• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku USA Magazine Arrives June 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
Rutilcaper wrote:
With people like the kids from AWO aboard it'll be a quality read, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not picking it up.

I agree the quality certainly will be there in terms of writing, I think more people are upset with this little quote on the Otaku USA website.

Quote:
OTAKU USA will give UNBIASED COVERAGE, because unlike the other top magazines, OTAKU USA Magazine has no financial affiliation to any Japanese Anime or Manga firm.

I don't know if it's directly aimed at Newtype but it a pretty general statement seeing as how there are other magazine that aren't lined to other anime company/studio. It's also kind of funny seeing as Protoculture Addicts last I check is pretty much unbiased and also isn't link to any sort of Anime/Manga Company. And as you noted it would be a disservice not at least giving it a flip through to see if you like the magazine.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
OTAKU USA will give UNBIASED COVERAGE, because unlike the other top magazines, OTAKU USA Magazine has no financial affiliation to any Japanese Anime or Manga firm.

I'm all for market competition, but at least get your facts straight. Unless they don't consider Anime Insider a major magazine. Aww....

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am the editor of Anime Insider. Just say no to astroturf!
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I agree the quality certainly will be there in terms of writing, I think more people are upset with this little quote on the Otaku USA website.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody on the print side of things for Otaku USA--including Patrick--has any say or control over what gets put online. As such, the website isn't indicative of the magazine at all, which is highly unfortunate since that's what everyone's going to be seeing first and foremost. The site's still listed as "under construction," but I hope that it'll eventually contain something like this at least.

As for whether or not we can say we dislike something...well, anyone who listens to the podcast knows how open we are when it comes to hating on stuff, even though we TRY to just focus on what we like and pretend all that harem/moe crap just doesn't exist. So far, nothing I've submitted has been rejected or sent back to me to be revised, so I'm operating under the impression that we can say whatever we want, same as always. Except now we have to do it in a page or so instead of over the course of two hours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I love how pandering marketing speak ignores reality completely.

"The other top magazines" include Anime Insider and Newtype USA. Anime Insider is owned by Wizard, which isn't an anime company.

I look at "hey, we're unbiased!" statement as a rallying call to people who think (however justified they think it is) that any existing magazine -- Insider, PA or NTUSA -- are "biased." It's a cheap tactic, but one that video game magazines have used for years and one that will always work with some people, at least for an issue or two. It's a subjective accusation no matter who it's pointed at. That this is one of their main selling points might be considered indicative of their approach to/knowledge of the market...and I dunno how much that'll help or hurt them in the long run. They also seem to think they're the only magazine written for the American market, which is also just a line. If they're going to offer something truly different/new they certainly aren't using it as a selling point yet. The only tangible content bullet point I've heard about the magazine is that they're doing a feature on Gundam models from the '70s. Sounds exciting and relevant to today's anime market! Shocked

I am flattered that nearly every aspect of Otaku USA seems to be directly based off of Newtype. The size of the magazine, the "USA" tag on the name, the DVD, the manga insert pages, etc. Perhaps they're counting on consumer confusion to sell issues.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
As for whether or not we can say we dislike something...well, anyone who listens to the podcast knows how open we are when it comes to hating on stuff, even though we TRY to just focus on what we like and pretend all that harem/moe crap just doesn't exist. So far, nothing I've submitted has been rejected or sent back to me to be revised, so I'm operating under the impression that we can say whatever we want, same as always. Except now we have to do it in a page or so instead of over the course of two hours.

I don't doubt you (or any of the other AWO members) will (and probably have) give bad reviews to titles that are awful. I think the only thing that I am wondering about is the scale system, you've noted your disliking of rating systems I wonder if Otaku USA won't have them or will they have the standard 5 otaku or whatever it's going to be. Otherwise I am looking forward to checking out a copy of magazine when it hits my local B&N/Borders.
Celes

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
idrisfynn wrote:
Celes wrote:
The only thing I am not loving is the title. I hate pretty much anything with the word "otaku" in it. Yuck yuck yuck...

I had to delurk just to whole-heartedly agree.

I don't see myself buying an anime magazine with a title like that. Maybe it's because of my age, but I'm still offended by the blanket word "otaku" for people who truely enjoy the genre. I don't understand why any new magazine would want to alienate a section of their market in their title choice.

That is exactly how I feel. I don't understand why people would want to call themselves otaku when it is a pretty negative description for anime fans of all types...aaah. Brings me back to the days when I would go to OSU anime club and constantly want to close my eyes and go away when this one annoying "otaku" group would do so many things that made me embarassed to be there.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it's not too inappropriate to bump such an old thread, but [begin shameless plug] Issue 1 of Otaku USA is now available on newsstands and in bookstores like Borders or Barnes & Noble. Those curious or skeptical as to the nature of its content are encouraged to check it out. The website has also been replaced with something that, while still under construction, is much more indicative of the magazine's content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
While this is not really PA related since PA is a magazine, and my question regards another magazine, I figured this would be the best area to ask this. Is there a new anime magazine now? I just for the first time tonight saw this magazine ["Otaku-- "something"] at Borders. I know about Newtype, PA and AI (though I can never find any freaking AI issues anymore) but I hadn't heard of this new magazine. I thought I had heard it mentioned somewhere here at ANN lately but couldn't remember where, or if I was just imagining it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of this magazine and who it's made by? Basically any real info such as what kind of anime magazine is it. The cover was not very informative. It's wrapped and comes with a dvd and poster, just like Newtype, but is a few bucks less at $9.99 a pop.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
D'oh! I went to the trouble to bump this thread since I didn't see that this one was already here. Rats. Anyway, the magazine is named Otaku USA. It's the creation of a mad scientist, with anime reviews written in part by a liar, a pervert, and a woman *cough*. As for what kind of anime magazine it is, this review should help clarify matters.

I've found that the easiest place to find Anime Insider is comicbook shops, though it should be carried by anywhere that also carries Wizard. Stores like that (with any luck) carry all of the anime magazines, and if they don't, they can special order them for you.
Gage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
ANN reported on the Otaku USA magazine and said the first issue would be available June 5. I guess I should try to find a store that has this but Borders is about an hour away. Hum....
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Alright finally Otaku USA is finally available I am certainly going to have to check this magazine out. It's available in both Borders and Barnes & Nobles or do I have better chances at Borders? Also is the magazine going to be Bi-monthly or 12 issues a year?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Oh good, its out now. I'll have to make sure to pick it up the next time I'm at Borders/Walden Books or Barnes & Noble. I can always use another anime magazine to help kill time at work. Very Happy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Well I suppose it would be worth trying out. If it was nice and took off things would be back to the way they had been. There would be a quadrinity again in the anime magazine world. There was AI, PA, Animerica, and Newtype but Animerica left making it just another trinity. I wonder if this mag will take AI's place as a bi-monthly. In the day it was nice having only 2 monthly mags and 2 bi-monthly. Helped save on money. If anyone gets an issue please post and let us know if it's a worthwhile magazine or not.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
NewtypeCJ wrote:
the manga insert pages, etc. Perhaps they're counting on consumer confusion to sell issues.

For the record, when I decided to add manga previews to PA, I was shamelessly copying Animerica :-p

I gotta give credit to OtakuUSA for deciding to preview two different manga, and two good ones at that.

saishokushugisha wrote:
I'm all for market competition
I gotta admit, I'm not. As a consumer, the more the merrier, but as part of the competition, I was happy with the status quo. Now then, Patrick is my friend, and I'm really happy for him that OtakuUSA is out. I'm sure it will do well and snag a whole lot of readers, I just hope that it doesn't mean fewer readers for the rest of us.[/quote]

Meanwhile, Patrick, you, CJ and myself, (and each member of our respective teams) we just need to put out the best damn magazines we can, and hopefully the market for anime mags will grow, along with the amount of product available.

-t
RobbBot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Meanwhile, Patrick, you, CJ and myself, (and each member of our respective teams) we just need to put out the best damn magazines we can, and hopefully the market for anime mags will grow, along with the amount of product available.

Even comic book sites are commenting on how crowded it...
http://blog.newsarama.com/2007/06/04/otaku-usa-launches-in-crowded-market/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4