• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump, Shojo Beat Shake Up Manga Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Honey and Clover! Very Happy

I've been really keen on starting this title, and I haven't gotten around to watching the anime yet, so the manga will be a great start for me. Though the fact that the GNs will be released slowly due to serialization and the fact that I don't subscribe to SB saddens me a little. Well, it's nothing really worth complaining about.

& I'm surprised that Harukanaru got licensed for release as well. I've only heard of it through the anime, and it doesn't seem to be a very well-known title around these parts. It'll be interesting to see how well it'll fare here.

Nebs wrote:
Why NANA? I thought that was Shojo Beat's flagship series.

I'm a little mystified with Nana leaving the magazine too. It's pretty much SB's most popular title in the magazine, yet they're getting rid of it? I personally don't mind, though I don't see why they'd remove one of their (if not the) most popular title in SB out of serialization. That'd almost be like removing Naruto from SJ. Confused

marie-antoinette wrote:
Wow, I am shocked that NANA is out of the magazine, though I would bet that the reasoning for such a move would be the fact that it's fairly long for a shoujo series and thus it would take a really long time for the manga to be fully released.

I dunno. Personally, I think that a flagship/popular title is needed to pull in some more sales, and Nana seems to be that title. I don't know exactly how popular Nana is in the mag, though IMO if the series is popular enough, it shouldn't matter too much how long the title is.

Anime_Freak wrote:
Why're they ending SK in SJ?! Mad I like both the SK anime and manga.

Because out of all the other titles in SJ, Shaman King is the least marketable at this moment, and out of the three that no longer have any marketing potential left (Shaman King, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Yu-Gi-Oh!), it's the longest. YGO should end this year, and it makes sense to keep YYH until the end with only 7 volumes-worth of material, though the release has been slowed down, which worries me.

Ohoni wrote:
Hopefully this means they'll be accelerating their GN releases o Shaman King, that series is really great in manga form.

Shaman King will be released bi-monthly starting in January 2008. I forgot to include that little bit when I submitted the news. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the chapters from the graphic novels of Naruto released under "Naruto Nation" later this year are also going to be serialized in Shonen Jump?

Or will I have to buy some GNs to see all the chapters before they switch the magazine to the manga equivalent of Shippuden in the January 2008 issue?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprised they are taking NANA out of the magazine, but I'll be happy to get my GNs quicker. I can't say I'll miss Baby&Me much. It had some decent chapters every now and then, but it was very hit or miss and missed more than it hit for me. I look forward to both of the new additions as I liked the Honey & Clover anime (or at least the first season that I saw) and I've always been interested in Harukawhatsit but never got around to checking out the fansubs because there is too much other stuff.

I stopped reading the Shonen Jump magazine a long time ago and I don't care bout Shaman King or Bo^7, so I don't really care about the SJ side of things.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
So the time has finally come to buy the Shaman King graphic novels... can't say I'm upset. I've been expecting it to exit for several months now.

I cna say I'm dissapointed in the replacement title... as much as I like my manic comedies, BoBoBo doesn't do it for me. Well, my brother will be happy, anyway... he spotted the DVD cover at Best Buy, and wants to more about it. (Leave it ti him to be drawn by a picture of a guy with nosehair whips and a big yellow afro.)

I'm as surprised as everyoen else by NANA's exit... I know SB rotates titles faster than SJ... but that wasn't one I'd expect to leave! Looking forward to the new additions tho', they sound good.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Well, I couldn't care less about SB, but the SJ news is good for me... anytime something gets pulled from the magazine, I rejoice... it's a waste of time and space... I just want my damn tanks, thank you very much... it's nice to see I'll be able to finish Shaman King while I'm still in my twenties...
As for Bo^7, I loved the one volume they released, as messed up and confusing as it was, and I've been cursing them for marketing it in such a strange way... now that it's getting serialized, I guess I can count on more GN's coming out... too bad I have to wait for the magazine to get it first... here's to another never-ending serialization... Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote
Louie:
Quote:
Of course, Bobobo really pisses me off as it is unfunny and unenjoyable

Yeah, why can't the characters in Bo^7 expand their heads and blurt out stupid comments like in OP? Rolling Eyes

Celes:
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I really disliked that series, it literally put me to sleep almost every time I read it and the art made my eyes water.

Maybe you should try a less "challenging" title like Yu Gi Oh GX. Razz
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Louie:
Quote:
Of course, Bobobo really pisses me off as it is unfunny and unenjoyable

Yeah, why can't the characters in Bo^7 expand their heads and blurt out stupid comments like in OP? Rolling Eyes

The difference is that there's a lot more going on in One Piece than the comedy relief moments. In Bobobo, that's ALL there is. Besides, another manga's quality doesn't somehow make a completely separate manga better or worse.

I wonder what the other new manga in Jump will be. My money's on D.Gray-Man.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
They already discussed SK leaving SJ over on the manga thread here in the forums.

SJ has really been dragged out. Realistically after all these yrs, we should be a bit further, but they cut the pages back when so we don't get enough chapters per month. We're still on Chopper's story on OP aren't we? It's goiong to take forever to get anywhere. So yeah, SK's my fav title in SJ. I was surprized my fav chaaracter is popular with so many others, but I've seen a lot of people comment on Faust's return, so maybe they felt it was a good time--enough people like Faust, they'll continue with the graphic novels. I look forward to moving quicker. At a certain point, I get to the "Just wrap it up" mode on a lot of these titles.
And YEAH! Bobobo!

As for Nana, I was more upset when they pulled Cain out, though I haven't bothered witht he GN's. It taught me SB is very much a marketing tool. Get 'em reading the story, then pull it out, forcing 'em to buy the GN's, then put another title in. SB's always felt more commercial in that respect.

Gee, no love for Vamp Knight? I love it. Nana pissed me off long ago--I've been in my shojo love/hate mode since that whole thing with her boyfriend, Maybe this one I'll be able to cold turkey since it's being pulled from the zine. I bought Boys Over Flowers far too long after I started hating the heroine for her idiocy.
And I look forward to Harukanaru, I was sort of hoping with Saiukoku licensed by Geneon, someone would bring us this anime & with the manga making it over, maybe someone will.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
Wyvern:
Quote:
The difference is that there's a lot more going on in One Piece than the comedy relief moments. In Bobobo, that's ALL there is.

Yeah, right. The people living in Bo's fro have more depth than the pirates in One Piece.

Yueh:
Quote:
Realistically after all these yrs, we should be a bit further, but they cut the pages back when so we don't get enough chapters per month. We're still on Chopper's story on OP aren't we? It's goiong to take forever to get anywhere.

As long as OP is still going on in Japan, what's the hurry?

Quote:
So yeah, SK's my favorite title in SJ.

I liked Shaman King until it got to the tournament. The supporting characters are lame, and Yoh hardly fights anymore.

Quote:
It taught me SB is very much a marketing tool. Get 'em reading the story, then pull it out, forcing 'em to buy the GN's, then put another title in.

Viz has to make money off the TPBs. And fans don't want to wait five times as long for certain titles to end, because of the fewer chapters being published per month.

Quote:
I bought Boys Over Flowers far too long after I started hating the heroine for her idiocy.

If it helps, I bought the Paradise Kiss anime, and I mostly hated the manga. But that's only because I'm getting tired of shows with crap theme songs, and PK's one of the few that actually has a good soundtrack.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
(Leave it ti him to be drawn by a picture of a guy with nosehair whips and a big yellow afro.)

Don't expose him to any of the *chans then. He'll take that Afro concept to the extreme.

Plus why not expose him to Nabeshin, the original afro wearing dude??
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Why NANA? I thought that was Shojo Beat's flagship series. I'd imagine a lot of fans being upset about it leaving the magazine (my sister for one).

I never really thought of Honey & Clover as a Shojo series. Either way, I'll have to borrow my sister's issues just to read that. ^^

I thought Viz would never have the guts to take it out of the magazine, but I guess they're hoping that the SB crowd is older, and will understand that graphic novels will come out faster if the series isn't in the magazine. Of course, I'm curious to see what this does to magazine sales.

Shaman King is an interesting title to take out of SJ... That was the only reason I bought the magazine every once in a while. Hmm. Oh well. Hopefully, they'll keep running specials and extras to make it worth buying some more =D (Like the May issue with the full color chapter of Bleach)

...And thank goodness Baby and Me is out of there. I'd take Honey and Clover (and Harukanaru Toki no Naka De, which I've been wanting to read ever since I picked up an issue of Lala last fall) over it any day. Unfortunately, my "motherly" instincts and "cute baby!" senses weren't activated on that series >_>;;
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Plus why not expose him to Nabeshin, the original afro wearing dude??

As I myself am a big Nabeshin fan, he's well aware of him. Laughing He also swipes the chest hair afro wig that came with my Hare+Guu set every once in awhile.

If he ends up liking it, I might have to get him some BoBoBo stuff for Christmas...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder if any of the Blue Dragon manga might be entering SJ later this year, like RalΩGrado or something.

Oh wait, definitely not RalΩGrado, remember the main character's antics...Maybe Secret Trick, then?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wyvern:
Quote:
The difference is that there's a lot more going on in One Piece than the comedy relief moments. In Bobobo, that's ALL there is.

Yeah, right. The people living in Bo's fro have more depth than the pirates in One Piece. .

Thank you.
Comedy tastes can be very specific, but crazy humor like Bobobo is great in my book.
They're both running in the same zine, so one doesn't have to choose. Bobobo has a plot, they just get distractred more often

GATSU wrote:
Yueh:
Quote:
Realistically after all these yrs, we should be a bit further, but they cut the pages back when so we don't get enough chapters per month. We're still on Chopper's story on OP aren't we? It's goiong to take forever to get anywhere.

As long as OP is still going on in Japan, what's the hurry?.

I don't know, I sort of would like to be finished sometime in my lifetime. If we're this far behind, will we ever catch up? Weekly Shonen Jump=about 4 chapter per month. American SHonen Jump-about 2 per month. The dust is hardly visible any longer. We'll never catch up.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
So yeah, SK's my favorite title in SJ.

I liked Shaman King until it got to the tournament. The supporting characters are lame, and Yoh hardly fights anymore. .

I like Faust & Ren & HoroHoro. Yoh's pretty much the standard underachiever hero we see in titles like Law of Ueki. Hmm. Like Goku who never worked a day job. ChiChi was always complaining he never brought home a paycheck, just fight,fight, fight. You know if Anna weren't lighting a fire under his butt, Yoh wouldn't even be in the competition.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
It taught me SB is very much a marketing tool. Get 'em reading the story, then pull it out, forcing 'em to buy the GN's, then put another title in.

Viz has to make money off the TPBs. And fans don't want to wait five times as long for certain titles to end, because of the fewer chapters being published per month.

Quote:
I bought Boys Over Flowers far too long after I started hating the heroine for her idiocy.

If it helps, I bought the Paradise Kiss anime, and I mostly hated the manga. But that's only because I'm getting tired of shows with crap theme songs, and PK's one of the few that actually has a good soundtrack.

She's another idiot hero? I have no patience for the usual shojo heroine. Like Nana. A dozen volumes is usually my limit on any of them. From Far Away made 14 without my hating her. Red River-I'm not sick of the heroing, but the villain, This is going to stretch out forever.

I was thinking we'd run out of Baby & Me sometime. It's an up & down title for me-interesting one month, dull the next. I figured they might just let it run, but when they pulled Cain, I very much got the impression that, unlike SJ, SB will have a higher turn-around, maybe because here gals are a major force in manga purchases. I remember the Comic-Con panels one yr--guys kept asking about this or that title & several panels said, sorry, the gal audience were buying lots of manga & everyone in the industry wanted a piece of it so the companies were looking for a share of titles to draw the gals in.
For years the American comic industry put out their superheroes appealing to a largely male audience & said girls just don't really buy comics. Manga has proven that belief very wrong. So unlike the male audience which is already comfortabel with buying comic books, the gal audience is "new money" The money we spend on manga isn't money lost from Spiderman or Batman, but money that would otherwise go for clothes or other girly things.

So Viz CAN run a title for a year, pull it out & we'll follow. I'm surprised Nana lasted so long considering how popular it is. I'm a bit surprised Baby & Me is getting pulled out because I didn't think it had a large enough following.

Now with Naruto, I'm almost suspecting a "srtike while the iron's hot" mentality. It's hot now, but will it fade in a year or 2 like YuGiOh is a fading title? I really believe the motivation is they don't want to be stuck with 3 yrs worth of manga left when then the popularity dies. Dump it all now to get closer to where it is in Japan so if the mania dies, they'll have made their money. Kids are a tough market to gauge. Will they stick with manga. or "grow out of it"? Will a 12 yr old buying Naruto today still want to buy it in 5 yrs, or will he be saving up for a car/girlfriend/other interests? Maybe they better soak him for all his allowance now.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
-insert deity here- be praised! I'm so happy that they'll be releasing SK bimonthly next year! And hey, since it's no longer in SJ, maybe they'll lighten up on the censorship a little? Please? -doubts that will happen-

Anyway, I gave up on the SK scans even though it's my favorite manga and the only acception to my 'I don't like shounen tournament stories' rule (The scan group was just so slow >.>). I can't wait to finally finish it, although I've heard the ending is as much of a waste as the anime's ending....

-wonders if Viz plans to license Funbari no Uta and Mappa Douji too-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5