• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yuruyuri Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
But something as brainless as YuriYuri has people claiming it to be some masterpiece or one of their favorite shows.

As far as I can tell, very few people (myself being one of them) are praising this show in any way. The only reviews for it I've seen on this site are negative and I don't see very good ratings for it on the fan sites I visit, either.

I wish I could say more and respond to other posts, but I'm not in the greatest position to be doing so right now.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
The show received 2's and 2.5's of five from the Summer Preview 2011 reviewers. So it shouldn't be a surprise that further reviews of the show are equally negative.

For me the character designs turned me off. But that doesn't mean that there is not those for whom this is their cup of tea or 'raison d'etre' (sorry, loved Ergo Proxy). More power to you.

That said though, there shouldn't be hate for Carl's review, his peers on ANN for the most part gave a consistent 2 with very little deviation for this show. I don't hate ANN for shortchanging PMMM, despite me thinking the show so far is the best of the year.
Robotkat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
As far as I can tell, very few people (myself being one of them) are praising this show in any way.

Are you sure? What about the majority of this thread, or any thread, comments or otherwise, connected to a demeaning review of this show? Otherwise there seems to be a rather loud minority who think this awful show is genius.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Robotkat wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
As far as I can tell, very few people (myself being one of them) are praising this show in any way.

Are you sure? What about the majority of this thread, or any thread, comments or otherwise, connected to a demeaning review of this show? Otherwise there seems to be a rather loud minority who think this awful show is genius.

Have you actually read this thread? I haven't counted, but it seems like about half of the posters are sooner agreeing with the review than disagreeing.

No matter how garbage a show is, there will always be fans of it. Denying that is simply naive. So of course there are vocal fans of this (of course, I don't consider it "garbage"). But you're here acting like it's a surprise and it shouldn't be happening.

By the way, this show is not awful. Even the review this thread is based on agrees with that much.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
Wow. This is truly interesting. Someone should conduct an indept study on the difference in tastes between American and Japanese Anime fans, with focus groups and everything (if it hasn't already been done before).

I for one, being neither American or Japanese, am really puzzled by this divide. Why can't (many) Americans appreciate the 'Slice-of-life' genera of shows? Must every single episode of a show contain violence, gore, action or convoluted plot twists to entertain and sustain one's attention? Perhaps it's due to the culture and the media that one is exposed to from young and the expectations that it brings about.

As some of you might already know, many Anime in Japan now are not plot based, but character based. In other words, character love... or in more academic terms, database consumption. Meaning to say that people watch shows not for the plot, but to see more of the characters and their interactions. This is mainly what the whole 'slice-of-life' genera is about, sitting back, turning off and watching the characters on screen go about their own lives as you forget your own for 23 minutes.

So, what I'm trying to say here is to be sure to adjust your perspectives and expectations when going into a show like this and be aware of the intended demographic. Not to mention, there's always the option of *gasp* not watching the show.

Regarding the show itself, I personally found it satisfyingly entertaining. ...and just to make things clear, I'm not 'only' into these kinds of shows but can also fully appreciate brilliant works like Steins;Gate, Ano Hana, etc...

After the first two episodes, I was hooked on the personalities, quirks and mannerisms of the characters and the situations that they find themselves in. Of course, the show does take some time to get going, but it does get better and better as it goes along. Some of the latest episodes, for example, are undoubtedly hilarious.

While definitely not as high up on my list as Nichijou and Mitsudomoe, I still firmly believe that Yuru Yuri is a perfectly servicable show that does not deserve half of the negativity it gets.

*Can't get the theme out of my head!!!*
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Written text

Some of us do like Slice of Life shows. I for one like SOL shows. It is not that all American fans dislike SOL shows, I know a good bit do, however some fans (me being one of them) just could not get into the shows. That is all. I found the first episode funny at times, but I did not find it interesting enough to keep watching it on a weekly basis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

I for one, being neither American or Japanese, am really puzzled by this divide. Why can't (many) Americans appreciate the 'Slice-of-life' genera of shows? Must every single episode of a show contain violence, gore, action or convoluted plot twists to entertain and sustain one's attention? Perhaps it's due to the culture and the media that one is exposed to from young and the expectations that it brings about.

This is the generation that grew up with the likes of Seinfeld, the famous "show about nothing" but slice-of-life show! Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Seinfeld had episodic plots. Whether they were about Muffin tops or George's job or Newman or whatever. There was always something that the characters were trying to do.

YRYR does not have that. At all. At most they'll just change the setting (Beach episode, Comiket, class trip to Kyoto, etc). I think the most plot I remember was when Ayano and Kyouko made a bet that if Kyouko scored lower than Ayano then she would be kicked out of the Tea Clubroom (where the Amusement club typically hangs out). But even with that, Kyouko did score lower and Ayano still let them hang out there (cause she's so tsundere for Kyouko).

It literally is a show about nothing. People say that about Seinfeld in the US, but it's somewhat of a misnomer. If you think about it, Seinfeld wasn't much different than any sit-com what with the episodic plots and occasional relationship changes. I don't really see anything different between it and the Drew Carey Show... other than it being more focused outside of work whereas Drew kept an even balanced (or perhaps even a slight focus on work) approach.

If you don't like the character interactions between the main four and the Seitokai, then you are going to absolutely abhor YRYR, cause that's all it is.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
That's my point. Many American fans just look in the wrong places or just can't appreciate the 'nothingness' of slice-of-life. It's not supposed to be a masterpiece, it's supposed to be fun. It's about the experience and not the result. Entertainment. Which is pretty much why we watch Anime in the first place.

This is tricky to word, but I am not denying the fact that every show has its own unique quirks that might or not push the correct buttons and not every Anime is for everyone. If it doesn't float your boat, so be it. Just don't spoil the fun for others or look down at such shows, believing your own tastes to be superior. (This happens more often than you would think).
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
It's sad to see this so get so much negativity. I can understand how it may be slow-paced for some people, but I don't understand the hate.

The interesting thing is, there was a lot of moaning in the yuri community about this title getting an anime, mostly based on the fact that there are not really any canonical female/female relationships going on here. It's certainly one of the least yuri titles in Yuri Hime, which is the flagship yuri magazine and features many stories of well-written and moving yuri romance.

Yet as far as I can tell, as a whole, Yuru Yuri has surpassed expectations. It seems to have been enjoyable by both a great number of yuri fans as well as a surprising amount of (previously?) non-yuri fans as well.

However, despite the accusations in this thread, I haven't seen anybody claiming this is the greatest show ever. You certainly aren't going to hear any hardcore yuri fans saying that. We desire canon romance above all things, and the feelings many of my compatriots have toward this show are very tsundere.

"This show is so pointless! Agh, but they're so cute together...awww..."

For me, Yuru Yuri is cute, well-animated, the humor is clean and (I find) frequently amusing, the characters are enjoyable even if they aren't the most original, and it is yuri-ish. This is Yuri Hime's first anime adaptation, and while I'm sure that they were "playing it safe" as much as possible, it looks to have been a success for them. It certainly has been with me.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Another useless, Bias review from ANN.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
I'm going to take an educated guess and say that Japanese slice-of-life shows don't take off in America because American life is quite different from Japanese life. That is, there is little an ordinary American can relate to in such a show like this. I haven't seen this show, but from what I can piece together: Most American schools do not have the kind of clubs Japanese schools have, gender-segregated schools are of a small minority, homosexual love of any sort is taboo on any level, tea is used only as a beverage and not for ceremonies, and most importantly, many female personality types common and appealing in Japan are considered bizarre or even disagreeable in America (most prominently the shy and submissive girl, seen as a good future wife in Japan and as an extreme doormat in America).

It's not that such Americans can't appreciate character interaction or a more relaxed pace to television. The Lifetime and Hallmark TV channels are made of almost nothing but slow slice-of-life (non-comedic) stuff and are big successes on cable. Sense and Sensibility was popular enough for a movie adaptation that's made a big enough splash to remain in the mainstream to this day. It's that the culture gap is just too big. There's little common ground for an American to watch a Japanese slice-of-life, just as I'd bet none of the shows on Lifetime or Hallmark could ever hope for anything more than total failure in Japan because they are dependent on intimate familiarity with American culture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3