• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gantz Blu-Ray/DVD (live-action)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't help loling that Kurono somehow became a sparkly, pretty asian nice guy who's just a little down on his luck in this version of Gantz. The movie was practically opposite in tone to the anime and manga, even if the gore was kept intact.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Meh, it was decent enough. I had NO previous knowledge of the franchise so I didn't have that many complaints as hardcore fans.

I actually saw it when it was release in US theaters for one day, so I'm not really interested in buying the Blu-ray (esp. after paying almost 40 bucks for 3 tickets... thank you Fathom Events). I don't know if they used a different dub in the theater release, but I must say, it was goddawful. Especially the dramatic part towards the end with Tae and Kurono. That was... some kind of terrible. I think some people were chuckling in the theater.

Fairly accurate review.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
say what?

live action dubbing have cast being voiced by dubbers in Philippines speaking english?!

if also more hearing of check english dubbing of like gallery fake anime#4661

yea if some connection to see that englsih?

but wow i'm just unexpected they have this sets of dubbers to bring.

at least it almost would been animax dubbers/smae english va who did kamen rider kabuto english dub.

yep more anime that got outside dubbing that are non-u.s. dubs.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping Hollywood doesn't get the idea to remake Gantz. It's not that I'm against remakes,I'm not. It's just not the type of movie I think should be remade.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
Snomaster: Too late. Wink
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to it. I am pretty dissapointed they changed Kei's attitude though.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Didn't really like the film for said reasons in the review, but if it can get people to buy the manga, I don't mind it as being an introduction for the series. The second Gantz film goes in its own direction as much ( or more from what I've been reading) like the second Death Note film does. Which is a shame considering how awesome the recent Gantz chapters have been and seeing it in live action would've been great. But these movies were produced around the same time since said recent story developments were happening, so it couldn't be helped.

As far as a Gantz Hollywood remake? Well, it could be based on spoiler[New York Team or LA Team seeing as how the Gantz machines are manufactured and sent to different parts of the world. We've seen the Osaka team and a glimpse of an American team as well in the manga]. They could make it as a companion story to the manga instead of full fledged remake taking place around the same time as Kurono and Kato's missions. The possibilities are there and if it can generate more interest for manga sales and a continuation of the anime based on the manga chapters it didn't cover, it won't hurt. I'm all for making Gantz more available to the public.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Actually,what I was saying is I don't think that "Gantz" shouldn't have an American version of it. Does the world really need something like that? In my opinion,no. I'm not against Hollywood doing remakes of foreign films. It should be done on a quality basis. Was the original good in the first place? I'm against doing remakes of stuff like "Battle Royale,""Gantz," and other stuff like that because they are too violent and Hollywood already does enough violent stuff as it is.
Thankfully,the "Battle Royale" plans were scuttled due to the Virginia Tech shooting,one of the few positive things to come out of that tragedy. But I just heard that Hollywood's going to do a remake of stuff like "Kite" and "Oldboy." I hope they don't decide to do a remake of "Gantz" That's the last thing we need.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I also forgot to say I hope no one does an American version of something like "Apocalypse Zero" either in comic book form or movie form. The world doesn't need to see an American version of that.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I also forgot to say I hope no one does an American version of something like "Apocalypse Zero" either in comic book form or movie form. The world doesn't need to see an American version of that.

I can't imagine what would possess anyone to even consider making a live-action version of some obscure, obscenely graphic title whose special effects would be monstrously hard to execute properly. You've got nothing to worry about there, pardner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
I think an American version of Gantz COULD be good - if they for once bucked the trend of giving major sci-fi projects to directors for whom "mediocre" would be flattery. Imagine Gantz directed by Lars von Trier! Or on the other hand, how about Kevin Smith?

Yeesh, now I'm thinking about Jay and Silent Bob in Gantz suits. That would be Bad.

Anyway, enough of speculation. I need to see the Japanese version first!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1