Forum - View topic
Limited Editions for Black Lagoon and Haruhi.


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Randall Miyashiro



Joined: 12 Jun 2003
Posts: 2451
Location: A block away from Golden Gate Park
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if either Black Lagoon or Haruhi will have alternate releases for every volume. I tend to be a sucker for special releases for series like Samurai 7, GITS SAC, .hack, Hellsing, and the Funimation/Gonzo digipaks and I noticed that both. I tend not to buy the LE if it is only for one volume that will include an artbox since I throw away my DVD clamshells and have no need for boxes. I do however love the nice looking tins (why only one volume for Mars Daybreak) that sit on my shelf next to the very large Samurai 7 boxes and fancy Funi digipak boxes and the other extras included. I noticed that Bandai has been doing a periodic alternate release for Gundam Destiny, and Eureka 7, but the extras seem mediocre at best. Although I've preordered both Black Lagoon and Haruhi, it isn't to late to cancel (not shipped yet) and order the special editions of volume one. I would definitely order both series in their LE versions if every volume included a bonus disc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
According to Con reports (Boston 07) the Black Lagoon LE is suppose to a Tin like Appleseed. Also Rightstuf currently list two different versions for volume 2 of Black Lagoon and I thought I remember hearing somewhere that Bandai is going to offer different SE with each new volume.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9874
Location: Frisco, TX
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
That's great to hear about BL, I thought it was just going to be a starter set with Vol.1 having the steelcase packaging, but maybe the additional LEs are to accommodate those DTS tracks.

As for Haruhi, yes, they will be releasing both a Regular and Limited Edition for each volume. Here's how it will go:

Reg. Vol.1-4 = the series in chronological order

LE Vol.1-4 = the same thing, but with an additional bonus disc for each (after Vol.1) with the series in broadcast order (sub only), plus the artbox and whatever other fancy things they're putting in.

I suggest you cancel your orders and get the LEs knowing how you like surround sound (for BL), and I'm sure the Haruhi stuff will also be cool. Better make it fast for Haruhi, though, as the pre-orders will fill up pretty quick, and if you're too late, you might be out of luck.

I remember when the LE Vol.1 of Samurai Champloo came out, and boy did those thing disappear fast, same thing for FMP! TSR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I remember when the LE Vol.1 of Samurai Champloo came out, and boy did those thing disappear fast, same thing for FMP! TSR.


Champloo had a few factors going for it, one it's Samurai, two Cowboy Bebop director worked on it, and lastly it aired on [AS] where your you'll reach a large target demographic. I was somewhat shocked by FMP:TSR artbox selling out everywhere. I knew people were excited about FMP but even my local anime store sold out...... Crying or Very sad I had to go to the land of Ebay and pay MSRP.....

Tony wrote:
I thought it was just going to be a starter set with Vol.1 having the steelcase packaging, but maybe the additional LEs are to accommodate those DTS tracks.


I would hope so I definitely can't wait to see what additional volumes will have for extras...more then anything I want Geneon to announce Second Barrage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
frouella



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 199
Location: 大阪
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
According to Con reports (Boston 07) the Black Lagoon LE is suppose to a Tin like Appleseed. Also Rightstuf currently list two different versions for volume 2 of Black Lagoon and I thought I remember hearing somewhere that Bandai is going to offer different SE with each new volume.

I saw the vol. 1 and 2 Black Lagoon LEs on the Rightstuf website, but it looks like only vol. 1 comes in the tin; volume 2 says it comes with dogtags (doesn't mention a tin at all). Which kinda disappoints the O/C part of my personality, because then all the cases won't match. Sad Unless I'm reading the description wrong, which is altogether possible...

Also, at the risk of sounding stupid, what are DTS tracks? Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
I saw the vol. 1 and 2 Black Lagoon LEs on the Rightstuf website, but it looks like only vol. 1 comes in the tin; volume 2 says it comes with dogtags (doesn't mention a tin at all).


Yeah seeing as how the tin is going hold all four dvds for Black Lagoon I don't think that there will be another Tin release for BL, until the sequel that is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9874
Location: Frisco, TX
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
I saw the vol. 1 and 2 Black Lagoon LEs on the Rightstuf website, but it looks like only vol. 1 comes in the tin; volume 2 says it comes with dogtags (doesn't mention a tin at all). Which kinda disappoints the O/C part of my personality, because then all the cases won't match. Sad Unless I'm reading the description wrong, which is altogether possible...

The way I interpreted the release, the LE Vol.1 will come with a case to hold all the DVDs. I don't know what the packaging for the additional LE releases will be like, but I think the case is a kind of "book" with a few pages of holders to put the discs on, a la Hellsing Ultimate, meaning you'll have extra cases with nothing in them.

frouella wrote:
Also, at the risk of sounding stupid, what are DTS tracks? Embarassed

A fancy type of surround sound. Most anime don't have them because it costs more money. But the fact they're creating one for the English track means they're putting a lot of work into the release.

Since they're making additional LE volumes, I'm guessing it's going to be like Hellsing Ultimate's where they'll have 5.1 Dolby Digital Japanese/English and an extra "North American-only" feature with a newly created DTS 5.1 English language track just for us Anime catgrin.

Bascially, it'll make the anime louder Razz. And with all that gunfire, action, exploding vehicles, etc., it's gonna' kick butt! I'm just hoping the dub will be good so we won't want to change languages (pretty good acting in Japanese, by the way, and I'm a big fan of Ocean-Vancouver so I really want it to sound great). I don't think they'd specially create this track if they didn't feel the dub was going to suck, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Asako



Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 751
Location: Hawaii
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Some players that are only equipped to handle stereo won't handle DTS though Sad It'll look like a silent movie... Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9874
Location: Frisco, TX
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Some players that are only equipped to handle stereo won't handle DTS though Sad It'll look like a silent movie... Shocked

Yeah, it took me a while to figure that out. My PS2 said it was DTS capable, but then I played something with DTS and no sound came out. Then I realized I needed an optical cable for the sound system to detect the signal, and it sounds wonderful now.

For those of you who are curious about playing DTS encoded DVDs, make sure both your player and sound reciever are capable of detecting it, and in most cases, don't forget that optical cable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
selenta
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Posts: 1774
Location: Seattle, WA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
frouella wrote:
I saw the vol. 1 and 2 Black Lagoon LEs on the Rightstuf website, but it looks like only vol. 1 comes in the tin; volume 2 says it comes with dogtags (doesn't mention a tin at all). Which kinda disappoints the O/C part of my personality, because then all the cases won't match. Sad Unless I'm reading the description wrong, which is altogether possible...

The way I interpreted the release, the LE Vol.1 will come with a case to hold all the DVDs. I don't know what the packaging for the additional LE releases will be like, but I think the case is a kind of "book" with a few pages of holders to put the discs on, a la Hellsing Ultimate, meaning you'll have extra cases with nothing in them.


Yup, I saw the tin at Sakura-con and it does look just like that except the DVDs will go on both sides, of course, since there'll be 4 discs; there should be a matching tin for season two. I'll be honest, they look and feel really nice (unlike the other POS they were intending to use with the rerelease of some of the their older series... had some sort of really low quality dvd-holding pages you could turn like a book. Felt cheap as heck). Considering the biggest and only downside I see to them is that they don't look as large or imposing on the shelf as an artbox or 40 individual cases, that's not too bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frouella



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 199
Location: 大阪
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The way I interpreted the release, the LE Vol.1 will come with a case to hold all the DVDs. I don't know what the packaging for the additional LE releases will be like, but I think the case is a kind of "book" with a few pages of holders to put the discs on, a la Hellsing Ultimate, meaning you'll have extra cases with nothing in them.

Oh, I see what you mean now. It looks cool and all, but I guess I don't see the reason for making a special case when the dvds already come in a case (in other words, I don't know if I'll be shelling out the extra cash for this). Nothing against the LE, it's just that I'm buying this for the series that's on the discs, not what the discs are in. Now an artbox that all of the cases would fit in, on the other hand... Anime smile + sweatdrop Oh well -- maybe if I have an unexpected windfall before May 22nd, I'll splurge.

As for the DTS issue:
Tony K. wrote:
A fancy type of surround sound. Most anime don't have them because it costs more money. But the fact they're creating one for the English track means they're putting a lot of work into the release.

Bascially, it'll make the anime louder Razz. And with all that gunfire, action, exploding vehicles, etc., it's gonna' kick butt!

Thanks for clearing that up! I thought it was probably "digital" something or other, but it would've taken me forever to figure out the rest of it. And thanks to Asako for pointing out that it doesn't work in some systems, because yeah, that would be me, the one with the lame non-DTS capable system...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kruszer
Enjoying the time of EVEEnjoying the time of EVE


Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 7836
Location: Minnesota, USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
frouella wrote:
I saw the vol. 1 and 2 Black Lagoon LEs on the Rightstuf website, but it looks like only vol. 1 comes in the tin; volume 2 says it comes with dogtags (doesn't mention a tin at all). Which kinda disappoints the O/C part of my personality, because then all the cases won't match. Sad Unless I'm reading the description wrong, which is altogether possible...

The way I interpreted the release, the LE Vol.1 will come with a case to hold all the DVDs. I don't know what the packaging for the additional LE releases will be like, but I think the case is a kind of "book" with a few pages of holders to put the discs on, a la Hellsing Ultimate, meaning you'll have extra cases with nothing in them.


Yup, I saw the tin at Sakura-con and it does look just like that except the DVDs will go on both sides, of course, since there'll be 4 discs; there should be a matching tin for season two. I'll be honest, they look and feel really nice (unlike the other POS they were intending to use with the rerelease of some of the their older series... had some sort of really low quality dvd-holding pages you could turn like a book. Felt cheap as heck). Considering the biggest and only downside I see to them is that they don't look as large or imposing on the shelf as an artbox or 40 individual cases, that's not too bad.


We're getting 4 episodes a DVD actually according to this thread so it'll be 3 discs since each season is 12 episodes unless they changed it since then. The 4th slot is supposed to hold a bunus disc of extra goodies. .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
selenta
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Posts: 1774
Location: Seattle, WA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
We're getting 4 episodes a DVD actually according to this thread so it'll be 3 discs since each season is 12 episodes unless they changed it since then. The 4th slot is supposed to hold a bunus disc of extra goodies. .


Ah, you're right of course, I guess the way I said it does sound misleading.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS



Joined: 17 Mar 2006
Posts: 1705
Location: WA state
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm a bit annoyed with the Haruhi LEs right now... I love LEs, but I can't say I'm looking forward to paying $60 a pop for the show. I'd rather lose some of the extras (I'll never use that armband!) and get a lower price... $40-$45 each would be lovely. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Honestly, I'm a bit annoyed with the Haruhi LEs right now... I love LEs, but I can't say I'm looking forward to paying $60 a pop for the show. I'd rather lose some of the extras (I'll never use that armband!) and get a lower price... $40-$45 each would be lovely. Very Happy


You have to recoup the cost of the show somehow, and it looks like Bandai guess correctly that lots of people were going to want that extremely expensive LE first volume and probably upcoming volumes as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group