• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Most Anticipated New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
Gurren-Lagann! Hot-blooded mecha and Gainax ftw! Very Happy
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's a tight race between RxJ and Claymore now. I honestly was expecting RxJ (my second choice) to take the cake easy, but it's nice to see Claymore (which was my vote) getting so many votes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Lucky Star is beating Gurren-Lagann? Anime fandom has failed me again.

My thoughts exactly. I started watching over a dozen shows, and Lucky Star is the only one I've dropped.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
My vote, Moonlight Mile, is getting no love. I thought people would be more interested in it after the recent success of Planetes, which actually has one of the highest ratings I've come across in the Encyc. Oh well.

This looks to be a very strong season.
Trivial

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
Claymore got my vote. Good music, good animation, action and pace for probably the best shounen anime of the season. Dragon destiny and Claymore are the only anime's that I am following at the moment, but there are a lot this season I look forward to watching. Heroic Age, Moonlight Mile, El Cazador, and the two BONES titles Darker than BLACK and Skullman.

I haven't watched Hayate Butler, but from everything I know of it, it reminds of the kind of fun seen in Mahoraba~Heartful days~

Romeo and Juliet and Moonlight Mile are probably the only top 100 material anime on the list, while the rest all seem to be very good or excellent.

I enjoy Lucky Star, but I don't buy comedies.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
My vote, Moonlight Mile, is getting no love. I thought people would be more interested in it after the recent success of Planetes, which actually has one of the highest ratings I've come across in the Encyc. Oh well.

This looks to be a very strong season.

I thought that Planetes was a little under the radar for most folks I still haven't had time for it, although the bricks at my house waiting to be watched, I really enjoy it as well but it's just overshadow by so many great shows.

Jedi General wrote:
Wow, it's a tight race between RxJ and Claymore now. I honestly was expecting RxJ (my second choice) to take the cake easy, but it's nice to see Claymore (which was my vote) getting so many votes.

Well it appears that love conquers all even half woman half yoma beings........last I check RxJ was up 9 votes, what a race!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Well it appears that love conquers all even half woman half yoma beings........last I check RxJ was up 9 votes, what a race!

Yes, what a race indeed. When all is said and done though, I'm still expecting RxJ to win out (and also be the better series). Like you said, love conquers all. Wink Plus, RxJ has been absolutely brilliant so far, not to mention gorgeous to look at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I thought that Planetes was a little under the radar for most folks I still haven't had time for it, although the bricks at my house waiting to be watched, I really enjoy it as well but it's just overshadow by so many great shows.

To tell the truth, I watched Planetes in a desultory fashion for the first cour at least. It was only when I got to the part about the Jupiter mission that I sat up and took notice. Those last episodes raised my estimation of the show considerably, and I started getting eager to see what happened next.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Man, what's up with all the hate on Lucky Star? I'm a cynical anime/manga fan who likes unconventional, artsy, and genuinely sentimental works and surprisingly I'm really liking it so far, while so many people who are in love with the concept of moe and generic anime number seventeen dislike/hate it. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

who_is_friend wrote:
Honourable mentions for me include Romeo x Juliet (what can I say, Junichi Sato can do cheesy GOOD. Just look at Kaleido Star),

That'd be nice, except he's only the audio supervisor, never mind the show doesn't have any literary merit so far.

Iritscen wrote:

I'd like Moonlight Mile more if it didn't follow the same formula in practically every episode so far (currently have seen up to seven). I'm all for GAR or whatever it's called where it fits, but Goro's persona and ability to come up with solutions on the fly in any situation isn't all that suitable for this kind of show.

It still definitely has the potential to turn itself around and become very good, though.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well I just watched the trailer for Dennou Coil and I must say I am truly impressed and by the looks of it I would say this could probably end up being the anime of the year! Great visuals and a very Studio Ghibli / Leiji Matsumotoesque animation style. The soundtrack will probably be stellar. This title completely replaces ICE, El Cazador and Lucky Star for my most highly anticipated title. Hmm what licensor should grab it? Funimation, no. ADV Films, maybe. Geneon or Media Blasters - yes! Smile
ZaWarudo wrote:
Are you sure you're not hoping for Pico to Chico to be licensed? LOL

Oh and if Boku no Pico gets licensed that would be nice too. I just think that with an anime like that, if it gets licensed then anything can get licensed. Not that it's bad, I actually enjoyed it myself Embarassed
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Romeo X Juliet is probably my pick (its kind of hard to choose so soon into the runs). The world is generic and I can't really understand why all the characters look like they've just walked out of a crappy Playstation-RPG, but it been very watchable so far and the source material almost always makes for a solid adaptation. Adding the Shakespeare-homage in the form of the flamboyantly gay playwright was a nice touch too.
Moonlight Mile feels like it's something a depressed salary man would read on his way to work, which is a good thing, though thus far it's nothing special (I can't stand the crappy CG either). Haven't seen enough of Darker than Black to have an opinion.
I might just have to look into Lucky Star now though...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Adding the Shakespeare-homage in the form of the flamboyantly gay playwright was a nice touch too.

It's the best thing that Gonzo has done so far with Romeo x Juliet (though episode six might be giving a preview of something beyond shallow entertainment, which I'll welcome with open arms). Whenever Willy pops up on screen a smile instantly comes to my face.

Quote:
I might just have to look into Lucky Star now though...

It'll either click with you or it won't. I actually find Steve Berry's two posts on Lucky Star to define it pretty well. Even though the opening theme is one of the most hyper-ADD-tastic things I've seen in anime (its more suitable to something like Gurren Lagann, which is like having the energy of FLCL multiplied to ridiculous levels along with entertaining hot-blooded mecha action), everything else about it is incredibly laid-back and low-key. There are a lot of references to other anime and some cultural ones as well (an old Japanese soap commercial in episode six, for instance), and a lot of people point at that being the only draw, but I'd fully disagree (even if I do find those amusing now and then). It's rather the atmosphere that it creates along with the situational humor that really gets me. The whole thing is spectacularly mundane, if you can get that.

Kyoto Animation also pokes fun at themselves, which earns some sort of fanservice points from me along with the opening theme to Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu making a cameo of sorts in episode three (I'm quite partial to it).

Oh, and I demand that you check out Denno Coil (the first fansubbed episode was just released, so I haven't formed a proper opinion, but there's good real to believe that it'll be one of the best anime this year), Guardian of the Sacred Spirit/Seirei no Moribito (though you could always wait as Geneon has pre-licensed this), and the aforementioned Gurren Lagann. And since you are already watching Darker than BLACK, I have no need to recommend that to you.

Edits: Typos are no fun.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
Lucky☆Star has been consistantly improving every single episode since the admittedly lackluster first episode. Fans are probably riding the wave of optimism. But hey, how dare other people like something you don't like, right?

Hayate was my first pick early on, but it's been really stagnating lately. Too many character introductions, yet it still feels like they've brought nothing new to the table yet, except for maybe Hinagiku.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:
Lucky☆Star has been consistantly improving every single episode since the admittedly lackluster first episode. Fans are probably riding the wave of optimism. But hey, how dare other people like something you don't like, right?

It's not (just) that they like something I don't, but that the least impressive show I've seen is polling better than the most impressive one I've seen. And by 100 votes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5