• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doonys - Elaborate hoax or obscure anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
Awfully elaborate for a person to go through for nothing, really have to wonder what would motivate someone to go through so much trouble for a hoax of this nature, aside from insanity of course. We know it's obvious a hoax, just kind of curious as to why and what their motivations for doing it were. Of course, I've always been a bit curious as to why people do what they do and act how they act, somewhat surprising I didn't take a career in psychology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Awfully elaborate for a person to go through for nothing, really have to wonder what would motivate someone to go through so much trouble for a hoax of this nature, aside from insanity of course. We know it's obvious a hoax, just kind of curious as to why and what their motivations for doing it were. Of course, I've always been a bit curious as to why people do what they do and act how they act, somewhat surprising I didn't take a career in psychology.

That is the million dollar question, why? Why would this person go through all the time and trouble for something so elaborate and fake? There may be points of truth hidden behind the lies but it's still a hoax. This is why Keonyn my specialty in Criminal Justice was criminal profiling and investigation. It may be morbid of me but I always wondered why the twisted do the things they do. PG does make a point about the similarity to an otakukin. Maybe this person just got so involved in their own fantasy they lost track where it ended and reality began.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote
Could this Rachel's inspiration of the creation of this seemingly fan series be a farm in Scotland called Doonies Farm ? I realize it could be just a coincedence, but as this Rachel lives in the UK(In which Scotland is part of), it isn't farfetched, as this farm raises rare breeds of animals, and these so called "Doonys" are mythical creatures of some sort, and thus rare, as "Doonys" isn't that far off from Doonies, and infact you can pronouce both of them the same way.[/url]
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
It's an oxymoron to talk about "Wikipedia" and "standard procedures". That's like trying to discuss the rules and regulations of anarchy.

Calling it "anarchy" suggests that there is no leadership whatsoever. Most people editing Wikipedia are doing so in good faith and Wikipedia has administrators who can put a stop to shenanigans. In order to get an article removed, one must work with these administrators and follow their procedures.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quote
Wow, how anyone could become so embroiled in their own fantasy to go this far is stunning...and fun to watch unfold. Thank you everyone who is linking and checking this out and proposing deletion from wiki...this has been a really fun read the past few days, one I have enjoyed tremendously.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
i have to admit if she executed this hoax better and had better art and a katakana logo as well and covered her tracks or changed thing so people wouldnt link them.....

it would be a great and belivable hoax. the majority of us would probably think it was real...or hell some people would be fans!

she just wasnt cunning enough to do it well. and to you guys who uncovered this are really great at uncovering stuff. *applauds*
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Wow, how anyone could become so embroiled in their own fantasy to go this far is stunning...and fun to watch unfold. Thank you everyone who is linking and checking this out and proposing deletion from wiki...this has been a really fun read the past few days, one I have enjoyed tremendously.

Ya, I found it interesting. Which is why I posted it. I don't think I've seen anybody put so much effort into making a "fake" anime... Although, it's kind of sad too. I just read this part of an interview (which I might add that I think she was having with herself) about herself... Really made me sad:

Alex Alloy wrote:
It all BEGAN when I was 3 years old... I developed a major crush on Fireman Sam Anime hyper *pokepoke @ Rhona* Muahaha! Being so young didn't stop me drawing me and Him getting married, so it kinda developed from there. Ever since that time, I have lost myself in the company of fictional characters, since I have never had any real friends...

Reading things like this always makes me sad. It's not really sad in the pathetic kind of way to me, since I don't like to look down upon people like this. I would much rather attempt to understand them than make fun of them (I think I kind of feel for them too). She actually just sounds like she's something like a hikikomori or NEET (which I know exists outside of Japan, and is actually a problem in the UK as I've heard). She sounds like she's just a really lonely person who was trying to possibly make something of herself by making her own cartoon so she could feel better about herself... and got too caught up in the process. Ugh, I wish things like this didn't ever exist...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alex Alloy wrote:
It all BEGAN when I was 3 years old... I developed a major crush on Fireman Sam Anime hyper *pokepoke @ Rhona* Muahaha! Being so young didn't stop me drawing me and Him getting married, so it kinda developed from there. Ever since that time, I have lost myself in the company of fictional characters, since I have never had any real friends...

Reading things like this always makes me sad. It's not really sad in the pathetic kind of way to me, since I don't like to look down upon people like this. I would much rather attempt to understand them than make fun of them (I think I kind of feel for them too). She actually just sounds like she's something like a hikikomori or NEET (which I know exists outside of Japan, and is actually a problem in the UK as I've heard). She sounds like she's just a really lonely person who was trying to possibly make something of herself by making her own cartoon so she could feel better about herself... and got too caught up in the process. Ugh, I wish things like this didn't ever exist...

Just from this little blurb if I had to make a statement about her personality I would say she's a bit detached from reality. It sounds like she's repressed a lot of emotions and emotional events. Probably some sort of trauma in her past. Maybe she as, as you said PG, very lonely and was never given attention as a child. Might have serious self esteem issues and this provides a way to escape those feelings. Hard to tell with this little info. Either she is unstable and has issues, or is very smart and damn good at making stuff up. I mean the effort and time involved with this shows she isn't stupid and very creative. The question is was it deliberate or her own little fantasy?
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
If I was a betting man I would says it pretty much a elaborate hoax. Also, Wikipedia has questioned it very existence. Futhermore,its smell a little to fishy to be anything but a elaborate hoax.

Last edited by The Big Bang on Thu May 17, 2007 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
AegisX

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to question the sanity of one who would go this far just for a hoax. It's sort of creepy really. But the thing that truly made me question its authenticity, were the character shots(especially the poorly edited shot of Lupin the Third). They just look so fake it's not even funny.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The Big Bang wrote:
Also, Wikipedia has questioned it very existence.

Wikipedia has done so as a direct result of this discussion, so that is actually circular logic.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I just submitted a proposed deletion for the Doonys characters article and proposed that Rocket-Purse and the other users are sock puppets.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
The Big Bang wrote:
Also, Wikipedia has questioned it very existence.

It's not really that Wikipedia has questioned it's existence. Remember that Wikipedia can be edited by just about anyone. It's regular users like you and I, or rather, Dormcat and I, who are making efforts to get the Doonys nonsense removed.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Calling it "anarchy" suggests that there is no leadership whatsoever. Most people editing Wikipedia are doing so in good faith and Wikipedia has administrators who can put a stop to shenanigans.

The administrators actually blocked someone (not me) for repeatedly stripping the Doonys article and replacing the text with words to the effect of "this is a hoax". The whole RDS/Doonys/Gadgetinis thing is so complex (even reaching as far as IMDb) that it's almost notable in its own right as a hoax, and so in terms of Wikipedia policy, the Doonys article probably does have a right to exist as a description of the hoax. However, because the admins are not PEER REVIEWERS, as they would be in a real encyclopedia, they don't know that so they penalise people who are trying to correct thiings, and uphold the vandals who created the stuff in the first place. This is why I more or less gave up on Wikipedia years ago. Anyway, I'm being a good little boy now and following the rules to see how far that gets me. I've also requested deletion of the bogus IMDb articles.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
The administrators actually blocked someone (not me) for repeatedly stripping the Doonys article and replacing the text with words to the effect of "this is a hoax".

Because Wikipedia is a structured environment, vandalism will do nothing to correct any problems. Wikipedia takes a hard stance towards vandalism because they have to to keep things up to their standards. If they allowed vandalism for questionable articles, the whole thing may soon become more like Uncyclopedia. Vandalism also doesn't solve the issue of the article being a hoax. As you can see on the page now, there is a tag stating that the article may be a hoax and one proposing deletion. This will probably result in the article's deletion. Constant vandalism, however, will only drive the article toward having protected status, making it harder to remove the article.

angel_lover wrote:
The whole RDS/Doonys/Gadgetinis thing is so complex (even reaching as far as IMDb)

Actually, Gadget & the Gadgetinis appears to be real. Do a quick Google search for it. With Doonys, you get nothing more than fan art, but unlike Doonys, Gadget & the Gadgetinis has a DVD available on Amazon, and even a game for PC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6