• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
bad grammar on the boards...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:20 am Reply with quote
okay, so it's been suggested that some netslang shorthand should be considered "censorable" and fix them with proper grammatical structures.

i'm considering adding these to the filter:

"because" --> "because"
"okay, thanks" --> "okay, thanks"
"people" --> "people"
"thanks" --> "thanks"
"you are" --> "you are"
"are you" --> "are you"
"anim" --> "anime"
"dis" --> "this"
"cool" --> "cool"
"b4" --> "before"
"because" --> "because"
"without" --> "without"
"teh" --> "the"

and possibly:
"b" --> "be"
"c" --> "see"
"r" --> "are"
"u" --> "you"

(i don't like the idea of single-character replacements; there are too many times where people actually need to type just that single character without intending for it to be distorted.)

can anyone suggest any other improvements/changes? using this means that some people's grammar will be drastically improved, but it also means that if you accidentally (or intentionally) type these, that they will be converted, and thus you'll need to break up the word with a colon or underscore or something.

I'm also thinking about adding a few japanese words that people always seem to misspell...

konnichiwa, etc -> "konnichiwa"

any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:28 am Reply with quote
How about people just learn proper grammar? ^_^

*glares at it's/its*
Delthayre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:35 am Reply with quote
I hate that it has come to this, but I think action is warranted. Certain parts of my brain outright demand it.

That list seems reasonable, the only addition might be:
"cause" --> "because"
"o" --> "oh"
"uber" --> "über"

Okay, the third one is pure pedantry on my part, but the second one is a common error that I could do without.

The Japanese words are a good idea too.

While I'm at it: Does ANN prefer any particular romanization scheme for Japanese? I learned Hepburn while studying its structure and pronounciation on my own (linguistic curiosity), but my teacher and text use a system I'm unfamiliar with. The only glaring differences that strike me off the cuff are "oo" and "ee" instead of "ou" and "ei" for those long vowels. In any case, a set of Japanese word filters would probably be nice.

Last edited by Delthayre on Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Tiresias

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:42 am Reply with quote
I don't really think you can add "cause" to the list. Unless whatever you're using also has a context setting, I don't even know if this exists, you might change cause when it didn't need to be. You know, since it's spelled the same in cause, as in "cause and effect".
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:13 am Reply with quote
I think that the one letter filter could be a bad idea, there are just to many ways that it could end up breaking something (Titles come to mind right away). Or the filter would need away of ignoreing item, ie. everything that is in tag and in quotes (""). However I think that you might be stuck with "teh", remeber Teh Rules?

Last edited by radicaledward on Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:15 am Reply with quote
^_^; I use "cause" a little too much. >.> Didn't know it annoyed people. *will try and correct herself*
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:55 am Reply with quote
I think the filters are a great idea Very Happy Especially the one letter ones...there is NEVER a reason to use one letter to shorten an entire word. Mad
But I don't think "cause" should be in there....it is a stand alone word. (I keep trying not to use it to shorten 'because')
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Delthayre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:02 am Reply with quote
Damn, right. "Cause" as in "cause of death"

Oy, I have been having a bad streak of things like this for a while now. And I keep using "here" where I want "hear".

Yeah, strike "cause" --> "because" from my list.
cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:58 am Reply with quote
Delthayre wrote:
While I'm at it: Does ANN prefer any particular romanization scheme for Japanese?

I wish! We've debated about it as we were unveiling the Encyclopedia last year. We discussed it off-and-on over the past year or so..

I think, at the very least, we should eliminate the marcons/circumflexes from the Encyclopedia... taking a step towards Hepburn Romanization.

The other half of the coin, that being Nihon-shiki, is slowly being weeded out of the encyclopedia: When I merge names in the encyclopedia, I'll merge "si" into "shi".

Quote:
The only glaring differences that strike me off the cuff are "oo" and "ee" instead of "ou" and "ei" for those long vowels.

"Sensee"? "Tookyoo"? Urk.

Still, that's better than the dynamic changes in Chinese romanization..
Peking - Peiching - Beijing
Canton - Kuangchou - Guangzhou
Taipei - Taipei - Taibei

radically different spellings, yet all referring to the same places... and all having the same pronunciation (the left is the old postal spelling, the middle is wade-giles, the right is pinyin)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:07 pm Reply with quote
the censors that have been added are these:

anim -> anime
b/c -> because
b4 -> before
cuz -> because
dont -> don't
hasnt -> hasn't
hes -> he's
i c -> i see
konichiwa -> konnichiwa
kool -> cool
kthx -> okay, thanks
ppl -> people
r u -> are you
thx -> thanks
u r -> you are
w/o -> without

users who use the former words will automatically have them adjusted to the latter word.

we can't implement single-letter replacements (u, r, etc) as that would be fairly detrimental to some types of discussion.

nonetheless, with these sorts of rules to assist newbies, we still have a requirement of decent grammar, and these rules won't fix everything.

if anyone has anything further to contribute, please mention it here, and we'll see about adding it.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:23 am Reply with quote
sup = What's up?
something* = something
please = please
what = what
thanks (Another way it is mispelled) = Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

Canton - Kuangchou - Guangzhou
Taipei - Taipei - Taibei

radically different spellings, yet all referring to the same places... and all having the same pronunciation (the left is the old postal spelling, the middle is wade-giles, the right is pinyin)...

Anime smile Actually, Canton is now Guangdong, which is next to Guangzhou, where I was born. Two different provinces, but yeah, good point about the spelling.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

i c -> i see

Ummmm... You might want to fix that...

Otherwise, this is brilliant!

Emerje
cookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Cookie wrote:

i c -> i see

Ummmm... You might want to fix that...

Er, what's wrong with this?

anywho, i added all of Hyena's entries (as i'm sure you can see now)

sup -> what's up
sumthin -> something
plz -> please
wat -> what
thanx -> thanks
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing he was saying you should make sure to capitalize the I in "I see" not "i see".
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5