• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Main Character, Staff Identified

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Though I'll admit that I'd much rather have a UC Crossbone Gundam/F91 TV series instead. This series looks to be interesting enough in its own right. The cast list has me impressed and the mecha designs so far look quite interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Mizushima and Kuroda on board? Dare I say this might actually be.... good?

I'm generally not too interested in Gundam, but I must say that staff has me at least partly interested in this new series.
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
kushiel wrote:
Wow, the boys will be even prettier than the ones in Gundam Wing!

Rolling Eyes

I love Yun Kouga, but do we need another 'bishie' filled Gundam series?

Short answer yes.

Long Answer YES YES YES. Bring on the Zechs/Miliardo. I can already imagine how Brian Drummord would sound, ahh I need to throw in the Gundam Wing DVD for old time sake. And because it's awesome.

Damn, that sounds pretty good actually. (Then again, I'm currently watching 0080 and 0083 again, so I don't want to get caught in Gundam overload...that and all the other stuff I'm watching and reading... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ). By the way, you mentioning Brian Drummond made me look up to see what else he has been in, and I discovered that along with his more famous roles (like Vegeta from DBZ) he also voiced Andy Waltfeld in the English version of MSG SEED (I've only seen the Japanese subbed version). *Goes looking for clips of dialog on youtube*

Oronae wrote:
Though I'll admit that I'd much rather have a UC Crossbone Gundam/F91 TV series instead. This series looks to be interesting enough in its own right. The cast list has me impressed and the mecha designs so far look quite interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I'm still hoping for an OVA one of these days to finally do justice to these series. Sad
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
SarcasticPirate wrote:
*Goes looking for clips of dialog on youtube*

OH HELL, WHY DID I JUST DO THAT!!! Shocked

I didn't find any of Brian Drummond's dialog, but the rest of it sounded like complete crap. >__< Seriously, you know the voice acting is bad (in English or in Japanese for that matter) when during one of the most serious moments you are laughing your head off.

Another quick question: Does Murrue always sound like a hick, or was it just in the short clip I saw her in?
Tenkaitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, this does have a pretty darn good production crew. Dare I say I'm excited for an AU Gundam series?

GASP!

The only AU Gundam I like is Turn-A. 'Cause it rocks.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Canuckian wrote:
I'm also liking the fact it'll be in HD, just hope when Bandai Entertainment releases it here they'll release it on double formats(Standard Definition on DVD, and the HD on which ever new format, Blu-Ray, or HD-DVD, they determine fits them best) as there will be a Standard Def version aswell I'd hope. I also wonder if Bandai Entertainment would provide HD Masters to channels willing to air it on a HD Feed?

You can pretty much guarantee it will be on Blu-Ray. Bandai have been in Sony's pocket for a while - heck, Sony funded the production of Gundam Seed and its sequel and you'll notice that the bulk of the music used in those series was from Sony Music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
HD Gundam. Does this mean we will finally get a 16:9 Gundam tv series? I'm so tired of all these 4:3 Sunrise shows. Almost all of the new releases that I have been watching lately have been anamorphic, except for shows like Destiny and My-Hime. Bones is the only other company that seems to be releasing 4:3 shows. I've been so spoiled by widescreen, that I even do about a 5% overscan with 4:3 shows and add a little non-linear stretch into the equation.

As far as the UC timeline goes I'm a bit surprised that a Gundam Sentinel series never manifested, since Bandai has released so many GFF, MG and HG kits recently, This would also make a nice follow up to the Zeta Gundam films. I'd rather see this as a post Gripps conflict release than a ZZ trilogy.

Back on topic, I always like when there are multiple mecha designers. This reminds me of Zeta where you had Nagano's alien looking Quebeley and Hambrabi along with his gorgeous 100 Shiki, Kobayashi's stout looking The-O and Marasai along with his signature Baund Doc, Fujita's transforming Messala, Gabthley and Gaplant along with his famous Zeta, and of course Okawara as the main MS designer. You even had the mysterious Bishal Design and Kondo working on MS in the series. This helped create a nice variety in designs, unlike shows like Gundam Wing where all the MS looked very similar.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Hard-core sci-fi and the most beautiful character design on earth is my personal wet dream come true.

You said it my friend. Just, GUHHHHH. *geekgasm* Very Happy
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
It still has a hint of that "anti-war" bias, just like Mitsuo Fukuda. Those guys over there in Japan believe that they only way wars can be stopped is by pretty guys (and pretty girls) with big, bad walking weaponry.

I just had my fill of this crap.

Gundam Seed's ripping off of the 1st Gundam plus the "addition of a sex scene to Amuro."
Seed Destiny's "great protagonist shift due to the so-called fan demand;" amongst everything else.
Mai-ZHime's splitting of the happy couple (Akane and Kazuya) by a bunch of hooded men whose hoods give me painful reminders of the KKK.
And Code Geass. Viral marketing of Pizza Hut. "Table-tan (Nina Erstin)."

Now we're back to "more than the required number of Gundams" (which were 3, last I checked). I fear the worst. Sad
Panon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
It still has a hint of that "anti-war" bias, just like Mitsuo Fukuda. Those guys over there in Japan believe that they only way wars can be stopped is by pretty guys (and pretty girls) with big, bad walking weaponry.

I just had my fill of this crap.

Yeah totally, what I wouldn't give for a return to the good old days when Gundam treated war as if it were awesome and didn't bother with this ridiculous "war is bad" stuff.

Oh wait.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a fairly solid staff so far. I can't wait for voice actor announcements.

With the director of Fullmetal Alchemist at the helm, there's a strong chance this could pull Gundam out of the quagmire of crapiness it's been stuck in.

The premise sounds pretty run of the mill for Gundam, but it was just a sentence, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Yeah totally, what I wouldn't give for a return to the good old days when Gundam treated war as if it were awesome and didn't bother with this ridiculous "war is bad" stuff.

Oh wait.

It's hipocracy. If war's so bad, then why have all these cool weapons?

I know for a FACT that the dreaded "Mustache Gundam" that was the lead MS from Turn-A wouldn't've been the 100th MG model the "mecha kills people" mindset wasn't in full effect. Razz
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

Uh, remember that the US Army General Douglas MacArthur's staff wrote the current constitution for Japan that specifically states "the Japanese people forever renounce war" by law. Who wants Japan to embrace war?

It's a exaggeration in any case. After all, replace "Japan" and "United States" and that could be an exaggeration based on Terminator 2.

Quote:
Gundam Seed's ripping off of the 1st Gundam plus the "addition of a sex scene to Amuro."

Uh, creator Yoshiyuki Tomino himself wrote a "sex scene to Amuro" in his Gundam novels. In fact, free from the network restrictions of television, Tomino is rather open about writing sex scenes in novels.

Quote:
And Code Geass. Viral marketing of Pizza Hut. "Table-tan (Nina Erstin)."

As opposed to pitching plastic models? Most robot anime sells merchandise--especially Gundam. Most people have made their peace with that.

Quote:
Now we're back to "more than the required number of Gundams" (which were 3, last I checked). I fear the worst. Sad

When was this rule voted on? The first Gundam sequel ever, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, had six Gundams (three Gundam Mk. IIs, one Zeta Gundam, one Psyco Gundam, and one Psyco Gundam Mk. II), and Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ had four Gundams (Gundam Mk. II, Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta Gundam, and Psyco Gundam Mk. II). In fact, in 28 years, every single Gundam television series has had more than three Gundams except for the first one and Turn A Gundam.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Uh, remember that the US Army General Douglas MacArthur's staff wrote the current constitution for Japan that specifically states "the Japanese people forever renounce war" by law. Who wants Japan to embrace war?

Considering that Japan's neighbors are China, North Korea, on down; it's not really a question of who wants Japan to do what.

Quote:
Uh, creator Yoshiyuki Tomino himself wrote a "sex scene to Amuro" in his Gundam novels. In fact, free from the network restrictions of television, Tomino is rather open about writing sex scenes in novels.

Everbody who knows KNOW what Tomino did in the novels. Why do you think we have adult anime?

Quote:
As opposed to pitching plastic models? Most robot anime sells merchandise--especially Gundam. Most people have made their peace with that.

Not as an opposition; as common sense. Adding a stalking-lesbian-table-sex scene is one sub-plot-point too many for a company that can't even create its own original sub-plot-points as of late.

Quote:
When was this rule voted on?

There WAS no vote.

I'm referring to those overpowered machinery that like to wipe out hordes of enemy MS like the ones seen in Wing, Seed, and Destiny. Piloted by guys who are trademark "fangirl's dream come true" yet wouldn't know how to function in reality save the local Chippendale.

Movies and shows about battles and war tend to be series, with a little comedy here and there. It's not cute girls, handsome guys, attractive people versus ugly people; the idea that "someone's stance is better because the guy on the other side wore a mask." It's about survival, consequences, overcoming impossible odds and the sacrifices one has to endure.

(Which is why you're seeing a Transformers movie come out this July instead of a G.I. Joe movie. Because of the "war," major studios don't wanna do it because it will gaurantee to "split the Red Sea.")

Which is why I thought crapping all over Destiny's Shinn Asuka (and spitting on his Japanese VA) was a mistake similar to Michael Richards (of Seinfeld) saying the n-word five times consecutively. I just can't let something like that go.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

Considering that Japan's neighbors are China, North Korea, on down; it's not really a question of who wants Japan to do what.

So if a piece of Japanese writing happens to have an anti-war theme, that's hardly a bad thing. General MacArthur seemed to think so, too. Smile

Quote:
Quote:

Everbody who knows KNOW what Tomino did in the novels. Why do you think we have adult anime?

So if the creator of Gundam has no problems with sex scenes with his Amuro, who should mind that Japanese TV standards and practices have somewhat caught up with the times?

Quote:
Quote:

Not as an opposition; as common sense. Adding a stalking-lesbian-table-sex scene is one sub-plot-point too many for a company that can't even create its own original sub-plot-points as of late.

So this whole hang-up has nothing to do with the marketing, but the sex scenes? That seems to be a trend. Wink

Quote:
Quote:
When was this rule voted on?

There WAS no vote.

I'm referring to those overpowered machinery that like to wipe out hordes of enemy MS like the ones seen in Wing, Seed, and Destiny. Piloted by guys who are trademark "fangirl's dream come true" yet wouldn't know how to function in reality save the local Chippendale.

Uh, the previous message just mentioned the quantity of Gundams, and didn't refer to their overpoweredness at all. Wink

Quote:
Movies and shows about battles and war tend to be series, with a little comedy here and there. It's not cute girls, handsome guys, attractive people versus ugly people;

The first Gundam series had cute girls, handsome guys, and attractive people versus ugly people (look at the Zabis). Gundam shows from twenty years ago and Gundam shows now have attractive people in all factions. Some win, some lose. Some live, some die. Being attractive didn't guarantee righteousness or survival.

Quote:
(Which is why you're seeing a Transformers movie come out this July instead of a G.I. Joe movie. Because of the "war," major studios don't wanna do it because it will gaurantee to "split the Red Sea.")

This hang-up isn't about Gundam anymore, is it? Wink

Quote:
Which is why I thought crapping all over Destiny's Shinn Asuka (and spitting on his Japanese VA) was a mistake similar to Michael Richards (of Seinfeld) saying the n-word five times consecutively. I just can't let something like that go.

Destiny was terrible, but n-word five times terrible? It's just one bad anime--move on. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5