• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 8 Greatest Weapons Wielded by Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

And if you want a girl with a gun bigger than her, Yoko's sniper rifle is only a few inches taller than her. Seras Victoria's gun is a few feet taller than her, and probably outweighs her by several hundred pounds, especially with a full clip of ammo. Add in the fact that she can dual wield such a gun, and I must say that this is quite the glaring omission! .

Rime of the Ancient Otaku wrote:

Let me second the Harkonen(s).

Lightning Leo wrote:
Seras Victoria, Gunbuster and Evangelion all occurred to me immediately, and have already been brought up. Laughing

dtm42 wrote:

Oh, and Yoko's sniper rifle is pathetic compared to the Harkonnen used by Seras Victoria. The latter is spoiler[a highly modified 30mm anti-armour (well, anti-anything) canon firing either depleted uranium shells with silver tips or incendiary napalm shells, and the gun is far bigger than Yoko's pea-shooter. Of course, even the Harkonnen is only a baby compared to its successor, the absolutely monstrous Harkonnen II.]

So glad to see so many people favoring the Harkonnen too!!! <3 <3 <3

Just wanted to add the reason Seras can handle the Harkonnen is because she is a vampire and has super strength.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Just wanted to add the reason Seras can handle the Harkonnen is because she is a vampire and has super strength.

What, so just because she's a vampire means she can't also be a woman? We should get away from this outdated idea that the only "true" woman is a weak one.

I mean, heck, I'd do her. Hypothetically of course. See, even a tomboy vampire who carries a large gun can still be attractive. Oh, and she is. Hypothetically.

As an aside, at least Seras has an actual reason for being strong. Yoko should have her shoulder fractured every time she fires her piddling little rifle (relative to the Harkonnen), and yet she wields it with ease.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, chill out! I wasn't implying that women can't be strong. Sailor S questioned how it was Seras could handle such a large weapon. I was just pointing out that she's not an ordinary human, which is true. Even a normal man would have trouble with it.

Oh, and I'm a woman btw.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Whoa, whoa, chill out! I wasn't implying that women can't be strong. Sailor S questioned how it was Seras could handle such a large weapon. I was just pointing out that she's not an ordinary human, which is true. Even a normal man would have trouble with it.

Oh, and I'm a woman btw.

I did? I don't see a single question mark in my statement. The only question that was implied in my statement was why one would exclude Seras. No normal person would be able to fire the Harkonnen unsupported without being sent flying by the recoil, so it's apparent that only those with supernatural strength could wield it in such a manner. At any rate, for my money I'd take Seras over Yoko any day of the week.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
rinmackie wrote:

Oh, and I'm a woman btw.

I did? I don't see a single question mark in my statement. The only question that was implied in my statement was why one would exclude Seras. No normal person would be able to fire the Harkonnen unsupported without being sent flying by the recoil, so it's apparent that only those with supernatural strength could wield it in such a manner. At any rate, for my money I'd take Seras over Yoko any day of the week.

Oops, my bad. Yes, Seras should be on the list.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As an aside, at least Seras has an actual reason for being strong. Yoko should have her shoulder fractured every time she fires her piddling little rifle (relative to the Harkonnen), and yet she wields it with ease.

Bear in mind that Yoko's rifle uses an electromagnetic firing mechanism, and that significant recoil forces are discharged perpendicularly to the direction of launch via the massive compensator attached to the muzzle. It's also got a large stock assembly, which probably compresses during operation to further diffuse the reaction.

Anyway, for the most part I find weaponry that the user doesn't have to be superhumanly-endowed to wield a good deal more iconic, both aesthetically and functionally.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
The weapons that stick out in my mind are Kino's "Cannon" and "Ranger" or "Woodsman" (Kino's Journey.)

They are a custom Colt 1851 Navy London Model revolver and a custom Colt Woodsman Match Target, respectively, per the internet movie firearms database.

Lizzie_B wrote:
Sailor Saturn uses her spear that is strong enough to destroy a planet(literally)

Technically it's a glaive, though I like to call it the "Can Opener of Doom". Twisted Evil
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are plenty of female snipers in anime, but how many of them have a gun that is literally taller than they are?

Already mentioned once, but Suou from Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini immediately came to mind.

For those pointing out Seras Victoria, while she definitely should have been on the list, keep in mind Seras isn't a sniper.

It should also be pointed out the Millie's gun (Trigun) doesn't fire rubber bullets. I am not certain what you would call them, but they are sizable metal "X" shaped devices that fold out upon exiting the barrel, thus spreading the impact when they hit someone.

Finally, as much as I like StrikerS, I was puzzled by the inclusion of Due on the list. As others have pointed out, even in that same series, there were better choices.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Millie on the list, she's the only character on there that I actually like.

When it comes to anime and manga, I usually read the manga first then watch the anime, especially if I like the manga. When I like the manga, I like the anime. But every once in awhile I see the anime first and then read the manga. It all depends someimes.

Quote:
This is especially notable in the case of Bandai/Sunrise-property-related manga, which pretty much ALWAYS involves the manga coming out afterward, and being pretty shoddy condensations on top of that. I'd rather watch RahXephon, Gundam Wing, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, or Mai-Hime and not read them, but I'd also rather read things like Monster, FMA, Death Note, or any other series where the manga came first.

This is also the case with me. If a manga is based on an anime, I won't bother with it. But if a manga is the source of an anime (like FMA and Death Note) I'll check it out.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Some of you are, I think, entirely missing the point of what Gia was aiming for with her list.

"Wielded" suggest a weapon that's hand-held (or close to it) and not ridden on/inside, which eliminates all mecha and other vehicles. Nearly all of her choices were weapons that were visually distinctive and decidedly non-standard, so that eliminates almost any handgun (save perhaps Alucard's monstrous sidearms) and the overwhelming majority of swords. I wouldn't include the claymores used in Claymore, either, because so many different characters use them that no one character's weapon stands out.

The weapon that Suou summons and uses with her contractor power in DTB2 I definitely agree with, though. While it only gets used once, the anti-matter cannon that Mahoro uses in the first Mahoromatic series (depicted below) also should qualify:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loved this list, Gia. Sincerely hope another one like it is in the works. Anime catgrin

Just enough detail and background for anyone unfamiliar with the lovely lethal ladies to grasp their standing in their respective series, while still plenty interesting for folks who're already fans.
Zarquon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
So many badass fighting girls out there.....

Here are several I was surprised not to see mentioned by anyone:

Hibana Daida (Deadman Wonderland) - Tweaked out tot with a sword bigger than she is ..... WIN.

Balsa (Seirei no Moribito) - old school; it doesnt shoot lasers or anything shiny, but in her hands pretty damned badass.

Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) - Guitar of course, but I think the Bunny Outfit/slingshot is pretty awesome.

Also glad Milly made the list. That's what supporting character weapons are supposed to be about.

And no Excalibolg?!? a weapon to purge us of all bland male leads! That's a definition of greatness too....
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Hah! I'd forgotten about the AM cannon. Man, that was pretty sweet.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Some of you are, I think, entirely missing the point of what Gia was aiming for with her list.

"Wielded" suggest a weapon that's hand-held (or close to it) and not ridden on/inside, which eliminates all mecha and other vehicles. Nearly all of her choices were weapons that were visually distinctive and decidedly non-standard, so that eliminates almost any handgun (save perhaps Alucard's monstrous sidearms) and the overwhelming majority of swords. I wouldn't include the claymores used in Claymore, either, because so many different characters use them that no one character's weapon stands out.

I'll buy that. Though I notice another trend in Gia's List: weapon-to-personality dichotomy. For example:

As she mentioned, anime is rife with ladies capable of blowing their targets away from the next county over. Most of the time they are the little, "quiet ones" that Anime warns you about: Rico from Gunslinger Girl (most of the GG cast, actually). Ein from Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. Suou of Darker Than Black: Gemni of the Meteor. Rip van Winkle of the Hellsing OVAs has a more...flamboyant personality, and it takes getting out of Alucard's outrageous shadow (and embracing her existence) for Seras Victoria to really start coming into her own.
Yoko just happens to be as un-sniperlike as you get.

Which makes me wonder how Haruna and her magic chainsaw Mystletainn from Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? have remained unmentioned this long. Other than being as subtle as a chainsaw, she is the antithesis of the chainsaw type.

enurtsol wrote:
What ever happened to anime females' BFF once-greatest-weapon women-only-no-guys-need-apply: the hammerspace? Laughing

I thought #2: the school supplies of Hitagi Senjougahara (Bakemonogatari) counted nicely as a hammerspace example, given the sheer amount she can bring to bear (and it's creative to boot-- why should hammerspace be limited exclusively to 2-ton rice mallets?).

This was a List that really, really needed the extra 2 slots that a Top Ten list gives.

Just to allow Yomiko "the Paper" Readman of Read or Die to slug it out with Mikoto "the Railgun" Misaka of the Certain Magical Index/ Certain Scientific Railgun franchise over who is scarier with nothing more than chump change, if nothing else... Wink
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
It should also be pointed out the Millie's gun (Trigun) doesn't fire rubber bullets. I am not certain what you would call them, but they are sizable metal "X" shaped devices that fold out upon exiting the barrel, thus spreading the impact when they hit someone.

Are you certain that the projectiles are metal? Rubber/neoprene seems to be a much more likely material, as most metals are much denser and more rigid than rubber, which would make it difficult to design a round that would reliably both split open and be non-lethal.

Also, the inclusive technical term is "baton round".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5