• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon to Sell The Story of Saiunkoku DVD on August 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Heck yes. I love Saiunkoku.

But that's going to be a bugger to translate, I fear. I hope they keep more Chinese terms rather than trying to translate or keep the Japanese term (can you imagine them translating erhu as "two string violin" or something?)

I'm sure there will be an accurate sub along with a dub....certainly something will be changed to make some sense but I am sure the original intend of the story shall be the same. Twelve Kingdom had a lot of dialog and that turned out pretty good, I enjoyed both the dub and sub for 12K.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
jetz wrote:
I also thought it was a Fushigi Yuugi copy so I didn't want to watch it at first (nothing can replace Fushigi Yuugi..) but my friend kept forcing me to watch it. It turned out to be really interesting, and the only thing that's similar between the two series is the ancient china setting.

Well, if you, you FY fangirl you, enjoyed this series, then I know I'll enjoy it.

Laughing Can't say I liked it as much as FY though. I still prefer Nuriko over Seiran Laughing Although, Shuurei is a lot more likable than Miaka. They look similar, but Shuurei's packed with more brains and courage.

Well, thanks for some clues. I'm really looking forward to it.

Do you think that Angelique may have a chance? I read about that one too and it also looks interesting to me.
mizducky

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Does it matter if it's Ocean? Canadians live in North America, too. I had no problem with the Samurai Horror title when I watched it last week. Yeah, Miroku & Kikyo sprang to mind, but it was enjoyable. Lame excuse/ I always figure whether the dub is messed up or not, one can always do subtitled so it's no loss. There are far worse dubs handled by American groups than stuff one hears out of Ocean.

I meant that Geneon is having dubs done outside of North America. Ocean Studios usually does good work so if they got Saiunkoku then I would be pretty content.

But since there is NO DATA on which studio is getting it there is no way to know if it will be produced in North America or over the ocean to the west. (and since the ones that are done over seas have no credits, I can't even be sure exactly Where they are being done)

See Rozen Maiden has a list of English Staff, English Cast, and tells which studio handled the dub.
anime#4463

However Zipang only says that Geneon got the title. There is no mention of the English staff or cast, let alone the name of the studio.
anime#4649
domino

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Do you think that Angelique may have a chance? I read about that one too and it also looks interesting to me.

The only mention of Angelique licensing I've read about was a small article in NewType USA a long time ago that said they were "considering" it if it got enough support. Foreign Angelique fans tend to be few and widely scattered, so my guess was that they just didn't think it would be popular enough to license. Maybe you should write to NewType USA about it and ask about where that idea came from and went. Razz

And unlike Saiunkoku, Angelique is based on a video game. Enjoyment of the Angelique manga/anime will probably triple based on the viewer's knowledge of the games, so my bet is that unless someone releases a translation of one or more of the Angelique games, chances of seeing the Angelique manga/anime licensed are fairly low.

But they DID license the manga for Angelique's game-based "sister-series", La Corda d'Oro, so you never know...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

The only mention of Angelique licensing I've read about was a small article in NewType USA a long time ago that said they were "considering" it if it got enough support. Foreign Angelique fans tend to be few and widely scattered, so my guess was that they just didn't think it would be popular enough to license. Maybe you should write to NewType USA about it and ask about where that idea came from and went. Razz

And unlike Saiunkoku, Angelique is based on a video game. Enjoyment of the Angelique manga/anime will probably triple based on the viewer's knowledge of the games, so my bet is that unless someone releases a translation of one or more of the Angelique games, chances of seeing the Angelique manga/anime licensed are fairly low.

But they DID license the manga for Angelique's game-based "sister-series", La Corda d'Oro, so you never know...

Thanks for the info.
JediJaina

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
JediJaina wrote:
Anyone want to take a shot at English VA dub casting?

If they just listenced it then they probably don't have the actors yet. They probabaly put out the audition notices out, but I don't think they have decided on the cast.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I was implying about who we would want cast in the dub in certain roles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3