• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doonys - Elaborate hoax or obscure anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
Look guys, why all the back-and-forth? I already mentioned in my earlier post that Gadget and the Gadgetinis, a.k.a. Go Go Gadgetinis, is genuine. I've seen it here in Denmark (as Inspektør Gadget -- Danish dubs make no titular difference between this and the older animated TV series), and there's no doubt it is genuine.

However... Although my brain was zoned out for the duration (it really is awful, and I watched it only with my kids, so my attention is elsewhere), I don't recall an "Inspector Prince", however, and I suspect this is another Mary Sue-ism. Which would be pretty damn pathetic, if you ask me -- having the hots for Inspector Gadget, to the extent that you'd write yourself into a story as his girlfriend.

One thing that leads me to be convinced that "Inspector Prince" is a bogus character is that no pictures of her exist on the internet except for the one on Wikipedia (which looks 'shopped to me). How many animated characters can that be true for?

And another: pretty much every time "Inspector Prince" is mentioned anywhere (on a forum, usually), the person mentioning it is a new user who immediately mentions "Axel Olivia Alloy", almost in the same breath. For instance, in this thread. That leads me to believe that these are deliberate plants by Rachel-the-wannabe.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Actually, I was the one who was, according to Wiki, vandalizing the entry and was later blocked (may I add that this was by a user, not a bot).

So you're the "anonymous user" then. I actually had a little discussion with the admin who blocked you about that, and it was obvious that he knew a lot about Wikipedia policy and procedures, but nothing about anime. So I asked him if I created an article about a Walter J. Spaghettimonster who was the 42nd president of the USA and then someone immediately stripped it because it was a flagrant hoax would I be able to get them for vandalism. Funnily enough, he stopped replying to me at that point.
one3rd wrote:
It would appear that the article for Deborah Taylor no longer exists

I played by the rules and nominated it for Speedy Deletion, happy now? Razz
PantsGoblin wrote:
...it says in the wiki article, it's also known as "Gadget and the Gadgetinis"

That's what's so clever about it. "Gadget and the Gadgetinis" does exist, but not as a series. The series "Go, Go, Gadgetini's" doesn't exist. It couldn't exist as a real children's program because educationalists would complain about the grammatical error in the title (laughably "corrected" in Wikipedia by earnest Wikipedians). I checked the BBFC database, because "Go, Go, Gadgetini's" is claimed to have a BBFC 'U' certification, and guess what? Nothing.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Look guys, why all the back-and-forth? I already mentioned in my earlier post that Gadget and the Gadgetinis, a.k.a. Go Go Gadgetinis, is genuine.

Indeed, Gadget and the Gadgetinis is genuine. Go Go Gadgetinis, however, exists only in the mind of our Ms. Rachel aka Axel Alloy aka whatever new name she makes up this week. The Wikipedia article for Go Go Gadgetinis was written by none other than Axel Alloy. The forum that I linked to earlier, the one that exists so she can talk to herself about Inspector Gadget, has separate sub-forums for Go Go Gadgetinis and Gadget and the Gadgetinis.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Ya know, I do believe this 'Doonys' thing deserves to be on Wiki now... not as an article about anime, of course... as an article about an elaborate hoax created by "Rachel", with info about the lengths s/he went to to preserve her fake show. It's all quite fascinating, really, like the stories about the Polybius aracde game.

(I hope someone at least prints the article out as a curiosity... I have no ink in my printer. Crying or Very sad )
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
So basically Rachel a.k.a Deborah Taylor a.k.a Axel Olivia Alloy decided that she would somehow create an elaborate hoax that would put her in roles of creator, animator, designer, artist, and voice actor ( undeadben note - and let's not forget "joint forum administrator" Rolling Eyes ) for the faux company, RDS, that was basically just a very poorly designed website (undeadben note - it was probably originally intended as a fan art site), that creates anime, no sorry, "Animé."

So here Ms/Mrs/whatever Taylor/Alloy/no last name, used some of her so-so fan art to claim that she had actually created an Animé series which she titled Doonys and claimed to have 157 episodes and running as of September of 2004 and had been running since October of 1981 (undeadben note edited - That nobody had heard of a series that long had to give it way as a hoax) (treetastic note - also, this show has apparently run for 26 years. Deborah Taylor must be pretty old. Rolling Eyes I mean, detective Conan has been running at one episode a week for 11 years and already has 473 episodes; this show has only 157? That's two months between episodes) . In fact she not only supposedly created and starred in Doony's but she also created the original Manga and was so skilled in all areas that she naturally voiced one of the leading roles as well. (Treetastic note - that alone should make people wonder ... the choice of the manga author as lead VA. I don't think I need to point out how unlikely that would be...)

She then proceeded to use the name of one of the supposed characters in her series, Axel Alloy (undeadben note - the one she supposedly voiced for), and other aliases to spam Wikipedia, IMDB, and countless fanart sites and forums about the Animé that does not exist. All the while adding supposed titles to the list of RDS/UK creations in which she of course had a huge role in creating.

However not much is found about this after 2004. Then (undeadben note - probably got bored) she decided she needed to further spam the world with nonsense. No longer claiming to be making Animé, but still claiming to be an Animé artist, Raxelborah Taylloy decided she was now ready to proclaim that infact she had also been working with the creators of Inspector Gadget and Gadget and the Gadgetinis in a UK produced series/sequel entitled "Go Go Gadgetini's," which apparently aired in 2002 right in the middle of the Gadget and the Gadgetinis airing between 2001-2004. But I suppose this should be alright, "Go Go Gadgetini's" was produced in the UK but still maintained most of the original cast (undeadben note - must have been so exhausting to fly back and forth to record two different variations of essentially the same crappy show, in two different countries back and forth across the Atlantic) and crew.

So have I got it right up to there, or have I missed anything? Not looking to write a wiki article, just for the purposes of logging everything we've found out in this thread.

Edited to add points mentioned by Treetastic. Thanks. Very Happy
~ben

Last edited by undeadben on Sun May 20, 2007 12:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
So basically Rachel a.k.a Deborah Taylor a.k.a Axel Olivia Alloy decided that she would somehow create an elaborate hoax that would put her in roles of creator, animator, designer, artist, and voice actor ( undeadben note - and let's not forget joint forum administrator Rolling Eyes ) for a faux company, RDS, that was basically just a very poorly designed website (undeadben note - it was probably originally intended as a fan art site), that creates anime, no sorry, "Animé."

So here Ms/Mrs/whatever Taylor/Alloy/no last name, used some of her so-so fan art to claim that she had actually created an Animé series which she titled Doonys and claimed to have 157 episodes and running as of 2004 (undeadben note - wouldn't the sheer number of episodes automatically rule it as a hoax when you can't find a single title for sale? A series with that many episodes would have to be popular somewhere.). And then she proceeded to use the name of one of the supposed characters in her series, Axel Alloy, and other aliases to spam Wikipedia, IMDB, and countless fanart sites and forums about the Animé that does not exist. All the while adding supposed titles to the list of RDS/UK creations in which she of course had a huge role in creating.

However not much is found about this after 2004, and so then (undeadben note - probably got bored) she decided she needed to further spam the world with nonsense. No longer claiming to be making Animé, but still claiming to be an Animé artist, Raxelborah Taylloy decided she was now ready to proclaim that infact she had also been working with the creators of Inspector Gadget and Gadget and the Gadgetinis in a UK produced series/sequel entitled Go Go Gadgetinis, which apparently aired in 2002 right in the middle of the Gadget and the Gadgetinis airing between 2001-2004. But I suppose this should be alright as Go Go Gadgetinis was produced in the UK but still maintained most of the original cast (undeadben note - must have been so exhausting to fly back and forth to record two different variations of essentially the same crappy show, in two different countries back and forth across the Atlantic) and crew.

So have I got it right up to there, or have I missed anything? Not looking to write a wiki article, just for the purposes of logging everything we've found out in this thread.

Don't forget writer of the original manga under Deborah Taylor- that alone should make people wonder, not only the whole back-and-forth between Japan and England involving a company that no one has ever heard of, but the choice of the manga author as lead VA. I don't think I need to point out how unlikely that would be... also, this show has apparently run for 26 years. Deborah Taylor must be pretty old. Rolling Eyes I mean, detective Conan has been running at one episode a week for 11 years and already has 473 episodes; this show has only 157? That's two months between episodes.

DuelLadyS; I'm definitely printing this. Would it be a good idea to upload it onto the internet clearly labelled as a hoax? (You know, this would make a pretty awesome novel.)

So there is no such show as Go Go Gadgetinis? That's good. The original was mildly disturbing enough as it was. Wink
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm in Lisbon this week on business so I'm going to have to bow out of the fracas. I'll temporarily ban myself from ANN for discussing non-existent toons instead of anime - have fun, people Wink *Is going to find some decent Fado and drink lots of Adega Velha
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The Doonys article has been successfully axed. I started work on getting rid of Go Go Gadgetinis as well.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
My question in all this still remains WHY? Why do this? What was she/he/it trying to accomplish? Just from how it's been done this doesn't seem like some sort of very crazy marketing or promotion scheme. It seems like one person's leap of the cliffs of sanity and into the pit of valium land. I think the apt saying abunai would be Go Go Gadget Insanity.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
What was she/he/it trying to accomplish?

Satisfy her own elaborate fantasy, probably. Much like the otakukin, who (the less severe cases, anyway) rationally don't actually believe their overstretched fantasies but desperately want it to be true. Elaboration, detail, and all this "trying to make it real" spiel help convince her that her fantasies are legitimate, so that she can escape the harsh realities of her life. I mean, if the thing has a fanbase, advertisement and promotion, it's own Wikipedia article, and an entire world of casted seiyuu, detail on the world's workings, art, stuff, that's all the more reassuring to her own desperate longing fantasies, right? Whoever helps in the promotion/thinking/"planning" probably thinks in a similar way.

This is all completely speculation though, so don't take my word for it.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
DuelLadyS; I'm definitely printing this. Would it be a good idea to upload it onto the internet clearly labelled as a hoax? (You know, this would make a pretty awesome novel.)

This occurred to me reading an article on internet hoaxes this morning- we should submit this to snopes.com! Ya know, in case it crops up again.

(And since it's now offically too late to run out and buy a new ink cartridge for this, if you photocopied me that printout, I'd totally send you a SASE. Wink )
Treetastic

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Oo, that is a good idea. But I thought Snopes was more for chain letters? Well, no matter.
I wouldn't go so far as to say she is insane. Maybe slightly obsessed, overzealous... maybe she just wanted to feel the self worth that comes from having people believe her story was actually an anime. This whole Go, Go, Gadgetini's idea is basically fanfiction wish-fulfillment- only without actually writing the fan fiction... and pretending the story exists. In the internet age, these things are becoming more and more common.

The most likely explainationis probably that this is a joke between friends- she, maybe they too, want to see how far it will go; get aforenmentioned ego inflations from "tricking" people. I could completely imagine a teenage anime fan girl doing this. I wouldn't analyse it too much.

Incidentally, is this show supposed to have been running until 2004 or 2007? Because if it was 2004, it would have run for 23 years. (Not that it really matters- we all know the show ran for zero years.)
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
Perhaps she was hoping that if she listed enough real names involved with the project (I don't know what names she used, I haven't been arsed to read all her crap), those real people would finally hear about it and think, "Oh crap, am I supposed to be recording for that show?" and contact her and then she'd do the same thing to a studio ("Are we supposed to be animating this every week? Let's give her a call!, quick!"), and before you know it, they'd actually be making her show.

Or perhaps it was simply an attempt by a delusional mind to spread the delusion to others in order to validate her own desperately meaningless existence. Or something.

She definitely needs medication either way.
Lianka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Hi, Im a normal girl who goes on DeviantART and I go on the Inspector Gadget Univerce fourm/ website, and I to can't help but notice that this Go Go Gadgetinies series is a fake.......I am really into anime and manga, plus I am a HUGE Inspector Gadget fan, and I have never seen this on tv, just the good old normal Gadget and the Gadget and the Gadgetinies.
I also happen to have Debbie's e-mail address, and when I or my friends ask her questions about this series, they are not answred.
I have also been doing research on this series, and it turns out that it's not on the DiC website, there isn't enough infro and there are many holes in this. If it DID exist, then why hasn't she or other people posted anything?
They say the series started in 2004, then by now it should have
1) Screen shots
2) VERY good information.
3) It should have at leat been on tv.
4) On DiC
5) Some video clips/theme song downloads.

She has also seemed to have fooled a lot of people over the years, espeshaly on Gadget Univerce. BUT one person on there doesn't agree that it is real,
Me, Im neuteral over this, but it seems m Cool ore fake then real.

Im trying to find some info on this as well.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
My question in all this still remains WHY? Why do this? What was she/he/it trying to accomplish? Just from how it's been done this doesn't seem like some sort of very crazy marketing or promotion scheme. It seems like one person's leap of the cliffs of sanity and into the pit of valium land. I think the apt saying abunai would be Go Go Gadget Insanity.

You know, when I first started coming to this site I remember they use to celebrate April 1st (April Fools Day). I remember it because they had actually just stopped celebrating it which had upset some of the older board members. Anyway, I kind of remember someone mentioning at that time that the ANN Encyclopedia had some joke listings from one notorious year in the late 90s/early 2000s and that some of the joke listings were never taken down.

While this may not be the source of this particular situation, I did wonder if there was a connection as I read this thread [However, I do think it's a hoax due to the Wiki connection, plus I would hope someone on the ANN staff still remembers which listings were the jokes.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6