• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Cancels Nymphet Release in North America

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
Zac wrote:
ZaWarudo wrote:

No, I believe mt-i was pointing out that calling everyone who reads Kodomo No Jikan a potential child molester and worthy of derision is needlessly insulting and baseless. Way to miss the point.

Well I never called anyone a potential child molester and neither did anyone else in any of these threads so that sounds a bit like a persecution complex to me.

Mohawk has equated posters with the people who kidnapped Maddy McCann several times.
There is only one poster I did that with, and he still hasn't proved me wrong. Show me the others.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:

It's easy to go with the child innocence defense, but I think Golding was more accurate with the innate seed of evil thing in Lord of the Flies, which he wrote after WWII because, like many others at the time, he believed people had to be innately evil to commit such acts. Just look at school ground bullies, not all of them come from bad homes, but rather several of them come from well off families, and their not told their limits. Rather than every child being initially innocent, I personally think they start off with no boundaries and are then taught those boundaries later.
Good lord! I was mistakenly getting slammed for thinking a work of fiction was suppose to be like real life a few posts back and here you are telling me that all children are born the clones of satan, because "Lord of the flies" showed us so, when what Golding was actually portraying was that innocence left to its own devices, devoid of any authoritive guidance, will break down into primative chaos. Rin is another example of this.
Bullies aren't bullies because of social position. Just about every bully is so because somewhere in their own lives they are, or have been bullied themselves, either at home, or somewhere else. Again that too is down to experiences received by examples given by those in charge of said persons.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The problem with saying that everything that is fictional is just fiction is somewhat bogus. Sure, it may not have happened, but there's still the possiblility that it could have happened. That's where, in my eyes, there's a line between good fictional works and bad ones. A book that shows things that can happen tends to be better because he know there's a chance that it can happen and it tends to make us think about what we would do in such a situation. A good example in comparison for the Lord of the Flies is whjat would happen if it was all girls, or if it was half and half? Fiction tends to look at the "could haves" in situations, in which there really is a large amount of them, now, the possibility of those "could haves" may be low, but there's still that chance.

Also, I wasn't saying that all children were clones of satan because Golding said so, rather that I believe he was accurate in that not everyone is born a blank sheet, but rather with all of our primal instincts and that later we must be taught which instincts should be repressed because they're "bad" and which ones we should keep because they're "good." We pt stigmas on several things that society in general sees as wrong, bt if you remove society, the only thing that's left is the will to survive, and in cases like that we don't think what's morally right or wrong, we think about how to keep living.

Oh yea, as for what would happen if the island had both girls and boys on it, our english class (which, mind you, was one with the intellectuals of the school, i.e. the gifted students) all agreed that the guys would have raped the women by the end of the book, pretty much how they sodomized the female pig. But as I mentioned before, it is just one of the possibilities that could have arisen. Will we find out what would have happened in such a situation? No, because we wouldn't want our children in such a situation, but is it wrong to portray such a situation in a fictional work? I don't think so because it helps us guide our chhildren from suchs acts.
otakujohn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:

It's easy to go with the child innocence defense, but I think Golding was more accurate with the innate seed of evil thing in Lord of the Flies, which he wrote after WWII because, like many others at the time, he believed people had to be innately evil to commit such acts. Just look at school ground bullies, not all of them come from bad homes, but rather several of them come from well off families, and their not told their limits. Rather than every child being initially innocent, I personally think they start off with no boundaries and are then taught those boundaries later.
Good lord! I was mistakenly getting slammed for thinking a work of fiction was suppose to be like real life a few posts back and here you are telling me that all children are born the clones of satan, because "Lord of the flies" showed us so, when what Golding was actually portraying was that innocence left to its own devices, devoid of any authoritive guidance, will break down into primative chaos. Rin is another example of this.
Bullies aren't bullies because of social position. Just about every bully is so because somewhere in their own lives they are, or have been bullied themselves, either at home, or somewhere else. Again that too is down to experiences received by examples given by those in charge of said persons.

First of all, I've found most bullies to be spoiled brats at home that weren't disciplined enough. They learned that they could get away with a LOT so they continued to do so right up into adulthood.
Humans just like any other animals on this planet run off instinct very early in their lives. However humans differ from most other animals in that we are highly social creatures. Humans aren't exactly friendly creatures if left to survive on instinct alone. It's not that hard to understand.
You can call starting out with base animal instincts a "blank slate" if you want, but what shapes a person are the people he or she interacts with. You can try to protect children from the evils of the world until you're blue in the face, but that won't stop them from learning things that you might find unsavory from their peers behind your back. No one is innocent, and trying to smash someone into that mold is dangerous.
I have always maintained that raising a child shut away from the world is far more damaging that being open and honest regardless of the topic at hand. If you really want to raise an intelligent child you should be willing to teach them everything about what society calls good and bad so they can see the contrast in vivid detail. Also, letting them make their own educated choices about religion is a good idea too.
Personally, I grew up in a very open-minded liberal household and I came out just fine. Sure, I had a couple of missteps growing up, but overall I came out on top. I'm not going to blow my own horn, but let's just say I do very well for myself.
This is pure conjecture, but had I grown up in a very shut in, super-conservative Christian household, I probably wouldn't be as successful and well-rounded as I am today. I know I certainly wouldn't know as much as I do about Astrophysics and Cosmology.
Anyway, from what I've seen so far, it seems to me Rin is a rather disturbed kid trying to get attention in some pretty interesting ways. It's not exactly realistic, but it does illustrate that she's not quite right upstairs. I feel sorry for Rin actually.
I also haven't seen anything so far that is overly nasty in the material. Hell Hustler cartoons have more offensive material. Unless there's something REALLY shockingly revolting later, I'd buy this if given the chance.
Soverene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
okay, I think weve gone massively off topic here. My original point was simply that despite the whole freedom thing, there are still rules. Though most of these tend to apply to simply WHEN you can print/say certain things, there is still some stuff that is altogether not allowed. These rules are created by the majority. I was saying this in response to someones complaint that "they didn't like other people deciding what they could read". My point being, thats the way it works even in a democracy.

And I've been saying over and over that no, that's not what a democracy is. A democracy is not supposed to decide what people can do on that level. If in a democracy the majority were allowed to decide what the minority could do then they could restrict them to not being allowed to do anything. That's not how a democracy works, stop claiming that.

Edit: And I'd say this is relevant, because frankly SS's own statement that it was not public opinion which made them decide, but they looked at later volumes and decided on their own, it just doesn't hold.
So what they're saying is that not only did they license something without even checking the content, but even when people started complaining and they initially stood by their decision, they still decided that there was not need to check out the later volumes to see what people were actually talking about?

They realized that there were alot of people who didn't like it and succumbed to not publish it to protect their sales. Then they make some stuff up to cover their asses so that people won't say they succumbed to public pressure.

What's wrong with just.. you know.. not reading the manga if you don't like it? That's what I normally do.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
I think that episode of Penn and Teller's BS that I mentioned before would suit that very well. The episode title for it is Humbug in honor of Harry Houdini . That being said, they bring up the first ammendment throughout the entire episode and make very valid points such as the first ammendment was put in place to protect the rights of the vocal minority. It's not like you see too many people out there boycotting Mickey Mouse. It's something you'd really have to watch because I'm not that great at describing shows. That being said, they also bring up good points in their other episodes.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote
Soverene wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
okay, I think weve gone massively off topic here. My original point was simply that despite the whole freedom thing, there are still rules. Though most of these tend to apply to simply WHEN you can print/say certain things, there is still some stuff that is altogether not allowed. These rules are created by the majority. I was saying this in response to someones complaint that "they didn't like other people deciding what they could read". My point being, thats the way it works even in a democracy.

And I've been saying over and over that no, that's not what a democracy is. A democracy is not supposed to decide what people can do on that level. If in a democracy the majority were allowed to decide what the minority could do then they could restrict them to not being allowed to do anything. That's not how a democracy works, stop claiming that.

Maybe thats the problem, youre just saying the same thing over and over. Also, the flaw in your arguements is that you jump back and forth from "should" to "is". Theyre two very very different things. If you're talking about how a democracy "should" be then were really discussing two different things. True, I guess what you're saying could happen but then thats really kinda an "anythings possible" scenario. Im not sure if youre misinterpreting what Im saying or if youre still hung up on what I originally said. I don't see how you can possibly deny that there are things in our society that we are not allowed to do. Youve heard of laws right?

Soverene wrote:
[Edit: And I'd say this is relevant, because frankly SS's own statement that it was not public opinion which made them decide, but they looked at later volumes and decided on their own, it just doesn't hold.
So what they're saying is that not only did they license something without even checking the content, but even when people started complaining and they initially stood by their decision, they still decided that there was not need to check out the later volumes to see what people were actually talking about?

They did review the first couple volumes of it. Those were the only volumes out at the time. They didn't and still dont find anything wrong with those volumes. Uppon conterversy arising, they explained their initial oppinion but would look into it in more detail. went and reviewed the now released later volumes which they did find to be innapropriate.

Quote:
They realized that there were alot of people who didn't like it and succumbed to not publish it to protect their sales. Then they make some stuff up to cover their asses so that people won't say they succumbed to public pressure.

Theres no definitive way to say which is true. I found their explanation satisfactory. if you didn't then fine, chock it up to peer pressure.

Quote:
What's wrong with just.. you know.. not reading the manga if you don't like it? That's what I normally do.

Well, theres a number of reasons. Firstly, theres the issue of it causing damage to Manga's reputation or causing a scandal. The main reason though is just human nature. If we feel that something is really wrong, we usually feel that it shouldnt exist. Again, Im not commenting on how things should be, just how they are. Alot of people think that this stuff is highly offensive and threrefore should not be published. If people didn't like Nymphet but really didn't feel that strongly, they probably would just be willing to not read it. But people feel strongly enough that they dont think it should be printed at all.
Miitan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
Democracy is voting for the person you dislike least.

- Some guy who's name escapes me
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
They did review the first couple volumes of it. Those were the only volumes out at the time. They didn't and still don't find anything wrong with those volumes. Uppon conterversy arising, they explained their initial oppinion but would look into it in more detail. went and reviewed the now released later volumes which they did find to be innapropriate.

I honestly can't see how they can read the first volume, not see anything wrong with it, and then find some things wrong in those specific pages in the third volume because the first volume has worse scenes in it, including that scene with the sign that everyone mentions, as well as her in a see through baby doll (the one in the link isn't see through). I'm sorry, but saying the later volumes are worse just seems like an excuse when he gives those pages as examples when there's worse in the earlier ones.
Soverene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
IWell, theres a number of reasons. Firstly, theres the issue of it causing damage to Manga's reputation or causing a scandal.

Firstly, you cannot say for certain beforehand what the reactions would be. Secondly, are we banning things because we're afraid of what other people will think of us as a community? Because that feels rather sad to me.

ikillchicken wrote:

The main reason though is just human nature. If we feel that something is really wrong, we usually feel that it shouldnt exist. Again, Im not commenting on how things should be, just how they are.

I am aware of the difference between "should be" and "is". Unlike you however I am able to question that maybe the way things are is wrong. I'm saying that people should not be allowed to ban things they disapprove of, when they could just avoid reading it. You saying "well that's the way it is" is not much of an argument against that. I am fully aware that is how it is, I'm making a point that it should not be like that.

Also, as previously said by people above me, later volumes aren't really any worse. Since they were so sure and stood by their decision after having read only the first volume, they couldn't possibly consider the third volume that much more controversial when it really isn't any worse than the first volume. It's a poor excuse.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ignorantman wrote:
Quote:
2) As graduate student in japanese language & culture (major) I happen to have lived for two years in Japan, and you Sir, you're lame flamer.

So why did you go back to Switzerland?

Because I was constantly harassed by 3rd grade girls :-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
What's so unbelievable about SS's claim they looked at the first volume to license an ongoing title? They'd have no way to know what direction the story was going unless they got a detailed outline from the author to know where she planed to take it. Others are saying how good the story is getting in VOlume 3 as we see a possible reason for her behavior & what a jerk some guy (Reiji?) is. (Is there a rule about Reiji's? Seems like a popular name for jerks) Maybe that's the direction they're uncomfortable with.

Look at all those manga titles ADV abandond.
I remember TP seemed to license Spiral, now it looks like Broccoli has it.

It's done. I was pissed ADV dropped Tactics. then Manga picked it up & 1 dvd from finishing, we're on hold. Life in the licensing jungle.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Soverene wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
IWell, theres a number of reasons. Firstly, theres the issue of it causing damage to Manga's reputation or causing a scandal.

Firstly, you cannot say for certain beforehand what the reactions would be. Secondly, are we banning things because we're afraid of what other people will think of us as a community? Because that feels rather sad to me.

I obviously never said it was guarunteed to do so. If you find that sad thats unfortunate. In a different situation I might agree with you. In this case though, I think it would be just foolish to ignore. Its one thing to say I dont care what other people think, but there could be masive conciquences. In the event of a scandal, we could see many stores no longer willing to carry manga. We will see people trying to ban it (and maybe succeding) from shcools or not letting their kids read it. This all will cost the industry a ton of money. Its foolhardy to just ignore this danger.

Soverene wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

The main reason though is just human nature. If we feel that something is really wrong, we usually feel that it shouldnt exist. Again, Im not commenting on how things should be, just how they are.

I am aware of the difference between "should be" and "is". Unlike you however I am able to question that maybe the way things are is wrong. I'm saying that people should not be allowed to ban things they disapprove of, when they could just avoid reading it. You saying "well that's the way it is" is not much of an argument against that. I am fully aware that is how it is, I'm making a point that it should not be like that.

Also, as previously said by people above me, later volumes aren't really any worse. Since they were so sure and stood by their decision after having read only the first volume, they couldn't possibly consider the third volume that much more controversial when it really isn't any worse than the first volume. It's a poor excuse.

Great, you think thats how it should be. Now go out and change the world! cause thats not how it is now. The same think youre saying applies to your arguement as well. Im not arguing against (or even commenting on) how things "should" be. If you cant stop getting hung up on how things should be, then you shouldnt bother posting on this discussion about how things are.

I wont comment on wether the later volumes are worse or not. I haven't read them. Again, I found their explanation satisfactory.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:35 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Ignorantman wrote:
Quote:
2) As graduate student in japanese language & culture (major) I happen to have lived for two years in Japan, and you Sir, you're lame flamer.

So why did you go back to Switzerland?

Because I was constantly harassed by 3rd grade girls Smile
Or the police got too close to you doing the opposite.
Soverene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Great, you think thats how it should be. Now go out and change the world! cause thats not how it is now. The same think youre saying applies to your arguement as well. Im not arguing against (or even commenting on) how things "should" be. If you can't stop getting hung up on how things should be, then you shouldnt bother posting on this discussion about how things are.

I wont comment on wether the later volumes are worse or not. I haven't read them. Again, I found their explanation satisfactory.

You can't have discussions about how things are in this scenario. We are all aware of how things are, it is solid facts. What we can discuss is whether or not this was a good decision, and I claim that it's not, and that allowing people to ban manga they don't personally like will cause more damage than potentially getting people who doesn't even read manga upset by having it published.

As for later volumes, I haven't read them, but I've seen some pictures which people posted to show how much worse it became in later volumes. Frankly, those people are liars. It's not any worse than in the very first volume (which by the way pretty much kicks off with the teacher walking in on Rin while she's only wearing panties, shown from behind, but still)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16