• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Least Essential Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Is any of the 161 people who claim to have seen Voogie's Angel reading this? I don't even know how I found out about it. I've never seen it. It just exists as an encyclopedia entry to me, which I'd wager makes it more memorable than it would be if I had in fact seen it.

I really didn't know Voogie's Angel was all that rare, I remember buying it off of TRSI when the word was Media Blasters might go away and I thought it might be a good idea to pick up some of those mega-cheap MB titles on sale.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Only thing I've seen from this list is Final Fantasy Unlimited, and I recall pretty much nothing about it save thinking it was mediocre. This almost makes me want to re-watch it. Its been a while, but I always found Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within to be a relatively solid movie, just one that had absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy outside of a guy named Cid.

Babel II is the only anime purchase I can recall my older brother actively hating and selling off eventually. He picked up it because he was big Giant Robo fan. Never saw it myself just because of seeing how much he disliked it.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Judge Of Toyama wrote:

Also I've tried to watch Virus Buster Serge twice now and have not made past the 4th episode. Maybe third times the charm.

I actually really enjoyed Serge. It was a show that had a great idea to start, plummeted around midway through and ran with the downward spiral, making a sort of B-Movie OVA. But then again, different tastes.

Borgman? Oh boy. Nostalgia blast. I watched that when I was young. Like, it was my first anime alongside Esaflowne (the Fox Kids edit FYI)
Awesome as hell soundtrack.

Final Fantasy Unlimited, never seen it but I absolutely loved Spirits Within. Advent Children I found to be crap to be honest.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Just a note:
Magical DoReMI was quite a hit in overseas' TVs. And Soar High! Isami got quite popularity, even if it was as "that obscure anime show".

As for "least essential" anime, I'd point to Blue Noah, Muu no hakugei (aka "White Whale") and Pygmalio

There was Gulliver Boy, whose only selling point -Granzort or Wataru's character designer- could do nothing to help this lackluster videogame adaption.

Oh, and Haunted Junction, the series which fell very, very short to be the success it was meant to be (or we were told it would be) in late 90's.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Doctor Who is way cool. Every bit as cool as bow ties. Cool

Quote:
Nevertheless, ADV Films banked on the strong Final Fantasy brand name, and the series came out on DVD here in North America.

HOURS OF MY LIFE I WILL NEVER GET BACK.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
\

Oh, and Haunted Junction, the series which fell very, very short to be the success it was meant to be (or we were told it would be) in late 90's.

Funny, I actually have quite the soft spot for Haunted Junction. A great show it is not, but it still had a lot of good moments.

I feel like I've seen a lot of shows like this that just seem incredibly forgettable. Probably the one I best remember but no one else seems to is The Adventures of Kotestsu, another ill-fated canceled two episode OAV that ADV never even put out on DVD. A few more honrable mentions go Ayane's High Kick, Takegami: Gaurdians of Darkness, and probably another dozen or so U.S. Manga Corps titles if I were to take the time to try and remember them.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I know these are supposed to be the shows that no one should ever watch ever, but these are exactly the kinds of anime I love to drag out and pop in on a late night and just marvel at how bad they are.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Big Wars....that was a huge stinker of a mind dump of a crazy ride. I still don't understand anything about Devadasy and Dangaioh (the super butchered release, not the whole show) just seemed to be crapped out half heartedly. (Great Dangaioh? Oh, mecha anime, you hurt me so much sometimes....)
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I will never cease to love Haunted Junction. It's stupid, and cheesy and really rather poorly animated, and makes jokes about female-on-male child rape... but... oh man. My fondest memories of 8th grade are just intrinsically tied up in that show. *sigh*

But okay, let's try to think of something obscure... anyone remember Idol Project? I don't remember why I bought it, but... oh god. The whole thing just makes you want to rip your ears off.

And how about Landlock? The two OVAs based on a Sega Saturn game that was never made, smooshed up into one awful, awful movie? That has got to be one of my favorite bad dubs ever, too.

Ahhh, old bad anime. : D
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
This was an interesting article this week. I really have been an anime fan for a long time, because I have heard of almost all those series, but I never checked them out. The descriptions alone were enough to keep me away. However I did see a preview of Jewel Hunter Lime BEM on one of the Rurouni Kenshin VHS. It didn't look interesting to say the least.
Nemoide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
You've got to mention BLUE SONNET!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Squaresoft was so convinced of [Final Fantasy Unlimited's] success, in fact, that the company ordered 52 episodes-- two seasons worth. The show, not surprisingly, didn't really tie in neatly with any other Final Fantasy story, but instead chronicled the journey of a pair of kids into a magical fantasy land that just happened to have chocobos and materia and stuff. In March of 2002, Square sheepishly announced that the show would end after 26 episodes, thanks to sagging ratings and fan response.
Didn't FF:U also get cut short because Square had taken a financial acid bath on The Spirits Within at the time? I'd never call FFU great, but it had some unusual imagery, neat concepts, memorable moments, and at least tolerable characters. I can't help thinking it'll be more memorable than Star Ocean EX, another JRPG-adaptation (which I've seen half of) that finished its run just as FFU started up. And IIRC it was also cut in half.

Of titles mentioned in the article in full or in passing, I've seen all or some of: FFU, Cybernetics Guardian, Big Wars, the Borgman OVAs, Trouble Chocolate, Zaion, and FF:LotC. And I've at least heard of Jewel BEM Hunter.

Some other not-so-memorable ones I've seen include Birth (something about post-apocalyptic dinosaurs, I don't know), Grrl Power! (a sort of fun but completely inconclusive 1-shot OVA ADV put out), and The Judge (another hit from the CPM catalogue).
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I actually loved Advent Children.

Some shows that I didn't love so much: Z-Mind, Sword for Truth, Amazing Nurse Nanako, Sol Bianca: The Legacy... and the list goes on.
I would never recommend those shows to anyone. But, if one were to watch one and end up loving it I wouldn't judge.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Advent Children was a much better Final Fantasy anime than any of the others that have come before, but it's really just [somewhat decent] fanservice.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Is any of the 161 people who claim to have seen Voogie's Angel reading this? I don't even know how I found out about it. I've never seen it. It just exists as an encyclopedia entry to me, which I'd wager makes it more memorable than it would be if I had in fact seen it.

I really didn't know Voogie's Angel was all that rare, I remember buying it off of TRSI when the word was Media Blasters might go away and I thought it might be a good idea to pick up some of those mega-cheap MB titles on sale.

I bought Voogie's Angel from TRSI for $3 thinking "how can I go wrong for that price?" only to find out that, yes I can (hopefully it helped me get free shipping on an order).

I actually bought Cybernetics Guardian twice. That was because I wanted to get Genocyber and MD Geist and it was cheaper to buy the Mecha Masters box than to buy the titles separately. Its inclusion here makes perfect sense to me as the only thing I remember about it is that I did watch it. I can usually remember something about a show, even the really horrible ones, but this one left no impression at all. Another obscure CPM title that left no impression (except that it was weird looking) was Judge.

As for Trouble Chocolate, I saw 2-3 episodes at a convention and for some reason it cracked me up. I was upset to find out it was out of print. A year later at the same convention a vendor was selling it so I bought it. I haven't watched the DVDs yet though.

When I started buying anime on DVD I did not have internet access so I used a copy of The Anime Encyclopedia as my research tool. I read and reread it so much that I have heard of all these titles before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4