• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shota Community, Other LiveJournal Accounts Suspended

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Fandom_counts is over 15,000 members now. Seeing as how the community was made less than 6 hours ago, that's pretty damn impressive.

The "revolt" has gotten even more amusing now. Apparently they have their own theme song now. The chosen song is "Hoist the Colours" from the Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. And oh yeah, the official name now is "Strikethrough '07".

This seriously cracks me up. Threaten a fangirl's "right" to post little nasties about their favourite characters, or to drool over their favorite underaged videogame characters and all hell breaks loose.

Laughing

Fandom is scary in a sense. I wonder if they actually have the numbers to put a dent in LJ. They're threatening protest activities for the next 7 days before moving on to other blogging sites.

What exactly do they want? No one knows. Anime exclamation
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Fandom_counts is over 15,000 members now. Seeing as how the community was made less than 6 hours ago, that's pretty damn impressive.

The "revolt" has gotten even more amusing now. Apparently they have their own theme song now. The chosen song is "Hoist the Colours" from the Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. And oh yeah, the official name now is "Strikethrough '07".

This seriously cracks me up. Threaten a fangirl's "right" to post little nasties about their favourite characters, or to drool over their favorite underaged videogame characters and all hell breaks loose.

Laughing

Fandom is scary in a sense. I wonder if they actually have the numbers to put a dent in LJ. They're threatening protest activities for the next 7 days before moving on to other blogging sites.

Stuff like this makes me think they get off way, way more on the thought of being "persecuted" and engaging in this melodramatic nonsense than they actually enjoy their underage slash fiction or whatever.

Seems like everyone's racing to see who can appear to be the most "oppressed minority" in a situation that has none.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

By anyone's count. Although I don't 100% agree with them, I doff my cap to their organization skills on that.

Quote:

Rolling Eyes Please tell me you're kidding.

Quote:

Narcissim, pure and simple. However, if they're mostly Yaoi fangirls, I suggest getting out of their way -- those stupid wooden paddles hurt! Laughing
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
i feel that these people have too much time on there hands. Who made it their "duty" to do such things- Livejournal has people for that- they should let them do their own damn job.

while i'm on this i'm going to rant for a second.

What I said above aplies to the phony cops on any Fanfiction site. Where did these people get off thinking they were elected to be the police? Don't they have real mordern day jobs?

Why do people decided they have to be "heros of the internet"? Theres no prize in such a thing. don't get me wrong- I understand fully if they were posting pics of real people geting raped or whatnot. Or if the people were talking about raping kids or anyone esle. They just need to look at what they do before they delete it.

But that group needs to get a grip and get off the computer once and awhile. Why don't they try stopping some of the crime in their negihborhoods or doing something someone asks of them.

its another case of not reading before you do. Or say something.
The internet is having a bad day. This crap is so annoying.

Edit: joined Fandom_counts 16,932 and counting

Last edited by britannicamoore on Wed May 30, 2007 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else see the irony about this subject matter and the Miss Universe pageant? I think one can find a good amount of symbolism with Miss America's fall, the Mexicans laughing at her, and then Miss Japan winning~
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Laughing

Stuff like this makes me think they get off way, way more on the thought of being "persecuted" and engaging in this melodramatic nonsense than they actually enjoy their underage slash fiction or whatever.

Seems like everyone's racing to see who can appear to be the most "oppressed minority" in a situation that has none.

If you don't mind me asking, so then, what do you guys suggest that they do?

Sit there and watch all their work get destroyed, when it's not even pedophilic in nature?

I'll agree that fandom is scary, but I don't necessarily appreciate that comment: "Threaten a fangirl's "right" to post little nasties about their favourite characters, or to drool over their favorite underaged videogame characters and all hell breaks loose."

Because, I had the impression that the issue was that some innocent journals and communities that didn't pose any harm were deleted; that the way that LJ and WIF is conducting this isn't the most intelligent solution.

Is it so bad to try and change something? I guess, I'm obviously not seeing your view.

I'm proud of Fandom_counts. Currently 16,849 and growing.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Horitsuba: If your deleted stuff was something that should have been deleted, people should accept it and move on. Its their right to delete w/e they want.

If it was something that shouldnt have been deleted, I would suggest this: It is still their right to delete it, but I doubt that it was their intention to do so. In a calm and civilized way without painting yourself as some discriminated against victim, contact them and request that they restore your account and page. If they wont, Ill refer you back to the first one. Accept it and move on.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Horitsuba wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, so then, what do you guys suggest that they do?

Sit there and watch all their work get destroyed, when it's not even pedophilic in nature?

Uh, maybe find out if their stuff was deleted for a valid reason or not and if so, find another free journal site to use. If not, ask to have it restored.

But I guess screaming about it like you've just been denied the right to vote and singing protest songs you got from last weekend's box office champ is more effective.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
pat_payne wrote:
jgreen wrote:
Wow, Abarenbo Shogun, my respect for you just PLUMMETED. It's a private company deleting content from its own website, content that the VAST majority of users don't even pay for the privelege of posting.

Let me echo that. Abarenbo Shogun, I have no respect for you any more. You lost it when you spit in the face of the victims of Auschwitz, Treblinka, Sobobor, Babi Yar, Bergen-Belsen, Dachau, Ravensbruck, Mauthhausen, and the other points in the archipelago of murder by comparing their indescribable hell to the deletions of forums at LiveJournal.

How dare you?

And how dare you blatantly accuse me of being a Holocoust Denier.

He never said you were denying the Holocaust, he said you were trivializing it. Which you are.[/quote]

No, he's accusing me of being a Holocoust Denier.

You know what, let's get back to the topic at hand. I ain't apologizing for my comments, and you guys hate me. Agree to disagree.

And PROTIP: I also offended Polish people, Gypsies, and "Retards." Where is your sympathy for them?
pat_payne

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

No, he's accusing me of being a Holocoust Denier.

You know what, let's get back to the topic at hand. I ain't apologizing for my comments, and you guys hate me. Agree to disagree.

No, let's not get back to the topic at hand. You want to deflect from my calling you on your argumentam ad nazium by making a libellous statement (to wit I tarred you with a false charge of denial) because you got your hand slapped. Once again, I accused you of doing like so many other intellectually-lazy debaters have done -- make yourself into a martyr by clothing your issue in a concentration camp uniform, a supremely offensive act in my opinion.. Make your opponents into the ideological descendants of the Nazis rather than engage with them as they really are. It's so much easier to fight a straw man than the real thing, isn't it? Much more one-sided too...

I did not, and would not accuse you of the charge that your straw man in my likeness leveled.
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
My stuff wasn't deleted. I was not affected, other than the spam of my F-List.

Yes. I realize that LiveJournal has a right to delete whatever they want, however, that's not the issue. I know they have the right, but also, I firmly believe that we have a right to create Fandom_counts, to show them our displeasure. I'm still failing to see how that is bad. (And no. I'm not arguing the First Amendment stuff.)

Also, how many sources have you guys read? You make us seem as if we just found out that they deleted this stuff (when infact, it has been going on for days. It just reached it's peak last night), and then we went, "OMG! CREATE FANDOM_COUNTS!!11 ITLL SOLVE EVEYTING!" D:

Wrong. There have been countless people that have written letters to LiveJournal's abuse team and they have basically said:

"Well, sorry, but we won't do that, even if we know some are just RPGs."

Don't you think we already tried?

And, where in the world, do you see screaming and official theme songs? I've been following several journals the whole day and I don't see any of that. Kindly link?

I believe that companies like feedback. In my opinion, Fandom_counts, is a form of feedback. It's not like we've attacked the servers or anything. D:

Do you sit down and let things unfairly pass you? No matter how big or small, I don't think that it should be allowed to pass. Small things accumulate into bigger problems. Even if this form of protest does not do anything to LiveJournal, then at least we let them know our opinions.

18,114 and growing.

Last edited by Horitsuba on Wed May 30, 2007 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Horitsuba wrote:

Do you sit down and let things unfairly pass you?

Er, no. In fact I have a bad reputation apparently for speaking out against things I disagree with.

These people have every right to do what they're doing and more power to 'em. But I am seeing a lot of Nazi arguments and a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over this - especially on the pages of the founders of this whole fandom_counts thing. That's what gets me - when they lay claim to being persecuted victims.

It's just Livejournal. Being upset is one thing. Making holocaust comparisons and acting like your rights are being violated is another. That's it.
tarrin4ever

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it was bad when these crusaders called themselves "Warriors for Innocence", but it's 10x worse when the other side makes themselves out to be the "freedom fighter" resistance. This isn't Star Wars people!!

Well... now nobody is free of looking stupid any more from this.

Edit:: Ok, the whole group isn't like that. Never mind. I'll still laugh at the pirate inspired ones though.

I still think it stands to reason that LJ admins take a closer look at what they're deleting. Everyone can agree to that, right?

So far from what I've heard, these things being wrongly deleted haven't been "recovered" or "restored" as of yet.

And if it comes back, no big deal. LJ would do the usual "sorry, my bad", we'd be all "s-ok, u roxxors."[/i]

Last edited by tarrin4ever on Thu May 31, 2007 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Horitsuba wrote:

Do you sit down and let things unfairly pass you?

Er, no. In fact I have a bad reputation apparently for speaking out against things I disagree with.

These people have every right to do what they're doing and more power to 'em. But I am seeing a lot of Nazi arguments and a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over this - especially on the pages of the founders of this whole fandom_counts thing. That's what gets me - when they lay claim to being persecuted victims.

It's just Livejournal. Being upset is one thing. Making holocaust comparisons and acting like your rights are being violated is another. That's it.

Ah, I get the misunderstanding now. I was not talking at all about the History/Nazi stuff/debate that was going on earlier.

I was talking in reference to the fangirl comment. I felt it was uncalled for.

As for being victims. That's definitely not how I see Fandom_counts and others shouldn't either. I see that community as a form of feedback or protest without doing any harm to anyone. If LJ wants to close that. Good for them. It doesn't matter because we have seen the numbers and if you read Vichan's LJ, you'll notice that's what she wanted. She writes this in 24 languages:

Quote:
Livejournal has over 13 million journals created.

How many of those journals belong to members of fandom?

Let's find out.

She admits she doesn't have any plan to do anything with it as of now. She wanted to see the numbers.

18,603 and growing. :]
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry did I miss something, because I thought all net browsers had a back button and a content filter function. Shocked

Yes this is getting out of hand. If you come across a page with content you don't like just leave it. If you have kids and you don't want them surfing to these so called questionable sites, use your browser filter function or set up your kids account so that they cannot access certain web sites. That's just common sense, but oh ish, I forgot we live in America, the land of foolish, and the home of the socially illiterate... There's a ton of stuff on the net, I don't have a taste for, but I stay away from it, and as far as I am concerned I don't care what people want to blog about, as long as it's not criminal in nature. I can't put my finger on the criminal aspects of Goth Loli, or Shota themes, but that's just me and my common sense thing.

The bottom line is, people have the right to blog about what they want, period. [/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8