• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-05-04]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Ama no Kagaseo wrote:
I did not say all views are equal, nor did I say that they are equally as valid. What I did say that all opinions do have even the tiniest grain of truth to them, and that cannot be overlooked. It's not complete true, or even close. But it's never completely false, unless it is indeed obviously so. Like saying "I think sand tastes like hamburgers."

]And I repeat, until you can PROVE otherwise, your view is FALSE, if you choose to return feel free to offer ANY proof that your view is true
Quote:

How does 'passive' equate to unrealistic? I, myself, am a passive person unless I am debating.

You said, and I quote "You, yourself, stated that her passive nature was an aspect of her personality. Enough said. This aspect, and the degree that is shown, proves that Belldandy is an unrealistic character." It was YOUR opinion that her passivity makes her unrealistic, not mine
Quote:
Belldandy would be better described as 'unhealthy' rather than unrealistic.

]And I say again, if you are going to make such a claim, please offer PROOF, or an EXAMPLE. I'm tired of arguing with an ephemeral "concept" that is just your gut feeling with absolutely no support besides how you feel. Maybe I feel arguing a point that you have no support for or profess little interest in as an unhealthy OCD
Quote:
Who is more understanding in this case? Out of the two of us? Yes, you are. But what I aimed to do is point out other aspects that you might not have thought of, because you are so absorbed in the series. This was not the point, however. What you did do is throw our opinion out the window [Called it wrong.] Because you have the superior knowledge, which isn't right. We are not wrong, but neither are you.

As I have maintained EVERY step of the way, I have FULLY listened to and understood your point, I have even CLARIFIED it for you, and you continue to ignore MY opinion. You are instead assuming that "we're all winners" and ignoring my point since it is not in agreement with your assesment. Please give me ANY evidence that you have either understood MY point OR even can support your OWN point and I'll be happy to discuss those points further.
Quote:

To my knowledge, that's not the point of debate. It's to come to a common understanding of the subject matter, and each person's respective opinions. Not to say "You're wrong and I'm right."

The point of a debate is to convince people of the merits of your argument, either each other or the "audience", otherwise why is a debate structured to settle two opposing opinions. A court case is a debate. Election debates are intended to convince the voters that one person is right or wrong. A DISCUSSION or a COMPROMISE or even a NEGOTIATION is talking with the intent to find common ground. A DEBATE is a comparison of opposing viewpoints

Quote:
Since you said any general piece of fiction for example, let's take Sango and Miroku. I hate Inu-Yasha to death, but this is a good example of a pair who is not entirely passive towards one another. Sure, yeah, they're not exactly the leads yet at the same time Sango is more than willing to try to take Miroku away from his lecherous ways. Miroku, on the other hand, does do his best to become closer with Sango.

As you yourself said, Sango & Miroko are not the leads. Urd, Skuld, & Chihiro are not remotely "passive" characters, but they're not the "primary" characters either. I also never claimed all fiction highlights the PASSIVE trait, I say they all expand on some trait. I would argue that Miroku's lecherousness is ridiculously exagerrated, do you know ANYONE that is that brash and blatant? further, I would say while Sango may not be "passive" she is certainly "forgiving" to a frightening degree. Or do you think it'd be "good" for a woman to stick with a man who is so obviously cheating so consistently, as Sango is with Miroku. I'd say the women who think they can "fix" or "change" a man like that lead to too many divorces.

Quote:
they are a very realistic couple in my mind. This is something that is not shared with Keiichi and Belldandy. HOWEVER, this may just be my own personal taste. I dislike the genre OMG falls under because I like realistic love stories. Not such idealized fiction as OMG.

I should also point out that Belldandy CAN and DOES get jealous, but in fact, most EVERY character (starting with Keiichi and ending with pretty much anyone else including Welsper who is a demon who loves Belldandy and sees Keiichi as a rival) KNOWS that it is very BAD for someone as powerful as Belldandy to get angry and/or jealous so they ALL often go to GREAT pains to keep that from happening. So assuming that she is just some "doormat" character who is incapable of such a state ignores much of the underpinning motivations of various actions in the series.

Quote:
Long story short I'll admit, and accept my short-comings in this debate and step down so that, if they like, someone more knowledgeable than I can properly argue this side of the debate.

Feel free.

[Please don't abuse the text resizing tags, there's very little point in writing a post if you're going to write it all in a font size so small it can't even be read. -Keonyn]

Last edited by HeeroTX on Wed May 09, 2007 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Ama no Kagaseo wrote:
I did not say all views are equal, nor did I say that they are equally as valid. What I did say that all opinions do have even the tiniest grain of truth to them, and that cannot be overlooked. It's not complete true, or even close. But it's never completely false, unless it is indeed obviously so. Like saying "I think sand tastes like hamburgers."

]And I repeat, until you can PROVE otherwise, your view is FALSE, if you choose to return feel free to offer ANY proof that your view is true
Quote:

How does 'passive' equate to unrealistic? I, myself, am a passive person unless I am debating.

You said, and I quote "You, yourself, stated that her passive nature was an aspect of her personality. Enough said. This aspect, and the degree that is shown, proves that Belldandy is an unrealistic character." It was YOUR opinion that her passivity makes her unrealistic, not mine
Quote:
Belldandy would be better described as 'unhealthy' rather than unrealistic.

]And I say again, if you are going to make such a claim, please offer PROOF, or an EXAMPLE. I'm tired of arguing with an ephemeral "concept" that is just your gut feeling with absolutely no support besides how you feel. Maybe I feel arguing a point that you have no support for or profess little interest in as an unhealthy OCD

All I have to say is that Bell's, or any other character, that is this passive is UNHEALTHY but NOT UNREALISTIC. Anyone who thinks her character's extreme passiveness does not exist in some women, and men, is a flaming moron. Maybe I'm simply in the correct field of study, Criminal Justice, to have first hand proof of this but I assure you there are people like her. Just because you have never seen someone like that does not make them unrealistic. I have seen countless examples of women, and men as well though to a much smaller degree, who are beaten, raped, taken advantage of, and completely humiliated who stay by their significant other. Hell, many even blame THEMSELVES for the whole deal. There are also countless women like Bell who live to serve. Granted, that's an aspect more from the 60's and before and the amount of women like that now is greatly reduced. However, Belldandy's character type IS realistic to a certain amount of women out there. It is certainly UNHEALTHY but by no means unrealistic. The one point I've made before that I will reiterate to avoid confusion is the fact that she is by no means the PERFECT WOMAN. While her character is realistic it is not healthy, nor an example of the perfect woman. If anyone wants to argue with me go to your local library, or better yet campus law library if you have one, and look up domestic cases. Then you can see for yourself. Call your local police department and ask them, tell them it's for some school project. They can at least tell you where to get the info.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Regarding my font size tags, I figured Ama wanted to discuss at that level since he was the one who posted at that, can his post get editted accordingly also? Basically he chose instead to "concede" the argument while basically arguing and taking practical potshots in an incredibly small font. Rather than subject people to my opinions without the benefit of context, I just figured I'd respond accordingly. (altho it did look ugly)

psycho: while I understand an "in the real world" agree with your point, I have a request for anyone who wants to stress the point of Belldandy's "passivity". Having argued at length about a myriad of topics that basically amount to "I think X, you think Y", can someone please give me context for that opinion and point out examples of behavior that they are using for their argument? I think people are ascribing some level of problem to her based on ... what? one, or two scenes in the OVAs?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Steroid wrote:
la_contessa wrote:
I don't understand how you can make this argument but still think reading the manga for free in a bookstore (manga rental services and libraries are completely different--the volumes are paid for, and the reader has certain costs to pay as well, such as longer waits for new volumes or membership fees) isn't economically hurting anyone. You understand that costs have already been put into the manga--artistic talent and time, licensing fees, translation time, binding time, etc. You understand that if you take someone's time, you should pay for it. I am at a loss to understand your "you only should pay for these costs if you take it home" argument, though.

I will try to help. Everything except the paper and binding time and such are fixed costs. The artistic time, translation, etc., are the same for a million-run manga or a ten-thousand-run one. So if all I'm doing is reading it, then I'm just taking from the fixed-cost side of the ledger. If I actually take the manga home and take ownership of it, then I've affected the variable-cost side. It seems to me that if all I want to do is read, then I should be able to do so at a fixed price. If I want to own, then I should have to pay a variable price.

Quote:
A reader benefits from manga through READING, not through owning. Assuming that the benefit is what one should pay for, the people sitting on the floor in Borders SHOULD pay for it, because they are reading (i.e. getting the benefit).

A) That's rather up to Borders, isn't it? They're the owners of the manga. If allowing manga cows boosts their sales or keeps their customers happy, it's not the manga printers' business. B) If it's the reading that's the point of benefit, shouldn't we have to pay every time we read our manga?

Ok, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in quite a while. Even without getting into the economics of it, basic common sense should be enough to show that you're wrong. But I'll do my best.
That's our Steroid. One of the best cack merchants on the internet. He just doesn't seem to get out much so better to save your breath to cool your porridge. Wink
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I was reading this over, and I don't really think Belldandy is quite as passive as people think she is. For a good "1950s housewife" passive, check out Akari from To Heart. I think Belldandy, being a goddess and due to her personality, is naturally calm and relaxed. Therefore, she doesn't fly off the handle every 3 seconds like someone like Naru from Love Hina or Akane from Ranma. Personally, I think those types of characters get annoying quickly, so I like having a Belldandy around from time to time. Even an Akari.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Parvati-IV wrote:
I was reading this over, and I don't really think Belldandy is quite as passive as people think she is. For a good "1950s housewife" passive, check out Akari from To Heart. I think Belldandy, being a goddess and due to her personality, is naturally calm and relaxed. Therefore, she doesn't fly off the handle every 3 seconds like someone like Naru from Love Hina or Akane from Ranma. Personally, I think those types of characters get annoying quickly, so I like having a Belldandy around from time to time. Even an Akari.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Belldandy too. Spastic short-tempered characters are only fun in small doses; it's relaxing to watch Belldandy just being calm and collected and not having an attitude problem every five minutes.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The rant for this column was so good, I want to respond practically line by line.

Jeremy Roman wrote:

I have to wonder at the state of otakudom these days. As members of a rapidly growing minority group, many of my fellow anime fans have given in to the persecution complex, and have taken to feeling as if everyone is out to get them. These complaints run the gamut of scale and importance.

Oh thank god. You noticed it too, huh?

Quote:

I was miffed myself when there was no anime on April Fools (replaced with a badly "fansubbed" block of Perfect Hair Forever). However, the reactions like those I read on the ANN message boards were just insane. People were asking extremely asinine questions like, "Why is it that they cut out the anime, but left Futurama intact?!" Simple answer: because the anime, like April 1st, started at 12:00 am. Someone responded to that logic saying, "No, they both started before midnight." Simple answer: 12:00 am Eastern Standard Time. I always imagined that my fellow otaku would be able to understand the simple concepts of time zones and when a day officially starts. However, logic was further ignored, with people being convinced that they were specifically targeted by Adult Swim (who, if one pays attention, makes fun of everyone who watches Adult Swim).

I'm glad I wasn't visting any anime forums around that time.

Now I was certainly a little annoyed to find that instead of recording a Big O episode that I hadn't seen yet, my DVR had recorded something else. But, am I the only person who thought that the "Fansub" version of Perfect Hair Forever was actually an improvement and made it ten times funnier? I watched the whole, drug-induced half-hour, even though I had been expecting Big O to be the recording. It was amusing. Granted, I'm glad I wasn't taping anything else that night on Adult Swim because I wouldn't have wanted to see more than a half hour of it (it gets old fast. REALLY fast.), but the "fansubs" were amusing, and I actually laughed a couple of times for a change.

Hell, who here thinks all that many non-anime fans would even get the joke of reformatting the show - which is already a parody of cheesy shounen action-adventure shows - to look like a fourth-generation poor-quality VHS anime fansub? VHS lines and all! The joke was certainly aimed at us, but it's aimed at us because we'd get the joke.

Besides, I was talking a friend of mine about that who watches Adult Swim much more often than me, and he said "Oh yeah, any time April Fools falls on a night they're airing, they've done something goofy and pranked the viewers a little to celebrate." In other words, they do this to their entire audience every single time April Fools comes around.

And how could such people only notice the Saturday anime block's April Fools Day treatment? What about Sunday's prank on Aqua Teen Hunger Force fans? Running a marathon-length joke that only anime fans would really "get", is mean and insulting, but that wasn't also mean and insulting? Or is it only tolerable to prank non-anime fans? That's such a load of hypocritical, near-sighted you-know-what!

Quote:

On a much smaller scale (and getting off the Adult Swim topic), I got an earful from a young girl the other day in the manga section of my public library. Apparently, some titles had recently been removed. I took a look, and, indeed, some titles were missing. These included Planet ES, Inu-Yasha, and Ai Yori Aoshi. The manga section is located on the same block of shelves as the Young Adult (i.e. 13 – 17 year old) literature. The titles that had been removed contain nudity (and in the case of the last two, underage nudity). When I pointed this out to the girl, she ignored me, and insisted that anime fans themselves were being specifically targeted. My response was simple, "Why, then, didn't they remove all the manga?" She said that it was only a matter of time before all anime and manga were banned in the United States. I grabbed Karekano and got out of there.

Only in an Ayn Randian anti-Objectivist nightmare scenario would anime and manga get "banned" in America. My reaction to that kid would have been more along the lines of: "What kinda crazy anti-Capitilist country are YOU living in, kid? The naughty stuff might get censored out, but if you honestly think companies like Warner Bros., ADV Films, DC Comics and Marvel are all going to let the government step in and ban a fairly profitable set of imports grabbing the very lucrative kid and teen markets, you are a much bigger idiot than you look."

Banning all anime and manga! Ha! Kids these days...

Quote:

By a strange twist of fate, I saw this girl again today at the mall looking at the meager manga selection at Suncoast. Again she went on about how the manga section was too small. I told her that the nearby Borders had a huge manga selection, but she insisted that she shouldn't have to go to another store to buy manga.

Exclamation Question Exclamation

Wait, wait... Laughing let me get this straight.... she went into a Suncoast... whose main business is DVD sales... who aims themselves mainly at movie and TV show markets...

...and she expected there to be more graphic novels there...

...than at a bookstore?

Oh... Laughing my... Laughing GOD. Laughing Exclamation People are stupid sometimes, honestly.

My reaction would have been to tell her what I just posted, minus so many pregnant, dramatically credulous "..."s.

"Honey, you don't go shopping for groceries at Best Buy or Radio Shack too, do you? Because that would make just about as much sense as complaining about the book selection at a store that isn't, you know, a BOOKSTORE."

Laughing Honestly, kids these days...

Quote:

This is a problem that only serves to hurt otakudom as a whole. When people start feeling as if everyone is out to get them, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. By opening their mouths (or posting online) without asking if there is a logical explanation and just assuming that they are a target, they only serve to reinforce a negative perception of anime fans. This makes people more apt to make fun of anime fans. We are in a very precarious place right now. With the popularity of anime growing, we are in the position to become a major part of the mainstream. However, if we appear to be an ungrateful group who play the victim at the drop of a hat, we only make it that much easier for people to insult us. Maybe people have forgotten that there was a time when we did not enjoy anime on TV every night, or when the library did not even have a manga section, or when mainstream bookstores didn't have an eighth of their floor space in the front of the store devoted to anime and manga (that's about the size of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section at the Borders I mentioned).

We are not being persecuted, we are on the rise, but only as long as we don't give people an excuse to dislike us.

Amen! Sing it, brother!

We live in a capitilist society. Whenever I find that something I'm looking for isn't on the shelves, I don't assume the stance of victim being "victimized" by the companies. I assume that either the store owner/marketing director figures it won't sell well, they don't know it exists, don't consider it their primary business, or, you know, they're just out of stock.

Personally, I much prefer actual bookstores above places like Suncoast, but that could just be because our only Suncoast was in the local mall and therefore usually overpriced, while I can get 10% off at Branes & Noble due to my family's geeky nature leading to us having the membership, or 20% or more off if I buy a whole bunch at once at Anime Pavilion, whose local branch's main business seems to be comic 'zines and graphic novels anyway. Very Happy That, and I know AP will eventually get it in stock and Barnes & Noble can order anything it wants so long as it's still in print (or even just in stock with the publisher for that matter; I still remember ordering Evangelion vol. 2 or 3, and when it came in it wasn't one of the newer, smaller, Tokyopop-size graphic novels, it was one of the old style $16 ones with larger pages. I could have complained I suppose, but I wasn't sure it was actually out in the smaller size yet then, and besides, that artwork is good enough that I gladly paid the extra $6. Well, the extra $5.73 at any rate, gotta figure in that discount and sales tax after all...).

Honestly, the chick shoulda just gone to an actual bookstore. I would. I don't think I've ever bought a manga title at Suncoast, even though I occasionally used to buy Animerica there, before it turned into a crappy free publication put out by Best Buy. Confused Am I the only one who misses their old format, especially before they changed designers and started going to an all-white background layout? They had some real eye candy layouts, that was half the reason I used to buy it. I still have those old issues for just that reason, even though most of the information is way out of date by now... Anime Insider is OK for some basic info on stuff like new series and some funny extras (like the Death of the Month thing), but honestly it's just not the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14