• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku USA Magazine Arrives June 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobbBot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
NewtypeCJ wrote:

I am flattered that nearly every aspect of Otaku USA seems to be directly based off of Newtype. The size of the magazine, the "USA" tag on the name, the DVD, the manga insert pages, etc. Perhaps they're counting on consumer confusion to sell issues.

No doubt.

There's a curious lack of ADV coverage/advertising in the first issue, I've heard... Twisted Evil
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
RobbBot wrote:
There's a curious lack of ADV coverage/advertising in the first issue, I've heard... Twisted Evil

ADV advertises in Protoculture Addicts, as well as in Anime Insider, so they clearly aren't out to withhold funds from their competition in general.

Obviously I can't say whether or not they're specifically out to restrict funds from OtakuUSA due to a grudge. And even if ADV never advertises in OtakuUSA, it wouldn't prove anything, it might just be that OtakuUSA charges too much...

-t
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I saw this at Waldenbooks the other day. It looks like New Type, and Cheaper. Looks like what Newtype would still be if it didn't go to Sht (3 bucks more with half the original content).
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I saw this at Waldenbooks the other day. It looks like New Type, and Cheaper. Looks like what Newtype would still be if it didn't go to Sht (3 bucks more with half the original content).

You could tell this from the cover only or did you open it up to actually judge the content of both magazines?
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
NewtypeCJ wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

You could tell this from the cover only or did you open it up to actually judge the content of both magazines?

Nope. didn't have ten bucks to blow one that one any more than I had 13 to blow on yours. And I had been a subscriber to NT for a couple years, so I am familiar with it. I cant justify paying 3 bucks more for two episodes of a DVD I never watched in the first place (it was just a novelty to me) and 40-70 pages less (dont remember) less content- most of the Japanese coverage which was my favorite part of the magazine. Now, I dont know if OUSA has that content in their magazine, but simply for the fact it's cheaper, I'd certainly check it out. I can also assume they don't discuss the same two or three big anime series for most of the year. Back in in 05 if it wasnt FMA, it was Gundam Seed.

Edit: I just found they dont seem to have the Japanese content I was talking about before. So they are a cheap alternative to Newtype. And my god, 30 bucks for a subscription? Aren't you still 90? What was it before the price gouge, 70?

But if I had a choice though, I'd probably take PA, since it's the overall most informative mag since Animerica (RIP).
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
I bought a copy. It's cooler than Newtype from what I can tell ^^. (haven't finished reading yet)
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Nope. didn't have ten bucks to blow one that one any more than I had 13 to blow on yours. And I had been a subscriber to NT for a couple years, so I am familiar with it.

Fair enough.

Quote:
I can't justify paying 3 bucks more for two episodes of a DVD I never watched in the first place (it was just a novelty to me) and 40-70 pages less (don't remember) less content- most of the Japanese coverage which was my favorite part of the magazine.

Actually I believe it was only about 30-40. If you're referring to the Anime Land pages in particular, those were cut because they were consistently the least popular section of the magazine according to the comment cards we got back each month. When we weighed the huge chunk of time it took to translate those pages each month versus their low popularity...it's no consolation, but that's the reason they're gone. *shrug*

Quote:
I can also assume they don't discuss the same two or three big anime series for most of the year. Back in in 05 if it wasnt FMA, it was Gundam Seed.

I've said this elsewhere so you might've heard this from me before...Newtype Japan acts as a sort of "TV Guide" to anime. They cover a show throughout its run on TV, each month. The features are more often than not tied to specific episodes. Newtype USA does the same thing, but if not for a TV run, it's for a DVD run. If you're watching said shows and buying the DVDs as they come out it turns us into a viewing/buying guide. If you're not (and obviously you're weren't), then some of it seems excessive. I don't believe we did as much coverage of FMA or SEED as Newtype Japan did in the end. And we do original features on a lot of shows that Newtype Japan never devoted any pages to (Beck and the Mushishi live-action film being two recent examples, in our June issue).

Quote:
Edit: I just found they don't seem to have the Japanese content I was talking about before. So they are a cheap alternative to Newtype. And my god, 30 bucks for a subscription? Aren't you still 90? What was it before the price gouge, 70?

Unless I'm looking at this wrong, OUSA is $30 for 6 issues (one year, since they're every other month). So if you want to compare by number of issues, they're $30 and we're $40 (we not-that-recently began offering 6-month subscription plans). For 12 issues, they're $60 and we're $80 (if you subscribe via the web). It's almost the same amount of savings off the cover price for either regardless. Prior to the "gouge" as you put it we were the same price as now. The subscription price didn't change. If the point is that we're more expensive than OUSA...yes. You either like the content you're getting for the asking price or you don't. I have my own opinion on that but I'm a bit biased, perhaps.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
NewtypeCJ wrote:
the manga insert pages, etc. Perhaps they're counting on consumer confusion to sell issues.

For the record, when I decided to add manga previews to PA, I was shamelessly copying Animerica :-p

I gotta give credit to OtakuUSA for deciding to preview two different manga, and two good ones at that.

saishokushugisha wrote:
I'm all for market competition
I gotta admit, I'm not. As a consumer, the more the merrier, but as part of the competition, I was happy with the status quo. Now then, Patrick is my friend, and I'm really happy for him that OtakuUSA is out. I'm sure it will do well and snag a whole lot of readers, I just hope that it doesn't mean fewer readers for the rest of us.

Meanwhile, Patrick, you, CJ and myself, (and each member of our respective teams) we just need to put out the best damn magazines we can, and hopefully the market for anime mags will grow, along with the amount of product available.

-t[/quote]

I'm sure you have been happy with the status quo but didn't you guys already deal with four anime magazines once before? Did you guys aquire PA before or after Animerica shut the doors basically? I ask because at that point you had PA, Newtype, AI, and Animerica all competing. So it's almost like the good ole days lol. Plus, I would assume it works in your favor 2 of the currents magazines are monthly and 2 are bi-monthly. This way readers aren't as bogged down financially when determining which to buy.

Another thing that helps me want to read them all are the unique features. I enjoy Newtype's various articles and The Art Behind "series" part. PA has in my mind more informative reviews and not as many previews, and I loved AI's death of the month and If It Were Anime parts every month. As long as each magazine offer something unique people should keep wanting to read them all.
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
For the record, when I decided to add manga previews to PA, I was shamelessly copying Animerica :-p

Ha. Razz Just don't change your name to PA "USA" or I'll start wondering. Wink
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I guess I stand corrected. But it wasnt just the Animeland. It was the previews of Japan-only or unlicensed titles that were removed as well, or the severe reduction of them. Admittedly, it's been about two years since my last issue, and I haven't read a new one since, so I dont know what the current status is.

I guess all my questions/issues with the magazine have been answered. Sorry to come off like a pr*ck. No hard feelings I hope.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
What's stupid, though, is that most publishers would wait until the print version of their magazines has sold before posting the aricles online. Thanks for saving me $10. Rolling Eyes
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
What's stupid, though, is that most publishers would wait until the print version of their magazines has sold before posting the aricles online.

Otaku USA did wait. It went on sale before its official release of June 5, and the articles did not online until the end of this week.

Quote:
Thanks for saving me $10. Rolling Eyes

You don't seriously think that a dozen web pages (several of which are clearly marked "EXCERPT") contains all the articles of a 150-page magazine, do you?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
testors:
Quote:
You don't seriously think that a dozen web pages (several of which are clearly marked "EXCERPT") contains all the articles of a 150-page magazine, do you?

Probably not, but I'm gonna bet 20-30 pages are ads, another 10-20 are reviews, 10-15 are pics of cosplayers, and the rest of the pages consist of otaku-centric articles which only interest the japanophiles. They really shouldn't give away the good stuff like that the same week.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testors:
Quote:

Probably not, but I'm gonna bet 20-30 pages are ads, another 10-20 are reviews, 10-15 are pics of cosplayers, and the rest of the pages consist of otaku-centric articles which only interest the japanophiles.

Psst....I'm not sure you noticed, but this magazine is called Otaku USA. Wink

Quote:
They really shouldn't give away the good stuff like that the same week.

Uh, again, you did catch the word "EXCERPT," right? You might not be aware, but magazines from Time and Entertainment Weekly to Wizard excerpt their "good stuff" or even post whole articles with all pictures, sometimes before release.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
GATSU wrote:
testors:
Quote:

Probably not, but I'm gonna bet 20-30 pages are ads, another 10-20 are reviews, 10-15 are pics of cosplayers, and the rest of the pages consist of otaku-centric articles which only interest the japanophiles.

Psst....I'm not sure you noticed, but this magazine is called Otaku USA. Wink

Quote:
They really shouldn't give away the good stuff like that the same week.

Uh, again, you did catch the word "EXCERPT," right? You might not be aware, but magazines from Time and Entertainment Weekly to Wizard excerpt their "good stuff" or even post whole articles with all pictures, sometimes before release.
]

Do you work for Otaku USA? If so, please let me know so I can give you a forums title saying so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4