• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Updates Sailor Moon Bootleg

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
FanFicGuru wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I've seeded this around the net. Now trying to figure out how the hell I can con Fox News and CNN to cover this.

Fox News? CNN?

Are you serious?

We're talking about Amazon here people. If for some reason this EVER went to court, all they'd have to say is that they're describing the item accurately and whether or not someone buys it is up to their discretion.

Nothing like a little bad press to get Amazon to clean up it's act.

penguintruth wrote:
I laugh at the reactionary posters here who will now refuse to buy from Amazon because of this isolated incident. OH NOES BOOTLEG SAILORMOON, BYE BYE AMAZON! I'M RIGHTEOUSLY INDIGNANT!

Seriously, i've bought some books that Borders or Napa can not order (Coin Books and Repair Manuals). Amazon is more than just DVD's. Just I won't buy DVD's in the foreseeable future right now.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
It would be HILARIOUS if it sold well and some licensing company decided to pursue it's rights to properly own, dub, and distribute.

EDIT: Also... I believe I have a copy of this version.

It's decent to good quality. My only complaint was that the subtitles would cut out some dialogue every few episodes, but that was it.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I laugh at the reactionary posters here who will now refuse to buy from Amazon because of this isolated incident. OH NOES BOOTLEG SAILORMOON, BYE BYE AMAZON! I'M RIGHTEOUSLY INDIGNANT!

Except it is not an isolated incident. There are other bootlegged anime series and movies being sold by Amazon (not the Marketplace.) These have been discussed in the previous two threads on this topic.

I will still purchase what I usually purchase through Amazon (occasional books, Ortega enchilada bake kits) but I think this does cause a moment's hesitation and additional research for anime customers to be certain that they are not being sold an illegal item.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:26 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Ortega enchilada bake kits

Wait, what?
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quote
LOL!

Um, I think I remember that Amazon's tech support now lives in India and barely speaks English, so, um, this is probably just fine for them...

But, LOLOLOLOL!
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote
CrazyCanuck wrote:
I submitted the name change a week ago.

Kudos to you... although I forsee Wikipedia-scale vandalism if word gets out Razz

Still, that's hilarious! Laughing
Atamaii.com

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote
There are 2 articles running on this in Digg. A good dig report can attract blogger and press attention.

http://www.digg.com/television/Amazon_com_Caught_Selling_Bootleg_DVD

http://www.digg.com/business_finance/Amazon_Sells_Bootleg_as_Official_Boxset

I would think the license holder would have to complain before any authorities got involved.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote
Atamaii.com wrote:

I would think the license holder would have to complain before any authorities got involved.

Agreed - since Geneon holds the rights to the other seasons (I believe), they may be the only ones who can make a big stink about this legally...

I just think the whole business is kinda funny...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Agreed I use to do a lot of book buying from Amazon but now they've lost a valued customer and I intent to let everyone know not to buy from them.

Well I am not going as far as to say I will never buy from them. However, during the latest TRSI TP sale, they didn't offer vols. 1, 6, and 10 of a manga series I wanted. Out of Amazon, Barnes&Noble, BAM, Borders, only Amazon had all three missing volumes. With this recent SM event in mind, I searched fairly hard and found a place that had what I wanted and I ordered from them.

So I guess without realizing it I am temporarly boycotting Amazon. Hopefully they will do the right thing though, because they often do have stuff that is hard to get anywhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, this is rich!! The "Complete Bootlegged Box Set" Laughing

Amazon sure is handling this well. Why don't they just take the item down? Updating the info to include "bootleg" isn't going to fix anything. In fact, it makes it even worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
Having been gone all weekend, and only now having read through the other related threads, I see I am not the only one who put this particular title change suggestion in. Now that we have this one in place, I wonder how far we can push it? If several people suggest the same change it goes through almost totally automatically. The smaller the change the less likely it is to be flagged as well. May I suggest "Sailor Moon Sailor Stars: The Completely Illegal Bootlegged Boxset" for our next attempted edit? Twisted Evil
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Atamaii.com wrote:

Agreed - since Geneon holds the rights to the other seasons (I believe), they may be the only ones who can make a big stink about this legally...

You're right that the original copyright holder will probably have to complain first (consumers don't have standing), but it won't be Geneon--all NA licenses were pulled back to Japan, so the only right Geneon has now is to sell off its remaining stock. However, Toei or whoever holds the Japanese license ought to have every right to complain. Amazon isn't infringing, but it IS knowingly (I'm pretty certain a court will say the name change and reviews were fair warning) selling an infringing product. At most all Toei could probably get is an injunction and maybe attorney's fees, though--since there IS no legit R1 version, there are no lost profits, and it takes a showing of bad faith to recover the profits of the defendant (that will take a finer analysis of the "knowing" issue, and it may not even apply to people who sell the product rather than bootleg it themselves).

All that said--I already had stopped buying from Amazon when I started getting bonus points from my cc company for using Barnes & Noble's website, but I certainly won't be switching back to Amazon any time soon. I figured the new title was a joke (and I see that I was correct), but that doesn't change the fact that they're still selling it DESPITE the many complaints.
Atamaii.com

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Its funny because the Amazon.com editors obviously don't understand what consumers are telling them. They must think they are being helpful in changing the title. All the email to them saying "this is a bootleg", so they say, oh, ok we change title to include Bootleg, thanks very much. lol lol.

So what if everyone sent them an email saying, "this DVD is really a POS DVD, would they change it to "Sailor Stars POS DVD"

Suggest everyone stop telling them they are wrong, so the media etc can see for themselves before they pull it.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ok, I posted a diary up at Daily Kos about this. While this isn't really political news, there are diaries such as this that get posted every now and then. I don't really expect this to create a surge there, but maybe it will help it to get noticed.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

What can I say? I hold Amazon to a high standard, what with it being one of the largest online retail sites in existence. When I order from them, I trust that what I am getting is the exact, legal product I expect it to be, and this incident and previous others (no, it's not isolated) have damaged that trust far too much for me to willingly desire to do business with them. They'll sell illegal products as official ones, and then knowingly continue to sell illegal products even when told they're illegal. How can I trust that? Why should I trust it, when there are almost always alternatives?

Besides, bootlegs just happen to be one of my personal peeves. Why should I pay money for something that is 99% of the time going to be inferior to a version I could get for free as a fansub? Why should I pay money for this illegal product when I can often get an equally good deal on the legal product with superior quality? Why should I pay money if that money isn't going to the people who made the show in the first place? And why is it that so many people try to cheat me and other people I know with bootlegs, trying to claim they're "imports" or "official releases?" I'm sick of seeing bootlegs being sold both in my area and online, especially bootlegs being sold by major retailers like Amazon. Are you saying I have no place to simply come out and say that something pisses me off when it genuinely pisses me off?

penguintruth wrote:
Let's face it, most of you weren't using it in the first place. Stop trying to impress us with your faux heroism. Save your contempt for the businesses who knowingly sell unlicensed goods at inflated prices with glee, not for this one mistake. Jeez.

I've made many a purchase at Amazon before. And if they'd simply remove this product, I would go back to doing business with them. It's not heroism or bravado, I'm genuinely disappointed in their willing sale of illegal merchandise like this. I do indeed save my sense of genuine disgust for the more deserving, more malicious bootleg peddlers in my area. Don't assume that, just because I'm not making some rabid (and off-topic) proclamation about the bootleg-dealing rental place up the street from me, that I hold some odd double standard against Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4