• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Anime Festival Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I voted for #10. I just thought that the apple headed cat girl was the cutest.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
eh, the statue of Liberty one's so plain. i prefer #5 (the robot apple) simply because it looks better as a logo.

... of course i don't live in New York either.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I chose the little girl with the apple head, I don't remember what number. The robot what my second choice.
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Apple Kitty girl most definitely... most creative and most visually pleasing.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
So which one did you guys vote for?

From the ANN page, numbering from left to right, top to bottom 1 through 10, I voted for 5.
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6106/entry2sj5.jpg

I voted for that one too. A shame that it's in last place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
A lot of people don't seem to know that the Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey, not New York. So while all those Liberty-themed ones were cute, they weren't New York. Granted, it's a part of the NY tourist experience, but it's not actually in the state...

I voted for the monkey. It's simple, it's clean and it'll be easily adaptable to all types of uses. The apple girls...a little weird.
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
saishokushugisha wrote:
A lot of people don't seem to know that the Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey, not New York. So while all those Liberty-themed ones were cute...they weren't New York.

They measured, that thing is so Jersey's. Bad enough it's on NY's quarter and license plate. Wink

I voted for the blue girl with the subway lines on her, most NYC flavor to it. Though the monkey was clever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Even so, Liberty Island is considered a part of New York, it even has a NY address with an NYC zip code (10004) and area code (212). It's even maintained by the NYC branch of the National Park Service. I guess you can think of it as being like a NY embassy in NJ.

Anyway, I went with #7, the green Liberty. It just represented to me New York, Japan, and anime all in one.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Is saishokushugisha being facetious? Never in my life have I heard anyone claim that Liberty (the Island, Statue and all) is "not New York"!

As for the entries, I'm torn between the rollerblading girl and the Ooki Saru (Monkey). Ooki Saru's got the simple, Superflat look, and works as a concept. (The implied meaning being, Japan holding NYC hostage via a cultural invasion. Am I the only one who's amused/disturbed by the artistic decisions taken to represent a Japan/NYC hybridity?)

OTOH, the monkey design isn't the sort of thing one usually sees on official anime con t-shirts. If I was more mentally challenged, I'd say I object on the grounds of there being little airplanes flying around the Empire State Building.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quote
I'm torn between the first one and the last two Also the more shojo girl holding the apple isn't bad.

I really like the checkered cabbie hat. Yet Ringo Broadway sounds hilarious for a name. And Nyuyoko is a hilarious pun and they did quite well making her a '-tan- mascot character. Eh. I'll go sleep on it.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
Tribblewing wrote:
Is saishokushugisha being facetious? Never in my life have I heard anyone claim that Liberty (the Island, Statue and all) is "not New York"!

Nah, not facetious, just getting hung up on facts. It's technically not in NY, so I'd feel weird with it as a mascot for a NY convention. There are so many things that are more NY than the Statue of Liberty. Most NYers, myself included, have never even been there. On the other hand, I ride the subway all the time.

I looked at Ooki Saru and saw King Kong, though. Sort of an "American pop culture becoming Japanese" type of concept.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
Just wondering... What do people think about the one with the purple hair ('Libby")? My friend drew her and she's too scared to read the posts or look at the results. Thoughts?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, I went with the first one with the guy in the checkered cab hat. I thought it had the best art and the designed seemed New York without being too weeaboo. The last one with the girl with the apple head was a bit too 'moe'.
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
saishokushugisha wrote:
Nah, not facetious, just getting hung up on facts. It's technically not in NY, so I'd feel weird with it as a mascot for a NY convention. There are so many things that are more NY than the Statue of Liberty. Most NYers, myself included, have never even been there. On the other hand, I ride the subway all the time.

State lines do say "not in NY", but I asked a buddy of mine, and *his* reaction was that anyone who claims it on that technicality is probably from NJ!

It's probably been 20 yrs. since I've been to the Statue of Liberty. I've lived in NYC since I was 4. I've never been up the WTC or the Empire State Bldg., but the latter is very much the City for me, as I visit Midtown often. It's really the *spirit* of the thing.

saishokushugisha wrote:
I looked at Ooki Saru and saw King Kong, though. Sort of an "American pop culture becoming Japanese" type of concept.

Caught the film reference myself. Just came up w/ a different interpretation than you. The image looks like it's depicting an invasion more than a transformation. Bottom line, it's a giant Japanese ape holding the City hostage! So, reimagining the scene w/ Kong to symbolize Japan is clever, but of questionable taste. (Maybe the little planes should be flying welcome banners?)

Transformation is more prominent in the entries where artists tried to *fuse* various cultural symbols. Like the peach-apple-chibi-catgirl. That thing makes the WTF-list for me.
quietgrrrl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm the illustrator for the Monkey image. I was never my intention to suggest any kind of invasion by Japan of New York. I was thinking more along the lines that King Kong is really America's Big Monster (Kaiju) like Godzilla is Japan's. King Kong was my reference point and King Kong (to me anyway) is American. I actually drew him a little more scary at first but over time made him much more cute. I think I just made him more cute because a mascot is supposed to be fun and I was reallly celebrating the kawaii design tradition that I admire from Japan so I wasn't trying to be provacative. Also, orginally I was playing along with the pun "King Con" as a mascot. name but changed my mind because it's more of a festival than a convention (at least in the title). Anyway, I did the design for fun and not for evil. After hearing some of the feedback in the forum, I wish I could change it now because I'm getting new ideas to improve it. I was also thinking that if I really wanted to illustrate some kind of Japan/America Invasion though, I'd had little Mothras and Rodan's attacking Saru rather than the biplanes (which I think are actually important to getting the King Kong reference). Anyway, thought I would clarify...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3