• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Where Are They Now?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry about Manglobe! They're adapting an eroge for this Fall season!

anime#12570
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap...somebody else on the planet has read Hotel? Shocked I don't even consider myself a manga fan, but I stumbled across a link to it who knows where, and I was instantly enthralled. It's very much in the vein of an Asimov short-story, and definitely worth the read.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Shinichirō Watanabe storyboarded episode 12 of Birdy the Mighty Decode?!? It's true (unless there's an encyclopedia error), a a little bit weirdly cool, but surprising. I suppose that the scenario that Brian outlined could be true, I just have trouble figuring out how the man pays his bills. I didn't figure that working in anime really paid all that well for anybody.

My only complaint thus far against Manglobe is The Sacred Blacksmith, and mostly because I suckered myself into starting it and was too stubborn to give up even after I'd figured out that I didn't like it. I wasn't very enthusiastic about Samurai Champloo either, but I'm still curious about House of Five Leaves, which looks too peculiar not to catch my interest (I'm a sucker for idiosyncratic artwork), and Michiko to Hatchin as well.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Based on my experience helping out at my local library branch, I don't think that's how libraries get books actually, it isn't how mine does anyway. At my local system, and I've been lead to believe this is the norm, sure we get plenty of books as donations but almost none of them actually go into the library system. There's a committee which decides what books they want (and I've seen several people over the years commenting on book blogs saying that they are the ones who choose what books to buy for the library) and then buys new copies of books of the ones they want. I suppose they could be getting the books directly from the publishers, although again I don't think that's how my particular system does, but do I do doubt that most of a library's manga collection is going to come from donations.
Speaking of which, didn't realize that Adolf book I checked out from my college library today was so valuable. o_O
lys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
In response to the library question, you might also look to see if your library has a system in place to accept patrons' requests. My library has a request form on its website that can be filled in with title, author, isbn, etc. It's built more for requesting specific books than entire long-running series, but give it a try! If there's a series just starting that you'd like to check out, request it from your library, and if they notice it becoming popular with patrons they may make a point to collect the rest. I requested Twin Spica 1 back when it first came out, and now my library has through v7 on its shelves.
blackseer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Shinichiro Watanabe was actually here in Brazil in July to talk about his career and said he is currently reworking in the scrypt of the live-action of Cowboy Bebop. He also stated he is developing some kind of project that will be released next year, but couldn't announce it yet.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I mean no disrespect to Shinichiro Watanabe, he is a superb director, I was introduced to him through Cowboy Bebop, and was enticed to watch Samurai Champloo because of it. I've watched episodes 1-8 of Samurai Champloo on Funimation's website, and so far, it's not very gripping. And it's not Watanabe's fault, he is a great director, but compared to Cowboy Bebop, I can't see what's so great about Samurai Champloo. Does it get better later? I'm on episode 9.

Interesting obscure titles. I have a variety of anime in my collection, but there's not one I can say is obscure.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

anime#12570

Series composition by Team Rikka! Is that the same Studio Rikka that gave us the incomparable Time of Eve? Holy Crap!

Youkai Warrior wrote:
I mean no disrespect to Shinichiro Watanabe, he is a superb director, I was introduced to him through Cowboy Bebop, and was enticed to watch Samurai Champloo because of it. I've watched episodes 1-8 of Samurai Champloo on Funimation's website, and so far, it's not very gripping. And it's not Watanabe's fault, he is a great director, but compared to Cowboy Bebop, I can't see what's so great about Samurai Champloo. Does it get better later? I'm on episode 9...

I don't think so. The characters aren't a patch on Spike and Faye et al, and the style is nothing special. With its episodic structure and lacking the qualities that made Cowboy Bebop so good, I found it dull from start to finish. I later had a second go at watching the series to give it another chance and gave up about where you are now.

I'm not sure why the contributor was so down on House of Five Leaves, but each to their own, I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jennye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I work for a public library system and we order and pay for the vast majority of our manga from a library-friendly vendor (Ingram, in our case, and sometimes Amazon) just like we do everything else. I imagine we could request publisher-direct donations for specific manga-related community programs or book discussions, which is what that Viz form looks to be for, but we don't really do much of that (although how cool would that be? A Takehiko Inoue discussion? I'd be all over that!). Instead, we rely on reviews, bestseller lists, vendor offerings, and--most importantly--patron suggestions when choosing titles. Our collection services staff are awesome and open to whatever we think we can reasonably afford (and we'll make every effort possible to borrow the ones we can't through Interlibrary Loan).

As a patron, I take advantage of these options, too, and have contributed to our ever-growing stash o' manga whenever possible. That said, I'm totally going to email our buyers and target program planners to let them know about the donations possibility (they're pretty $-savvy and may already be aware of it, but it can't hurt to check). Very Happy
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I have a little note to add about Megazone 23.

Haruhiko Mikimoto only did the character design for Eve. The rest of Megazone 23's characters were actually designed by Toshihiro Hirano of Iczer-One and Dangaio fame.
DSX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
As a professional librarian, I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Answerman.

Libraries here in Canada (not really different from the United States) are, of course, funded by taxpayer dollars. However, the number of books added to library collections from donations is fairly small. Hate to say it, but the reality is if you're dropping off old books at the library, chances are the library will graciously accept them and then take them out back to the recycle bin.

Where do the manga in your library come from, then? Librarians. There are librarians who specialize in cataloging, or in reference, or (to answer this question) in collection development. Collection development librarians select and order almost all the material you find in any given library. Some are familiar with manga. Many are not. Hence, the librarians will look up reviews in databases and journals to see what is recommended, popular, or a hot seller. They will purchase these for their library through vendors and add them to the shelves.

As for why some manga eventually drop off the radar at the library, it might be because the books were damaged or stolen, or because of poor circulation. Some titles, like Boys Over Flowers, go out of print and may be impossible to reacquire.

As a librarian myself who has worked with collection development librarians, I wanted to give an accurate answer to this question. And, it's absolutely possible to request titles from your local library. Go ask them!
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

anime#12570

Series composition by Team Rikka! Is that the same Studio Rikka that gave us the incomparable Time of Eve? Holy Crap!

I don't think so, they do have a new work coming out in the Spring of 2012. They are working on an OVA adaptation of the Manga Kimi no Iru Machi (A Town where you live)
anime#13306
jennye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Bebop was my gateway drug into anime and now pretty, well-loved box sets of both it and warm-fuzzy-cackle-generating Champloo reside on my sadly puny anime shelf. Back in the day, I even named one of my D&D Oriental Adventures characters after Watanabe. My brother and his friends kept calling him "Shimmy Shimmy" and "Chimichanga" because they couldn't remember "Shinichiro".... *sheesh*

BTW, I thought House of Five Leaves was beautimous, too, and would happily snap it up if it ever comes out on DVD (and doesn't impede me paying my mortgage, which on a public service salary is always a possibility). Razz
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
@ jennye,

If you have an all region player you can order House of Five Leaves from Siren Visual in Australia.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Although I hate to be one of those picky fanboys, I'm gonna be. I'm wondering if it was Angel Dust that Pachy_Boy is referring to or if it was Angel/Dust Neo. I was just holding my copy and noticed it was released by ADV Manga *sigh* and at the time I wondered if there would be another volume. It does, however, refer to Angel Dust from the pages of NewType. After a time I realized there wouldn't another volume. But I agree with the dude, it really was a good book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3