyways, if this show really does only go for 37 eps (and judging by how they just introduced a new plotline, I kinda sorta doubt it), this is basically too little too late. You'd just be best of waiting for the DVDs at this point.

But who knows, maybe this will go a full 52 eps? If that's the case than it's really not too little too late....
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Novel idea in concept, but personally, I'd rather own physical copies in case horrible things happen to my PC (and force me to buy them again).

I do see the use of DRM causing some technical nightmares down the road though...
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was looking for this announcement about three months ago. Basically, the very thing they were trying to do is cash in on the fansub crowd that doesn't want to wait a year to watch the anime. However, we're already 30 episodes behind. It seems kinda pointless now.
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
DKong wrote:
I don't really understand it. How long does it really take to set up this service and the subs? Obviously fansub groups can get eps up really fast, so I'd assume a pro group can do it just as fast, so I assume that it's just the issue of setting up the service.

A professional translator could translate episodes as quickly as a fansub group...at the cost of sacrificing the research, double-checking and attention to detail that's supposed to be part of doing a professional job. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for...would anyone really want to pay money for something as sloppy as the average insta-sub?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A professional translator could translate episodes as quickly as a fansub group...at the cost of sacrificing the research, double-checking and attention to detail that's supposed to be part of doing a professional job. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for...would anyone really want to pay money for something as sloppy as the average insta-sub?

Sure, when compared to the quality of the average "1+ year later" sub, why not? Maybe they have the occasional mis-spelled word here or there, but that's nothing when faced with a difference of many months between the two. Not to mention that when a fansub does have errors in it, they usually correct them with a second release, and that second release STILL comes out about a year ahead of the official release. And still free!

There's absolutely no amount of research, double-checking or attention to detail that could make up the difference there, it's not as if we're talking about bad Chinese bootleg subs here. All you're doing is comparing a $50 steak that costs $50 and you have to wait three hours for, vs. a $45 steak that they can have ready for you in fifteen minutes, and they'll comp you on it. Either way, it's damned good steak.
10円

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually like the idea of unpackaged media more and more these days, but these folks need to make it more cost effective and easier to use and transfer for the consumer who buys it. Hopefully it wont be too much longer. EMI seems to have the right idea and iTunes finally started offering non-DRM options for other vendors to choose. I guess we'll just have to see where it goes from here.

Ohoni wrote:
All you're doing is comparing a $50 steak that costs $50 and you have to wait three hours for, vs. a $45 steak that they can have ready for you in fifteen minutes, and they'll comp you on it. Either way, it's damned good steak.

It's not really a "comp" if they never owned it in the first place, now is it? If you're going to bring it up, at least use a proper metaphor and not some pointless euphemism.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
DKong wrote:

I was thinking (excuse me if I seem a bit rambly, I took some pain meds today)...

now, if a company was willing to offer quick downloads of an anime subbed they could release an initial "professional fansub" version for download then offer the actual professionally done sub on the DVD. that way the fans could get their quick release AND the DVD at least could contain a professionally done translation. it seems to be a viable idea to me, provided the creation of the "professional fansub" version didn't take too much time away from the fully professional DVD release and enough people bought the "professional fansubs."
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not really a "comp" if they never owned it in the first place, now is it?

Irrelevant.

Quote:
If you're going to bring it up, at least use a proper metaphor and not some pointless euphemism.

It was, you just don't like it.
10円

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
It's not really a "comp" if they never owned it in the first place, now is it?

Irrelevant.

Quote:
If you're going to bring it up, at least use a proper metaphor and not some pointless euphemism.

It was, you just don't like it.

Seriously Ohoni, you might as well stop trying to bullshit your way through life, you're obviously not very good at it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3