• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sci Fi to Air Ghost in the Shell's Solid State Society, Noein, Tokko

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote
Well, first they need to get the necessary ratings before they do anything that risky, you know. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote
sorry but Im not familiar with the SciFi channel. Could someone tell me, is is available in Canada? Also is it part of basic cable or a specialty channel?
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Like many, I still have fond memories of the old Sci-Fi Saturday with Robot Carnival, Galaxy Express and many others that I have not had a chance to see since they stopped showing them those many years ago.

BINGO, thats what Sci-Fi needs to do with their anime block!! Mix some new with some classics. Half of the nerds here on these forums and god knows how many little snots have not had the honor of watching Robot Carnival or some of the more gritty stuff in Anime's infancy here in the states.

What the hell is Robot Carnival? Why do you guys keep bringing that up? Does it suck? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most suckiest, where would it land? I bet it's over 9000!
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
What the hell is Robot Carnival? Why do you guys keep bringing that up? Does it suck? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most suckiest, where would it land? I bet it's over 9000!

Anything I could say about Robot Carnival has already been said by a man with much better grammar and who knows what he's actually talking about. It was the first anime in the Buried Treasure column which is done by Justin Sevakis.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
I also remember way back when the Sci-fi channel showed anime. Ever since it stopped, it also stopped being a good channel. Now, maybe that will change. I'm psyched about this. But I think the best way to compete is to mirror [AS]. That is, get a show with a lot of episodes, then rotate a bunch of shows around it. And while we're at it, get those licenses renewed so we can see some of those oldies but goodies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
So SciFi has rediscovered anime. It's about time. I mean, Adult Swim weeknights only outdraws SciFi among 18-34 males by about 6 to 1. And anime has much closer ties to science fiction than pro wrestling does. It's interesting that SciFi got back into anime as part of an effort to reposition itself as a lifestyle brand. Ironically, G4 dumped anime when it decided to change from a tech/gamer channel and turn itself into a lifestyle brand.

Some concerns, though.

1. What are they expecting from anime? If SciFi is expecting anime to produce instant mega-ratings numbering millions of viewers instead of just gradual substantial ratings improvement , from under 50K up into the 200-300K range, they will be disappointed and will quickly dump anime in pursuit of the next "sure thing."

2. And what if they let their Ani-Monday block go stale right away? The syndicated Funimation TV block started out really strong but faded because they kept repeating the same shows over and over and over again until they grew mold.

3. As mentioned by others, editing also is a concern. Not just for content but also for time. G4 in their final weeks as an anime outlet had few content problems but they were unmerciful in chopping for time so they could squeeze in yet one more break for another "Girls Gone Wild" commercial.

4. The way they presented the schedule announcement seemed odd. The GitS movie was fine, but why cite the June airings of series episodes as though they too were movies? Unless (see point 1 above) they consider this a trial only for June, with additional airings dependent on the initial 3 weeks of ratings.

SciFi has had a checkered history in recent years with animation. For instance, they had a great animated property in Tripping the Rift but mishandled it terribly and it didn't last long. But I wish SciFi well in this endeavour. Adult Swim needs the competition; they've gotten complacent. (^_*)
rocklobster

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah especially when they cut out the final ep of Eureka 7 and then have to re-air it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
Yeah especially when they cut out the final ep of Eureka 7 and then have to re-air it. Rolling Eyes

Please tell me you're not still whining about that. Adult Swim made a mistake, and corrected that, and even put E7 up on the Fix all week as repentance. Since everyone says AS hates anime, you have to wonder why they would re-air it at all? If they really hated it, they wouldn't have re-aired it at all. Just left it with a "too bad, so sad" bump, and moved on. But they went out of their way to get the unedited version from Bandai and get it on the air in the week between the cut-episode, and the intact-episode. But sure, doing all that work and apologizing is a sign that they hated E7 and anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
And I'd have to assume that if Witchblade doesn't get [AS] it should end up on one of the other stations.

I wonder if TNT would get it. I mean, they did air the live-action Witchblade show, didn't they?

MasterYeshua wrote:

Um, if 1 is "best ever" and 10 is "suckiest," it'd be about a 1 or maybe 1.5. It's a brilliant anthology movie featuring some of the greatest anime directors ever. Just read that Buried Treasure column that Deltakiral linked to.

rocklobster wrote:
I also remember way back when the Sci-fi channel showed anime. Ever since it stopped, it also stopped being a good channel

Yeah, I haven't watched Sci-Fi regularly in AGES. I do remember the golden years, though, back when they used to show those god-awful live action Guyver movies almost every weekend. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I wonder if TNT would get it. I mean, they did air the live-action Witchblade show, didn't they?

I was originally wondering that too but considering that TNT basically dump the series after the first I would think that they wouldn't want anything to do with it. And it's not like it didn't perform Witchblade, it was number among cable drama series. So I'd have to think that TNT probably wouldn't be interested, but who knows. I am actually surprised that we haven't heard anything in regards to the show being broadcast, I thought it was a sure show for one [AS] or possible IFC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4