• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does HD anime exist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:

I'm not sure what studio Serenity came out of, but there is a BD release planned for the Matrix, and I'm 99% positive that there's one planned for Batman as well Smile

Serenity like Children of Men are Universal so might not get Blu-Ray versions. WB who release Batman and Matrix tend to make discs for both formats, but have a few titles out in HDDVD that are still to be released for BR.
10円

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I think the hentai title Maid in Heaven came with an HD DVD (and was like the first R1 anime to be in this format)...

Yeah... I found the fact that I couldn't watch that disc pretty amusing.

Close, but way off. Wink

If you look carefully you'll notice that it never actually says what format the HD disc is in on the cover. It was a WMV DVD-ROM that was meant to be played on a computer, but how would anybody know that until they'd already bought the damn thing? A handful of DVD players might be able to play bits and pieces of it, but the vast majority will fail completely. It also wasn't even the first such WMV DVD-ROM for an anime (Arisa apparently owns that title) and it has no region coding to my knowledge.

Amazingly, this disc got five "B's" and an "A" from Chris Beverage.

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/4957.php
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
ADV was also planning on releasing Noir on the WMV HD format, and I was ready on buying the series again. I'm now a little curious on Maid in Heaven since Chris whose opinions line up with mine gave it a positive review. I'm also always curious when a non-mainstream title is mastered in HD. I always assume that HD mastering is reserved for popular series like GITS SAC, Samurai 7, and theatrical releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2