• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Lagoon DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:57 am Reply with quote
I just got my copy in and decided to give the DVD a whirl. The animation is amazing in this series and Geneon's transfer is really clear. Geneon has done (like their Zipang and Takahashi Anthology releases) what Bandai tends to do for the ED credits, They keep the intact Japanese credits with a partially translated compiled credits after episode four. I prefer this as I can associate the Kanji in staff names as well as see the pronunciation at the end of volume four. Granted it is not as neat as Funimation's alternate angle, but it sure beats VIz's replacing the Japanese credits with a generic non episode specific credits.

Did anyone else notice that there is a reversible cover on this release? Much like Bandai's Witch Hunter Robin and Gundam 0083, the other side of the cover has a different layout and images, but has all of the relevant data. Either cover would serve well as a cover and I might have problems remembering which one was used by Geneon marketing if the paper wasn't pre-scored.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
Wait... they're using BATCH credits?

Are they at least grouped per episode?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Wait... they're using BATCH credits?

Are they at least grouped per episode?

They are much like the ones that you find on their previous releases. You get the header episode 1 with the main staff and cast for episode 1, and so forth. This is better than Bandai's batch credits (great term BTW) which has the original Japanese and non specific English forcing you to mentally cut and paste the names with the Kanji which is bad if your memory isn't so good or you don't know Japanese. Geneon's credits are way better than Viz's batch credits (BANDAI's Zeta box set suffered from this as well) which replaces the Japanese credits with batch credits leaving you guessing as to who worked on which episode.

The third episodes animation director is someone by the name of Cindy H. Yamauchi. Is this the same person who has been translating the Kenshin manga in English? Is this a fan gone pro to the extreme? I believe there was another person who is listed in the credits with both a Western first and last name. I would love to here their stories since this is a topic that has been brought up a number of times.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quote
That's REALLY good to hear (about the credits)

Wait... I remember that name from GUNGRAVE...

I think...

Yeah, she was the animation director for Gungrave.

(according to the encyclopedia, at least... I'd get up and check the DVDs, but it's like 4 AM...)

Oh yes, and success stories FTW...

What the... she works at Viz?

Yeah... I don't get it.

EDIT: Oh, here... check out this interview:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-06-11
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Did anyone else notice that there is a reversible cover on this release? Much like Bandai's Witch Hunter Robin and Gundam 0083, the other side of the cover has a different layout and images, but has all of the relevant data. Either cover would serve well as a cover and I might have problems remembering which one was used by Geneon marketing if the paper wasn't pre-scored.

I didn't have a chance to see my disc yet but damn do I love that metal case. One thing that kind of irked me the wrong way was that the sticker was placed on case instead of on the wrapping which really burns my goose. Cause now I need to buy goo be gone. But other wise I love the look and feel of the case, and I do like how the individual dvd will fit in the case very sweet.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Black Lagoon 1-4

Oh god, this show is so good.

I know I shouldn't be screwing around right now (have to study for finals), but I think I'll just focus on the 4th episode since...

Okay, so what's happening is that this episode:

spoiler[Had some kinda dual narrative going on between the present day and 1945 Germany.

What happens in the past is a romantic history story about how a German navy crew takes their sub around to do one last mission (to deliver a Japanese man somewhere), but end up being sunk by the Americans and the British (or something); it was actually a pretty good piece of drama, particularly the end where this one dude couldn’t let go of Nazi Germany and honestly believes that, one day, the Nazis shall rise back to power… and he has a painting that symbolizes this and wants to bring it out of Germany where the Americans won’t get their hands on it.

That part of the story ends with the captain of the ship finding himself disgusted at that man’s delusions and how the Nazis have essentially pushed that same delusion on everyone else, to the extent where things like Nazi Germany are prioritized over something important like a man’s family.

Then, amusingly, this all gets turned around in the present where a bunch of stereotypical Neo-Nazis (complete with stereotypical music and sterotypical clothes... no, really... who where's that kind of stuff in this day and age?) suddenly come up out of nowhere to acquire the painting while the Black Lagoon company is in the middle of plundering it for a client.

That was so goddamn great. It was like they were COMPLETELY making fun of that guy holding onto the painting from the past. Brilliant.]

This show is so good…

I love the dub too… just wish I could do DTS 5.1… But yeah, it’s such a solid round of performances.

Okay… off to study…
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

EDIT: Oh, here... check out this interview:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-06-11

That is so cools since my friend's mother Elaine Clark directed Jojo's dub (along with Saikano). I need to ask her about Cindy Yamauchi since I'm sure they worked together on JoJo's.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
I was already gonna check out the dub of this series (I'd watched some of this fansubbed before it was licensed and liked it), but upon reading this great review, I'm going to be checking out it out much sooner now. I can't wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Oh, please tell me that Odex Pte. Ltd. doesn't have that last one. . .

<checks>

@#$% And I actually was looking forward to that dub, too. . .

I suppose it's possible they have improved enough that we might hear a halfway decent dub for Karin, but if even I am trashing their track record, it's not a good sign. :cry:

Unfortunately, it seems to becoming a trend for Geneon lately. It was confirmed recently that Geneon's release of Shonen Onmyoji will also have an Odex dub.

For dub fans who are concerned, it is probably a good idea to send a letter to Geneon with concerns about their cost-cutting on dubs. We have heard great work from many of the studios Geneon has used in the past, whether from the American dub studios or Canadian ones (Black Lagoon itself being a recent example of a very good one there) and they have built up experienced anime voice talent pools.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The original Japanese dub was pretty harsh, and the English dub even moreso. A lot of the dialogue would have to get bleeped or edited. Heck, [as] couldn't even play the opener unedited because of its lyrics. There's also some pretty intensely graphic violence, too, although probably nothing beyond what's been shown on Blood+.

I agree with others that Encore Action Channel would be the right broadcast fit for this one.

Um... what''s so bad about the opening? Nothing. Exactly.

Even if there was something in it, people wouldn't be able to readily understand it anyways. I used it as a poll for a class and 80% of the people misheard the song or didn't understand it at all.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:

It does have a certain four-letter word that starts with "s" in it that normally gets bleeped out on TV/radio, and I had no problem making that out even without the subtitles. Beyond that, I'll admit I may have been overstating the case.

EmperorBrandon: If the Karin dub sucks as badly as the previous ones by Odex, I will certainly take up your suggestion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
There's supposedly some issues (read: lack of money) that doesn't really allow Geneon to get something like a New Generation Pictures dub as they please. So they go to Ocean Group instead, or outsource (see: Zipang and Karin).

Uh oh, this doesn't sound good, not good at all. The Zipang dub is terrible, and so I'd hate to see Karin suffer the same fate.

*Yells angrily, then bangs head and fist on desk after glancing at the encyclopedia*

You've got to be kidding me! An Odex dub?!? Damn you, Geneon!!! And I was looking forward to the dub too. Anime cry

At least I don't have long before I find out the truth quality if this dub. My Karin DVD shipped a couple of days ago. At least there's still the Japanese track if all else fails. I have a soft spot for Karin's seiyuu, and that's good enough for me, even if I do prefer dubs.
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeOnDVD got an early look at the first Karin DVD, & had this to say about the dub:

Quote:
Though we listened to this in Japanese the first time through, we did take it in again in English later on. The series was done by Odex and comes across pretty well. The best comes from the leads, particularly with Karin who managed to achieve just the right balance of frantic and cute. The cast is fairly well varied though there is some overlap between actors due to the smaller pool that Odex seems to have at the moment. Nothing comes across as horribly bad however unlike some that we heard in Shonen Onmyoji but it doesn't exactly make me want to watch it in English for the remaining volumes.

Source: http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/6211.php
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Yorokobi

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Key wrote:
The original Japanese dub was pretty harsh, and the English dub even moreso. A lot of the dialogue would have to get bleeped or edited. Heck, [as] couldn't even play the opener unedited because of its lyrics. There's also some pretty intensely graphic violence, too, although probably nothing beyond what's been shown on Blood+.

I agree with others that Encore Action Channel would be the right broadcast fit for this one.

Even if there was something in it, people wouldn't be able to readily understand it anyways. I used it as a poll for a class and 80% of the people misheard the song or didn't understand it at all.

The Lyric "S*** out of Luck, Go with my vision..."

Yeah, once you "get" the lyrics you can almost tell what they are supposed to be, but I remember when I first heard it I thoght the opening stanza (is that the right term?) was...

I have big gun
I took it from my lord
Sick with justice
I just wanna bang you... Shocked

O_O;
Airforce1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
just out of curiosity , has anyone here had trouble with the 5.1 surround sound on this dvd, when i select it in my system there is no sound, 2.1 works fine but not the 5.1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4